Dr Sae Oshima
- 01202 968186
- soshima at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic In Corporate and Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Business and management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Corporate culture
- Culture and cultural processes
- Identity in the Work Place
- Organisational Behaviour
- Qualitative methodology
- Social organisation
- Social theory
- Sociological theory
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I'm a trained microethnographer of social interaction. The objectives of my research include revealing the micro-foundations of marketing and management communication, pursuing societal and business outcomes as interactional projects, and proposing implications for training in different workplaces. My research has been disseminated through various academic outlets, as well as collaborations with practitioners and the wider public in the U.S., Denmark, Japan and the U.K.
- Asmuß, B. and Oshima, S., 2018. Strategy making as a communicative practice: the multimodal accomplishment of strategy roles. M@n@gement, 21 (2), 884-912.
- Oshima, S. and Asmuß, B., 2018. Mediated business: Living the organisational surroundings – Introduction. Culture and Organization, 24 (1), 1-10.
- Oshima, S. and Streeck, J., 2015. Coordinating talk and practical action: The case of hair salon service assessments. Pragmatics and Society, 6 (4), 538-564.
- Oshima, S., 2014. Balancing multiple roles through consensus: Making revisions in haircutting sessions. Text and Talk, 34 (6), 713-736.
- Oshima, S., 2014. Achieving consensus through professionalized head nods: The role of nodding in service encounters in Japan. International Journal of Business Communication, 51 (1), 31-57.
- Asmuß, B. and Oshima, S., 2012. Negotiation of entitlement in proposal sequences. Discourse Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of Text and Talk, 14 (1), 67.
- Oshima, S., 2022. Knowledge Work of Professional Clients. In: Engberg, J., Kastberg, P. and Fage-Butler, A., eds. Knowledge Communication: Concepts and Settings. Routledge.
- Oshima, S., 2021. Temporality of emotionalizing athletes. Olympic and Paralympic Analysis 2020: Mega events, media, and the politics of sport. The Centre for Comparative Politics and Media Research, Bournemouth University.
- Nielsen, M.F., Nielsen, A.M.R., Asmuß, B. and Hassert, L.O., 2020. Meetings. International Business Interaction Series, Book 6 Meetings. SocialFormats Publishing.
- Oshima, S., 2018. Embodiment of activity progress: The temporalities of service evaluation. In: Deppermann, A. and Streeck, J., eds. Time in Embodied Interaction. Synchronicity and sequentiality of multimodal resources. Jon Benjamins, 261-291.
- Nielsen, M., Nielsen, A., Asmuß, B., Hassert, L. and Oshima, S., 2016. Kapitel 6: Møder. Kommunikation i Internationale Virksomheder. Samfundslitteratur.
- Oshima, S. and Asmuß, B., 2017. Identities as Organizational Practices: The Case of Informal Lunchroom Meetings. In: British Academy of Management 5-7 September 2017 Warwick University. https://www.bam.ac.uk/proceedings British Academy of Management.
- Oshima, S., 2007. A multimodal analysis of the service-assessment sequence in haircutting interaction. In: Symposium About Language and Society-Austin (SALSA) XV 4-6 April 2007 University of Texas at Austin. Texas Linguistic Forum, 51 University of Texas at Austin.
- Oshima, S., 2009. Beauty and Consensus: Practices for Agreeing on the Quality of the Service in Client-Professional Interactions. PhD Thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
- Oshima, S., 2003. Symbolic Uses of Material Objects in Face-to-Face Interaction and Modern Art. Master's Thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
- Beverly Barker. Advertising Media S trategy and Planning Exploration of the strategy making approaches undertaken in the digital environment
Profile of Teaching PG
- Microethnography of Workplace Interaction
- Advanced Scientific Methods
- Advanced Qualitative Communication Research Methods
Profile of Teaching UG
- Principles of Advertising
- Microethnography of Workplace Interaction
- Philosophy of Science
- Communication Theory
- Communication in a Management Perspective
- Developing the Research Imagination
- Consumer Insights Development
- Consumer and Stakeholder Insights
- Consumer and Stakeholder Insights
- Dissertation Unit Leader
Customer Evaluations “in the Wild”, IULM University of Milan, 25 Mar 2021 more
Visiting Lecturer for IULM Corporate Communication International Week
Emotional Rationality in Service Encounters, King's Business School, 11 Dec 2019 more
King’s Colloquia on Organisation & Interaction
Newcastle University, 04 Dec 2018 more
Dazzling clients: Emotional rationality as an interactional achievement
Microethnography of Human Communication, Aarhus, Denmark, 09 Apr 2016 more
“Microethnography of Human Communication: A Case of Professionalized Head Nods in Service Encounters in Japan.” 2016. Lecture presented for Dansk Japansk Venskabsforening Aarhus (Danish Japanese Friendship Society Aarhus). Aarhus, Denmark.
The Micro-World of Communication, Aarhus, Denmark, 01 Oct 2015 more
“The Micro-World of Communication: A Microethnographic Approach to Workplace Interaction.” 2015. Lecture presented to prospective BAMMC programme students at Aarhus University (undervisning i studiepraktikken). Aarhus, Denmark.
Nodding as a Professional Practice, Aalborg, Denmark, 01 Mar 2013 more
“Nodding as a Professional Practice: A Microanalysis of Service Encounters in Japan.” 2013. Lecture presented for Japan Researchers Network Jylland workshop. Aalborg, Denmark.
9 Phrases and their insights into life in Denmark, Aarhus, Denmark, 02 Apr 2012 more
“9 Phrases – and their insights into life in Denmark.” 2012. Lecture presented for International Centre Orientation Day at Aarhus University. Aarhus, Denmark.
Assessment-Sequences in Haircutting Interactions, Roskilde, Denmark, 04 Mar 2011 more
“Service-assessment Sequences in Haircutting Interactions in Japan and the U.S.” 2011. Lecture presented for research groups, SCALPS (Sociolinguistics, Conversation Analysis, Language Pedagogy, Sociocultural Issues) and FGP (Funktionel grammatik og pragmatic) at Roskilde University. Roskilde, Denmark.
Beauty and Consensus, Aarhus, Denmark, 04 Nov 2010 more
“Beauty and Consensus: Practices for Agreeing on the Quality of the Service in Client-Professional Interactions.” 2010. Lecture presented for the national meeting of MOVIN (Microanalysis of verbal/non-verbal/visual Interaction). Aarhus, Denmark.
Public Speaking Workshop, Austin, Texas USA, 17 Sep 2009 more
“Public Speaking Workshop.” 2009. Lecture presented for AALI (Asian American Leadership Institute). Texas, USA
Microanalysis of Human Communication, Austin, Texas, 20 Jun 2008 more
“Microanalysis of Human Communication.” 2008. Lecture presented for Japanese Workers Association. Austin, Texas, USA.
The Art of Impromptu, Austin, Texas USA, 15 Nov 2006 more
“The Art of Impromptu.” 2006. Lecture delivered to “Professional Communication Skills” class at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Professionalism-as-interaction, Austin, Texas USA, 02 Oct 2006 more
“Professionalism-as-interaction.” 2006. Lecture delivered to “Professional Communication Skills” class at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Microethnography of Everyday Social Interaction, Champaign, IL, 26 Jul 2005 more
“Microethnography of Everyday Social Interaction.” 2005. Lecture presented for Wolfram Research, Inc. Illinois, USA
- Gendered talk at Japanese workplaces (Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, 01 Jul 2022). Awarded
- Research methods training course for Bangladeshi government officials (Bangladesh Government, 20 Jan 2020). In Progress
- Teaching Mobility at Bogazici University, Turkey (Erasmus+ Teaching Mobility, 15 Apr 2019). Completed
- Culture and Organization (Journal), Guest Co-Editor of Special Section (-2017)
- Boğaziçi University, Guest Lecturer
- IULM University of Milan, Visiting Lecturer
- Human Relations; Culture & Organization; Discourse Studies; Journal of Pragmatics; Journal of Pragmatics & Society; International Journal of Business Communication; Marketing Theory; Space & Culture, Ad-hoc Reviewer
- Reviewer, REF Reviewer Panel
- Co-organiser, FMC Research Process Seminars
- Qualitative Market Research: an international journal, 05 Apr 2023
- Marketing Theory: an international review, 21 Mar 2021
- Space and Culture: the journal, 01 Jan 2021
- International Journal of Business Communication, Anonymous peer review, 02 Oct 2017
- Culture and Organization, 01 Jan 2017
- Human Relations, Anonymous peer review, 01 May 2015
- Hermes (Denmark), Anonymous peer review, 01 Nov 2011
- Discourse Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of Text and Talk, Anonymous peer review, 01 Nov 2010
- Pragmatics and Society, Anonymous peer review, 11 Aug 2010
- Journal of pragmatics, Anonymous peer review, 09 Feb 2009
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Micro-actions for Gender Equality (09 Mar 2023)
- Small acts, big impacts: Empowerment through micro-actions (15 Nov 2022)
- Invited talk for AQR Spark (Association for Qualitative Research) (16 May 2019)
- Invited talk on microethnography for Danish Japanese Friendship Society Aarhus (02 Sep 2016)
- Public Speaking Workshop for AALI (Asian American Leadership Institute) (07 Sep 2009)
- Japanese Workers Association Lecture Series Title: “Microanalysis of Human Communication” (16 May 2008)
- "Microethnography of Company Meetings" delivered at at Wolfram Research Inc., Illinois, USA (18 Jul 2005)
- 9th European Communication Conference, Temporality of emotionalising athletes: a micro-ethnographic analysis of live sports, 19 Oct 2022, Aarhus, Denmark
- 2ND INTERNATIONAL AND INTERDISCIPLINARY CONFERENCE ON DISCOURSE AND COMMUNICATION IN PROFESSIONAL CONTEXTS, Affective-relational work in podcast advertising, 14 Aug 2019, Aalborg, Denmark
- 5th Nordic Interdisciplinary Conference on Discourse and Interaction, Dazzling clients: Emotional rationality as an interactional achievement, 21 Nov 2018, Aarhus, Denmark
- International Conference on Conversation Analysis, Designing‑by‑Committee: Interactive design by designing interactively, 11 Jul 2018, Loughborough University
- British Academy of Management 2017 Conference, Identities as organizational practices, 05 Sep 2017, Coventry, UK
- NORDISCO (The Nordic Interdisciplinary Conference on Discourse and Interaction), When the manager joins for lunch: Identity negotiations in organizational lunchroom meetings, 23 Nov 2016, Oslo, Norway
- International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis, Lunch at Work: Formal Business in Informal Surroundings, 04 Aug 2015, Kolding, Denmark
- ICCA 14 (International Conference for Conversation Analysis), Multimodal Responsive Action: The Social Organization of Service Evaluation in Professional-Client Interactions, 25 Jun 2014, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- ICCA 14 (International Conference for Conversation Analysis), Self-deprecations Through Assessments, 25 Jun 2014, Los Angeles, CA USA
- The 19th Nordic Network for Intercultural Communication Conference, Nodding as a Professional Practice: A Microanalysis of Service Encounters in Japan, 22 Nov 2012, Aarhus, Denmark
- Discourse-Communication-Conversation Conference, Assessments Beyond Assessing: Various Functions of “Good” in Performance Appraisal Interviews, 20 Mar 2012, Loughborough, UK
- Discourse-Communication-Conversation Conference, Achieving a Consensus on the Service Outcome Found in Haircutting Sessions, 20 Mar 2012, Loughborough, UK
- National Communication Association Convention, Balancing Multiple Roles through Professional Consensus: A Microanalysis of Client-professional Interaction During the Event of Fixing the Service Outcome, 16 Nov 2011, New Orleans, LA, USA
- The 10th Conference of the International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis, Functions of Differentiated Head Nods: A Sequential Analysis of Japanese Service Encounters, 11 Jul 2011, Fribourg, Switzerland
- European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium, Informal Practices in Formal Strategy Meetings: The Role of Entitlement in Negotiating Organizational Identities, 04 Jul 2011, Gothenburg, Sweden
- International Conference on Conversation Analysis, Professionalized Head Nods in Japanese Haircutting Sessions, 05 Jul 2010, Mannheim, Germany
- National Communication Association Convention, Multiple Second Pair Parts: The Coordination of Multiple Strands in the Service-Assessment Sequence of Beauty Salon Interactions, 17 Nov 2009, Chicago, IL, USA
- National Communication Association Convention, A Multimodal Analysis of the Service-Assessment Sequence in Beauty Salon Interactions, 18 Nov 2008, San Diego, CA, USA
- Association of Internet Researchers meeting 8.0: Let's Play!, Pragmatic Play? Some Possible Functions of English Emoticons & Japanese Kaomoji in Computer-Mediated Discourse, 17 Oct 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Symposium About Language and Society-Austin (SALSA) XV, "Are you sure you like it?": A Multimodal Analysis of the Approval/Disapproval Sequences in Haircutting Interactions, 11 Apr 2007, Austin, TX, USA
- National Communication Association Convention, A Multimodal Look at Repair Actions in an Activity of Rehearsing, 15 Nov 2005, Boston, MA, USA
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Hip-Hop Gestures: The Conduct of the M.C., 01 Jun 2005, Lyon, France
- International Society for Gesture Studies, The Candor of the Candidates: Embodiment in the 2004 U.S. Presidential Campaign, 01 Jun 2005, Lyon, France
- National Communication Association Convention, Roles of Objects in the Exchange of Speaker- and Listener-ship, 16 Nov 2004, Chicago, IL, USA
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Origami Hand Moves, 10 Jun 2002, Austin, TX, USA
- Re-Theorising Attention, Literature review and methodological consultancy. PHD and Magnetic Media, Dr. Janice Denegri-Knott (Leader), Stuart Armon, Dr. Rebecca Jenkins & Dr. Sevil Yesiloglu, 01 Jun 2018
- Research the future: Understanding human behaviour off and online, Methodological consultancy. The Nursery Research & Planning
- Dimensionalising Context, Literature Review and Methodological Consultancy. Global Media, Stuart Armon, Janice Denegri-Knott, Rebecca Jenkins, Melanie Gray, Chris Miles and Tauheed Ramjaun
- CARM (Conversation Analytic Role-play Method) training workshop, 13 Mar 2019
- Doctoral Supervision: New Supervisors, 03 May 2018, Certificate of Doctoral Supervision
- Pedagogical programme certificate (“Adjunktpædagogikum” in Danish), Aarhus University, 01 Aug 2012
- "Understanding Your Students", ASPECTS (Advancing Students’ Professional Excellence with Certificates in Teaching Series), University of Texas at Austin. USA., 01 Jan 2009
- “Leading Discussions”. ASPECTS (Advancing Students’ Professional Excellence with Certificates in Teaching Series), University of Texas at Austin, USA., 01 Aug 2008
- HEA Fellowship in HEA Fellowship (FHEA) (Higher Education Academy, 2018)
- Pedagogical programme certificate in Adjunktpædagogikum (Aarhus University, Denmark, 2012)
- ASPECTS in Understanding Your Students (University of Texas at Austin, USA, 2009)
- PhD in Communication Studies (University of Texas at Austin, 2009)
- ASPECTS in Leading Discussions (University of Texas at Austin, USA, 2008)
- MA in Communication Studies (University of Texas at Austin, 2003)
- BA (Hons) in Communications with a minor in Spanish (Millikin University, 2001)
- Best Full Paper Award 2017 (British Academy of Management, 2017)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Citizen Award (University of Texas at Austin, 2009)
- NCA Student of Colour Travel Grant (National Communication Association, 2008)
- David Bruton, Jr. Graduate Fellowship (University of Texas at Austin, 2002)
- James Millikin Scholar (Millikin University, 2001)
- Jere C. Mickel Human Relations Award (Millikin University, 2001)
- Multicultural Scholars Dominican Rep. Program, Full Scholarship (Millikin University, 2000)
- The Association for Qualitative Research, Member (2019-), https://www.aqr.org.uk/
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations, Member (2018-),
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations, Member (2018-), https://www.cipr.co.uk/
- British Academy of Management, Member (2017-),
- International Society for Conversation Analysis, Member (2013-),
- Japan Researchers Network Jylland, Member (2013-),
- The Nordic Network for Intercultural Communication, Member (2013-),
- MOVIN (Microanalysis Of Verbal/non-Verbal/Visual INteraction), Member (2010-),
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Member (2002-),
- National Communication Association, Member (2002-2011),