Dr Ellie Gennings
- egennings at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Ellie is a Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching at Bournemouth University. Her research is focus on enhancing children's wellbeing in sporting environments.
Her expertise lies in adopting a holistic approach to sports coaching, with a specific emphasis on addressing social issues and fostering ethical coaching environments. As the lead researcher for Stormbreak, a charity dedicated to promoting physical activity and mental health literacy among children, Ellie actively contributes to initiatives that bridge the gap between research and real-world impact.
In 2021, Ellie completed a PhD that explored the intricacies of children's wellbeing within the context of sport. Her research aimed to understand adolescent wellbeing and resulted in the development of a psychometric measure of wellbeing. Ellie is now exploring the implementation of this work within sporting spaces. During her PhD, Ellie worked closely with the Andrew Simpson Foundation (ASF), supporting the launch of initiatives, presenting at the House of Lords, and most recently, leading the collaboration between BU, the ASF, and the Royal Yachting Association to fund a PhD focused on understanding marginalisation and experiences of water sports...
In her professional practice and thought leadership, Ellie is working towards becoming a UK Coaching licensed tutor. Her other professional work includes evaluating the RFU's talent pathway, consultancy with British Canoe, and CPD events at both Birmingham City FC and QPR community.more
Ellie is interested in supervising projects within the following broad areas and welcomes interested individuals to contact her via email: 1) Youth's experiences of sport/physical activity from a wellbeing perspective 2) Ethical coaching practice, particularly focusing on safe sport.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
- Gennings, E., Brown, H.J., Hewlett, D. and Batten, J., 2023. Children and young people’s perspectives from UK lockdown: leisure-less experiences. Leisure Studies, 42 (1), 147-155.
- Gennings, E., Brown, H. and Hewlett, D., 2021. Constructing a definition: Adolescent wellbeing from the perspective of the child and expert. International Journal of Wellbeing, 11 (1).
- Adams, A., Hunter, A. and Gennings, E., 2023. Towards the Application of Feminist-Informed Pedagogical Principles into Coaching Practice. Critical Issues in Football: A Sociological Analysis of the Beautiful Game. Routledge.
- Hunter, A. and Gennings, E., 2023. Football Dreams or Nightmares: The Academy. In: The International Research Network on Violence and Integrity in Sport (IRNOVIS) Research Symposium Safe sport research today: Where are we at?.
- Gennings, E., 2023. Young people’s experiences of returning to sport and exercise in blue spaces after national lockdown.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Coach and Athlete Welfare
- Conducting Research in Sport and Exercise
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Developing Coaching Practice
- Dissertation Coordinator
Youth Physical Activity and Health, Oxford Brookes University, 28 Mar 2021 more
I delivered a guest lecture to students studying BSc Physical Activity and Health Promotion.
Athlete Welfare and Wellbeing, Middlesex University, 08 Feb 2021 more
Delivered a final year lecture to sport psychology students about sport and wellbeing where I presented some preliminary research findings.
- Bournemouth University Evaluation of Stormbreak and NHS Dorset Project (Strombreak, 01 Oct 2022). Awarded
- Socio-cultural barriers to participation in watersports (BU - Charity Impact Fund., 23 Jan 2022). Awarded
- NIHR Proposal Reviewer, 01 Jan 2023
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Dissemination of research findings
- Leisure Studies Association Virtual Conference, A return to blue space: The impact of blue exercise post-pandemic on young people, 06 Jul 2021, Southampton Solent University
- British Psychological Society: Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference, Adolescent Well-being: Conceptualisations from the perspective of the child and expert, 29 Jun 2021, Digital
- Wessex Public Health Conference, Conceptualising Adolescents Well-being to Inform the Development of a Validated Scale of Well-being, 25 Mar 2020, Southampton
- PhD in Sport, physical activity, and wellbeing (University of Winchester, 2021)
- MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences (University of Winchester, 2019)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Coaching (University of Winchester, 2017)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @EllieGennings
External Media and Press
- Roundup Rodeo Ep40: Reviewing the best content, Rugby Coach Weekly. https://www.rugbycoachweekly.net/rugby-coaching/podcasts/round-up-rodeo-phil-llewellyn/roundup-rodeo-ep40-reviewing-the-best-content/
- Folk Tales Season 3: Episode 4 - Talking all things boatgen, Boatfolk. https://www.boatfolk.co.uk/journal/folk-tales-season-3-episode-4-boatgen