Dr Andrew Callaway
- 01202 961255
- acallaway at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic In Biomechanics and Performance Analysis
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr. Callaway is Director of the Human Performance Laboratory and a Principal Academic in Sports Biomechanics and Performance Analysis in the Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Sciences.
With a background in electronics engineering and computing, Andy’s work focuses on the development and creation of novel measurement methods to record, measure, and analyse different aspects of performance, from a clinical, rehabilitation or performance perspective.
Laboratory based assessment of activities is common and needed. Andy’s work develops these to field-based measurements with an applied focus striving to create comprehensive biomechanical profiles to develop best practice in a variety of environments both sporting and clinical.
Current research projects include: - Virtual reality based feedback in Football (InnovateUK funded)
- Player load (Training Magnitude) and injury identification in Badminton (with Matthew Wylde)
- Isometric shoulder stability testing
- Biomechanics of change of direction - Biomechanics in Archery
- Tactical performance in Football
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
- Dunne, C., Callaway, A.J., Thurston, J. and Williams, J.M., 2022. Validity, reliability, minimal detectable change, and methodological considerations for HHD and portable fixed frame isometric hip and groin strength testing: A comparison of unilateral and bilateral testing methods. Physical Therapy in Sport, 57, 46-52.
- Watt, A.A., Callaway, A.J. and Williams, J.M., 2022. In vivo through-range passive stiffness of the lumbar spine: a meta-analysis of measurements and methods. Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing, 60 (8), 2133-2157.
- Wylde, M.J., Callaway, A.J., Williams, J.M., Yap, J., Leow, S. and Yong, L.C., 2022. Limb specific training magnitude and asymmetry measurement to discriminate between athletes with and without unilateral or bilateral lower limb injury history. Physical Therapy in Sport, 56, 76-83.
- Wylde, M., Adilah Masismadi, N., Chee Yong, L., Callaway, A. and Williams, J., 2021. Placement of inertial measurement units in Racket Sports: Perceptions of coaches for IMU use during training and competition. International Journal of Racket Sports Science, 3 (1), 45-55.
- Dayus, J., Callaway, A., Ellis, S. and Butterworth, A., 2021. Analysis of playing style across different developmental stages in football. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport.
- Anwary, A.R., Yu, H., Callaway, A. and Vassallo, M., 2021. Validity and Consistency of Concurrent Extraction of Gait Features Using Inertial Measurement Units and Motion Capture System. IEEE Sensors Journal, 21 (2), 1625-1634.
- Callaway, A., Peck, J., Ellis, S. and Williams, J., 2020. A randomised observational study of individualised variations in the start position of the closed-kinetic chain upper extremity stability test. Physical Therapy in Sport, 41, 16-22.
- Wylde, M., Baranee, K., Young, L. and Callaway, A., 2019. Axis Specific Player Load to Quantify Lower Limb Biomechanical Loading in Adolescent Badminton Players. International Journal of Racket Sports Science, 1 (1), 37.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Callaway, A., Kavanagh, E. and Ellis, S., 2019. An exploration of the mechanism of action of an equine-assisted intervention. Animals, 9 (6).
- Williams, J., Callaway, A., Gara, M. and Tattersall, P., 2019. Technique utilisation and efficiency in competitive Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu matches at white and blue belts. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 19 (3), 353-369.
- Wylde, M., Lee, M., Chee Yong, L. and Callaway, A., 2019. Reliability and validity of GPS-embedded accelerometers for the measurement of badminton specific player load. Journal of Trainology, 7 (2), 34-37.
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A. and Dyer, B., 2018. The influence of lower-limb prostheses technology on Paracanoeing time-trial performance. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, 13 (6), 568-574.
- Callaway, A.J., Wiedlack, J. and Heller, M., 2017. Identification of temporal factors related to shot performance for indoor recurve archery. Journal of Sports Sciences, 35 (12), 1142-1147.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2015. Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques using factorial randomised N-of-1 trials. Psychology and Health.
- Callaway, A., 2015. Measuring Kinematic Variables in Front Crawl Swimming Using Accelerometers: A Validation Study. Sensors, 15 (5), 11363-11386.
- Smith, S., Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2013. Youth to Senior Football: A season long case study of goal scoring methods between under 16, under 18 and first team. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13, 413-427.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Inter-Rater Reliability and Criterion Validity of Scatter Diagrams as an Input Method for Marksmanship Analysis: Computerised Notational Analysis for Archery. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (2), 291-310.
- Dyer, B.T.J., Sewell, P., Noroozi, S., Broomfield, S. and Callaway, A., 2012. Sprint Prostheses used at the Paralympics: A proposal for an assessment method to maintain fairness. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 36 (3), 306-311.
- Callaway, A. and Cobb, J.E., 2012. Linear acceleration measurement utilising inter-instrument synchronisation: A comparison between accelerometers and motion based tracking approaches. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science.
- Callaway, A.J. and Broomfield, S.A., 2012. Inter-rater reliability and criterion validity of scatter diagrams as an input method for marksmanship analysis: Computerised notational analysis for archery. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (2), 291-310.
- Callaway, A., Cobb, J.E. and Jones, I., 2009. A Comparison of Video and Accelerometer Based Approaches Applied to Performance Monitoring in Swimming. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 4, 139-153.
- Xu, W., Alarab, I., Lloyd-Buckingham, C., Bowden, S., Noer, B., Charles, F., Prakoonwit, S., Callaway, A., Ellis, S. and Jones, C., 2022. Re-enacting Football Matches in VR using Virtual Agents' Realistic Behaviours. In: IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality (AIVR) 12-14 December 2022 Virtual.
- Ellis, S., Callaway, A., Lauder, M. and Smith, N., 2020. Ergonomic fit of equipment for female white water kayakers: Can changing sitting height increase paddle stroke efficiency? In: Women in Sport and Exercise Academic Network 7-8 September 2020 virtual.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2019. Hit distribution patterns in recurve archery: An exploratory spatial analysis. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Eroglu Kolayis, I., Callaway, A., Knicker, A., Ertan, H., Cilli, M. and Soylu, A.R., 2019. The relationship between arrow positioning and bow/draw arm EMG activity in archery. In: International Symposium on Computer Science in Sport 8-10 July 2019 Russia.
- Bewes, R., Callaway, A. and Williams, J., 2018. Inertial sensor measurement of shoulder joint position sense: reliability and consistency. In: Chartered Society of Physiotherapy Congress 2-3 November 2018 Birmingham.
- Dyer, B., Ellis, S. and Callaway, A., 2018. The contribution of a lower-limb prosthesis on Paracanoeing performance: a case study. In: ICF 2nd World Conference on Paracanoe 4-7 October 2018 Sweden.
- Hemingway, A., Carter, S., Kavanagh, E., Callaway, A. and Ellis, S., 2018. The Mechanism of Action of an Equine Assisted Intervention. In: International Congress of Equine Facilitated Programmes 25-29 June 2018 Dublin Ireland.
- Bewes, R., Williams, J. and Callaway, A., 2016. Quantifying the Static Shoulder Stability Test using Accelerometers. In: International Federation of Orthopaedic Manipulative Physical Therapists (IFOMPT) 4-8 July 2016 Glasgow.
- Ertan, H., Er, F. and Callaway, A., 2015. Spatial analysis of hit distribution in recurve archery. In: European College of Sport Science (ECSS) 24-27 June 2015 Malmö, Sweden.
- Nyman, S.R., Goodwin, K., Kwasnicka, D. and Callaway, A., 2015. Do strategies to increase physical activity among older people work for individuals? In: IAGG VIII European International Congress 23-26 April 2015 Dublin, Ireland. Irish Ageing Studies Review, 6 (1), 29.
- Heller, M., Wiedlack, J., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A., 2014. Performance analysis in recurve archery: the potential role of timing stability and variability of movement phases. In: James, N. and O'Donoghue, P., eds. World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport - X 4-7 September 2014 Opatija, Coratia.
- Barfoot, K., Casey, M. and Callaway, A., 2012. Combined EEG and eye tracking in sports skills training and performance analysis. In: World Congress of Performance Analysis of Sport IX 25-28 July 2012 University of Worcester.
- Casey, M., Yau, A., Barfoot, K. and Callaway, A., 2012. Data mining of portable EEG brain wave signals for sports performance analysis: An Archery case study. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Technical factors utilised by elite archers: towards setting an agenda for archery. In: International Convention on Science, Education and Medicine in Sport (ICSEMIS) 19-24 July 2012 Glasgow, UK.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Scoring and Conceding in Beach Soccer. Bournemouth University.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2016. Tactical Analysis of Beach Soccer Teams. Bournemouth University.
- Broomfield, S.A.L. and Callaway, A., 2014. Post-match analysis & technology – Match of the Day turns 50. Bournemouth University News. Available from: http://goo.gl/HwIecn.
- Dayus, J., Callaway, A., Ellis, S. and Butterworth, A., 2021. Analysis of playing style across different developmental stages in football.
- Callaway, A., 2014. Quantification of performance analysis factors in front crawl swimming using micro electronics: a data rich system for swimming. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Applied Sciences.
- Callaway, A., 2019. Randomised block experimental group allocation based on multiple measures.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2015. Beach Soccer Tactical Analysis.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Marksmanship Analysis - Archery.
- Callaway, A. and Broomfield, S., 2012. Table Tennis Notation System.
- Rachael Bewes. Quantifying Upper Limb Sensorimotor Control to Investigate Relevance to Shoulder Dysfunction
- Matthew Wylde, 2022. Biomechanical analysis of badminton players using micro electronics, (Completed)
- Jordan Watts, 2019. Kinematic and kinetic investigation into the effects of under-weight and over-weight cricket bats as a means of improving swing performance for range hitting in Cricket, (Completed)
- Jacob Dayus, 2019. Performance Analysis in Football: Playing style variations in youth football, (Completed)
- Remi Luke, 2020. Investigating the interactions between technical and tactical performance indicators in youth teams, (Completed)
- Andrew Watt. Development of a valid and reliable method for through-range measurement of passive rotational stiffness of the lumbar spine, (In progress)
- Cian Dunne, 2021. Isometric Hip Strength in Elite Football Players: Comparison to a Normal Population and it’s behaviour throughout a Football Season, (Completed)
- Fred McClintock. Quantification of the assessment and treatment of mechanical evoked low back pain, (In progress)
- Stephen Rowles. A psychological evaluation of an MDT framework for sports science service delivery, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Performance Analysis L5
- Dissertation supervision
- Advanced Performance Analysis L6
- Principles of Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L4
- Advances in Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L5
- Applied Sport and Exercise Biomechanics L6
- Believable Agent Behaviour for Data-Driven Real-Time VR Simulation (InnovateUK, 01 Apr 2020). Awarded
- Investigating the interactions between technical and tactical performance indicators in youth teams (AFC Bournemouth, 02 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Isometric hip muscle strength in elite professional football (AFC Bournemouth, 01 Aug 2019). Completed
- China Football 2019 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2019). Completed
- Performance Analysis: Investigating playing style variations in youth teams (AFC Bournemouth, 27 Jul 2018). Completed
- Using virtual reality as a new delayed-feedback method (ACORN (Internal), 26 Jul 2018). Completed
- China Football 2018 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2018). Completed
- China Football 2017 - Academic provision (Federation of University Sports of China (FUSC), 01 Jun 2017). Completed
- Using sports performance software to enhance student assignment feedback (Santander, 11 Jan 2016). Completed
- What is Poole's current and future tourism offer? (Poole Council, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- BU - Fusion (Mobility) (Internal, 01 Oct 2014). Completed
- Pump-priming Beach Soccer Event (BU - Internal, 01 Sep 2014). Completed
- Increasing walking among older people: A test of behaviour change techniques (RDU - Internal, 01 Oct 2012). Completed
- Cardiff Metropolitan University, Examiner - MSc Sports Performance Analysis (2017-2021)
- Plymouth College, External Examiner - Periodic Review (2016)
- Committee, Organiser, SURE @ BU
- PLoS One, Anonymous peer review, 01 Apr 2016
- Sensors, Anonymous peer review, 01 Jun 2015
- European Journal of Sports Science, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2014
- Science and Technology, Anonymous peer review, 01 Mar 2013
- International Journal of Sports Science, Anonymous peer review, 01 Mar 2013
- Journal of Sports Sciences, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2012
- Journal of Human Kinetics, Anonymous peer review, 01 Aug 2012
- Sports Biomechanics, Anonymous peer review, 02 Apr 2012
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Report for NHS WEST HAMPSHIRE CCG (01 Sep 2014-09 Sep 2014)
- Performance Analysis for England Beach Soccer (01 Jan 2014)
- Performance Analysis for Devon & Cornwall Archery Society (01 Sep 2013)
- Behind the scenes at match of the day
- Behind the scenes at match of the day - Festival of Learning 2015
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. England Beach Soccer, Shelley Broomfield, 01 Sep 2013
- Performance Analyst, consultancy. Devon and Cornwall Archery Team
- Westminster Sports Unit project, Creation of support pack for athletes. Westminster Sports Unit
- PhD in Sports Technology - Biomechanics of Swimming (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- Level 1 Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK), 2013)
- Level 4 Performance Analyst in Performance Analysis (International Society of Performance Analysis for Sport, 2013)
- BEng (Hons) in Applied Computing and Electronics (Bournemouth University, 2006)
- BASES - The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Member,
- CIMSPA - Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity, Member,
- HEA - Higher Education Authority, Fellow,
- IET - The Institution of Engineering and Technology, Member,
- ISAK - International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, Member,
- ISPAS - International Society of Performance Analysis of Sport, Accredited Level 4,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, CSci - Chartered Scientist,
- IST - Institute of Science and Technology, Member,