Dr Andrew Mayers
- 01202 961871
- amayers at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Psychology
- Poole House P112, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am an academic psychologist specialising in mental health, particularly perinatal mental illness and young people's mental health. I actively campaign for raising better awareness for mental health, and challenge stigma and discrimination. I serve on several local and national advisory groups for maternal mental illness. I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA), as a refection of my work with young people's mental health. I act as Patron for the Samaritans of Bournemouth and District and Patron and for Dorset Mind. I am Chair of trustees for ActsFast, a charity based in Dorset. that supports families who care for victims of child sexual abuse. I work closely with Dorset HealthCare University NHS Foundation NHS Trust (DHUFT) and Dorset Police (in association with Dorset Police and Crime Commissioner) on the mental health street triage. I have been appointed as Executive Producer for the Mordue Pictures feature film A Quiet Storm, and I am acting as advisor on their animated mental health documentary Mad World...
You can read more about my work at www.andrewmayers.info
Or follow me on Twitter @DrAndyMayersmore
- Noone, S., Innes, A., Kelly, F. and Mayers, A., 2015. 'The nourishing soil of the soul': The role of horticultural therapy in promoting well-being in community-dwelling people with dementia. Dementia (London, England).
- Everett, H., Baldwin, D.S., Mayers, A., Malizia, A.L. and Wilson, S., 2013. Antidepressants for insomnia (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
- Talat, B., Mayers, A. and Baldwin, D.S., 2013. Quality of case reports of adverse drug reactions with psychotropic drugs: A 25-year review. Human Psychopharmacology, 28 (5), 413-420.
- Pritchard, C., Mayers, A. and Baldwin, D., 2013. Changing patterns of neurological mortality in the 10 major developed countries - 1979-2010. Public Health, 127, 757-766.
- Mayers, A., Talat, B. and Baldwin, D., 2013. Quality of case reports of adverse drug reactions with psychotropic drugs. Human Psychopharmacology.
- Mayers, A., Mayers, A. et al., 2010. Weigh the benefits of treatment against the increase in the risk of falls when using antidepressant therapy in the elderly. Drugs and Therapy Perspectives, 26 (2), 23-26.
- Mayers, A.G., Grabbau, E.A.S., Campbell, C. and Baldwin, D.S., 2009. Subjective sleep, depression and anxiety: inter-relationships in a non-clinical sample. Human Psychopharmacoloy: Clinical and Experimental, 24, 495-501.
- Steadman, J., Pawlby, S., Mayers, A.G., Bucks, R., Miele Norton, M., Gregoire, A. and Hogan, A.M., 2007. An Exploratory Study of the Relationship between Mother-Infant Interaction and Maternal Cognitive Function in Mothers with Mental Illness. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, 25, 255-269.
- Mayers, A.G. and Baldwin, D.S., 2006. The relationship between sleep disturbance and depression: A review. International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice, 10, 2-16.
- Mayers, A.G. and Baldwin, D.S., 2005. Antidepressants and their effect on sleep: a systematic review. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 20, 533-559.
- Pritchard, C., Baldwin, D.S. and Mayers, A.G., 2004. Changing Patterns of Adult (45-74 years) Neurological Deaths in the Major Western World Countries 1979-97. Public Health, 118, 268-283.
- Baldwin, D.S., Mayers, A.G. and Elgie, R., 2003. Suicide in Psychiatric Inpatients. Clinical Risk, 9, 229-232.
- Tabiner, M., Youings, S., Dennis, M., Baldwin, D.S., Buis, C., Mayers, A.G., Jacobs, P.A. and Crolla, J.A., 2003. Failure to Find DUP25 in Patients with Anxiety Disorders, in Control Individuals, or in Previously Reported Positive Control Cell Lines. American Journal of Human Genetics, 72, 535-538.
- Mayers, A.G., van Hooff, J.C. and Baldwin, D.S., 2003. Assessing subjective sleep reports in the first degree relatives of antidepressant treated depressed outpatients. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 18, 207-214.
- Mayers, A.G., van Hooff, J.C. and Baldwin, D.S., 2003. Quantifying subjective assessment of sleep and life-quality in antidepressant-treated depressed patients. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 18, 21-27.
- Mayers, A.G., Baldwin, D.S., Dyson, R., Middleton, R. and Mustapha, A., 2003. Use of St John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum L) in members of a depression self-help organisation: a twelve-week open prospective pilot study using the HADS scale. Primary Care Psychiatry, 9, 15-20.
- Mayers, A.G. and Baldwin, D.S., 2003. Drug Treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder. Current Medical Literature: Psychiatry, 14, 55-60.
- Baldwin, D.S. and Mayers, A.G., 2003. Sexual Side Effects of Antidepressant and Antipsychotic Drugs. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 9, 202-210.
- Dyson, R., Baldwin, D.S., Mayers, A.G., Tiernan, A. and Jenkins, G., 2002. The reported use and effectiveness of Hypericum (St John’s wort) on affective symptoms in a depression self-help group. Primary Care Psychiatry, 8, 99-102.
- Baldwin, D.S., Buis, C. and Mayers, A.G., 2002. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics, 2, 717-724.
- Mayers, A., 2013. Introduction to Statistics and SPSS in Psychology. Harlow: Pearson Education.
- Baldwin, D.S., Mayers, A.G. and Lambert, A., 2004. Sexual dysfunction. In: Haddad, P.M., Dersun, S. and Deakin, B., eds. Adverse syndromes and psychiatric drugs: A Clinical Guide. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Baldwin, D.S. and Mayers, A.G., 2002. Epidemiology of anxiety disorders. In: Lader, M., ed. Fast Facts - Psychiatry Highlights 2001-02. Abingdon, England: Health Press.
- Moyers-Ruiz, L., Thompson, S.B.N., Hickish, T. and Mayers, A., 2014. Prospective memory and cognitive impairment in breast cancer patients. In: 4th International Conference on Prospective Memory 26-30 May 2014 Suor Orsola Benincasa University, Naples.
- Moyers-Ruiz, L., Thompson, S.B.N., Hickish, T. and Mayers, A., 2013. Cognitive decline as a result of impaired sleep and glucose levels during chemotherapy treatment in breast cancer patients. In: American Society of Clinical Oncology 31 May-4 June 2013 McCormick Place, Chicago, USA.
- Pritchard, C., Baldwin, D. and Mayers, A., 2010. Increased neurological adult (aged 45-74) deaths between 1979-2006 in the Western world: diagnostic artefact, Gompertzian hypothesis or an environmental explanation? 602.
- Pritchard, C., 2010. A Changing patterns of neurological adult deaths in the Major Developed Countries 1979-2006: An epigenetic explanation. In: EFNS Geneva 2010: 14th Congress of the European Federation of neurological Societies 25-27 September 2010 Geneva, Switzerland.
- Sarah Noone (Back to Nature: Exploring the impact of a community-based horticultural therapy scheme upon the well-being, quality of life and community integration of people living with dementia)
- Sarah Hambidge (Care farming: providing better futures for young and old)
- Ashley Mitchell (‘Can we fix it?!’: Understanding the impact of children’s hospices on parental relationships of life limited and threatened children and young people)
- Liliana Moyers (Chemo-Brain)
- Lauren Kita (Poor sleep as a risk factor for postnatal depression)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Clinical Psychology
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis II
- Unison CPHVA Annual Professional Conference, York, October 2013
- Falling Asleep, Staying Awake! – Sleep Disorders: Southampton, September 2011
- Mordue Pictures, Executive Producer (2017-), https://www.morduepictures.com/aquietstorm; A Quiet Storm
- Dorset Mind, Patron (2015-), http://www.dorsetmind.org.uk/
- Acts Fast, Chair of Trustees (2015-), http://actsfast.org.uk/
- Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experiemental, Managing Editor (2011-), http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1077/homepage/EditorialBoard.html
- Samaritans of Bournemouth and District, Patron (2010-)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- The 1001 Critical Days APPG is a cross-party initiative aimed at ensuring that children get the very best start in life (1001 days equate to the period pregnancy through a child's second birthday). I am part of the group that focuses on establishing that high quality maternal mental health services are available to all women across the UK. We meet in Parliament three times each year
- Maternal Mental Illness: Managing Risk Factors BU Festival of Learning, June 2014
- Children’s sleep. What goes wrong? What can we do? BU Festival of Learning, June 2014
- POSADEM - developing a European PG programme about being positive about dementia
- NHS Health visitor training, on postnatal depression
- Oh, for a good night’s sleep! BU Festival of Learning, June 2013
- Children’s sleep. What goes wrong? What can we do? BU Festival of Learning, June 2013
- Children's sleep workshops - Bournemouth primary schools
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (Southampton Solent University, 1998)
- PhD in Subjective sleep dissatisfaction in depression (Southampton Solent University, 2006)
- British Association for Psychopharmacology, Member (1998-),
- British Psychological Society, Member (1998-),
- British Sleep Spciety, Member (1998-),
- Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust, Governor (2017-), https://dorsethealthcare.nhs.uk/join-us/governors/members-council-governors
- Marce International Society, Member (2014-), http://marcesociety.com/
- Maternal Mental Health Allaince, Member (2014-), http://maternalmentalhealthalliance.org.uk/
- Royal Society of Arts, Fellow (2017-), https://www.thersa.org/