Dr Mehdi Chowdhury
- 01202 961397
- mchowdhury at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer (Academic) in Economics
- Dorset House D165, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a Senior Lecturer in Economics at the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics, Business School, Bournemouth University, UK. I joined the School in September 2011 after obtaining my PhD from the School of Economics of the University of Nottingham. I received Masters Degrees in Economics from Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan and the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh. I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Economics at the Department of Economics of the University of Bristol from 2009-2011.
I current research interest included the refugee crisis, international migration, education and human capital development. A blog on my project on the Rohingya Refugee Crisis is available on this link https://blogs.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/2018/04/30/responsible-project-management-in-bangladesh/. I am interested in supervising students for PhD on the refugee crisis, international migration and international trade.
International Migration, Economic Development, Economics of Education
- Chowdhury, M., 2017. Economic Benefit of Temporary Migration with Firm Heterogeneity. THE RITSUMEIKAN ECONOMIC REVIEW, 65 (4).
- Chowdhury, M. and Mukherjee, A., 2016. Labour Market Integration and Innovation: The Implications on Consumers. Manchester School, 84 (6), 771-794.
- Chowdhury, M., 2016. Migration policies and international labour market competition. Migration and Development, 6 (2).
- Chowdhury, M., 2015. Households’ Characteristics and the Modes of Remittances in Bangladesh. Journal of Developing Areas, 49 (4), 167-195.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Relationships, Human Behaviour and Financial Transactions. Theoretical Economics Letters, 4.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Labour Market Integration, Remittances and Optimal Tax Policy. Migration and Development, 3 (1), 20-37.
- Chowdhury, M., 2014. Migration, Human Capital Formation and the Beneficial Brain Drain Hypothesis: A Note. Migration and Development, 3 (2), 174-180.
- Chowdhury, M., 2005. Migration, Urbanization, Industrialization, Export Promotion and Economic Development. Brac University Journal, 2 (2).
- South Asian Migration in the Gulf: Causes and Consequences. Palgrave.
- Chowdhury, M., 2018. South Asian Migration in the Gulf: Topics for Economic Investigations. In: Chowdhury, M. and Rajan, S.I., eds. South Asian Migration in the Gulf: Causes and Consequences. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Chowdhury, M. and Telli, H., 2015. Migration. In: Holscher, J. and Tomann, H., eds. PALGRAVE DICTIONARY OF EMERGING MARKETS AND TRANSITION ECONOMICS. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salem Gheit. The role of human capital in the multifactor productivity growth in the developed and developing countries
- Licky Otame. Migration andf Artisanship Development in Nigeria
Profile of Teaching PG
- Global Economic Challenges
- Emerging Market Economics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Microeconomics I
- Microeconomics for Business I
- Microeconomic II
- Microeconomics for Business II
Group work in higher education, Coventry University , Coventry UK, 28 Oct 2015 more
Business School Research Seminar Series, Coventry University , Coventry, UK
Evaluating the impact of Remittances, University of Nottingham, UK, 02 Mar 2016 more
CREDIT Research Seminar, University of Nottingham, UK
Evaluating the imapact of remittances, University of Manchester, Manchester, 23 Feb 2016 more
Development Economics Seminars, University of Manchester, Manchester
Brain drain and human capital formation, University of Dhaka, Dhaka , Bangladesh, 02 Sep 2012 more
Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka , Bangladesh
Group work in higher education, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 14 Feb 2016 more
Department of Economics, University of Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Evaliating the impact of remittances, Southanmton Solent University, Southampton, UK, 26 Oct 2016 more
Business School Research Seminars, Southampton Solent University, Southampton, UK
- Understanding the management of refugee crisis in Germany (BU-Santander Staff Mobility, 18 Jun 2018). Completed
- Economic impacts of the Rohingya Refugee Crisis in Bangladesh (Bournemouth University-Student Resaerch Assistantship Programme, 01 Jun 2018). Completed
- Responsible Project Management in Bangladesh (BU Global Challanges Reserch Fund, 01 May 2018). In Progress
- Investigating the impact of remittances in Bangladesh using the HIES 2015 (Bournemouth University, 12 Feb 2018). In Progress
- Poole Marine Cluster: SUpply Chain Mapping (Poole Borough Council, 01 Feb 2018). Completed
- Internationa migration and trade of cultutal goods (Bournemouth Unviersity- Student Research Assistant Project, 01 Jun 2017). Completed
- Migration and Development, Taylor and Francis, International Editorial Board (2015-)
- Peer Assisted Learning Coordinator, AFE Undergraduate Framework Management Team
- Programme Coordinator (Level 6), AFE Undergraduare Programme Management Team
- Programme Coordinator, BS Staff Seminar Series
- Coordinator, BS Staff Seminar
- Academic Lead of International Partnership between FoM and the Ministry of Public Administration, Banglaladesh, International Partnership
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications 2016, 03 Nov 2016, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- 5th World Congress of the Game Theory Society, 24 Jul 2016, Maastricht, Netherlands
- 12th European Meeting on Game Theory, 11 Jul 2016, Odense, Denmark
- Solent Learning and Teaching Community Conference, 24 Jun 2016, Southampton, UK
- 2nd International Conference on South Asian Economic Development, 18 Feb 2016, New Delhi
- UECE Lisbon Mettings on Game Theory and Applications, 05 Nov 2015, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- RES-York Symposium and Mini-Courses on Game Theory, 21 May 2015, University of York, York
- Southampton Winter Workshop on Economic Theory, 23 Feb 2015, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- 2014 Annual Conference of the Royal Economic Society, 07 Apr 2014, The University of Manchester, UK
- 27th European Sociaty of Population Economics Conference, 12 Jun 2013, Aarhas University, Denmark
- 4th Norface Conference on "Migration: Global Development, New Frontiers", 10 Apr 2013, UCL, London, UK
- Diversifying Leadership, 22 Feb 2018
- Early Careers Workshop, 06 Apr 2017
- Survival Analysis: Modelling Time-to-event Data, 20 Apr 2015
- Panel and Longitudinal Data Analysis, 06 Nov 2014
- Writing Academy, 25 Jun 2014
- Economics of International Migration, 12 May 2014
- Grants Academy, 24 Mar 2014
- Doctoral Supervision Development: New Supervisors, 25 Jan 2012
- PhD in Economics (University of Nottingham, 2011)
- MA in Economics (Ritsumeikan University, Japan, 2005)
- MSc in Economics (University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1999)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- Bangladesh Economic Association, Member,
- Game Theory Society, Member (2016-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2015-),
External Media and Press
- WTO and the European Union, The Financial Express, Dhaka Bangladesh, 17 Jun 2016. http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2016/06/17/34568/WTO-and-the-European-Union
- গেম থেওরি ওয়ার্ল্ড কংগ্রেস ও কিছু ব্যক্তিগত ভাবনা, Bonikbarta, Dhaka Bangladesh, 31 Aug 2016. http://bonikbarta.com/news/2016-08-31/85677/%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%AE-%E0%A6%A5%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%93%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%93%E0%A7%9F%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B2%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A1-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%82%E0%A6%97%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%B8-%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%9B%E0%A7%81-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%A4%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%97%E0%A6%A4-%E0%A6%AD%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%A8%E0%A6%BE/
- World Trade Organization and the European Union, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 14 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-06-14/world-trade-organization-european-union
- Human migration and the EU referendum, EU referendum coverage page, BU, 26 Jun 2016. https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/news/2016-05-26/human-migration-eu-referendum
- Trade, lobbies and capacity building in policy making, Financial Express, Babgladesh, 17 Nov 2017. http://today.thefinancialexpress.com.bd/anniversary-issue-1/trade-lobbies-and-capacity-building-in-policy-making-1510628569
- Death bells toll for the Bitcoin!, BdNews24, 23 Dec 2017. https://opinion.bdnews24.com/2017/12/23/death-bells-toll-for-the-bitcoin/
- বিটকয়েন, ক্রিপ্টোকারেন্সি ও ব্লকচেইন, Bonikbarta, 09 Jan 2018. http://bonikbarta.net/bangla/news/2018-01-09/144093/%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%9F%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%9F%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%A8,-%E0%A6%95%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B0%E0%A6%BF%E0%A6%AA%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%9F%E0%A7%8B%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B0%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%A8%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B8%E0%A6%BF-%E0%A6%93-%E0%A6%AC%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%95%E0%A6%9A%E0%A7%87%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%A8/
- Rohingya refugees remain a heavy burden on Bangladesh, The Conversation, 20 Aug 2018. https://theconversation.com/rohingya-refugees-remain-a-heavy-burden-on-bangladesh-101570