Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Savvas Voutyras is a Lecturer in Politics at Bournemouth University, and Program Leader for MA Political Psychology. He has a background in political theory, in particular critical theory and discourse theory, and psychosocial studies. His work combines psychoanalysis and discourse theory to look at questions of nationalism, the politicisation of loss and mourning, and the politics of austerity during economic crisis. His current research focuses on recent shifts in conservative rhetoric, the construction of ‘populism’ in political and media discourse, and the discourse and politics of ‘evaluation’ and metrics in economic policy. He is a member of the editorial board of Psychoanalysis, Culture & Society. He is also a member of the international Center for the Study of Democracy, Signification and Resistance (DESIRE), based in Brussels.
- Glynos, J., Roussos, K., Voutyras, S. and Warren, R., 2023. Paradoxes in the Management of Timebanks in the UK’s Voluntary Sector: Discursive Bricolage and its Limits. Voluntas, 34 (3), 486-496.
- Voutyras, S., 2023. Routledge Handbook of Psychoanalytic Political Theory. PSYCHOANALYSIS CULTURE & SOCIETY, 28 (1), 139-143.
- Glynos, J. and Voutyras, S., 2022. Valuation practices and the cooptation charge: Quantification and monetization as political logics. Contemporary Political Theory, 21 (4), 588-610.
- Glynos, J. and Voutyras, S., 2016. Ideology as blocked mourning: Greek national identity in times of economic crisis and austerity. Journal of Political Ideologies, 21 (3), 201-224.
- Voutyras, S., 2016. This radicalisation which is not one: contentious politics against the backdrop of the Greek crisis. Journal of Contemporary European Studies, 24 (2), 223-239.
- Voutyras, S., 2023. Anti-populism, Meritocracy, and (Technocratic) Elitism. In: Katsambekis, G. and Stavrakakis, Y., eds. Elgar Research Handbook on Populism. Elgar.
- Roussos, K., Garcia, J.V. and Voutyras, S., 2023. Reflections on grassroots healthcare provisioning in Greece in times of crisis: Breaking with capitalocentric fantasy by prefiguring futures of solidarity. Social Movements and Everyday Acts of Resistance: Solidarity in a Changing World. 26-41.
- Mustafa Selek
- Begum Elcin Ulucan
- Zaineh Al-Zoubi
- Michael Koufalitakis
Profile of Teaching PG
- The Psychology of Fundamentalism and Political Violence
- Diplomacy and International Relations
- Issues and Debates in Political Psychology
Profile of Teaching UG
- History of Political Thought
- The Philosophy of Politics
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 17 Dec 2019 more
‘The transgressive enjoyment of politically incorrect rhetoric: a psychoanalytic approach’
Copenhagen Business School, 20 Sep 2018 more
'Logics of Quantification & Monetization: Beyond Co-optation and Critical Transformation: The case of Essex time banks'
- Anti-populist discourse in European politics and media (Anti-pop) (European Commission (Marie Curie Individual Fellowship), 31 Jan 2022). Awarded
- Subjectivity and valuation in community economies: A pilot study of the Essex time banks (ESRC - Impact Acceleration Account 2, 15 Jan 2020). Awarded
- Ephemera: theory and politics in organization, Anonymous peer review, 01 Apr 2021
- Journal of Political Ideologies, Anonymous peer review, 18 Jun 2017
- Millennium: Journal of International Studies, Anonymous peer review, 21 Mar 2016
- Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society, Anonymous peer review, 30 Sep 2015
- Political Studies Association, Member (2020-2021), https://www.psa.ac.uk/
Social Media Links
- Academia.edu, https://bournemouth.academia.edu/SavvasVoutyras