Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
- Asmuß, B. and Oshima, S., 2018. Strategy making as a communicative practice: the multimodal accomplishment of strategy roles. M@n@gement.
- Oshima, S. and Asmuß, B., 2018. Mediated business: Living the organisational surroundings – Introduction. Culture and Organization, 24 (1), 1-10.
- Oshima, S. and Streeck, J., 2015. Coordinating talk and practical action: The case of hair salon service assessments. Pragmatics and Society, 6 (4), 538-564.
- Oshima, S., 2014. Balancing multiple roles through consensus: Making revisions in haircutting sessions. Text and Talk, 34 (6), 713-736.
- Oshima, S., 2014. Achieving consensus through professionalized head nods: The role of nodding in service encounters in Japan. International Journal of Business Communication, 51 (1), 31-57.
- Asmuß, B. and Oshima, S., 2012. Negotiation of entitlement in proposal sequences. Discourse Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Study of Text and Talk, 14 (1), 67.
- Oshima, S., 2018. Embodiment of activity progress: The temporalities of service evaluation. In: Deppermann, A. and Streeck, J., eds. Time in Embodied Interaction. Synchronicity and sequentiality of multimodal resources. Jon Benjamins, 261-291.
- Nielsen, M., Nielsen, A., Asmuß, B., Hassert, L. and Oshima, S., 2016. Kapitel 6: Møder. Kommunikation i Internationale Virksomheder. Samfundslitteratur.
- Oshima, S. and Asmuß, B., 2017. Identities as Organizational Practices: The Case of Informal Lunchroom Meetings. In: British Academy of Management 5-7 September 2017 Warwick University. British Academy of Management.
- Oshima, S., 2007. A multimodal analysis of the service-assessment sequence in haircutting interaction. In: Symposium About Language and Society-Austin (SALSA) XV 4-6 April 2007 University of Texas at Austin. University of Texas at Austin.
- Oshima, S., 2009. Beauty and Consensus: Practices for Agreeing on the Quality of the Service in Client-Professional Interactions. PhD Thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
- Oshima, S., 2003. Symbolic Uses of Material Objects in Face-to-Face Interaction and Modern Art. Master's Thesis. The University of Texas at Austin.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Advanced Qualitative Communication Research Methods
- Advanced Scientific Methods
- Microethnography of Workplace Interaction
Profile of Teaching UG
- Consumer Insights Development
- Developing the Research Imagination
- Communication in a Management Perspective
- Communication Theory
- Philosophy of Science
- Microethnography of Workplace Interaction
- Principles of Advertising
Microethnography of Everyday Social Interaction, Champaign, IL, 26 Jul 2005 more
“Microethnography of Everyday Social Interaction.” 2005. Lecture presented for Wolfram Research, Inc. Illinois, USA
The Art of Impromptu, Austin, Texas USA, 15 Nov 2006 more
“The Art of Impromptu.” 2006. Lecture delivered to “Professional Communication Skills” class at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Professionalism-as-interaction, Austin, Texas USA, 02 Oct 2006 more
“Professionalism-as-interaction.” 2006. Lecture delivered to “Professional Communication Skills” class at the University of Texas at Austin, USA.
Microanalysis of Human Communication, Austin, Texas, 20 Jun 2008 more
“Microanalysis of Human Communication.” 2008. Lecture presented for Japanese Workers Association. Austin, Texas, USA.
Public Speaking Workshop, Austin, Texas USA, 17 Sep 2009 more
“Public Speaking Workshop.” 2009. Lecture presented for AALI (Asian American Leadership Institute). Texas, USA
Beauty and Consensus, Aarhus, Denmark, 04 Nov 2010 more
“Beauty and Consensus: Practices for Agreeing on the Quality of the Service in Client-Professional Interactions.” 2010. Lecture presented for the national meeting of MOVIN (Microanalysis of verbal/non-verbal/visual Interaction). Aarhus, Denmark.
Assessment-Sequences in Haircutting Interactions, Roskilde, Denmark, 04 Mar 2011 more
“Service-assessment Sequences in Haircutting Interactions in Japan and the U.S.” 2011. Lecture presented for research groups, SCALPS (Sociolinguistics, Conversation Analysis, Language Pedagogy, Sociocultural Issues) and FGP (Funktionel grammatik og pragmatic) at Roskilde University. Roskilde, Denmark.
9 Phrases and their insights into life in Denmark, Aarhus, Denmark, 02 Apr 2012 more
“9 Phrases – and their insights into life in Denmark.” 2012. Lecture presented for International Centre Orientation Day at Aarhus University. Aarhus, Denmark.
Nodding as a Professional Practice, Aalborg, Denmark, 01 Mar 2013 more
“Nodding as a Professional Practice: A Microanalysis of Service Encounters in Japan.” 2013. Lecture presented for Japan Researchers Network Jylland workshop. Aalborg, Denmark.
The Micro-World of Communication, Aarhus, Denmark, 01 Oct 2015 more
“The Micro-World of Communication: A Microethnographic Approach to Workplace Interaction.” 2015. Lecture presented to prospective BAMMC programme students at Aarhus University (undervisning i studiepraktikken). Aarhus, Denmark.
Microethnography of Human Communication, Aarhus, Denmark, 09 Apr 2016 more
“Microethnography of Human Communication: A Case of Professionalized Head Nods in Service Encounters in Japan.” 2016. Lecture presented for Dansk Japansk Venskabsforening Aarhus (Danish Japanese Friendship Society Aarhus). Aarhus, Denmark.
- Culture and Organization (Journal), Guest Co-Editor of Special Section (-2017)
- International Conference on Conversation Analysis, Designing‑by‑Committee: Interactive design by designing interactively, 11 Jul 2018, Loughborough University
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Origami Hand Moves, 10 Jun 2002, Austin, TX, USA
- National Communication Association Convention, Roles of Objects in the Exchange of Speaker- and Listener-ship, 16 Nov 2004, Chicago, IL, USA
- International Society for Gesture Studies, The Candor of the Candidates: Embodiment in the 2004 U.S. Presidential Campaign, 01 Jun 2005, Lyon, France
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Hip-Hop Gestures: The Conduct of the M.C., 01 Jun 2005, Lyon, France
- National Communication Association Convention, A Multimodal Look at Repair Actions in an Activity of Rehearsing, 15 Nov 2005, Boston, MA, USA
- Symposium About Language and Society-Austin (SALSA) XV, "Are you sure you like it?": A Multimodal Analysis of the Approval/Disapproval Sequences in Haircutting Interactions, 11 Apr 2007, Austin, TX, USA
- Association of Internet Researchers meeting 8.0: Let's Play!, Pragmatic Play? Some Possible Functions of English Emoticons & Japanese Kaomoji in Computer-Mediated Discourse, 17 Oct 2007, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- National Communication Association Convention, A Multimodal Analysis of the Service-Assessment Sequence in Beauty Salon Interactions, 18 Nov 2008, San Diego, CA, USA
- National Communication Association Convention, Multiple Second Pair Parts: The Coordination of Multiple Strands in the Service-Assessment Sequence of Beauty Salon Interactions, 17 Nov 2009, Chicago, IL, USA
- International Conference on Conversation Analysis, Professionalized Head Nods in Japanese Haircutting Sessions, 05 Jul 2010, Mannheim, Germany
- European Group for Organizational Studies Colloquium, Informal Practices in Formal Strategy Meetings: The Role of Entitlement in Negotiating Organizational Identities, 04 Jul 2011, Gothenburg, Sweden
- The 10th Conference of the International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis, Functions of Differentiated Head Nods: A Sequential Analysis of Japanese Service Encounters, 11 Jul 2011, Fribourg, Switzerland
- National Communication Association Convention, Balancing Multiple Roles through Professional Consensus: A Microanalysis of Client-professional Interaction During the Event of Fixing the Service Outcome, 16 Nov 2011, New Orleans, LA, USA
- Discourse-Communication-Conversation Conference, Achieving a Consensus on the Service Outcome Found in Haircutting Sessions, 20 Mar 2012, Loughborough, UK
- Discourse-Communication-Conversation Conference, Assessments Beyond Assessing: Various Functions of “Good” in Performance Appraisal Interviews, 20 Mar 2012, Loughborough, UK
- The 19th Nordic Network for Intercultural Communication Conference, Nodding as a Professional Practice: A Microanalysis of Service Encounters in Japan, 22 Nov 2012, Aarhus, Denmark
- ICCA 14 (International Conference for Conversation Analysis), Self-deprecations Through Assessments, 25 Jun 2014, Los Angeles, CA USA
- ICCA 14 (International Conference for Conversation Analysis), Multimodal Responsive Action: The Social Organization of Service Evaluation in Professional-Client Interactions, 25 Jun 2014, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis, Lunch at Work: Formal Business in Informal Surroundings, 04 Aug 2015, Kolding, Denmark
- NORDISCO (The Nordic Interdisciplinary Conference on Discourse and Interaction), When the manager joins for lunch: Identity negotiations in organizational lunchroom meetings, 23 Nov 2016, Oslo, Norway
- British Academy of Management 2017 Conference, Identities as organizational practices, 05 Sep 2017, Coventry, UK
- “Leading Discussions”. ASPECTS (Advancing Students’ Professional Excellence with Certificates in Teaching Series), University of Texas at Austin, USA., 01 Aug 2008
- "Understanding Your Students", ASPECTS (Advancing Students’ Professional Excellence with Certificates in Teaching Series), University of Texas at Austin. USA., 01 Jan 2009
- Pedagogical programme certificate (“Adjunktpædagogikum” in Danish), Aarhus University, 01 Aug 2012
- ASPECTS in Leading Discussions (University of Texas at Austin, USA, 2008)
- ASPECTS in Understanding Your Students (University of Texas at Austin, USA, 2009)
- Pedagogical programme certificate in Adjunktpædagogikum (Aarhus University, Denmark, 2012)
- BA (Hons) in Communications with a minor in Spanish (Millikin University, 2001)
- MA in Communication Studies (University of Texas at Austin, 2003)
- PhD in Communication Studies (University of Texas at Austin, 2009)
- James Millikin Scholar (Millikin University, 2001)
- Multicultural Scholars Dominican Rep. Program, Full Scholarship (Millikin University, 2000)
- Jere C. Mickel Human Relations Award (Millikin University, 2001)
- David Bruton, Jr. Graduate Fellowship (University of Texas at Austin, 2002)
- NCA Student of Colour Travel Grant (National Communication Association, 2008)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Citizen Award (University of Texas at Austin, 2009)
- Best Full Paper Award 2017 (British Academy of Management, 2017)
- British Academy of Management, Member (2017-),
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations, Member (2018-),
- International Society for Conversation Analysis, Member (2013-),
- International Society for Gesture Studies, Member (2002-),
- Japan Researchers Network Jylland, Member (2013-),
- MOVIN (Microanalysis Of Verbal/non-Verbal/Visual INteraction), Member (2010-),
- National Communication Association, Member (2002-2011),
- The Nordic Network for Intercultural Communication, Member (2013-),
The data on this page was last updated at 04:04 on April 21, 2018.