Dr Andrew Callaway
- 01202 961255
- acallaway at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic In Biomechanics and Performance Analysis
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr. Callaway is Director of the Human Performance Laboratory and a Principal Academic in Sports Biomechanics and Performance Analysis in the Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Sciences.
With a background in electronics engineering and computing, Andy’s work focuses on the development and creation of novel measurement methods to record, measure, and analyse different aspects of performance, from a clinical, rehabilitation or performance perspective.
Laboratory based assessment of activities is common and needed. Andy’s work develops these to field-based measurements with an applied focus striving to create comprehensive biomechanical profiles to develop best practice in a variety of environments both sporting and clinical.
Current research projects include: - Virtual reality based feedback in Football (InnovateUK funded)
- Player load (Training Magnitude) and injury identification in Badminton (with Matthew Wylde)
- Isometric shoulder stability testing
- Biomechanics of change of direction - Biomechanics in Archery
- Tactical performance in Football
- Wylde, M., Adilah Masismadi, N., Chee Yong, L., Callaway, A. and Williams, J., 2021. Placement of inertial measurement units in Racket Sports: Perceptions of coaches for IMU use during training and competition. International Journal of Racket Sports Science, 3 (1), 45-55.
- Dayus, J., Callaway, A., Ellis, S. and Butterworth, A., 2021. Analysis of playing style across different developmental stages in football. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport.
- Anwary, A.R., Yu, H., Callaway, A. and Vassallo, M., 2021. Validity and Consistency of Concurrent Extraction of Gait Features Using Inertial Measurement Units and Motion Capture System. IEEE Sensors Journal, 21 (2), 1625-1634.
- Callaway, A., Peck, J., Ellis, S. and Williams, J., 2020. A randomised observational study of individualised variations in the start position of the closed-kinetic chain upper extremity stability test. Physical Therapy in Sport, 41, 16-22.
- Wylde, M., Baranee, K., Young, L. and Callaway, A., 2019. Axis Specific Player Load to Quantify Lower Limb Biomechanical Loading in Adolescent Badminton Players. International Journal of Racket Sports Science, 1 (1), 37.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Callaway, A., Kavanagh, E. and Ellis, S., 2019. An exploration of the mechanism of action of an equine-assisted intervention. Animals, 9 (6).
- Williams, J., Callaway, A., Gara, M. and Tattersall, P., 2019. Technique utilisation and efficiency in competitive Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu matches at white and blue belts. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 19 (3), 353-369.
- Wylde, M., Lee, M., Chee Yong, L. and Callaway, A., 2019. Reliability and validity of GPS-embedded accelerometers for the measurement of badminton specific player load. Journal of Trainology, 7 (2), 34-37.
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A. and Dyer, B., 2018. The influence of lower-limb prostheses technology on Paracanoeing time-trial performance. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13 (6), 568-574.
- Callaway, A.J., Wiedlack, J. and Heller, M., 2017. Identification of temporal factors related to shot performance for indoor recurve archery. Journal of Sports Sciences, 35 (12), 1142-1147.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2015. Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques using factorial randomised N-of-1 trials. Psychology and Health.
- Callaway, A., 2015. Measuring Kinematic Variables in Front Crawl Swimming Using Accelerometers: A Validation Study. Sensors, 15 (5), 11363-11386.
- Smith, S., Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2013. Youth to Senior Football: A season long case study of goal scoring methods between under 16, under 18 and first team. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13, 413-427.
- Dyer, B.T.J., Sewell, P., Noroozi, S., Broomfield, S. and Callaway, A., 2012. Sprint Prostheses used at the Paralympics: A proposal for an assessment method to maintain fairness. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 36 (3), 306-311.
- Callaway, A. and Cobb, J.E., 2012. Linear acceleration measurement utilising inter-instrument synchronisation: A comparison between accelerometers and motion based tracking approaches. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science.
- Callaway, A.J. and Broomfield, S.A., 2012. Inter-rater reliability and criterion validity of scatter diagrams as an input method for marksmanship analysis: Computerised notational analysis for archery. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (2), 291-310.
- Callaway, A., Cobb, J.E. and Jones, I., 2009. A Comparison of Video and Accelerometer Based Approaches Applied to Performance Monitoring in Swimming. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 4, 139-153.
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A., Lauder, M. and Smith, N., 2020. Ergonomic fit of equipment for female white water kayakers: Can changing sitting height increase paddle stroke efficiency? In: Women in Sport and Exercise Academic Network 7-8 September 2020 virtual.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2019. Hit distribution patterns in recurve archery: An exploratory spatial analysis. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Eroglu Kolayis, I., Callaway, A., Knicker, A., Ertan, H., Cilli, M. and Soylu, A.R., 2019. The relationship between arrow positioning and bow/draw arm EMG activity in archery. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Dyer, B., Ellis, S. and Callaway, A., 2018. The contribution of a lower-limb prosthesis on Paracanoeing performance: a case study. In: ICF 2nd World Conference on Paracanoe 4-7 October 2018 Sweden.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Kavanagh, E., Callaway, A. and Ellis, S., 2018. The Mechanism of Action of an Equine Assisted Intervention. In: International Congress of Equine Facilitated Programmes 25-29 June 2018 Dublin Ireland.
- Bewes, R., Williams, J. and Callaway, A., 2016. Quantifying the Static Shoulder Stability Test using Accelerometers. In: International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapists (IFOMPT) 4-8 July 2016 Glasgow.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2015. Spatial analysis of hit distribution in recurve archery. In: European College of Sport Science (ECSS) 24-27 June 2015 Malmö, Sweden.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2015. Do strategies to increase physical activity among older people work for individuals? In: IAGG VIII European International Congress 23-26 April 2015 Dublin, Ireland. Irish Ageing Studies Review, 6 (1), 29.
- Heller, M., Wiedlack, J., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A., 2014. Performance analysis in recurve archery: the potential role of timing stability and variability of movement phases. In: James, N. and O'Donoghue, P., eds. World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport - X 4-7 September 2014 Opatija, Coratia.
- Barfoot, K., Casey, M. and Callaway, A., 2012. Combined EEG and eye tracking in sports skills training and performance analysis. In: World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport IX 25-28 July 2012 University of Worcester.
- Casey, M., Yau, A., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A., 2012. Data mining of portable EEG brain wave signals for sports performance analysis: An Archery case study. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Technical factors utilised by elite archers: towards setting an agenda for archery. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Scoring and Conceding in Beach Soccer. Bournemouth University.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Tactical Analysis of Beach Soccer Teams. Bournemouth University.
- Broomfield, S.A.L. and Callaway, A., 2014. Post-match analysis & technology – Match of the Day turns 50. Bournemouth University News. Available from: http://goo.gl/HwIecn.
- Callaway, A., 2014. Quantification of performance analysis factors in front crawl swimming using micro electronics: a data rich system for swimming. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Applied Sciences.
- Callaway, A., 2019. Randomised block experimental group allocation based on multiple measures.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2015. Beach Soccer Tactical Analysis.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Marksmanship Analysis - Archery.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Table Tennis Notation System.
- Rachael Bewes. Quantifying Upper Limb Sensorimotor Control to Investigate Relevance to Shoulder Dysfunction
- Matthew Wylde. Biomechanical analysis of badminton players using micro electronics
- Jordan Watts, 2019. Kinematic and kinetic investigation into the effects of under-weight and over-weight cricket bats as a means of improving swing performance for range hitting in Cricket
- Jacob Dayus, 2019. Performance Analysis in Football: Playing style variations in youth football (Completed)
- Remi Luke, 2020. Investigating the interactions between technical and tactical performance indicators in youth teams (Completed)
- Andrew Watt, 2022. Development of a valid and reliable method for through-range measurement of passive rotational stiffness of the lumbar spine
- Cian Dunne, 2021. Isometric Hip Strength in Elite Football Players: Comparison to a Normal Population and it’s behaviour throughout a Football Season (Completed)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Performance Analysis L5
- Dissertation supervision
- Advanced Performance Analysis L6
- Principles of Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L4
- Advances in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L5
- Applied Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L6
Quantitative Research Methods, BU, 19 Oct 2015 more
Quantitative Research Methods - Faculty of Media and Communication
- Believable Agent Behaviour for Data-Driven Real-Time VR Simulation (InnovateUK, 01 Apr 2020). Awarded
- Investigating the interactions between technical and tactical performance indicators in youth teams (AFC Bournemouth, 02 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Isometric hip muscle strength in elite professional football (AFC Bournemouth, 01 Aug 2019). Completed
- China Football 2019 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2019). Completed
- Performance Analysis: Investigating playing style variations in youth teams (AFC Bournemouth, 27 Jul 2018). Completed
- Using virtual reality as a new delayed-feedback method (ACORN (Internal), 26 Jul 2018). Completed
- China Football 2018 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2018). Completed
- China Football 2017 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2017). Completed
- Using sports performance software to enhance student assignment feedback (Santander, 11 Jan 2016). Completed
- What is Poole's current and future tourism offer? (Poole Council, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- BU - Fusion (Mobility) (Internal, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- Pump-priming Beach Soccer Event (BU - Internal, 01 Sep 2014). Completed
- Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques (RDU - Internal, 01 Oct 2012). Completed
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, Examiner - MSc Sports Performance Analysis (2017-2021)
- Plymouth College, External Examiner - Periodic Review (2016-)
- Committee, Organiser, SURE @ BU
- PLoS One, Anonymous peer review, 01 Apr 2016
- Sensors, Anonymous peer review, 01 Jun 2015
- European Journal of Sports Science, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2014
- Science and Technology, Anonymous peer review, 01 Mar 2013
- International Journal of Sports Science, Anonymous peer review, 01 Mar 2013
- Journal of Sports Sciences, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2012
- Journal of Human Kinetics, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2012
- Sports Biomechanics, Anonymous peer review, 02 Apr 2012
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Compiled report on GP Patient Survey for NHS WEST HAMPSHIRE CCG
- Performance Analyst - England Beach Soccer
- Performance Analyst - Devon & Cornwall Archery Society
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2014
- Industry Engagement through the Sports Degree Programmes - Back to the Future Conference 2014
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2015
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. England Beach Soccer, Shelley Broomfield, 01 Sep 2013
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. Devon and Cornwall Archery Team
- Westminster Sports Unit project, Creation of support pack for athletes. Westminster Sports Unit
- PhD in Sports Technology - Biomechanics of Swimming (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- Level 1 Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK), 2013)
- Level 4 Performance Analyst in Performance Analysis (International Society of Performance Analysis for Sport, 2013)
- BEng (Hons) in Applied Computing and Electronics (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- BASES - The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Member,
- CIMSPA - Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, Member,
- HEA - Higher Education Authority, Fellow,
- IET - The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Member,
- ISAK - International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, Member,
- ISPAS - International Society of Performance Analysis of Sport, Accredited Level 4,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, CSci - Chartered Scientist,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, Member,