Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Kyungjoo Cha is is a lecturer in Product Design (User Experience Design) in the Department of Design & Engineering at Bournemouth University. She is a design researcher specialised in human-centred design with 10+ years of experience in both academia and commercial sector.
She started her career in 2005 as a Senior Consultant in the advertising campaign division of Cheil Worldwide, a Samsung company, which is the Headquarters of the biggest marketing communication agency in South Korea. She developed brand campaigns and creative media strategies to bring brands and products to be successful in the market, for various clients such as Samsung Life Insurance, Asics Sports and CJ for seven years. Her continuous interest in human engagement led her to explore the field of human-centred design.
She performed several funded research projects that focused on user experience design for automobiles sponsored by Jaguar Land Rover at Brunel University London. During the projects, she facilitated a series of design workshops for students, commercial designers and engineers to practice scenario building, emotional experience mapping and product/system concept generations.
Topics of research interest and potential collaborations
- Co-design for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CAVs) 1. Strategic boundaries for CAVs: human-centred guidelines 2. Innovative solutions for CAVs based on affective design scenarios - Affective design scenarios of AI products and services in mobility/ consumer electronics sectors
- Cha, K., 2018. Affective Design Scenarios in Automotive Design. In: The 2nd KRUK Conference (Human, Nature and Mathematics) 29 September 2018 United Kingdom.
- Cha, K., Giacomin, J., Ceschin, F. and Skrypchuk, L., 2016. Human-Centred Automotive Scenarios? In: the 2nd JaguarLandRover PhD Conference 1 December 2016 United Kingdom.
- Cha, K., Giacomin, J., Lycett, M., Mccullough, F. and Rumbold, D., 2015. Identifying human desires relative to the integration of mobile devices into automobiles. In: Automotive'UI 1-3 September 2015 United Kingdom. 142-149.
- Cha, K., 2019. Affective scenarios in automotive design : a human-centred approach towards understanding of emotional experience. PhD Thesis. Brunel University London, Department of Design.
- BEng (Hons) in Multimedia and Communication Engineering (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- BA (Hons) in Communication and the Media (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- MA in Design Strategy and Innovation (Brunel University London, UK, 2013)
- PhD in Design Research (Brunel University London, UK, 2019)
- Summa Cum Laude (Seoul Women's University, South Korea, 2006)
- Outstanding Presentation (Awarded a prize for the best presentation skills with the highest performance at Brunel University) (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Brunel International Scholarship (Brunel University London, 2012)
- Coca-Cola Enterprise (CCE) Design Competition, Winner of Top 3 (Coca-Cola Enterprise, 2013)