Dr Andrew M'manga
- 01202 962221
- ammanga at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computer Science (Cyber Security)
- Poole House P420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr M’manga is a senior lecturer in computer science - cyber security under the faculty of Science and Technology. Following a BSc (Hons) in Business Information Technology from the University of Greenwich, and an MSc in Cyber Security from the University of Bradford, he completed a Dstl-sponsored PhD in designing systems for cyber security Risk-based Decision Making with Bournemouth University. Professionally he comes from a background in Information Systems Audit.
Dr M’manga’s research interests are in the human aspects of cybersecurity, especially the perception and understanding of risk from both individual and organisational perspectives. He’s also interested in the nuanced understanding of cybersecurity, where risk and applicable control vary across demographics, regions, or nations.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
Decent work and economic growth
"Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
- M’manga, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J., Williams, C., Kadobayashi, Y. and Miyamoto, D., 2019. A normative decision-making model for cyber security. Information and Computer Security, 26 (5), 636-646.
- M'manga, A., Adams, C., Eslamnejad, M., Khadka, A., Shaw, H. and Zhao, Y., 2023. Auditing AI Systems: A Metadata Approach. In: SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence 12-14 December 2023 Cambridge.
- Turner, R. and M'Manga, A., 2022. Requirements for a Platform that Improves the Number of Young Women Entering Cybersecurity. 35th British HCI Conference Towards a Human-Centred Digital Society, HCI 2022.
- Brady, C. and M'Manga, A., 2022. Gamification of Cyber Security Training-EnsureSecure. Proceedings - 2022 IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering, ICEBE 2022, 7-12.
- Szedlak, D. and M'Manga, A., 2020. Eliciting Requirements for a Student-focussed Capture the Flag. Proceedings of 2020 7th IEEE International Conference on Behavioural and Social Computing, BESC 2020.
- M'MANGA, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J., Williams, C., Kadobayashi, Y. and Miyamoto, D., 2018. Eliciting Persona Characteristics for Risk Based Decision Making. In: 32nd International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference 2-6 July 2018 Belfast, UK.
- M'MANGA, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J., Kadobayashi, Y. and Miyamoto, D., 2018. Qualitative Adaptation: Informing Design for Risk-based Decision Making. In: 2nd Workshop on the Challenges and Opportunities for Qualitative Data Research Methods in HCI 2-6 July 2018 Belfast, UK.
- M'manga, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J. and Williams, C., 2018. Rationalising Decision Making about Risk: A Normative Approach. PROCEEDINGS OF THE TWELFTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON HUMAN ASPECTS OF INFORMATION SECURITY & ASSURANCE (HAISA 2018), 263-271.
- M'manga, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J. and Williams, C., 2017. Folk Risk Analysis: Factors Influencing Security Analysts’ Interpretation of Risk. In: 3rd Workshop on Security Information Workers 12-14 July 2017 Santa Clara, USA. Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Security Information Workers Usenix Association.
- M'manga, A., 2017. Designing Systems for Risk Based Decision Making. In: British HCI 2017 Doctoral Consortium 3-6 July 2017 University of Sunderland. 31st British HCI Group Annual Conference on People and Computers: Digital Make Believe, 2017.
- M'Manga, A., Faily, S., McAlaney, J. and Williams, C., 2017. System design considerations for risk perception. Proceedings - International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science, 322-327.
- M'MANGA, A., 2016. Understanding OAuth as a Predecessor of OpenID Connect and User Awareness of Web Single Sign On (SSO). In: UK Performance Engineering Workshop & Cyber Security Workshop 8-9 September 2016 Univerisity of Bradford. UK Performance Engineering Workshop & Cyber Security Workshop 2016, 117-125.
- Francesca Kooner-Evans. Exploring the influence of key relations for cyber resilience within the Armed Forces, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- L7 - Security and Privacy in IoT (2019 - )
- Cyberpsychology - Guest Lecturer
Profile of Teaching UG
- L5 - Enterprise Security and Privacy (2019 - )
- UG Programmes Final Year Projects Coordinator (2020 - )
- Information Assurance - Guest Lecturer
Risk based decision making in cyber security, Tokyo, 07 Feb 2018 more
Was Invited to give a guest lecture on risk based decision making by the Nara Institution of Science and Technology (NAIST) in Japan. The lecture was be a part of Japan’s Industrial Cyber Security Centre of Excellence (ICS-CoE) one year programme aimed at developing defence capabilities against cyber-attacks in key infrastructure and industrial infrastructure
- Building a minimal viable digital identity from digital footprints (SPRITE+ (EPSRC), 01 Sep 2023). Awarded
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission, Academic Adviser (2022-), https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/commonwealth-scholarship-commission-in-the-uk
- Final Year Projects Coordinator for all Undergraduate Programmes, Department of Computing and Informatics. https://cispr.bournemouth.ac.uk/projects
- SciTech Faculty Representative, SURE Conference (2021). https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/get-involved/showcasing-undergraduate-research-excellence-conference
- Information and Computer Security, Anonymous peer review, 01 Sep 2023
- PGCert in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2023)
- PhD in Computing (cyber security) (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- MSc in Cyber Security (University of Bradford, 2015)
- BSc (Hons) in Business Information Technology (University of Greenwich, 2011)
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2023-), https://www.advance-he.ac.uk/
- International Federation for Information Processing (ifip) - working group 11.1 Information Security Management, Member, https://www.ifiptc11.org/index.php/working-groups
- International Federation for Information Processing (ifip) - working group 11.12 Human Aspects of Information Security and Assurance, Member, https://www.ifiptc11.org/index.php/working-groups
External Media and Press
- Student Poster Award Winners, Models to Decisions Conference, 11 Jun 2018. https://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/models2decisions/events/m2d-2018-annual-conference/m2d2018-conference-schedule-2/list-of-poster-presentations/