Dr Daniel Lock
- 01202 965528
- lockd at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Dorset House D154, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Daniel Lock is a Principal Academic at Bournemouth University in the Department of Sport and Physical Activity. He spent 12 years living in Australia, during which time he completed his Ph.D at the University of Technology, Sydney. Following his Ph.D, he was a Senior Lecturer and Discipline Leader of the Sport group at Griffith University in Brisbane from 2011 - 2015.
Daniel's primary research interests focus on social perception and identity dynamics as they apply to sport consumption and participation. Specifically, his research addresses
(1) the influence of social identity processes on consumer and participant behaviour. In particularly, the complex array of group memberships that shape fan behaviour and attitudes.
(2) social perceptions of organisational legitimacy with a specific emphasis on scrutiny of practices that inhibit or deter audiences from consuming or participating in sport.
He has previously completed research projects with the Australian Sports Commission, New South Wales Department of Sport and Recreation, Australian Football League, Football Federation Australia, and National Rugby League...
Daniel’s research has featured in a variety of sport and marketing-based journals including, for example, the Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Journal of Sport Management, European Sport Management Quarterly, Leisure Sciences, and Sport Management Review. He also sits on the Editorial Boards of Sport Management Review, European Sport Management Quarterly, and Sport and Entertainment Review.more
- Cunningham, G., Fairley, S., Ferkins, L., Lock, D., Kerwin, S., Shaw, S. and Wicker, P., 2018. eSport: Construct specifications and implications for sport management. Sport Management Review (Sport Management Association of Australia & New Zealand).
- Kunkel, T., Funk, D. and Lock, D., 2017. The effect of the league brand on the relationship between the team brand and behavioral intentions: A formative approach examining brand associations and brand relationships. Journal of Sport Management, 31, 317-332.
- Filo, K., Lock, D. and Sherry, E., 2017. ‘You belonged to something’: Exploring how fundraising teams add to the social leverage of events. European sport management quarterly.
- Doyle, J.P., Lock, D., Funk, D.C., Filo, K. and McDonald, H., 2017. 'I was there from the start': The identity -maintenance strategies used by fans to combat the threat of losing. SPORT MANAGEMENT REVIEW, 20 (2), 184-197.
- Darcy, S., Lock, D. and Taylor, T., 2017. Enabling inclusive sport participation: Effects of disability and support needs on constraints to sport participation. Leisure Sciences.
- Lock, D. and Heere, B., 2017. Identity crisis: a theoretical analysis of 'teamidentification' research. EUROPEAN SPORT MANAGEMENT QUARTERLY, 17 (4), 413-435.
- Doyle, J.P., Filo, K., Lock, D., Funk, D.C. and McDonald, H., 2016. Exploring PERMA in spectator sport: Applying positive psychology to examine the individual-level benefits of sport consumption. SPORT MANAGEMENT REVIEW, 19 (5), 506-519.
- Funk, D.C., Lock, D., Karg, A. and Pritchard, M., 2016. Sport Consumer Behavior Research: Improving Our Game. Journal of Sport Management, 30 (2), 113-116.
- Lock, D.J. and Funk, D.C., 2016. The Multiple In-group Identity Framework. Sport Management Review, 19 (2), 85-96.
- Harding, J., Lock, D. and Toohey, K., 2016. A social identity analysis of technological innovation in an action sport: judging elite half-pipe snowboarding. European Sport Management Quarterly, 16 (2), 214-232.
- Mcdonald, H., Leckie, C., Karg, A., Zubcevic-Basic, N. and Lock, D., 2016. Segmenting initial fans of a new team: A taxonomy of sport early adopters. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 15, 136-148.
- Lock, D., Filo, K., Kunkel, T. and Skinner, J.L., 2015. The development of a framework to capture perceptions of sport organizations legitimacy. Journal of Sport Management, 29 (4), 362-379.
- Filo, K., Lock, D. and Karg, A., 2015. Sport and social media research: A review. Sport Management Review, 18 (2), 166-181.
- Lock, D., Funk, D.C., Doyle, J.P. and McDonald, H., 2014. Examining the longitudinal structure, stability, and dimensional interrelationships of team identification. Journal of Sport Management, 28 (2), 119-135.
- Lock, D., Filo, K., Kunkel, T. and Skinner, J., 2013. Thinking about the same things differently: Examining perceptions of a non-profit community sport organisation. Sport Management Review, 16 (4), 438-450.
- Lock, D., Taylor, T., Funk, D. and Darcy, S., 2012. Exploring the development of team identification. Journal of Sport Management, 26 (4), 283-294.
- Lock, D. and Filo, K., 2012. The downside of being irrelevant and aloof: Exploring why individuals do not attend sport. Sport Management Review, 15 (2), 187-199.
- Lock, D., Taylor, T. and Darcy, S., 2011. In the absence of achievement: The formation of new team identification. European Sport Management Quarterly, 11 (2), 171-192.
- McDonald, H., Karg, A.J. and Lock, D., 2010. Leveraging fans’ global football allegiances to build domestic league support. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 22 (1), 67-89.
- Taylor, T., Lock, D. and Darcy, S., 2009. The Janus face of diversity in Australian sport. Sport in Society, 12 (7), 861-875.
- Lock, D., Darcy, S. and Taylor, T., 2009. Starting with a clean slate: An analysis of member identification with a new sports team. Sport Management Review, 12 (1), 15-25.
- Lock, D., 2009. Fan perspectives of change in the A-League. Soccer and Society, 10 (1), 109-123.
- Karg, A. and Lock, D., 2016. New media development and strategies for sport mega-events: The Olympic Games and the Football World Cup. In: Frawley, S., ed. Managing Sport Mega-Events. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Lock, D., 2015. The implications of “Sports teams and their communities” for my research in sport management. In: Cunningham, G., Fink, J. and Doherty, A., eds. Routledge Handbook of Theory in Sport Management. London: Routledge.
- Karg, A. and Lock, D., 2014. Using new media to engage consumers at the FIFA world cup. In: Frawley, S. and Adair, D., eds. Managing the FIFA world cup. New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 25-47.
- Funk, D.C. and Lock, D., 2013. Sport consumer attitudes: Formation, function, and effects on information processing. Leveraging Brands in Sport Business. 37-50.
- McGraw, P., Taylor, T. and Lock, D., 2011. Theoretical approaches and practical strategies for change management. In: Robinson, L., Bodet, G., Downward, P. and Chelladurai, P., eds. Routledge handbook of sport management. London: Routledge, 116-134.
- Lock, D., 2009. Fan Perspectives of Change in the A-League. In: Hallinan, C. and Hughson, J., eds. The Containment of Soccer in Australia. London: Routledge, 251-287.
- Lock, D., Taylor, T. and Darcy, S., 2008. Soccer and social capital in Australia: Social networks in transition. Sport and Social Capital. 317-338.
- Heere, B. and Lock, D., 2017. The measurement of team identification: What we did wrong and are still trying to fix. In: North American Association for Sports Management 31 May-1 July 2017 Denver, Colorado.
- Filo, K., Lock, D. and Sherry, E., 2016. ‘You belonged to something’: The social leverage of sport events within fundraising teams. In: European Academy for Sport Management 7-10 September 2016 Warsaw, Poland.
- Lock, D. and Heere, B., 2016. Team identification research: Searching for an identity. In: European Academy for Sport Management 7-10 September 2016 Warsaw, Poland.
- Lock, D., Filo, K. and Sherry, E., 2015. Balancing personal and collective interests: An exploration of physical activity outcomes from charity sport event participation. In: European Academy of Sport Management 16-19 September 2015 Dublin, Ireland.
- Lock, D., 2014. The role of subgroup identification for sport consumers. In: North American Society of Sport Management 28-31 May 2014 Pittsburgh, U.S..
- McDonald, H., Funk, D., Karg, A., Lock, D. and Filo, K., 2013. Evaluating new perspectives on fan engagement and development. In: North American Society of Sport Management 28 May-1 June 2013 Austin, U.S..
- Lock, D., Filo, K. and Kunkel, T., 2013. Managing perceptions of legitimacy in non-profit community sport organisations. In: European Academy of Sport Management 18-21 September 2013 Istanbul, Turkey.
- Lock, D., 2013. The activation and abstractions of team identification. In: Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 28-29 November 2013 Dunedin, New Zealand..
- Lock, D., Filo, K., Skinner, J. and Kunkel, T., 2012. Love, hate or blah: Exploring perceptions of a ‘semi-pro’ sport organization’s values, characteristics, and practices. In: North American Society of Sport Management 22-26 May 2012 Seattle, U.S..
- Harding, J., Lock, D. and Toohey, K., 2011. The impact of technology on snowboard jumping. In: Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 23-25 November 2011 Melbourne, Australia.
- Lock, D. and Filo, K., 2011. Why I don't go: An exploration into the neutral and negative attitudes preventing attendance. In: Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 23-25 November 2011 Melbourne, Australia.
- Lock, D., 2010. Conceptualising new team identification. In: European Association of Sport Management 15-17 September 2010 Prague, Czech Republic.
- Lock, D., 2009. The development of new team identification: A Case Study of Sydney FC. In: Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 26-28 November 2009 Gold Coast, Australia.
- Lock, D., 2008. In hope of déjà vu: Validating the sports spectator identity scale with fans of a new sport team. In: Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand 27-29 November 2008 Fremantle, Australia.
- Darcy, S., Taylor, T., Murphy, A., Lock, D. and Sherry, R., 2011. Participation and non-participation of people with disability in sport and active recreation. Canberra: Australian Sports Comission.
- McDonald, H. and Lock, D., 2017. Declining sport viewership shows why we should keep it on free TV. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/declining-sport-viewership-shows-why-we-should-keep-it-on-free-tv-72357#comment_1204167.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point.. The Independent Online. Available from: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/football-s-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-a7390451.html.
- Kavanagh, E., Adams, A. and Lock, D., 2016. Football’s fight against homophobia might have reached a tipping point. The Conversation Online. Available from: https://theconversation.com/footballs-fight-against-homophobia-might-have-reached-a-tipping-point-67802.
- Daniel Read. Exploring the legitimacy of the World Anti Doping Authority
- Hung Huynh Quang. The influence of social and cultural context on sport consumer motivation
Profile of Teaching UG
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Sport Development Systems
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Management
- Consumer Cultures for Sport
- Coventry University Industry Week
- A Comparison of Sport Event Participation Outcomes across Qatar and Australia (Qatar National Research Foundation, 04 Jul 2016). Awarded
- Measuring the economic value of social capital in sport (Australian Sports Commission and Griffith Business School, 01 Jan 2013). In Progress
- Examining the influence of subgroup membership on team identification (New Research Grant: Griffith Business School, 01 Jan 2013). Completed
- The social and economic value of basketball in Queensland (Griffith University Industry Grant Scheme, 01 Jan 2013). Completed
- A facility needs assessment for basketball in Queensland (Basketball Queensland, 01 Jan 2013). Completed
- Developing a viable organisational structure for BOXTAG (CSIRO, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- The cost of delivering community sport (New South Wales Department of Sport & Recreation., 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- Sport and Active Recreation: Disability Participation and Non Participation Study (Australian Sports Commission, 01 Jan 2009). Completed
- Sport fan social identity: The development of Sydney FC's support community (UTS Business School, 01 Jan 2006). Completed
- Loughborough University London, External Examiner: MSc. Sport Digital (2017-)
- Journal of Sport Management, Editorial Board Member (2017-)
- Loughborough University, External Examiner: MSc Sport Management (2017-)
- Sport Management Review, Associate Editor (2017-)
- European Sport Management Quarterly, Editorial Board Member (2016-)
- Sport and Entertainment Review, Editorial Board Member (2015-)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Development and Coaching (University of Wales, 2002)
- MA in Sport Development and Coaching (University of Wales, 2003)
- PhD in Management (University of Technology, Sydney, 2009)
- Fellowship (Higher Education Academy, 2016)
- New Researcher Award (European Academy of Sport Management, 2010)
- Ph.D Thesis Award Winner. (Sport Management Association of Australian and New Zealand, 2009)
- European Sport Management Quarterly, Editorial Board & Member,
- North American Association of Sport Management, Member,
- Sport & Entertainment Review, Editorial Board Member,
- Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand, Member,