Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Mel is a senior lecturer in social work and a practice educator with specific interests in the student experience, practice learning, mental health and substance use.
The impact of service user and carer involvement on students' subsequent social work practice: a follow up study
Developing standards of care in residential homes: A participatory Action Research project in collaboration with The Patient Association
Gaining insight into what works to minimise loneliness and isolation. A participatory action research project in collaboration with the Poole Wellbeing Collaborative
Principal investigator: evidencing the impact of service user involvement in professional health and social work programmes
Principal investigator: Parents Story Project: Gaining insight into parental substance use
- Hughes, M., Warren, A., Fry, J. and Cescutti-Butler, L., 2017. Involvement in Midwifery Education: experiences from a university service user and carer partnership. British Journal of Midwifery.
- Hughes, M., 2017. The Parents Story Project: Gaining insight into parental substance use. Qualitative Social Work: research and practice.
- Hughes, M., 2017. What difference does it make? Findings of an impact study of service user and carer involvement on social work students' subsequent practice. SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, 36 (2), 203-216.
- Hughes, M., 2013. Enabling learners to think for themselves: Relfections on a community placement. International Journal of Social Work Education, 32 (2), 213-229.
- Hughes, M., 2012. Unitary appreciative inquiry (UAI): A new approach for researching social work education and practice. British Journal of Social Work, 42 (7), 1388-1405.
- Hughes, M., 2011. Do challenges to students’ beliefs, values and behaviour within social work education, have an impact on their sense of well-being? Social Work Education.
- Parker, J., Hughes, M. and Rutter, L., 2006. 'Shadowing' and its place in preparing students for practice learning. Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work, 7, 49-69.
- Fenge, L.-A., Howe, K., Hughes, M. and Thomas, G., 2014. The Social Work Portfolio A Guide for Students. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Hughes, M., 2016. Service User and Carr Involvement in HE: Conference Report. online: BU CSUP.
- Matt Taylor
- Debbee Houghton
- Debbee Houghton (Using midwives perspectives to unravel medicine management in contemporary practice)
Profile of Teaching PG
- First substantive placement part A; first substantive placement part B; final substantive placement part A; final substantive placement part B
Profile of Teaching UG
- personal and professional development
- community placement
- Readiness to undertake practice learning
- Practice learning in agency settings
- The power of narrative and stories in enabling learning for professional practice (Higher Education Academy, 16 Apr 2013). Completed
- Service user and carer coordinators in HE, Sharing good practice, 28 October 2015, Bournemouth
- Gaining insght into parental substance use, The Parents Story Project: Unitary appreciative inquiry, 29 April 2015, Bournemouth
- Joint Social Work Education Conference: Celebrating that which unifies us, Unitary appreciative inquiry – research method, therapeutic intervention and innovative pedagogy., 13 July 2016, Milton Keynes
- Challenges and best practice in co-production, Taking a life of its own: reflections on co-production with a theatre company and film makers’, 18 May 2016, Sheffield University
- Practice Educator award in Social work practice education (BU, 2005)
- Doctorate in Professional Practice in Social Work Education (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- MA in Social Work (Edinburgh University, 1997)
- Senior Fellow (HEA, 2015)
- Shine award (HEA Wessext, 2015)
- GSCC, Member,