Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Senior Fellow of the HEA with a varied, flexible skill set which includes the ability to teach, inspire and motivate. I am strategically minded coming from an industry background in Project Management with an in-depth knowledge of HE and exceptional understanding and empathy at many levels. Roles have included Framework Leadership, working strategically at a senior management level, working across the institution including the SU focusing on the student voice, championing the employability and student experience agendas and being a founding member of BU’s Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL). I proudly excel where student feedback is concerned and am recognised for being intrinsically pedagogically driven where teaching excellence, the student experience and their preparation for the world of work are my strengths.
- Goodwin, K. and Mbah, M., 2017. Enhancing the work placement experience of international students: towards a support framework. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 1-12.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2016. Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques using factorial randomised N-of-1 trials. Psychology and Health, 31 (3), 313-330.
- Goodwin, K. and Ingham, S., 2015. Employability, an English Institute of Sport (EIS) perspective. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, Winter (46), 28-29.
- Goodwin, K., 2014. Professional and vocational qualifications considered essential or desirable for the sport and exercise scientist. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 42, 8-9.
- Goodwin, K., 2014. Enterprise for All? The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 24-25.
- Smith, P. and Goodwin, K., 2013. Unemployed graduates guilty of 'job snobbery' are missing out on opportunities. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 22-23.
- James, D. and Goodwin, K., 2013. Recognising the co-curriculum: the HEAR has arrived. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 20-21.
- Goodwin, K., 2012. Higher Education and the Employability Agenda - Sport and Exercise Science leading the way. The Sport and Exercise Scientist, 18-19.
- Goodwin, K. and Boyce, P., 2009. Inactivity and the modern workforce - how this affects your business performance. Changeboard.com, 8 December 2009.
- Goodwin, K. and Boyce, P., 2009. Keeping the workforce healthy may not be an employer's duty, but it's certainly in their own interests. H R Magazine, 9 November 2009.
- Goodwin, K., 2009. Research into the physical burden of drivers and co drivers in top level motor sport. Professional Motorsport World, December, 60-62.
- Goodwin, K., 2008. Online Conferencing to facilitate constructive alignment in Sports Event Management. LINK, 24-26.
- Dunbar, J. and MacLean, J.A., 2004. The National Sports First Aid Course Handbook. London: Sports Coach UK.
- Goodwin, K., 2009. Motor Sport Research Group. Rallye Sunseeker Official programme 2009. Poole, England: Rallye Sunseeker.
- Goodwin, K., 2017. The critical role of employability in sport and exercise science courses. In: 10th British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES) Heads of Department Forum 29 March 2017 Staffordshire University.
- Goodwin, K. and Mbah, M., 2017. SHRE Event - Developing the most emplyable global citizens: How can we encourage and celebrate outward mobility and working abroard? Sharing of research - The placement experience of International students. In: SRHE - Developing the most employable global citizens: How can we encourage and celebrate outward mobility and working abroard 13 November 2015 SRHE, 73 Collier Street, London, N1 9BE. Journal of Further and Higher Education: Journal of Further and Higher Education.
- Goodwin, K., 2013. The Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR and Sport and Exercise Science). In: 8th British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES) 10th Heads of Department Forum 23 May 2013 Rose Bowl, Leeds.
- Goodwin, K. and Jones, I.M., 2011. The heart of the student experience. Meeting consumer (student) expectations in the face of increasing tuition fees. Proven strategies to enhance student satisfaction. In: BU Education Enhancement Conference 4 May 2011 Bournemouth University, Poole, England.
- Goodwin, K., 2011. The Physiological Impact of Motor Sport Racing: Gravel Rally. In: The Second International Video Conference of Bournemouth University (UK) and Institute for Tourism Studies (Macao): 31 March 2011 Bournemouth University, Poole, England.
- Goodwin, K., 2009. Using formative feedback, asynchronous discussion boards and recognition to develop the creative, confident and inspired learner. In: Hospitality Leisure Sport and Tourism Network Annual Conference: Assessment and Feedback - What's the Answer? 12 November 2009 St. Hugh's College, Oxford.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit Lead. Exercise Physiology Level 5. Core 20 credit unit
- Unit Lead: Applied Physiology Level 6. 20 credit Option Unit
- Exercise Physiology (Level 5) - teaching coaching students the physiological systems that underpin sports performance so that they can understand the impact of training on performance. This includes not only the theory of the systems but also how to undertake laboratory based assessments and Douglas Bag work to calculate VO2 and VO2 max. Teaching is linked to first year coaching units and underpins the final year research units as students explore experimental design and face validity of protocol methodologies. Students work in teams to assess an unknown subject developing team work skills alongside professionalism, planning and problem solving abilities and key technical skills. I have been awarded 4 You're Brillaint awards from the students issued via the Student union for the design of the unit and the involvment of professional practice within the co-curricular in order to develop students' employability skills
- Applied Physiology (Level 6) - an option unit for students who wish to specialise working with athletes from grass routes to elite. The content is guided by the requirements laid down by BASES, Personal Trainer and S&C qualifications. Students learn best practice in the field of physiological assessment and take ownership of the design and execution of bespoke physiological assessments for groups of up to 8 elite athletes. The unit is work related and develops students employability skills in preparation for graduation. I have been awarded 4 You're Brilliant Awards nominated by the students and issued by the Student Union for the quality of teaching, innovative curriculum designs and inclusion of professional practice opportunities. Data collection testing athletes with the students is used for publication purposes and informs my PhD. Research informed education at the very core.
Nutrition in Sport, William Morris Academy, 02 May 2002 more
Nutrition in Sport - William Morris Academy London (twice)
Sport Specific First Aid, Kings College London, 08 Oct 2003 more
Sport Specific First Aid - Kings College London
BASES Heads of Department (HoDs) 14th Annual Forum, Staffordshire University, 29 Mar 2017 more
I have been invited by BASES to present because of my work in the area of student employability and professional practice. The objective of the forum is to bring together leaders in sport and exercise science to informally discuss key issues in academia. It has been agreed that employability in sport and exercise science should be a key feature of all bachelors and masters courses and should feature at the HoDs Forum.
BASES Heads of Department (HoDs) 12th Annual Forum, Leeds Metropolitan University, 23 May 2013 more
Invited to present at the BASES Heads of Department Forum about the introduction of the Higher Education Achievement report (HEAR) and its implications for sport and HE.
Motivation to exercise and how to exercise safely, Macmillan, Queen Alexander Hospital, Portsmouth, 10 Jan 2018 more
Presentation on the exercise benefits and exercise prescription for older adults all cancer survivors
Safe strength training using Therabands, Macmillan, Queen Alexander Hospital, 01 Mar 2017 more
Presentation on the benefits of strength training for older adults, all cancer survivors and how to use Therabands safely and effectively
- HR responses to participation in Motocross (Center for Excellence in Learning (CEL), 19 Mar 2017). Awarded
- The Work Placement Experience of International Students (BU Centre of Excellence (CEL), 01 May 2015). Completed
- Promoting Lifestyle Changes in the Workplace (Higher Education Innovation Funding (HEIF), 05 Oct 2009). Completed
- Journal of Studies in Higher Education - Journal Paper Reviewer, Journal paper reviewer (2018-)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science Editorial Board, Editorial Board - (2011-2015)
- One of 6 Founding members of BU's Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL). Theme Leader - Employability, Professional Practice and Work Based Learning, BU Centre for Excellence in Learning (CEL)
- VC's Education Excellence Programme - Representing Professional Practice: Integrating Work Related Learning and Volunteering., VC's Education Excellence Programme
- Faculty Student Representative Champion, BU Student Union, Faculty Representative, Student Voice Committee (SVC)
- Framework Leader for Sport (2 x coaching, 2 x management programmes), Department of Sport and Physical Activity
- To provide an academic perspective on curriculum design solutions for student employability in a membership group with Leadership representation from all BU services and partnerships, Pro Vice-Chancellor Employability and Globalisation Task and Finish Group
- Department of Sport and Physical Activity Peer Assisted Learning (PAL) Leader, Department of Sport and Physical Activity (DSPR)
- Development and management of BU Sport Performance Laboratory Phases 1 and 2, Department Sport and Physical Activity
- Setting up then Managing Peer Assisted Learning across the Sport Framework, Department of Sport and Physical Activity
- Active QAEG member (2006 to present) (validation events and academic offences panels), BU's Quality Assurance Enhancement Group (QAEG)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- QA Hospital Portsmouth - Information workshop about motivation to exercise and exercise prescription for older adults and cancer survivors
- 6 competitive Motocross athletes re-visit BU's Sport Performance Laboratory for repeat physiological assessment
- QA Hospital Portsmouth - Information workshop about strength training for older adults and cancer survivors
- Physiological assessment of functional fitness - older Adults (up to age 90), all cancer survivors visit BU's Sport Performance Laboratory for the first time
- Motocross Solo athletes re-visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Elite Sidecar Cross (up to 2nd in the UK, 7th in the World standard) athletes visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Elite Sidecar Cross (up to 3rd in the UK, 11th in the World standard) athletes visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Competitive Motocross (MX) Solo athletes visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- SHRE Events - Developing the most employable global citizens: How can we encourage and celebrate outward mobility and working abroad?
- 8 elite windsurfers return to the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP) athletes return to the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- 8 elite Stand Up Paddle Boarders (SUP) visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- 8 elite Windsurfers visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Competitive Mixed Martial Artists (MMA) visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Chess Boxer visits BU's Sports Performance Laboratory for Physiological Assessment
- 12 marathon runners visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- 6 competitive including elite Kayak athletes visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- 6 Archers including elite (Olympic standard) visit BU's Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- Physiological assessment of a pair of British rowers who were the first modern day, independent oarsmen to row from Morocco to Barbados in 23ft rowing boat to raise money for the RNLI
- 6 ultra endurance marathon runners (160 mile distance) visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment
- 6 elite golfers visit the Sports Performance Laboratory for physiological assessment from Dorset County Golf Squad
- The Second International Video Conference of Bournemouth University (UK) and Institute for Tourism Studies (Macao), The Physiological Impact of Motor Sport Racing: Gravel Rally, 31 Mar 2011, Bournemouth University
- BSc (Hons) in Sports Science (University of Portsmouth, 1998)
- MSc in Human and Applied Physiology (King's College London, 2000)
- Diploma in International Beauty Therapist (International Health and Beauty Council, 1998)
- Manual Handling Train the Trainer in Manual Handling (Osteopaths for Industry Ltd, 2005)
- Introduction to Counselling Skills in Counselling (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- Level 2 Certificate in Gym Instructing in Gym instruction (Active IQ, 2006)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education in Teaching qualification - FE and HE (Bournemouth University, 2004)
- ISAK Level One in Anthrompetric assessment (International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment, 2018)
- BACPR in Assessing Functional Capacity (British Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation (BACPR), 2018)
- BASES in Ethical conduct - professional practice & research (British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, 2013)
- Awarded by King's College London (Colt Foundation Scholarship)
- Greatest Contribution to Group Cohesion 1998 (Porstmouth University, 1998)
- Management Certificate of Excellence 1999 (Air Marketing International, 1999)
- Management Certificate of Excellence 2000 (Air Marketing International, 2000)
- SU You're Brilliant Award 2012 (Bournemouth University SU - awarded by the students, 2012)
- BU SU You're Brilliant Award 2013 (Bournemouth University Student Union (SU). This is an award for recognition by the students, 2013)
- SU You're Brilliant Award 2015 (BU SU - awarded by the students through the SU, 2015)
- SU You're Brilliant Award 2016 (BU SU, 2016)
- SU You're Brilliant Award 2017 (1) (BU SU - awarded by the students through the SU, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award 2017 (2) (BU SU - awarded by the students through the SU, 2017)
- You're Brilliant Award 2018 (1) (BU Student Union - awarded by the student through the SU, 2018)
- You're Brilliant Award 2018 (2) (BU Student Union - Awarded by the students through the SU, 2018)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science 2003 - present, Member (2003-),
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science 2016 - present, Accreditation as a Chartered Scientist (2016-),
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science Editorial Board 2011 - 2015, Education and Professional Practice (2012-),
- BU Education Excellence Staff Development Programme 2012 - 2013, Education Excellence (2012-2013),
- BU Quality Assurance and Enhancement Group 2009 - present, Member (2009-),