Dr Ellie Gennings
- egennings at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer in Sports Coaching
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Ellie is a Lecturer in Sports Coaching at Bournemouth University. Ellie’s research interests take a broad and holistic approach to sports coaching, where she is interested in social issues and ethical coaching practice. Ellie recently obtained funding to lead a project evaluation on Stormbreak Shine (https://www.stormbreak.org.uk/). This is a digital intervention that uses movement to support children with becoming active, their wellbeing and developing mental health literacy. The purpose of BU’s evaluation is to understand the impact of this digital intervention on children and trusted adults from a process and outcomes perspective.
In 2021, Ellie completed a psychology-based PhD in collaboration with the Andrew Simpson Foundation. Her research sought to understand adolescent wellbeing from the perspective of children, to develop and validate a psychometric measure of wellbeing, and this enabled her to understand the influence of outdoor sports on adolescent wellbeing. Based on a successful funding application, she continued to lead the collaboration between Bournemouth University and the Andrew Simpson Foundation post-PhD where she supported the launch of their most recent initiative #boatgen... She also led a project focused on understanding community barriers to accessing the foundation's services. Ellie was invited to present some of this work and her research findings at the House of Lords in 2022.
In her professional practice and thought leadership, Ellie is working towards becoming a UK Coaching licensed tutor. Other professional work includes the evaluation of the RFUs talent pathway system; consultancy with British Canoe; involvement with CPD events at both Birmingham City FC and QPR community.
Ellie has experience teaching across a range of units at Bournemouth University, including Coach and Athlete Welfare, Applied Sport Psychology, and Developing Coaching Practice. Similar to her athlete-centred coaching philosophy, her teaching philosophy is student-centred, inclusive and aims to encourage independent thinking.
Research Supervision: Ellie would be interested in supervising projects within the following broad areas and welcomes interested individuals to contact her via email. (1) Youth’s experiences of sport/physical activity from a welfare/wellbeing perspective. (2) Ethical coaching practice.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
- Gennings, E., Brown, H.J., Hewlett, D. and Batten, J., 2023. Children and young people’s perspectives from UK lockdown: leisure-less experiences. Leisure Studies, 42 (1), 147-155.
- Gennings, E., Brown, H. and Hewlett, D., 2021. Constructing a definition: Adolescent wellbeing from the perspective of the child and expert. International Journal of Wellbeing, 11 (1).
- Adams, A., Hunter, A. and Gennings, E., 2023. Towards the Application of Feminist-Informed Pedagogical Principles into Coaching Practice. Critical Issues in Football: A Sociological Analysis of the Beautiful Game. Routledge.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Coach and Athlete Welfare
- Conducting Research in Sport and Exercise
- Applied Sport Psychology
- Developing Coaching Practice
- Dissertation Coordinator
Youth Physical Activity and Health, Oxford Brookes University, 28 Mar 2021 more
I delivered a guest lecture to students studying BSc Physical Activity and Health Promotion.
Athlete Welfare and Wellbeing, Middlesex University, 08 Feb 2021 more
Delivered a final year lecture to sport psychology students about sport and wellbeing where I presented some preliminary research findings.
- Bournemouth University Evaluation of Stormbreak and NHS Dorset Project (Strombreak, 01 Oct 2022). Awarded
- Socio-cultural barriers to participation in watersports (BU - Charity Impact Fund., 23 Jan 2022). Awarded
- NIHR Proposal Reviewer, 01 Jan 2023
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Dissemination of research findings
- Leisure Studies Association Virtual Conference, A return to blue space: The impact of blue exercise post-pandemic on young people, 06 Jul 2021, Southampton Solent University
- British Psychological Society: Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference, Adolescent Well-being: Conceptualisations from the perspective of the child and expert, 29 Jun 2021, Digital
- Wessex Public Health Conference, Conceptualising Adolescents Well-being to Inform the Development of a Validated Scale of Well-being, 25 Mar 2020, Southampton
- PhD in Sport, physical activity, and wellbeing (University of Winchester, 2021)
- MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Sciences (University of Winchester, 2019)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Coaching (University of Winchester, 2017)
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow,
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @EllieGennings
External Media and Press
- Roundup Rodeo Ep40: Reviewing the best content, Rugby Coach Weekly. https://www.rugbycoachweekly.net/rugby-coaching/podcasts/round-up-rodeo-phil-llewellyn/roundup-rodeo-ep40-reviewing-the-best-content/
- Folk Tales Season 3: Episode 4 - Talking all things boatgen, Boatfolk. https://www.boatfolk.co.uk/journal/folk-tales-season-3-episode-4-boatgen