Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Federica obtained a BSc degree in Psychological Science and Techniques and a MSc degree in Clinical Psychology, Developmental Psychology and Neuropsychology from the University of Milano-Bicocca (Italy), and a PhD in Psychology from the University of Southampton. She then held a Research Fellow position in Cognitive Neuroscience at the University of Central Lancashire for three years before joining the Department of Psychology at BU as a Lecturer in October 2021. During her MSc, PhD, and Research Fellow position Federica also did research visits at the University of Exeter, Macquarie University (Australia), and the MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit at the University of Cambridge.
Federica is Associate Editor for the Journal of Cognitive Psychology.
Federica's research interests lie in the field of Cognitive Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience. She studies visual cognition, and is particularly interested in the foveal and parafoveal processes during reading and the link between behavioural and neural measures. Federica uses a variety of experimental techniques such as eye movements, event-related potentials, and their co-registration in her research.
Please contact Federica by email if you might be interested in carrying out an MRes or PhD under Federica's supervision.
- Rettie, L., Potter, R.F., Brewer, G., Degno, F., Vachon, F., Hughes, R.W. and Marsh, J.E., 2024. Warning - Taboo Words Ahead! Avoiding Attentional Capture by Spoken Taboo Distractors. Journal of Cognitive Psychology.
- Zang, C., Zhang, Z., Zhang, M., Degno, F. and Liversedge, S.P., 2023. Examining semantic parafoveal-on-foveal effects using a Stroop boundary paradigm. Journal of Memory and Language, 128.
- Degno, F., Loberg, O. and Liversedge, S.P., 2021. Co-registration of eye movements and fixation-related potentials in natural reading: Practical issues of experimental design and data analysis. Collabra: Psychology, 7 (1).
- Marsh, J.E., Threadgold, E., Barker, M.E., Litchfield, D., Degno, F. and Ball, L.J., 2021. The susceptibility of compound remote associate problems to disruption by irrelevant sound: a Window onto the component processes underpinning creative cognition? Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 33 (6-7), 793-822.
- Degno, F. and Liversedge, S.P., 2020. Eye movements and fixation-related potentials in reading: A review. Vision (Switzerland), 4 (1).
- Degno, F., Loberg, O., Zang, C., Zhang, M., Donnelly, N. and Liversedge, S.P., 2019. A co-registration investigation of inter-word spacing and parafoveal preview: Eye movements and fixation-related potentials. PLoS ONE, 14 (12).
- de Lissa, P., McArthur, G., Hawelka, S., Palermo, R., Mahajan, Y., Degno, F. and Hutzler, F., 2019. Peripheral preview abolishes N170 face-sensitivity at fixation: Using fixation-related potentials to investigate dynamic face processing. Visual Cognition, 27 (9-10), 740-759.
- Hepsomali, P., Hadwin, J.A., Liversedge, S.P., Degno, F. and Garner, M., 2019. The impact of cognitive load on processing efficiency and performance effectiveness in anxiety: evidence from event-related potentials and pupillary responses. Experimental Brain Research, 237 (4), 897-909.
- Degno, F., Loberg, O., Zang, C., Zhang, M., Donnelly, N. and Liversedge, S.P., 2019. Parafoveal previews and lexical frequency in natural reading: Evidence from eye movements and fixation-related potentials. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 148 (3), 453-474.
- Laura Rettie. Auditory distraction during reading: Investigating the effects of background noise on parafoveal processing., (In progress)
- Petar Atanasov. Influences of visual and linguistic variables on reading: A co-registered eye-tracking and electroencephalography investigation., (In progress)
- Marianna Constantinou. Age-related differences in the effect of future anticipation on episodic memory retrieval., (In progress)
- Natasha Burns. Investigating the neural correlates of response inhibition and neuroplastic changes as a result of age., (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Critical Issues in Cognitive Neuroscience
- Research Project
Profile of Teaching UG
- Research Project
- Memory and Decision Making
- Cognition and Language
- Personal Tutor for levels 4, 5, 6
- Coordinator of Personal Tutors for level 6
- Advance HE, Fellow,
- Experimental Psychology Society, Member,
- North-West Visual Cognition Group, Member,
- Psychonomic Society, Member,