Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a qualified lawyer in Italy and France, and a Research Fellow at the Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and Management (CIPPM) of the University of Bournemouth, and at the RCUK Centre for Copyright and New Business Models in the Creative Economy (CREATe).
My research interests are focussed on Intellectual Property and New Technologies. I have published the findings of my research for example on the European Law Review, on the Journal of Intellectual Property Law, on the European Intellectual Property Review, and on the Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law.
I have also carried out studies commissioned by the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO), the UK Special Advisory Board on Intellectual Property (SABIP), and the European Commission.
My core research is on digital right management, copyright exceptions, digital copyright, Orphan Works, and European copyright policies and governance (from a legal angle). I dream of approaching these issues both from a legal and technological perspective, because I am convinced that this is the only effective way to build rigorous evidence on this peculiar topic.
My background is in Intellectual Property Law and New Technologies. After a PhD on Digital Rights Managements (DRM) and Copyright Exceptions, I have carried out some extremely interesting research on patents and biotechnologies (ethics and patentability of human biologic material). At the same time I have built an extensive publication record (four papers, one case comment) on DRM and copyright in the digital environment. Meanwhile, I have carried out several works on European and international policy on Intellectual Property, on commission of a number of public institutions (SABIP, IPO, the European Commission).
My research plans involve merging legal and technological techniques to find a balanced solution for the much-debated issue of DRM, with a view of applying this interdisciplinary methodology to all different platforms on which DRM is implemented (CDs, DVDs, videogames, the internet, the cloud, biometrics and technologies yet to be devised).
Current works in progress:
‘Is there a EU Copyright jurisprudence?: an empirical analysis of the ECJ case-law’
Forthcoming as CREATe Working Paper (create.ac.uk)
This paper uses content analysis techniques to explore whether a clear pattern can be identified in the creation of copyright jurisprudence by the European Court of Justice.
‘A Wii too stretched? The ECJ extends to game consoles the protection of DRM- on tough conditions’
This paper comments the case C-355/12 – Nintendo v. PC Box. It questions the extension of the protection of TPMs implemented on gaming consoles;...
‘Death and Resurrection of Copyright between Law and Technology’
Forthcoming, ICTL (June 2014)
The paper reviews copyright philosophical, economic and social justification confronted by the dematerialization of creative outputs.more
- Borghi, M., Erickson, K. and Favale, M., 2017. With enough eyeballs all searches are diligent: Mobilizing the crowd in copyright clearance for mass digitization. Journal of Intellectual Property, 9 (1), 135-166.
- Favale, M., 2015. A Wii too stretched? The ECJ extends to game consoles the protection of DRM- on tough conditions. European Intellectual Property Review, 37 (2), 101-106.
- Favale, M., 2014. Death and resurrection of copyright between law and technology. Information and Communications Technology Law, 23 (2), 117-135.
- Favale, M.F., 2012. The Right of Access in Digital Copyright: Right of the Owner or Right of the User? The Journal of World Intellectual Property, 15 (1), 1-25.
- Favale, M.F., 2011. Approximation and DRM: can digital locks respect copyright exceptions? International Journal of Law and Information Technology, 19 (4), 306-323.
- Favale, M., 2011. Copyright and Contract Law: Regulating User Contracts: the state of the art and a research agenda. Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 18 (1), 67-140.
- Favale, M.F., 2011. The Right of Access in Digital Copyright: Right of the Owner or Right of the User? The Journal of World Intellectual Property.
- Favale, M.F. and Derclaye, E.D., 2010. Copyright and Contract Law: Regulating User Contracts: The State of the Art and a Research Agenda. J. Intell. Prop. L., 18-65.
- Favale, M.F. and Plomer, A.P., 2009. Fundamental Disjunctions in the EU Legal Order on Human Tissue, Cells & Advanced Regenerative Therapies. Maastricht J. Eur. & Comp. L., 16-89.
- Favale, M., 2009. Fundamental Disjunctions in the EU legal Order On Human Tissue, Cells and Advanced Regenerative Therapies. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law, 16 (1).
- Favale, M.F., 2008. Fine-tuning European copyright law to strike a balance between the rights of owners and users. European Law Review, 687-708.
- Favale, M.F., 2008. Fine-Tuning European Copyright Law to Strike A Balance Between the Rights of Owners and Users. European Law Review, 33 (5), 687-708.
- Favale, M.F., 2006. Digital Copyright. EUROPEAN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY REVIEW, 28 (12), 632.
- Favale, M.F., 2006. Copyright Exceptions: The Digital Impact. European Intellectual Property Review, 28 (9), 505.
- Homberg, F.H., Favale, M., Kretschmer, M.K., Mendis, D.M. and Secchi, D.S., 2013. Orphan Works. In: Towse, R.T., ed. A Handbook for Cultural Economics. Edward Elgar.
- Favale, M., Kretschmer, M. and Torremans, P.C., 2016. Is there an EU Copyright Jurisprudence? An Empirical Analysis of the Workings of the European Court of Justice. 31-75.
- Favale, M., McDonald, N., Faily, S. and Gatzidis, C., 2015. Human Aspects in Digital Rights Management: The Perspective of Content Developers. In: Fourth International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and IP Law 9 December-9 November 2015 Braga, Portugal.
- Favale, M. and Borghi, M.B., 2013. Approximation of IP Rights within and beyond Europe. In: SEARCH PROJECT (VII FP, EU) – Final Academic Meeting 10-11 February 2014 Barcelona, Spain.
- Favale, M., Kretschmer, M.K., Homberg, F.H., Mendis, D.M. and Secchi, D.S., 2013. The Regulation of Orphan Works. In: EPIP 2013, The frontiers of IP (European Policy on Intellectual Property ) 5-6 September 2013 Paris, France.
- Favale, M., Kretschmer, M.K., Homberg, F.H., Mendis, D.M. and Secchi, D.S., 2013. Copyright, and the Regulation of Orphan Works. In: Orphans & Images 2 July 2013 London.
- Favale, M., 2009. Fundamental Disjunctions in the European Normative Order on Human Tissue and Cells (presented by A Plomer). In: Biotechnology, European Law and Citizens workshop 13 April 2008 Belfast, Ireland.
- Favale, M. and Plomer, A.P., 2009. Ethical Controls on Patents & Biotechnological Research in Europe. In: workshop 13 April 2008 Manchester.
- Favale, M., 2008. Technological Protection Measures and Copyright Exceptions in Europe. In: Intellectual Property Scholars Conference 9-10 August 2007 Chicago.
- Favale, M., 2008. Fair DRM: the Right of Access of Copyright Users. In: First EPIP Conference on Policy, Law and Economics of Intellectual Property 7-8 September 2006 Munich, Germany.
- Favale, M., 2008. The Role of Technology in the Balance of Fundamental Rights in Copyright’, Manchester Metropolitan University. In: Second Workshop on Law and Economics of Intellectual Property 27-28 July 2006 Manchester.
- Favale, M. and Borghi, M.B., 2013. Harmonization of intellectual property rights within and beyond the European Union: The acquis communautaire in the framework of the European Neighbourhood Policy. SEARCH Project, funded by the European Commission. Available from: http://www.ub.edu/searchproject/results/working-paper-collection/.
- Borghi, M. and Favale, M., 2013. Harmonization of Intellectual Property Rights within and beyond the European Union: The Acquis Commnautaire in the Framework of the European Neighbourhood Policy. SEARCH.
- Favale, M., Homberg, F., Kretschmer, M., Mendis, D. and Secchi, D., 2013. Copyright, and the Regulation of Orphan Works: A comparative review of seven jurisdictions and a rights clearance simulation (London: Intellectual Property Office; 2013). London: Intellectual Property Office. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/copyright-and-the-regulation-of-orphan-works.
- Favale, M.F., Kretschmer, M.K., Mendis, D.M., Homberg, F.H. and Secchi, D.S., 2013. A Comparative Review of the Treatment of Orphan Works. UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Favale, M.F., 2012. An Analysis of the Public Consultation on Open Standards: Open Opportunities, Flexibility And Efficiency In Government IT. UK HM Government.
- Favale, M. and Kretschmer, M.K., 2012. An Analysis of the Public Consultation on Open Standards: Open Opportunities, Flexibility And Efficiency In Government IT. UK HM Government.
- Favale, M.F., Kretschmer, M.K., Derclaye, E.D. and Watt, R.W., 2010. The relationship between copyright and contract law. Strategic Advisory Board for Intellectual Property Policy.
- Making sense of DRM in game development (Madrigal) (Bournemouth University - Fusion Investment Fund, 01 Feb 2015). Completed
- Projects to Inform Hargreaves Review Implementation – Orphan Works (Intellectual Property Office, 01 Apr 2012). Completed
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Public Event: M. Favale (With M. Kretschmer and Fabian Homberg) 'Copyright, and the Regulation of Orphan Works”, Orphans & Images, 2nd July 2013 at the Law Society, London.
- Master of Arts in Law (University of Parma (Italy), 2003)
- PhD in Law (2007)
- Italian Lawyers Bar, Member (2007-),