Dr Richard Heslop
- 01202 964106
- rheslop at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Criminology
- Royal London House R204, Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, BH1 3LT
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Richard Heslop is the Programme Leader for the BA (Hons) Degree in Sociology and Criminology.
Before joining Bournemouth University in 2016 Richard was a Sergeant in West Yorkshire Police, where he served for 28 years.
He is a Fulbright Scholar (University of Cincinnati, 2012) and in 2014 he was Visiting Bramshill Scholar at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, where he taught courses on international criminal justice and policing.
Richard holds degrees in Sociology, Politics and Education and, as such, he brings a multi-disciplinary approach to his research and teaching. Dr Heslop is the Editor for Practitioner Liaison at Police Practice & Research: An International Journal.
- Heslop, R., 2015. The contribution of David H. Bayley, policing research pioneer. Police Practice and Research, 16 (6), 512-526.
- Heslop, R., 2012. A sociological imagination: Simon Holdaway, police research pioneer. Police Practice and Research: an international journal, 13 (6).
- White, D. and Heslop, R., 2012. Educating, legitimising or accessorising? Alternative conceptions of professional training in UK higher education: A comparative study of teacher, nurse and police officer educators. Police Practice and Research, 13 (4), 342-356.
- Heslop, R., 2011. The British Police Service: professionalisation or McDonaldization? International Journal of Police Science and Management, 13 (4).
- Heslop, R., 2011. Book Review - Trends in policing: interviews with police leaders across the globe (Volume 3). Police Practice and Research: an international journal, 12 (6).
- Heslop, R., 2011. Community engagement and learning as 'becoming': Findings from a study of British police recruit training. Policing and Society, 21 (3), 327-342.
- Heslop, R., 2011. Reproducing police culture in a british university: Findings from an exploratory case study of police foundation degrees. Police Practice and Research, 12 (4), 298-312.
- Heslop, R., 2006. 'Doing a Maslow': Humanistic education and diversity in police training. The Police Journal:, 79 (4).
- Heslop, R., 2006. Book Review - 'Achieving your Doctorate in Education'. Studies in the Education of Adults, 38 (2).
- Heslop, R., 2020. Life course criminology. In: Parker, J. and Ashencaen Crabtree, S., eds. Human Growth and Development: Critical and psycho-social approaches. Vol. 1 Children and Young People.. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Heslop, R., 2020. Life course criminology and adults. In: Parker, J. and Ashencaen Crabtree, S., eds. Human Growth and Development: Critical and psycho-social approaches. Vol. 2. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Heslop, R., 2014. A Conversation with Sir Norman Bettison: Former Chief Constable of West Yorkshire Police. In: Baker, B. and Das, D., eds. Trends in policing: interviews with police leaders across the globe. CRC Press.
- Heslop, R., 2012. Does the training of police recruits in England and Wales meet the needs of professional and ethical practice? Handbook of Policing, Ethics and Professional Standards. 204-213.
- Heslop, R., 2012. Does the current student officer training meet the needs of professional and ethical practice?’. In: McVean, A., Spindler, P. and Solf, C., eds. Handbook of Policing, Ethics and Professional Standards. London: Routledge.
- Heslop, R., 2019. Are UK universities more ethical than police organisations? In: 4th Annual Canterbury Centre for Policing Research Conference 19-20 June 2019 Canterbury Christchurch University UK.
- Heslop, R., 2013. A comparison of police pre-employment training and education in the UK and USA. In: THE FOURTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE HIGHER EDUCATION FORUM FOR LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT IN POLICING 3-4 September 2013 Canterbury Christchurch Unversity.
- Heslop, R., 2012. A sociological imagination: Simon Holdaway, police research pioneer. 525-538.
- Heslop, R., 2012. The McDonaldization of British Policing. In: Police Federation Seminar on Police Professionalisation 23-25 February 2011 Federation House Leatherhead UK.
- Heslop, R. and White, D., 2011. A new police studies for a new professional police service: changes and challenges from a UK perspective. In: 2nd Annual Conference of the Higher Education Forum for Police Learning and Development (POLCON 2) 6-7 July 2011 University of Northhampton.
- Heslop, R. and White, D., 2011. What is the attraction of nurse training as a model for professional education? An analysis of field and habitus in the construction of curricula for nurse, teacher and police officer training. In: Fifth Critical Perspectives on Professional Learning 15 June 2011 University of Leeds.
- Heslop, R., 2010. 'They didn't treat us like professionals' : a case study of police recruits trained at a university. In: Fourth Critical Perspectives on Professional Learning 11 January 2010 University of Leeds.
- Heslop, R., 2007. Learning the wrong things: a case study of police recruits trained at a university. In: Fifth International Conference on Researching Work and Learning 2-5 December 2007 Cape Town South Africa.
- Heslop, R., 2007. Them and Us: emerging findings from a case study of police recruits trained at a university. In: 37th Standing Conference on Teaching and Research in Education of Adults (SCUTREA) 3-5 July 2007 Queens University Belfast.
- Heslop, R., 2006. 'Doing A Maslow': Humanistic Education and the Problem with Diversity in Police Trainer Training. In: 35 th Annual Standing Conference on University Teaching and Research in Education of Adults (SCUTREA) 5-7 July 2005 University of Sussex.
- Heslop, R., 2013. Police Pre-employment training in the United States of America (a study conducted under the auspices of the UK - US Fulbright Commission). Authors Blog site: Published on Authors Fulbright 'Blog site'.
- Heslop, R., 2013. Ethics a question of Codes. Police Oracle. Available from: http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Comment/2013/Jul/19/Ethics-A-question-of-codes_68126.html.
- Heslop, R., 2013. Police pre-employment training in the U.K and U.S.A. British Society of Criminology Police Network Blog. Available from: http://bscpolicingnetwork.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/police-pre-employment-training-in-the-u-k-and-u-s-a/.
- Heslop, R., 2009. (EdD Thesis) Police recruit training and community engagement: unintended consequences. PhD Thesis. University of Leeds: School of Education.
- Heslop, R., 2013. Gentlemen Detectives (Magazine Article). The Chap. Published online.
- Heslop, R. and White, D., 2011. Ready to Serve (Police Review). Police Review (Janes). Published.
- Heslop, R., 2010. Modern Professionals (Police Review). Police Review. Published.
- Heslop, R., 2010. Learning Curve (Police Review). Police Review. Published.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Introduction to Social, Crime Theory and Deviance
Two cops for the price of one, Scottish Police College: Tulliallan, 04 Oct 2013 more
Inaugural Fulbright -Tulliallan Lecture, Scottish Police College
Comparing policing in the U.K and U.S.A, University of Cincinnati, USA, 30 Nov 2012 more
University of Cincinnati Criminal Justice Society
Comparing policing in UK and USA, Cincinnati Police HQ, 19 Nov 2012 more
Cincinatti Police Department: Presenation to the Chief of Police and Senior Officers and Staff:
- Religious Society of Friends (Quakers): Crime, Community & Justice Sub Committe, Member of Sub Committee (2016-)
- Police Practice and Research: an international journal, Editor for Practitioner Liaison, http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/gppr20/current; Police Practice and Research: an international journal
- Programme Leader, Programme Leader BA (Hons) Degree in Sociology and Criminology
- Professional Practice, Education and Learning (ProPel), Comparing UK and US Models of Police Education, 24 Jun 2014, University of Stirling
- International Association of Chief of Police, A Comparative Analysis of Entrance Level Police Training in the U.S., the U.K. and Australia: Current Trends and Issues., 28 Sep 2012, San Diego USA
- Hydra Facilitation, 20 Sep 2011, Accredited Hydra Facilitator/Course Director
- Police Custody Officers, 11 Jul 2005, Police Custody Officers
- Police Support Unit Commanders' Course, 07 Mar 2005, PSU Commander
- Diversity Trainers Course, 29 Sep 2003, Qualifies Police Diversity Trainer
- CENTREX (now College of Policing) Evaluation Workshop, 26 Aug 2003, Police Training Evaluation
- National Police Training (now College of Policing) Multiple Choice Question Writers, 26 Nov 2001, Police Examinations Multiple Choice Question Writer
- National Foundation Course in Criminal Investigation, 01 Feb 1999, National Police Criminal Investigation
- National Police Training (now College of Policing) : Trainers Development Programme
- National Police Training (now College of Policing) : Trainer Development Officer
- Doctor of Education in Police Training & Education (University of Leeds, 2009)
- PGCE in Post Compulsory Education (University of Huddersfield, 2000)
- MA in Politics: Democracy Studies (University of Leeds, 1999)
- BSc (Hons) in Sociology/Politics (Open University, 1997)
- Award of Bramshill Fellowship to teach and research for a full semester at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, USA (College of Policing, 2014)
- Fulbright Scholarship (Police Research) to research police education in USA. Hosted by University of Cincinnati: School of criminal Justice. Jointly hosted by Cincinnati Police Department (UK - US Fulbright Commission, 2012)
- Police Long Service and Good Conduct (awarded at 25 years service) (West Yorkshire Police, 2012)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (Monarch of the United Kingdom, 2012)
- Bramshill Scholarship: to research for a Doctorate at University of Leeds subject of police education (National Policing Improvements Agency, 2004)
- Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal (Monarch of the United Kingdom, 2002)
External Media and Press
- Police hurt by culture of incompetence, Daily Telegraph, 06 Dec 2016. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/