- 01202 965823
- sharper at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Computer Animation
- Weymouth House W235, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I teach a variety of topics found within the animation field, including:Character Animation, Character Design ,Concept and story generation ,Story Boarding ,Life Drawing, Acting and the History of animation
I have written, designed and delivered the NCCA animation units for the BA CA and CVA pathways, levels I,C and H. I have been Unit Leader for these components, meaning that I was directly responsible for more than 200 students.
For the NCCA postgraduate framework, I have been Programme Coordinator for MA 3D .And I have also written, designed and delivered core units for this .
I have been a member of the NCCA’s Industrial Advisory Board, in which I liaise with senior employees of several major VFX/Games studios in the UK, with a view to ensuring that the delivery and output of the NCCA is relevant and adaptable to the needs of industry.
.During 2011 I was part of a group of NCCA academics providing consultancy to Skillset regarding their proposed accreditation of VFX courses in the UK...
I have been involved in working with Red Balloon, the Media School's production department. In this capacity I have been the main go-between for the clients, the School and the students, and five animations for Weymouth Police have already been outputted as a result. I have also been consulted for HIV film and the Mary Shelley Project. Ongoing projects include: City Wire, DM Orthotics.more
- Harper, S., 2008. Salon Exibition. Visual Research Group Show. Study Gallery, Poole, England. November 2008.
- Efstathiou, S., Harper, S. and Vince, J., 2010. Animation Curriculum Development for 'TwoFour54' and Turner Time Warner. Abu Dhabi: Twofour54. Available from: http://tadreeb.twofour54.com/en/section/cartoon-network.
- Sheffield Hallam, External Examier (2012-2016)
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Python CPD course.I attend the regional after school CAS meetings held at Poole Grammar School by Master Teacher Simon Rood. From these meeting there was a need voiced by the teachers that they needed training in Python. So I helped organize and set up on 3-4 July a Python CPD course for secondary school computer science teachers through CAS. At present there are many school teachers in the local area who are required to teach computer programming at GCSE level and beyond who feel they lack programming skills. Together with CAS we’ve been trying to run a CPD course for over a year. We had 20 teachers from numerous schools attending. With the help from Naomi and Avril we were able to provide funding for teacher cover from my widening participation STEM budget.
- STEM Wilts and Dorset Code Challenge .I met the Head of STEM Wills and Dorset in September last year at the University to launch, support and promote the Wilts and Dorset Code Challenge. The Code Challenge is a competition which encourages school children to code http://www.stemwiltsdorset.org.uk/code-challenge We organised the launch of the event at Bournemouth University with guest speakers from Climax Games Company and Double Negative Last years Code Challenge Challenge Success 26 schools registered to participate 13 schools finally entered 1-3 teams each STEM Ambassadors who code increased from 6 to 40. 65 young people took part in a coding club and submitted a completed project 150 (estimated) young people took part in coding clubs but were unable to submit a final project. 5 schools were invited to send a team to the Double Negative design studios on Friday 21 March, during National Science and Engineering Week. On May 1st We are organised a celebration event for the Challenge teams and STEM Ambassadors with a presentation from Frame Store ,who talked about their Oscar winning film Gravity. I also organized another public lecture on that evening, to launch the 2014 Challenge. Where we had guest speakers from a leading London visual effects company Glassworks and a Games company Amuzo based in Bournemout
- ScratchJam .This is an annual outreach activity for pupils aged 11 – 14 from local secondary schools. This event is a competition, where the pupils spend a day programming in Scratch . And it promotes the use computer coding in schools . In previous years we have been hosted by SciTech (DEC) Due to my involvement with CAS we had event at The Media School. I helped make sure we could provide the computers for that many pupils and helped run the event with the school teachers and the Outreach officer We had 100 pupils attend from up to 10 different schools
- MPhil in Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2009)
- MPhil in Postgraduate Certificate, Research Supervision (2009)
- MA in Computer Animation (Bournemouth University, 2000)
- BA (Hons) in Film & Photography (University of Wales College, Newport, 1996)
- STEM Ambassador, Member (2013-),