- avayona at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Social Science & Policy
- Poole House P318, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I currently hold the position of a post-doctoral research fellow in social science and policy at the Faculty of Science and Technology. My profound interest lies in the societal aspects of sustainability and the circular economy. Over the course of 15 years in the professional realm, I collaborated with esteemed universities and research institutes across the UK, Greece, France, and Cyprus.
I obtained an MA in Landscape Design Studies from Newcastle University and gained extensive experience working on diverse projects, encompassing both private and public domains. A significant milestone in my career was contributing to the design and development of two Olympic stadiums for the Athens Olympics in 2004. During the period from 2008 to 2014, I held a position as a fixed-term Lecturer at the Department of Landscape Architecture of the International Hellenic University, Greece. In this role, I had the privilege of delivering a diverse array of units, further enriching my expertise and passion for designing for people and sustainability...
My interest in research and the circular economy materialised with my pursuit of a doctorate and my involvement in several research projects in both pre-award and post-award stages. During my doctoral journey, I conceptualized and introduced the "Human in the Circular Loop" (HITCL) framework, which studies the human-centred dimension in the circular economy paradigm.
In my current role, I am conducting research that embraces a holistic perspective, exploring the interconnected dynamics of diet, consumer behaviour, business practices, environmental sustainability and policy.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture"
Sustainable cities and communities
"Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"
Responsible consumption and production
"Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns"
"Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts"
- Damianou, A., Vayona, A., Demetriou, G. and Katos, V., 2023. An actionable maturity planning model for smart, circular cities. Cities, 140.
- Katou, A.A., Kafetzopoulos, D. and Vayona, A., 2023. Investigating the Serially Mediating Mechanisms of Organizational Ambidexterity and the Circular Economy in the Relationship between Ambidextrous Leadership and Sustainability Performance. SUSTAINABILITY, 15 (10).
- Vayona, A., 2011. Investigating the preferences of individuals in redeveloping waterfronts: The case of the port of Thessaloniki - Greece. CITIES, 28 (5), 424-432.
- Vayona, A., Alexandris, G., Hartwell, H. and Ioannidis, S., 2023. Human-in-the-circular-loop (HITCL): Towards the systematization of human factors in circular economy ecosystems research. In: 4th Symposium on Circular Economy and Sustainability 19-21 June 2023 Heraklion.
- Alexandris, G., Vayona, A. and Ioannidis, S., 2023. Investigating factors impairing information exchange in a Circular Economy from a stakeholder perspective. In: 4th Symposium on Circular Economy and Sustainability 19-21 June 2023 Heraklion, Greece.
- Vayona, A. and Demetriou, G., 2020. Towards An Operating Model For Attribution In Circular Economy. In: 2020 16th International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems (DCOSS) 15-17 June 2020 Marina Del Rey, LA, California May 25 - 27, 2020 (online event). IEEE, 490-495.
- ‘Resolving the extinction crisis: sustainable and technological solutions for biodiversity and society’ (RCATS) (Bournemouth University, 24 Jan 2023). In Progress
- SHARED GREEN DEAL, Social science & Humanities for Achieving a Responsible, Equitable and Desirable GREEN DEAL. (European Union’s Horizon 2020, 22 Feb 2022). In Progress
- Smart Maritime Logistics Ecosystem (SPEED) (Interreg 2 Seas, European Commission, 01 Sep 2019). Completed
- Ideal Cities, An Enabler of Trustworthy and Sustainable Applications for Circular Smart Cities. (H2020/MCA/RISE, 01 Jan 2018). In Progress
- Smartship (H2020/MCA/RISE, 01 Jan 2018). In Progress
- Journal of International Food and Agribusiness Marketing, 01 Jun 2023
- 5th Smart Circular Economy (SmaCE), IEEE DCOSS, 01 May 2023
- 4th Smart Circular Economy (SmaCE), IEEE DCOSS, 01 May 2022
- Cities, The International Journal of Urban Policy & Planning, 01 Sep 2012