Dr Anastasia Veneti
- 01202 962258
- aveneti at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W423, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I joined the School of Media at Bournemouth University in September 2014. Prior to this, I was teaching at the University of Leicester and in several educational institutions in Greece (Akmi Metropolitan College, University of Athens, Technological Educational Institution of Ionian Islands). Moreover, I also worked as a research analyst in Greek market research companies (MRB S.A. and QED Hellas) and as communication consultant in various political campaigns, an NGO (‘ANIXI’) and the Hellenic Parliament. I am a HEA Fellow.
My research lays at the intersection of media and politics. So far, I did research on political communication including political advertising, political campaigns, the use of SNS and digital applications (Twitter and selfies) by politicians and political parties. My research also includes projects on protests and social movements. My most recent work in this area involves the examination of the media framing of protests and social movements from the Indignados to the Hong Kong Umbrella movement, as well as the exploration of the broader relationship between protesters and activists and the different forms of art that are used as outlets for political expression.
My current research focuses on the production, publication and circulation of protest imagery drawing on empirical data from in depth interviews with photojournalists.
I welcome applications from PhD students interested in the following areas:
• Social movements, political activism and media technologies • Social movements, activists and the use of art • Media framing of political issues and protests • Photojournalism and protest • Political communication and digital media • Other topics in Political communication
- Veneti, A., Karadimitriou, A. and Patsiaouras, G., 2019. From autographs to fan-celebrity selfies: A new media genre in the evolving participatory media culture. Media@LSE Working Paper Series.
- Poulakidakos, S., Veneti, A. and Frangonikolopoulos, C., 2018. Post-truth, propaganda and the transformation of the spiral of silence. International Journal of Media & Cultural Politics, 14 (3).
- Veneti, A., Lilleker, D. and Reilly, P., 2018. Photographing the ‘Battlefield’: The role of ideology in photojournalistic practice during the anti-austerity demonstrations in Greece. Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism.
- Duggan, A. and Veneti, A., 2018. Branding the President: An Investigation into the Manipulative Tactics Embedded Within a Candidate’s Brand Identity. Journal of Promotional Communications, 6 (1), 1-23.
- Patsiaouras, G., Veneti, A. and Green, W., 2018. Marketing, art and voices of dissent: promotional methods of protest art by the 2014 Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement. Marketing Theory.
- Veneti, A., 2017. Aesthetics of protest: An examination of the photojournalistic approach to protest imagery. Visual Communication, forthcoming August 2017.
- Rovisco, M. and Veneti, A., 2017. Picturing protest: visuality, visibility and the public sphere. VISUAL COMMUNICATION, 16 (3), 271-277.
- Veneti, A. and Maria Rovisco, M.R., 2017. Picturing protest: visuality, visibility and the public sphere (special issue introduction). Visual Communication, 16 (3).
- Veneti, A., 2016. Media Ecology and the Politics of Dissent: Representations of the Hong Kong Protests in the Guardian and China Daily. Social Media + Society.
- Poulakidakos, S. and Veneti, A., 2014. Examining propaganda techniques in the context of the Greek economic crisis. Romanian Journal of Sociology, 1 (2).
- Veneti, A. and Karadimitriou, A., 2013. Policy and Regulation in the Media Landscape: The Greek Paradigm Concentration of Media Ownership versus the Right to Information. Management Dynamics in the Knowledge Economy, 1 (3), 439-457.
- Theologou, K. and Veneti, A., 2013. The multiple meanings of the critical news images depicted in the corpus of Le Monde Diplomatique. Comunicação & Cultura, 57-72.
- Veneti, A., Poulakidakos, S. and Theologou, K., 2012. The Greek Indignants through the domestic TV news bulletins. Estudos em Comunicação (Communication Studies), 12, 107-134.
- Theologou, K., Veneti, A. and Paraskevopoulou-Kollia, E., 2010. A Note on European Citizenship, Intercultural Education and New Technologies. Bulletin of Political Economy, 2 (4), 157-167.
- Veneti, A. and Poulakidakos, S., 2009. The Rhetoric of Greek Political Advertisement. The Romanian Journal of Journalism & Communication, 5 (1), 27-38.
- Politics, Protest, Emotion: Interdisciplinary Perspectives. A Book of Blogs. Sheffield: Information School.
- Veneti, A., 2009. Political Advertisement and Behaviour: information or manipulation of the citizen?. Athens: Nisos Academic Publishing.
- Rovisco, M., Veneti, A. and Poulakidakos, S., 2018. Anti-austerity Protest and Democratic Vision: The struggle for a new politics – the case of the Greek ‘Do Not Pay’ social movement. In: Axford, B., Buhari-Gulmez, D. and Baris Gulmez, S., eds. Bridging Divides: Rethinking Ideology in the Age of Global Discontent. London: Routledge.
- Veneti, A., Poulakidakos, S., Triga, V., Milioni, D., Sammut, C., Verissimo, I. and Alvares, C., 2017. Representations of the economic crisis and austerity politics. In: Novelli, E., Holtz-Bacha, C. and Rafter, K., eds. Political Advertising in the 2014 European Parliament Election. London: Palgrave Macmilan.
- Poulakidakos, S. and Veneti, A., 2016. Political Communication and Twitter in Greece: Jumps on the bandwagon or an enhancement of the political dialogue? In: Deželan, T. and Vobic, I., eds. (R)evolutionizing Political Communication through Social Media. USA: IGI Global, 119-146.
- Veneti, A. and Karadimitriou, A., 2016. Political Selfies: Image Events in the New Media Field. In: Karatzogianni, A., Nguyen, D. and Serra, A., eds. The Digital Transformation of the Public Sphere: Conflict, Migration, Crisis, and Culture in Digital Networks. Palgrave McMillan.
- Veneti, A., 2014. Virtual Campaigns. In: Harvey, K., ed. Encyclopedia of Social Media and Politics. London: Sage, 214-218.
- Veneti, A., 2014. Berkman Center (Harvard). Encyclopedia of Social Media and Politics. London: Sage, 110-112.
- Veneti, A., Karadimitriou, A. and Poulakidakos, S., 2014. A Postmodernist Reading of Greek Reality TV. In: Marinescu, V., Branea, S. and Mitu, B., eds. Contemporary Television Series: Narrative Structures and Audience Perception. UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 143-159.
- Veneti, A., 2011. Elections, media and the minorities: A case study of the Greek pre-electoral television coverage of muslim minority candidates for the 2006 Prefectural elections and the 2007 Greek general elections. In: Milios, G. and Theologou, K., eds. Human & Social Sciences at the National Technical University. Fruitful Ramifications. Athens: NTUA Press, 277-323.
- Veneti, A., 2004. The Political Culture of Modern Greece. In: Kodogiorgis, G., Lavdas, K., Mendrinou, M. and Chrisohoou, D., eds. 30 Years of Democracy. The Political System of the Third Greek Democracy, 1974-2004. Athens: Kritiki 2004, 119-132.
- Veneti, A., Poulakidakos, S. and Karadimitriou, A., 2014. Operationalising Sen’s Ideas on the Visual Representation of Social Movements by the Media. In: Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) Annual Conference 2-5 September 2014 Athens.
- Veneti, A., Poulakidakos, S., Karadimitriou, A. and Mitu, B., 2014. Representations of Protest on News Websites: The Paradigm of Greece, Romania, Italy and UK in Comparative Overview. In: Journalism in Transition: Crisis or Opportunity?, European Communication Research and Education Association 28 March-29 October 2014 Thessalonica.
- Poulakidakos, S. and Veneti, A., 2012. Propaganda and the presentation of the Memorandum of Understanding in Greek electronic media. In: European Sociological Association’s Research Network 18 18-20 October 2012 Bilbao.
- Veneti, A. and Poulakidakos, S., 2012. Political discourse and the politics of fear: Do crises increase the fear factor in political discourse? In: 22nd World Congress of Political Science, IPSA 8-12 July 2012 Madrid.
- Veneti, A. and Theologou, K., 2012. Public Sphere and Media: TV news staged narration and citizens perceptions. In: Public Sphere and Media: TV news staged narration and citizens perceptions 27-28 April 2012 Prague.
- Veneti, A., Poulakidakos, S. and Theologou, K., 2011. Social Protests through the TV screen: The case of Greek indignados. In: Dubrovnik Media Days 18-19 November 2011 Dubrovnik.
- Lilleker, D., Thorsen, E., Jackson, D. and Veneti, A., 2016. US Election Analysis 2016: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Bournemouth: Centre for the Study of Journalism, Culture and Community. Available from: http://www.electionanalysis2016.us/.
- Karyotis, G., Exadaktylos, T., Chadjipadelis, T., Kiapidou, N., Lefkopoulou, N., Zartaloudis, S., Bizas, K., Poulakidakos, S. and Veneti, A., 2015. First thoughts on the 20 September 2015 election in Greece. Greek Politics Specialist Group. Available from: http://www.gpsg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/GPSG-Pamphlet-5-September-2015.pdf.
- Plios, G., Poulakidakos, S. and Veneti, A., 2012. Representations of terrorism in online media: a comparative examination of UK, Germany, Greece and Turkey. GPSG Working Papers. Available from: http://www.gpsg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Working_Paper_11.pdf.
- Theologou, K. and Veneti, A., 2012. Affecting democratic processes by virtue of petty-minded political design. GPSG Pamphlet. Available from: http://www.gpsg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/GPSG-Election-2012.pdf.
- Theofilou, A., Veneti, A., Watson, T., Costello, J. and Musarskaya, M.. Proceedings of the International History of Public Relations 2017.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Strategic Corporate Communication
Profile of Teaching UG
- Digital Politics
- New Political Communication
- Applied PR Campaigns
- Researching Politics
- Persuasion and Influence
- Political Communication and the use of social media in Greece (FMC QR, 13 Jul 2018). In Progress
- Visual Communication- Sage Publications, Editor of special issue (2016-2017), http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1470357217704633; Picturing protest: visuality, visibility and the public sphere
- ECREA, The symbolic and physical(strategic) importance of space in photojournalism during the photographing of protests in Greece, 31 Oct 2018, Lugano
- ICA, From autographs to fan-celebrity selfies: A new media genre in the evolving participatory media culture, 24 May 2018, Prague
- European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) Annual Conference, Photographing the ‘Battlefield’: A study of the relationships between photojournalists, police and protesters during the anti-austerity demonstrations in Greece, 06 Sep 2017, Oslo-Norway
- European Sociological Association (ESA) Annual conference, The struggle for a new politics in a post-ideological world. The case of the ‘We Do Not Pay’social movement in Greece, 29 Aug 2017, Athens-Greece
- International Communication Association (ICA), Protest Aesthetics: The role of the photojournalist in protest imagery, 24 May 2017, San Diego, California
- International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, The selective portrayal of small-scale protests in Greece by mainstream newspapers, 09 Jun 2016, Fukuoka, Japan
- ICA Annual Conference, The selective portrayal of small-scale protests in Greece by mainstream newspapers, 09 Jun 2016, Fukuoka, Japan
- MECSSA Anual Conference, Political Communication in Greece: Reflections of the crisis in the elctoral campaigns of the 2014 European elections, 06 Jan 2016, Canterbury
- MECCSA Annual Conference, Political Communication in Greece: Reflections of the crisis in the elctoral campaigns of the 2014 European elections, 06 Jan 2016, Canterbury,UK
- Democracy Rising, Protest Phantasmagoria:Greek mainstream media’s selective practices regarding protest imagery, 16 Jul 2015, Law School, Athens, Greece
- World Conference, Global Center for Advanced Studies ‘Democracy Rising, Protest Phantasmagoria:Greek mainstream media’s selective practices regarding protest imagery, 16 Jul 2015, Athens- Greece
- International Conference on Protest participation in variable communication ecologies. Meanings, modalities and implications, Medıa Ecology and the Politics of Dissent: Representations of Hong Kong protests in the Guardian and China Daily, 24 Jun 2015, Sardinia
- PSA 65th Annual International Conference, Social Media in Political Communication: How do Greek political parties use Twitter during the pre-electoral period?, 30 Mar 2015, Sheffield
- 65th Annual PSA Conference, Social Media in Political Communication: How do Greek political parties use Twitter during the pre-electoral period?, 30 Mar 2015, Sheffield
- PhD in Political Advertising (University of Athens, 2009)
- MA in Communication Policy Studies (City University, 2001)
- BA (Hons) in Politics with Economics (Goldsmiths College, University of London, 2000)
- Diploma in Public Relations (London School of Public Relations, 2001)
- PGCE in Education (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- Chartered Institute of Public Relations (CIPR), Member (2014-), https://www.cipr.co.uk/
- European Communication Research and Education Association, Member,
- Greek Politics Specialist Group, Member,
- HEA, Fellow (2016-),
- Hellenic Political Science Association, Member (2003-),
- International Association for Media and Communication Research, Member (2014-),
- International History of Public Relations