Dr Karl Rawstrone
- 01202 965846
- krawstrone at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Head of Department for Media Production
- Weymouth House W209, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Prior to his appointment as Head of Department (acting) for Media Production, Karl was Deputy Head of Department from 2019 and also held a number of leadership positions in the Department, including Postgraduate Programme Leader, Postgraduate Framework Leader, and Head of Education.
Recently he has been leading on the Department Research Plan and taking significant steps to enhance the research environment and bidding activities. Karl is also Deputy Chair of our Faculty Academic Standards and Education Committee (FASEC), and was a Faculty Academic Representative for Senate from 2018-21.
Prior to joining BU in 2013, Karl worked in both Further and Secondary Education for a number of years as a lecturer and teacher. He has more than 10 years of industry experience as a producer, director, and editor, working in high-end television for major broadcasters (BBC, Channel 4), smaller studios, and independent production companies.
Karl was awarded his PhD in 2020 for the thesis, Negotiating Dependence: Independent Television producers in England, an in-depth study of the leadership and organisation of this World-leading sector... His research continues to engage in media employment and organisational leadership.more
Negotiating Dependence: Independent Television Producers in the UK PhD Candidate: University of the West of England Director of Studies: Professor Andrew Spicer Supervisor: Dr. Sherryl Wilson
This ethnographic study considers individual independent television producers in the United Kingdom, the organisational structures they work within and with and the broader social, political and economic determinants of their practice.
The study sits within the field of Production Studies and is methodologically culturally-focused, foregrounding the espoused working practices, beliefs and behaviours of the contributors.
- Rawstrone, K., 2016. Methodological Issues: Questions and interventions in the qualitative interview. In: Production Studies: Film, Television, and their Industrial Contexts 15 June 2016 DeMontfort University.
- Rawstrone, K., 2015. The Hunting of the Independent Television Producer: Snark or Boojum? In: New Directions in Film and Television Studies 14-15 April 2015 Watershed Bristol.
- Rawstrone, K., 2014. The Useful Imaginary of Independence in British Broadcasting. In: Independent States 4-5 September 2014 Edge Hill University.
- Rawstrone, K.. Once upon a time, there was a Broadcaster… responding to the distributed risk of children’s programme production and consumption.. Children's Media Foundation. Available from: https://www.thechildrensmediafoundation.org/public-service-media-report/articles.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Approaches to Editing
- Developing Editing Principles and Practice
- Masters Production Project (MA Post Production Editing)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Multicamera and Live Production
- The Dissertation
- Head of Department (acting), Department of Media Production. https://staffprofiles.bournemouth.ac.uk/display/krawstrone
- Deputy Chair, FMC Faculty Academic Standards and Education Committee
- Deputy Head of Department, Department of Media Production
- Framework Leader, Postgraduate Media Production Framework
- MA in Creative Media Practice (Bournemouth University, 2011)
- PGCE in (Secondary) Art (University of Surrey Roehampton, 2001)
- BA (Hons) in Media Production (Newcastle-upon-Tyne Polytechnic, 1989)
- Bournemouth University Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP): Media Industries research Group, Member (2021-),
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association, Member (2017-), http://www.meccsa.org.uk/
- Digital Production Partnership, Member,