Dr Kyungjoo Cha
- kcha at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Product Design User Experience Design
- Poole House P301, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Kyungjoo Cha is a Principal Academic in Product Design (User Experience Design) in the Department of Design & Engineering at Bournemouth University.
She joined at BU in 2019, and previously worked as a design researcher specialised in human-centred user experience design in both academia and commercial sector. She performed several funded research projects that focused on user experience design for automobiles sponsored by Jaguar Land Rover at Brunel University London. She is currently working on design research for an autonomous vehicle design partnered with Hyundai and Kia Motors.
Previously, she worked as a Consultant in the advertising campaign division of Cheil Worldwide, a Samsung company, which is the Headquarters of the biggest marketing communication agency in South Korea since 2005. She developed brand campaigns and creative media strategies to bring brands and products to be successful in the market, for various clients such as Samsung Life Insurance, Asics Sports and CJ.
She has been proactively investigating in emotional user experience through developing Affective Design Scenarios and speculative approach in automotive contexts to develop future automotive products and services.
Dr Cha's current research projects include:
- User experience design in Autonomous Vehicles (AVs)
- User experience design in Metaverse
- Gen Z's digital entertaining experience
- Multimodal experience in Autonomous Vehicles
Please contact KJ for a discussion regarding any prospective PhD projects, research collaboration or media contributions that you are interested in.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
Decent work and economic growth
"Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
- Ince, E., Cha, K. and Cho, J., 2023. When do People Expect Effortless In-car Interactions? Intelligent Human Systems Integration, 69, 17-26.
- Ince, E., Cha, K. and Cho, J., 2023. An investigation into generation Z’s mindsets of entertainment in an autonomous vehicle. Entertainment Computing, 46.
- Cha, K., Giacomin, J., Skrypchuk, L., Choi, Y. and Dyer, B., 2022. What situations trigger intense emotions in automobiles?
- Cha, K., Giacomin, J., Lycett, M., Mccullough, F. and Rumbold, D., 2015. Identifying human desires relative to the integration of mobile devices into automobiles. In: Automotive'UI 1-3 September 2015 United Kingdom. , 142-149.
- Cha, K., 2022. Written evidence submitted to the inquiry, 'Self-driving vehicles'. Transport Committee, UK Parliament.
- Cha, K., 2019. Affective scenarios in automotive design : a human-centred approach towards understanding of emotional experience. PhD Thesis. Brunel University London, Department of Design.
- Shafkat Hossain, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Design Thinking (2020 - current)
- Master (MDes, MA) Project (2019 - current)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Product Design Projects (2019 - current)
- Design Projects and Prototypes 2 (2019/20)
- Industrial Design Projects 3 (2019/20)
- Interaction Design (2019/20)
- Design Studies 2 (2020 - current)
- Design Studies 3 (2020 - current)
- Design Studies 1 (2023 - current)
- Team Project (2023 - current)
- A systematic literature review focusing on investigating user experience in Metaverse (Bournemouth University QR funds, 03 Jan 2023). In Progress
- Drowning Prevention for newly mobile infants under 2 years in Bangladesh (NIHR RIGHT Call4, 11 Nov 2022). In Progress
- Drowning Prevention for newly mobile infants under 2 years in Bangladesh (2022-) (National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), 01 Nov 2022). In Progress
- auZentic Project II. (2021-2022) (Hyundai Motors, 15 Jul 2021). Completed
- Speculative Drama: Idea and Concept Generation Process through Speculative Design Approach (Bournemouth University QR funds, 01 May 2021). Completed
- auZentic Project (2020-2021) (Kia Motors, 02 Mar 2020). Completed
- Happy AVs Project – investigating affective scenarios for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (Bournemouth University QR funds, 18 Apr 2019). Completed
- Automotive Habitat Lab Project – employing a human-centred design perspective into automotive design (2015-2018) (Jaguar Land Rover UK, 01 Jan 2015). Completed
- Fone Friend – investigating the possible synergy between the vehicle and the mobile devices (2014) (Jaguar Land Rover UK, 06 Jan 2014). Completed
- Ethics Representative in Design and Engineering Department, The Science, Technology & Health Research Ethics Panel
- QR funding panel, QR funding Committee
- New Programmes Development Lead, Design and Engineering
- The 2nd KRUK Conference (Human, Nature and Mathematics), Affective Design Scenarios in Automotive Design, 29 Sep 2018, UK
- The 2nd JaguarLandRover PhD Conference, Human-Centred Automotive Scenarios?, 01 Dec 2016, UK
- Open consultation: Self-driving vehicles: new safety ambition 2022, Open consultation. The Department for Transport (DfT)
- Future Cockpit Brand and Design Concept Workshop 2019, External consultant. Kia
- Future Design Experience Branding Workshop 2021, Consultancy activity. Kia
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2020)
- PhD in Design Research (Brunel University London, UK, 2019)
- MA in Design Strategy and Innovation (Brunel University London, UK, 2013)
- BA (Hons) in Communication and the Media (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- BEng (Hons) in Multimedia and Communication Engineering (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- Coca-Cola Enterprise (CCE) Design Competition, Winner of Top 3 (Coca-Cola Enterprise, 2013)
- Brunel International Scholarship (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Outstanding Presentation (Awarded a prize for the best presentation skills with the highest performance at Brunel University) (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Summa Cum Laude (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- Institution of Engineering Designers (IED), Associate (2023-),
- HEA, Fellow (2020-),
Social Media Links
- LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/in/kjcha
External Media and Press
- New research into self-driving UX: horse and rider or Jeeves and Wooster?, Cars of the Future, 30 Jun 2022. https://carsofthefuture.co.uk/research-into-self-driving-car-ux/
- What do Gen Z want from their driverless cars?, Bournemouth University, 24 Jun 2022. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-do-gen-z-want-from-driverless-cars-bournemouth-university/