Dr Sarah Upson
- 01202 965863
- supson at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology
- Christchurch House C210, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Lecturer of Pharmacology with the Faculty of Science and Technology.
My research focuses on the design, fabrication and testing of biomaterials such as hydrogels, biodegradable polymers and biosynthetic conjugates towards optimising biocompatibility, and tissue integration.
Previous postdoctoral research projects include –
Working within the FP7 RESTORATION project to design, develop and synthesise biodegradable polymers for mandible fixation devices, alongside producing a biocompatible adhesive system intended to circumvent the use of screws in mandible reduction surgery.
A project co-written by myself and Dr Ferriera-Duarte entitled ‘development of PHBV-collagen fibrous membranes via Forcespinning™’, funding for this project was obtained from Medical Devices Innovation UK, through a sandpit collaboration with UCL and Leeds Universities. I conducted interdisciplinary research that focused on the synthesis of collagen conjugated poly(hydroxybutyrate-co-valerate) and poly(caprolactone)... Utilising Forcespinning™, to create an efficient and scalable process to manufacture nano and micro polymer fibrous membranes for use in tendon repair.
My current research includes the development of hybrid biomaterial systems consisting of degradable polymers and hydrogels for use in tissue engineering.more
- Upson, S.J., Benning, M.J., Fulton, D.A., Corbett, I.P., Dalgarno, K.W. and German, M.J., 2023. Bond Strength and Adhesion Mechanisms of Novel Bone Adhesives. Bioengineering, 10 (1).
- Smith, J.R., Lamprou, D.A., Larson, C. and Upson, S.J., 2021. Biomedical applications of polymer and ceramic coatings: a review of recent developments. Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing, 100 (1), 25-35.
- McColgan-Bannon, K.I.S., Upson, S., Gentile, P., Tausif, M., Russell, S., Dalgarno, K. and Ferreira, A.M., 2019. Biomimetic properties of force-spun PHBV membranes functionalised with collagen as substrates for biomedical application. Coatings, 9 (6).
- Upson, S.J., O'Haire, T., Russell, S.J., Dalgarno, K. and Ferreira, A.M., 2017. Centrifugally spun PHBV micro and nanofibres. Materials Science and Engineering C, 76, 190-195.
- Upson, S., Smith, J., Nevell, T., Barbu, E. and Tsibouklis, J., 2017. Polymeric Coatings for Dental Care. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Sciences, 5 (6), 227-243.
- Upson, S.J., Partridge, S.W., Tcacencu, I., Fulton, D.A., Corbett, I., German, M.J. and Dalgarno, K.W., 2016. Development of a methacrylate-terminated PLGA copolymer for potential use in craniomaxillofacial fracture plates. Materials Science and Engineering C, 69, 470-477.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Introduction to Pharmacology
- Introduction to Pharmacology
- Preparation and characterization of biocompatible hybrid materials based on polymer-collagen conjugates for tendon repair (EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Medical Devices, 01 Oct 2015). Completed
- RESTORATION (FP7-NMP, 02 Apr 2012). Completed
- International Association of Dental Research, Assessment of Novel Resorbable Polymers for Maxillofacial Applications, 15 Mar 2020, Boston, United States
- World Biomaterials Congress, 16 May 2016, Montreal, Canada
- Summer School on Biomaterials & Regenerative Medicine, 07 Jul 2014, Lake Garda, Italy
- International Association of Dental Research, In Vitro Degradation of Novel Resorbable polymers for Maxillofacial Applications, 15 Jun 2014, Cape Town, South Africa
- European Conference on Biomaterials, 08 Sep 2013, Madrid, Spain
- International Association of Dental Research, 15 Jun 2012, Iguassu Falls, Brazil
- GSK Science Symposium, 16 May 2012, Weybridge UK
- GSK Science Symposium, 18 May 2011, Weybridge UK
- GSK Science Symposium, 19 May 2010, Weybridge
- PhD in Drug Delivery, Biomaterials (BBSRC, GlaxoSmithKline, Portsmouth University, 2012)
- PGCE in Scientific Research Methods (2010)
- BSc (Hons) in Pharmaceutical Science (First class) (Portsmouth University, 2008)
- Tissue Cell and Engineering Society, Member (2017-),
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society, Member (2016-2017),
- International Association of Dental Research, Member (2013-2016),