Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a film historian, and my research interests include Italian cinema, exploitation cinema, transnational cinemas, Hollywood (especially the Western) and various manifestations of “political” filmmaking. I welcome applications from research students interested in working in these and related fields.
My main area of expertise concerns popular Italian cinema’s engagement with the countercultural movements of the 1960s and 1970s, and I have published widely in this area. I have recently written a book about historical representations of political violence in 1970s Italian cinema, and compiled edited volumes on the North American “grindhouse” phenomenon, and the Spaghetti Western.
I am founding co-editor of the “Global Exploitation Cinemas” book series (Bloomsbury). I also serve on the Editorial Boards of the "Transnational Cinemas" and "[in]Transition" journals, and "The Popular West" book series (Oklahoma University Press).
- Fisher, A. and Smith, I.R., 2019. Second Phase Transnationalism: Reflections on Launching the SCMS Transnational Cinemas Scholarly Interest Group. Transnational Screens, 10 (2).
- Fisher, A. and Walker, J., 2017. Italian horror cinema. Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies, 5 (2), 153-157.
- Fisher, A. and Smith, I.R., 2016. ‘Transnational Cinemas: A Critical Roundtable’. Frames Cinema Journal, 9.
- Fisher, A., 2015. Spaghettis in Translation. [in]Transition: Journal of Videographic Film & Moving Image Studies, 2 (2).
- Fisher, A., 2014. Il braccio violento della legge: Revelation, Conspiracy and the Politics of Violence in the Poliziottesco. Journal of Italian Cinema and Media Studies, 2 (2), 167-181.
- Fisher, A., 2013. Impegno, Cultural Capital and the Politics of Confusion. The Italianist, 33 (2), 300-304.
- Fisher, A., 2013. A Cult Called Django: on the Controversial Tail of a Transnational Bandito. Cine-Excess, 1 (1).
- Fisher, A., 2010. Out West, Down South: Gazing at America in Reverse Shot through Damiano Damiani’s Quien sabe? The Italianist, 30 (2), 183-201.
- Fisher, A., 2009. A Marxist’s Gotta Do What a Marxist’s Gotta Do: Political Violence on the Italian Frontier. Scope: an Online Journal of Film and Television Studies, 15.
- Fisher, A., 2019. Blood in the Streets: Histories of Violence in Italian Crime Cinema. Edinburgh University Press.
- Italian Horror Cinema, a guest-edited edition of the Journal of Italian Cinema & Media Studies. Intellect.
- Spaghetti Westerns at the Crossroads: Studies in Relocation, Transition and Appropriation. Edinburgh University Press.
- Grindhouse: Cultural Exchange on 42nd Street, and Beyond. Bloomsbury.
- Fisher, A., 2011. Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western: Politics, Violence and Popular Italian Cinema. I.B.Tauris.
- Fisher, A., 2017. Sergio Leone and the Transnational Western. Once Upon a Time ... the Western: A New Frontier in Art and Film. 5 Continents Editions.
- Fisher, A., 2017. Italian Popular Film Genres. In: Burke, F., ed. A Companion to Italian Cinema. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Fisher, A., 2016. Go West, Brother: the Politics of Landscape in the Blaxploitation Western. In: Fisher, A. and Walker, J., eds. Grindhouse: Cultural Exchange on 42nd Street, and Beyond. Bloomsbury.
- Fisher, A., 2016. Political Memory in the Italian Hinterland: Locating the “Rural Giallo”. In: Hunter, R. and Baschiera, S., eds. Italian Horror Cinema. Edinburgh University Press.
- Fisher, A., 2014. Nuovo cinema paradiso. In: Haenni, S., Barrow, S. and White, J., eds. The Routledge Encyclopaedia of Films. Routledge.
- Fisher, A., 2014. Roma città aperta. In: Haenni, S., Barrow, S. and White, J., eds. The Routledge Encyclopaedia of Films. Routledge.
- Fisher, A., 2011. Spaghetti Westerns. In: Bayman, L., ed. Directory of World Cinema: Italy. Intellect.
- Fisher, A., 2019. Keoma and the Twilight of the Spaghetti Western, a newly filmed video appreciation by the academic Austin Fisher.
- Fisher, A., 2019. Saxon City Showdown, a newly filmed video appreciation by the academic Austin Fisher.
- Fisher, A., 2019. A brand new and exclusive interview with Austin Fisher, author of Radical Frontiers in the Spaghetti Western: Politics, Violence and Popular Italian Cinema.
- Fisher, A., 2018. Discovering Django: Newly Filmed Appreciation by Spaghetti Westerns Scholar Austin Fisher.
- Fisher, A., 2018. Hello Texas! A Newly Filmed Appreciation by Spaghetti Westerns Scholar Austin Fisher.
- Fisher, A., 2014. Austin Fisher on Transnational Cinemas, Celebrating A Fistful of Dollars/the Spaghetti Western, and Videographic Film Studies.
- Giulio Olesen. The representation of the Italian state in the "poliziottesco"
Profile of Teaching UG
- The Film Industries
- Film Festivals for Makers and Curators
- Media Scholarship
- Researching Media
- Film Language
- Graduate Film Project
Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies, London, 14 May 2020 more
"Blood in the Streets: Film Cycles, Serial Killers and the Giallo," Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies, London, May 2020.
- Guest lecture at Texas Tech University, Lubbock, March 2014
- Guest lecture at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, April 2012
- Introduction / Q&A on A Bullet for the General, Irish Film Institute, Dublin, August 2011
- Introduction to "The Big Gundown", The Barbican, London, September 2015
- Guest lecture at "Set in the West: Telling Tales in Art and Film", Denver Art Museum, Colorado, January 2017
- University of Southampton, External Examiner (2018-2020)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- "Italian Horror Cinema in its Political Contexts" - Festival of Learning 2018
- "IT'S ALIVE! The First Two Hundred Years of 'Frankenstein'", by Professor Sir Christopher Frayling. St. Peter's Church, Bournemouth.
- Director, 'Spaghetti Cinema' film festival, 2014
- Director, 'Spaghetti Cinema' film festival, 2013
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS), Revisiting the Blacklist Western: a Reception Study of High Noon, 01 Apr 2020, Denver
- International Association for Media and History (IAMHIST), Enter … If You Dare! Cross-Cultural Reception and the Giallo, 01 Jul 2019, Northumbria University
- Transnational Screens: New Directions, New Collaborations, Invited roundtable participant: ‘New Transnational Exhibition Platforms’, 01 Jun 2019, University of Portsmouth
- BAFTSS (British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies), Enter … If You Dare! Cross-Cultural Reception and the Giallo, 01 Apr 2019, University of Birmingham
- Geriaction Cinema: a Syposium on the Ageing Action Star, ‘Palmer, Smiley … and Powers: Old Spies in a Young Man’s Game’, 11 May 2018, Bournemouth University
- SCMS, Recycling The Godfather: Popular Seriality in Italian Mafia Films, 01 Mar 2018, Toronto
- Popular Culture Association annual conference, Invited roundtable participant: ‘How Italian are Spaghetti Westerns?’, 01 Apr 2017, San Diego
- American Association for Italian Studies conference, Invited roundtable participant: ‘Italian Screen Studies: Methods and Priorities’, 01 Apr 2017, Columbus, Ohio
- SCMS, Localizing the Classical Western: the Italian Reception of "Shane"., 01 Mar 2017, Chicago
- Transnational Screens, Video Essays in Transnational Cinema Studies, 01 Sep 2016, De Montfort University
- SCMS, Video Essays in Transnational Cinema Studies Workshop, 01 Apr 2016, Atlanta
- SCMS, Blood in the Streets: Negotiating History Through the Italian Vigilante Film, 01 Apr 2016, Atlanta
- Italian Cinemas/Italian Histories Workshop, Historical Perspectives on the Transnational Dimensions of Italian Westerns, 01 Mar 2016, University of Leeds
- Cinema e Storia, Blood in the Streets: Histories of Violence in Italian Crime Films of the 1970s, 01 Nov 2015, Università Roma Tre
- SCMS, Histories of Violence in Fernando Di Leo’s “Milieu Trilogy”, 01 Mar 2015, Montreal
- SCMS, Translocal Violence in the Italian Hinterland: Politics, Identity and the Giallo, 01 Jan 2014, Seattle
- SCMS, Locating Transnational Cinema Studies, 01 Jan 2014, Seattle
- Film and History, Go West, Brother: the Politics of Golden Age Landscapes in the Blaxploitation Western, 01 Jan 2014, Madison, Wisconsin
- SCMS, Terrorismo all’americana: Transatlantic Flow and the Politics of Violence in the Italian Poliziesco, 01 Jan 2013, Chicago
- Screen, The “Years of Lead” and the Politics of Gore: Cultural Capital and the Giallo, 01 Jan 2013, University of Glasgow
- MeCCSA, Il cinema all’americana? Defining the Transnational “Popular”, 01 Jan 2012, University of Bedfordshire
- SCMS, Italian Americanisms: Popular Italian Cinema in the Light of the Transnational, 01 Jan 2012, Boston, MA
- Cine-Excess, A Cult Called Django, 01 Jan 2011, Odeon Covent Garden, London
- Society for Italian Studies Biennial Conference, La resistenza popolare: Transcultural Memory in Giulio Petroni’s Tepepa, 01 Jan 2011, University of St. Andrews
- Film and Media, Spaghetti Lefties: Postmodern Politics in Robert Rodriguez’s Machete, 01 Jan 2011, The Institute of Education, University of London
- Kiss Kiss Kill Kill: A Symposium on the Forgotten Spy Film of Cold War Europe, Chronicles of Lead: Transatlantic Flow in 1970s Italian Cop Thrillers, 01 Jan 2010, University of Hertfordshire
- Popular Italian Cinema: An International Conference, Out West, Down South: Gazing at America in Reverse Shot through Damiano Damiani’s Quien sabe?, 01 Jan 2009, King’s College, London
- MeCCSA Postgraduate Conference, Spaghetti Westerns Caught in the Crossfire: Translating the Stylistics of Political Violence, 01 Jan 2009, Bangor University, Wales
- Cultural Borrowings: A Study Day on Appropriation, Reworking and Transformation, A Marxist’s Gotta Do What a Marxist’s Gotta Do: Political Violence on Italy’s Ethical Frontier, 01 Jan 2008, The University of Nottingham
- Images at the Threshold: A Postgraduate Film Conference, Go West, Comrade: Recollection, Transposition and Populist Radicalism in the New Left Westerns of Sergio Sollima, 01 Jan 2007, University of Bath
- PhD in Media Arts (Royal Holloway, University of London, 2010)
- PGCE in Higher Education Teaching Certificate (Royal Holloway, University of London, 2006)
- MA in Literature, Culture and Modernity (Queen Mary, University of London, 2001)
- BA (Hons) in English (The University of Birmingham, 1999)
- International Association for Media and History (IAMHIST), Member (2019-),
- British Association of Film, Television and Screen Studies (BAFTSS), Member (2017-),
- Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member (2015-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2014-),
- Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS), Member (2011-),
- Co-Founder: 'Transnational Cinemas' Scholarly Interest Group, Society for Cinema and Media Studies (SCMS)
- Founding Co-Editor: ‘Global Exploitation Cinemas’ book series (Bloomsbury)
- Editorial Board: 'Transnational Cinemas' journal (Routledge)
- Editorial Board: [in]Transition: Journal of Videographic Film & Moving Image Studies.
- Editorial Board: 'The Popular West' book series (Oklahoma University Press)