Dr Kate Terkanian
- 01202 968816
- kterkanian at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in History
- Weymouth House W404, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
- Terkanian, K., 2022. From women operators to technical assistants: women in the BBC’s wartime engineering division. Women's History Review, 31 (4), 580-602.
- Baker, J., Mendes, K. and Terkanian, K., 2021. Labour, media and technology: editors' introduction. WOMENS HISTORY REVIEW.
- Terkanian, K. and Chignell, H., 2020. Nesta Pain: The Entangled Media Producer. Media History, 26 (1), 20-33.
- Cosson, F. and Terkanian, K., 2023. The Graduate Project: A Model for Embedded Employability in Arts and Humanities Undergraduate Education. In: Broadley, T., Cai, Y., Firth, M., Hunt, E. and Neugebauer, J., eds. Handbook of Graduate Employability. SAGE.
- Yates, C., Terkanian, K. and Foster, N., 2021. Collating existing data on communities and cultural institutions on the south coast (Hampshire and Dorset).. Bournemouth University project: none, an internal publication.
- Terkanian, K., 2022. A Local Institution Quietly Closes. Dorset History Centre Blog. Available from: https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/dorset-history-centre-blog/2022/10/21/a-local-institution-quietly-closes/.
- Terkanian, K.. Online Public Lecture: Pioneering Women in the BBC. Available from: https://blogs.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/2023/06/02/online-public-lecture-pioneering-women-in-the-bbc/?utm_source=digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily.
- Bournemouth and Beales: Department Stores, Community, and the Decline of the High Street (BU ACORN Fund, 15 Feb 2022). Awarded
- 6th World Conference of the IFPH, Documenting the High Street: Collecting Memories and Reimagining the Future, 16 Aug 2022, Berlin, Germany
- Doing Women's Film and Television History: Histories of Women in Film and Television: Then and Now, “Translating radio productions into television programmes: the post-war career of BBC writer/producer Nesta Pain”, 10 Jul 2021, Maynooth, Ireland, Online
- Doing Women's Film and Television History: Histories of Women in Film and Television: Then and Now, Roundtable: International Perspectives on Women’s Television Production Histories, 10 Jul 2021, Maynooth, Ireland, online
- Oral History & The Media, Unity and Isolation: BBC Employee Experiences during the Second World War, 09 Jul 2021, Online
- Gendered Labour, Technology and the Media Workshop, From Women Operators to Technical Assistants: Women in the BBC’s Wartime Engineering Division, 11 Jan 2019, University of Sussex
- Transmitters, Trust and Confidence: Wartime Women and Transmitters at the BBC, 18 Dec 2018, Alexandra Palace, London
- What is British Contemporary History Now?, Consensus Panel, 13 Sep 2017, London
- Women and the Wider World, Influencing the International Listener: Nesta Pain and the Projection of Britain, 01 Sep 2017, University of Birmingham, UK
- Tracing Entanglements in Media History, Nesta Pain at the BBC. The Entangled Producer, 17 May 2017, Lund University, Sweden
- Comparative Homefronts: World War II, Maintaining Authority – The BBC, the Home Front and Woman Power, 14 Jan 2016, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
- Female Agency, Activism and Organisation, Gendering Jobs at the BBC, 04 Sep 2015, University of Kent, Canterbury
- “The Ideal Woman”: Interrogating Femininity across Disciplines and Time, Why We Fight: Rosie the Riveter, the Pin-Up Girl and Post-War America, 11 Mar 2011, Queen’s University Belfast
- PhD in History (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- MA in History (University of Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA, 2009)