Dr Kyungjoo Cha
- kcha at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Product Design User Experience Design
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Kyungjoo Cha is a lecturer in Product Design (User Experience Design) in the Department of Design & Engineering at Bournemouth University. She is a design researcher specialised in human-centred design with 10+ years of experience in both academia and commercial sector. She has been proactively investigating in a deep understanding of emotional experience through developing Affective Design Scenarios in automotive contexts that can be applied to test for and to develop future automotive products and services.
She started her career in 2005 as a Consultant in the advertising campaign division of Cheil Worldwide, a Samsung company, which is the Headquarters of the biggest marketing communication agency in South Korea. She developed brand campaigns and creative media strategies to bring brands and products to be successful in the market, for various clients such as Samsung Life Insurance, Asics Sports and CJ for seven years. Her continuous interest in human engagement and experience led her to explore the field of human-centred design...
She performed several funded research projects that focused on user experience design for automobiles sponsored by Jaguar Land Rover at Brunel University London. She is currently working on design research for an autonomous vehicle design partnered with Kia Motors in the Hyundai company.more
Topics of research interest and potential collaborations
Area: Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs), Artificial Intelligence
- Developing strategic boundaries for CAVs: human-centred guidelines - Creating innovative solutions for CAVs - Developing affective design scenarios of AI products and services in mobility & consumer electronics sectors
- Cha, K., Giacomin, J., Lycett, M., Mccullough, F. and Rumbold, D., 2015. Identifying human desires relative to the integration of mobile devices into automobiles. In: Automotive'UI 1-3 September 2015 United Kingdom. 142-149.
- Cha, K., 2019. Affective scenarios in automotive design : a human-centred approach towards understanding of emotional experience. PhD Thesis. Brunel University London, Department of Design.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Design Thinking (2020/21)
- Master (MDes, MA) Project (2019/20, 2020/21)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Design Projects and Prototypes 3 (2019/20, 2020/21)
- Design Projects and Prototypes 2 (2019/20)
- Industrial Design Projects 3 (2019/20)
- Interaction Design (2019/20)
- Humanistic Design Studies (2020/21)
- Design Studies 2 (2020/21)
Hyundai/Kia Motor, South Korea, 30 Aug 2019 more
Why do we apply design thinking in Automotive Design?
- auZentic Project (KIA Motors, 02 Mar 2020). Awarded
- Happy AVs Project – investigating affective scenarios for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (Bournemouth University QR funds, 18 Apr 2019). Completed
- Automotive Habitat Lab Project – employing a human-centred design perspective into automotive design (2015-2018) (Jaguar Land Rover UK, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- Fone Friend – investigating the possible synergy between the vehicle and the mobile devices (2014) (Jaguar Land Rover UK, 06 Jan 2014). Completed
- The 2nd KRUK Conference (Human, Nature and Mathematics), Affective Design Scenarios in Automotive Design, 29 Sep 2018, UK
- The 2nd JaguarLandRover PhD Conference, Human-Centred Automotive Scenarios?, 01 Dec 2016, UK
- Future Cockpit Brand and Design Concept Workshop, External consultant. Kia Motor
- PhD in Design Research (Brunel University London, UK, 2019)
- MA in Design Strategy and Innovation (Brunel University London, UK, 2013)
- BEng (Hons) in Multimedia and Communication Engineering (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- BA (Hons) in Communication and the Media (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- Coca-Cola Enterprise (CCE) Design Competition, Winner of Top 3 (Coca-Cola Enterprise, 2013)
- Outstanding Presentation (Awarded a prize for the best presentation skills with the highest performance at Brunel University) (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Brunel International Scholarship (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Summa Cum Laude (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)