Dr Andrew Callaway
- 01202 961255
- acallaway at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Sports Management
- Dorset House D133, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
With a background in electronics and computing, Dr Callaway's primary research interest is the use of technology at all levels of sport. His goal is to create comprehensive biomechanical and tactical profiles for coaches and researchers. Working across a variety of sports including Beach Soccer, Archery, Table Tennis, and Swimming has allowed application of his research in practical ways. The experience from this is relayed into his teaching and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students.
In his spare time he competes at archery, previously representing Great Britain at numerous international events.
Andrew's current research projects include:
- Virtual Reality as a feedback tool in developing motor skills - Tactical performance in Beach Soccer
- Muscle activation sequences in Archery (EMG)
- Power hitting interventions in Cricket (with Jordy Watts)
- Player load in Badminton (with Matthew Wylde)
- Wylde, M., Lee, M., Chee Yong, L. and Callaway, A., 2019. Reliability and validity of GPS-embedded accelerometers for the measurement of badminton specific player load. Journal of Trainology, 7 (2), 34-37.
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A. and Dyer, B., 2018. The influence of lower-limb prostheses technology on Paracanoeing time-trial performance. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13 (6), 568-574.
- Callaway, A.J., Wiedlack, J. and Heller, M., 2017. Identification of temporal factors related to shot performance for indoor recurve archery. Journal of Sports Sciences, 35 (12), 1142-1147.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2016. Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques using factorial randomised N-of-1 trials. Psychology and Health, 31 (3), 313-330.
- Callaway, A., 2015. Measuring Kinematic Variables in Front Crawl Swimming Using Accelerometers: A Validation Study. Sensors, 15 (5), 11363-11386.
- Smith, S., Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2013. Youth to Senior Football: A season long case study of goal scoring methods between under 16, under 18 and first team. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13, 413-427.
- Dyer, B.T.J., Sewell, P., Noroozi, S., Broomfield, S. and Callaway, A., 2012. Sprint Prostheses used at the Paralympics: A proposal for an assessment method to maintain fairness. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 36 (3), 306-311.
- Callaway, A. and Cobb, J.E., 2012. Linear acceleration measurement utilising inter-instrument synchronisation: A comparison between accelerometers and motion based tracking approaches. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science.
- Callaway, A.J. and Broomfield, S.A., 2012. Inter-rater reliability and criterion validity of scatter diagrams as an input method for marksmanship analysis: Computerised notational analysis for archery. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (2), 291-310.
- Callaway, A., Cobb, J.E. and Jones, I., 2009. A Comparison of Video and Accelerometer Based Approaches Applied to Performance Monitoring in Swimming. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 4, 139-153.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2019. Hit distribution patterns in recurve archery: An exploratory spatial analysis. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Eroglu Kolayis, I., Callaway, A., Knicker, A., Ertan, H., Cilli, M. and Soylu, A.R., 2019. The relationship between arrow positioning and bow/draw arm EMG activity in archery. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Dyer, B., Ellis, S. and Callaway, A., 2018. The contribution of a lower-limb prosthesis on Paracanoeing performance: a case study. In: ICF 2nd World Conference on Paracanoe 4-7 October 2018 Sweden.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Kavanagh, E., Callaway, A. and Ellis, S., 2018. The Mechanism of Action of an Equine Assisted Intervention. In: International Congress of Equine Facilitated Programmes 25-29 June 2018 Dublin Ireland.
- Bewes, R., Williams, J. and Callaway, A., 2016. Quantifying the Static Shoulder Stability Test using Accelerometers. In: International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapists (IFOMPT) 4-8 July 2016 Glasgow.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2015. Spatial analysis of hit distribution in recurve archery. In: European College of Sport Science (ECSS) 24-27 June 2015 Malmö, Sweden.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2015. Do strategies to increase physical activity among older people work for individuals? In: IAGG VIII European International Congress 23-26 April 2015 Dublin, Ireland. 29.
- Heller, M., Wiedlack, J., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A., 2014. Performance analysis in recurve archery: the potential role of timing stability and variability of movement phases. In: James, N. and O'Donoghue, P., eds. World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport - X 4-7 September 2014 Opatija, Coratia.
- Casey, M., Yau, A., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A.. Data mining of portable EEG brain wave signals for sports performance analysis: An Archery case study. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Barfoot, K., Casey, M. and Callaway, A.. Combined EEG and eye tracking in sports skills training and performance analysis. In: World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport IX 25-28 July 2012 University of Worcester.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S.. Technical factors utilised by elite archers: towards setting an agenda for archery. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Scoring and Conceding in Beach Soccer. Bournemouth University.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Tactical Analysis of Beach Soccer Teams. Bournemouth University.
- Broomfield, S.A.L. and Callaway, A., 2014. Post-match analysis & technology – Match of the Day turns 50. Bournemouth University News. Available from: http://goo.gl/HwIecn.
- Callaway, A., 2014. Quantification of performance analysis factors in front crawl swimming using micro electronics: a data rich system for swimming. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Applied Sciences.
- Rachael Bewes. Quantifying Upper Limb Sensorimotor Control to Investigate Relevance to Shoulder Dysfunction
- Matthew Wylde. Biomechanical analysis of badminton players using micro electronics
- Ekow Elliot. MRes - Power Development in Male Association Football Players
- Jordan Watts. Kinematic and kinetic investigation into the effects of under-weight and over-weight cricket bats as a means of improving swing performance for range hitting in Cricket
- Jacob Dayus, 2019. Performance Analysis in Football: Playing style variations in youth football
Profile of Teaching UG
- Performance Analysis
- Consultancy Project (Sport)
- Research Methods
- Developing Coaching Practice
- Dissertation supervision
- Critical Notational Analysis of Sport
- Industry Engagement through the Sports Degree Programmes - Back to the Future Conference 2014
Quantitative Research Methods, BU, 19 Oct 2015 more
Quantitative Research Methods - Faculty of Media and Communication
- Using virtual reality as a new delayed-feedback method (ACORN (Internal), 26 Jul 2018). Completed
- Using sports performance software to enhance student assignment feedback (Santander, 11 Jan 2016). Completed
- What is Poole's current and future tourism offer? (Poole Council, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- BU - Fusion (Mobility) (Internal, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- Pump-priming Beach Soccer Event (BU - Internal, 01 Sep 2014). Completed
- Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques (RDU - Internal, 01 Oct 2012). Completed
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, Examiner - MSc Sports Performance Analysis (2017-2021)
- Plymouth College, External Examiner - Periodic Review (2016-)
- Committee, Organiser, SURE @ BU
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Compiled report on GP Patient Survey for NHS WEST HAMPSHIRE CCG
- Performance Analyst - England Beach Soccer
- Performance Analyst - Devon & Cornwall Archery Society
- Industry Engagement through the Sports Degree Programmes - Back to the Future Conference 2014
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2015
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2014
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. England Beach Soccer, Shelley Broomfield, 01 Sep 2013
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. Devon and Cornwall Archery Team
- Westminster Sports Unit project, Creation of support pack for athletes. Westminster Sports Unit
- BEng (Hons) in Applied Computing and Electronics (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- Level 4 Performance Analyst in Performance Analysis (International Society of Performance Analysis for Sport, 2013)
- Level 1 Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK), 2013)
- PhD in Sports Technology - Biomechanics of Swimming (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- BASES - The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Member,
- CIMSPA - Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, Member,
- HEA - Higher Education Authority, Fellow,
- IET - The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Member,
- ISAK - International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, Member,
- ISPAS - International Society of Performance Analysis of Sport, Accredited Level 4,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, Member,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, CSci - Chartered Scientist,