Dr Mehdi Chowdhury
- 01202 961397
- mchowdhury at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Economics
- Christchurch House C210, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Senior Lecturer in Economics at the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics, Business School, Bournemouth University, UK. I joined the School in September 2011 after obtaining my PhD from the School of Economics of the University of Nottingham. I received Masters Degrees in Economics from Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan and the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Economics at the Department of Economics of the University of Bristol from 2009-2011.
I current area of research includes international migration, human capital and incentives. I primarily work within International Migration literature using tools developed by International Trade theory and Industrial Organization/Applied Game Theory. I am interested in supervising students doing PhD in ‘International Migration’ , ‘International Trade’ and ‘Applied Game Theory’ with reference to the needs of developing countries.
International Migration, Economic Development, Economics of Education
- Chowdhury, M., 2017. Economic Benefit of Temporary Migration with Firm Heterogeneity. THE RITSUMEIKAN ECONOMIC REVIEW, 65 (4).
- Chowdhury, M. and Mukherjee, A., 2016. Labour Market Integration and Innovation: The Implications on Consumers. MANCHESTER SCHOOL, 84 (6), 771-794.
- Chowdhury, M., 2016. Migration policies and international labour market competition. Migration and Development, 6 (2).
- Chowdhury, M., 2015. Households’ Characteristics and the Modes of Remittances in Bangladesh. Journal of Developing Areas, 49 (4), 167-195.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Relationships, Human Behaviour and Financial Transactions. Theoretical Economics Letters, 4.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Migration, Human Capital Formation and the Beneficial Brain Drain Hypothesis: A Note. Migration and Development, 3 (2), 174-180.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Labour Market Integration, Remittances and Optimal Tax Policy. Migration and Development, 3 (1), 20-37.
- Chowdhury, M., 2005. Migration, Urbanization, Industrialization, Export Promotion and Economic Development. Brac University Journal, 2 (2).
- South Asian Migration in the Gulf: Causes and Consequences. Palgrave.
- Chowdhury, M. and Telli, H., 2015. Migration. In: Holscher, J. and Tomann, H., eds. PALGRAVE DICTIONARY OF EMERGING MARKETS AND TRANSITION ECONOMICS. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Licky Otame. Migration andf Artisanship Development in Nigeria
- Salem Gheit. The role of human capital in the multifactor productivity growth in the developed and developing countries
Profile of Teaching PG
- Emerging Market Economics
- Global Economic Challenges
Profile of Teaching UG
- Microeconomics for Business II
- Microeconomic II
- Microeconomics for Business I
- Microeconomics I
Evaliating the impact of remittances, Southanmton Solent University, Southampton, UK, 26 Oct 2016 more
Business School Research Seminars, Southampton Solent University, Southampton, UK
Group work in higher education, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 14 Feb 2016 more
Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Brain drain and human capital formation, University of Dhaka, Dhaka , Bangladesh, 02 Sep 2012 more
Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka , Bangladesh
Evaluating the imapact of remittances, University of Manchester, Manchester, 23 Feb 2016 more
Development Economics Seminars, University of Manchester, Manchester
Evaluating the impact of Remittances, University of Nottingham, UK, 02 Mar 2016 more
CREDIT Research Seminar, University of Nottingham, UK
Group work in higher education, Coventry University , Coventry UK, 28 Oct 2015 more
Business School Research Seminar Series, Coventry University , Coventry, UK
- Migration and Development, Taylor and Francis, International Editorial Board (2015-)
- Academic Lead of International Partnership between FoM and the Ministry of Public Administration, Banglaladesh, International Partnership
- Coordinator, BS Staff Seminar
- Programme Coordinator, BS Staff Seminar Series
- Programme Coordinator (Level 6), AFE Undergraduare Programme Management Team
- Peer Assisted Learning Coordinator, AFE Undergraduate Framework Management Team
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications 2016, 03 Nov 2016, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- Solent Learning and Teaching Community Conference, 24 Jun 2016, Southampton, UK
- 5th World Congress of the Game Theory Society, 24 Jul 2016, Maastricht, Netherlands
- 12th European Meeting on Game Theory, 11 Jul 2016, Odense, Denmark
- 2nd International Conference on South Asian Economic Development, 18 Feb 2016, New Delhi
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications, 05 Nov 2015, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- RES-York Symposium and Mini-Courses on Game Theory, 21 May 2015, University of York, York
- Southampton Winter Workshop on Economic Theory, 23 Feb 2015, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- 2014 Annual Conference of the Royal Economic Society, 07 Apr 2014, The University of Manchester, UK
- 4th Norface Conference on "Migration: Global Development, New Frontiers", 10 Apr 2013, UCL, London, UK
- 27th European Sociaty of Population Economics Conference, 12 Jun 2013, Aarhas University, Denmark
- Early Careers Workshop, 06 Apr 2017
- Doctoral Supervision Development: New Supervisors, 25 Jan 2012
- Survival Analysis: Modelling Time-to-event Data, 20 Apr 2015
- Panel and Longitudinal Data Analysis, 06 Nov 2014
- Economics of International Migration, 12 May 2014
- Writing Academy, 25 Jun 2014
- Grants Academy, 24 Mar 2014
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- MSc in Economics (University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1999)
- MA in Economics (Ritsumeikan University, Japan, 2005)
- PhD in Economics (University of Nottingham, 2011)
- Bangladesh Economic Association, Member,
- Game Theory Society, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),
External Media and Press
- বিটকয়েন, ক্রিপ্টোকারেন্সি ও ব্লকচেইন, Bonikbarta, 09 Jan 2018. http://bonikbarta.net/bangla/news/2018-01-09/144093/%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%9F%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%9F%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%A8,-%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%AA%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%9F%E0%A7%8B%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%9A%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%A8/
- Death bells toll for the Bitcoin!, BdNews24, 23 Dec 2017. https://opinion.bdnews24.com/2017/12/23/death-bells-toll-for-the-bitcoin/
- Trade, lobbies and capacity building in policy making, Financial Express, Babgladesh, 17 Nov 2017. http://today.thefinancialexpress.com.bd/anniversary-issue-1/trade-lobbies-and-capacity-building-in-policy-making-1510628569
- Human migration and the EU referendum, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 26 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-05-26/human-migration-eu-referendum
- World Trade Organization and the European Union, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 14 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-06-14/world-trade-organization-european-union
- গেম থেওরি ওয়ার্ল্ড কংগ্রেস ও কিছু ব্যক্তিগত ভাবনা, Bonikbarta, Dhaka Bangladesh, 31 Aug 2016. http://bonikbarta.com/news/2016-08-31/85677/%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%AE-%E0%A6%A5%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%93%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%93%E0%A7%9F%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A1-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%82%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B8-%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%9B%E0%A7%81-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%97%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%AD%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BE/
- WTO and the European Union, The Financial Express, Dhaka Bangladesh, 17 Jun 2016. http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2016/06/17/34568/WTO-and-the-European-Union