Dr Suranjita Mukherjee
- 01202 961887
- smukherjee at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Head of Department for Accounting, Finance and Economics
- Dorset House D236b, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Corporate Governance
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Designing Innovative Pedagogy for Complex Accountancy Topics (DIPCAT), was funded by ERASMUS+, and completed in 2021. Phyllis was the Principal Investigator, working in collaboration with eleven other European universities. Four distinct but integrated sets of case studies have been developed comprising original content, learning materials, activities and two databases. The topics of the cases address areas of global and immediate concerns in international taxation, corporate governance and tax avoidance, financial reporting for financial instruments (IFRS 9) and auditing in the digital era. Thirty-nine academics from twelve European HE Institutions collaborated on this project. The project-partners have a long history of working together and with other professionals in the development of teaching materials, intensive study programmes, student and staff exchanges, research and other knowledge exchanges. The combined subject expertise, professional experiences, global networks and academic resources of the partnership far exceeds the sum of individual contributions. The partners consulted with accounting and tax experts during the design and development phases of the case studies. The experts were from the Big Four, MNEs and the Professional and Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (e.g. ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA and CIOT) in the respective countries. Such consultation has ensured the professional relevance and practical application of the learning materials. More about the project may be found at: www.bournemouth.ac.uk/dipcat.
Smart Teaching in Accounting and Meeting Place -online (STAMP-online), is the current AFECA project funded by ERASMUS+. Accountancy in the digital era necessitates innovative and transformative education, research and practice. Research recognises the risks to the accounting profession, and suggestions are that technological knowledge be integrated in the curricula and adapted to changing needs. Therefore, the aim of the current project is to create an international online environment in the digital era to re-engineer/ replace the knowledge as well as key competencies and skills that will be acquired by students and teachers to be directly useful to the international financial-accounting labor market. In order to achieve the aim, two specific objectives are outlined: SO1. To redesign the relationship between scientific and practical environment by innovative activities in comprehensive research in the scope of useful application in the teaching- learning- practical environment. SO2. Restructure or replace knowledge and key competencies and skills that will be acquired by exploiting disruptive information technology in order to test and implement a custom platform that will help to support students and teachers and to promote and reward excellence in teaching and skills development. The project is in its final year, with a third Intensive Study Programme scheduled for July 2023 in Innsbruck.
Suranjita is a prolific researcher in the area of corproate governance and its connectivity with the field of corporate finance. Her area of expertise is family firms and research specifically linking gender diversity and corproate governance.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
- Alexander, P., Balavac-Orlic, M., Lymer, A. and Mukherjee, S., 2023. Further improving our understanding of the tax awareness, tax literacy and tax morale of young adults. Journal of Tax Administration, 8 (1).
- Adami, R., Gough, O., Mukherjee, S. and Sivaprasad, S., 2014. An empirical analysis of the performance of pension funds: Evidence from UK. Studies in Economics and Finance, 31 (2), 141-155.
- Alexander, P., Balavac, M. and Mukherjee, S., 2022. Understanding of Tax Awareness, Tax Literacy and Tax Morale in Young People. In: 29th Annual Tax Research Network Conference 4-5 September 2018 Birmingham.
- Balogun, A., Mukherjee, S. and Abdoush, T., 2019. Socio-Emotional Wealth (SEW) Perspective to Family Influence and Tax Aggressiveness Relationships in Family Firms. In: IFERA2019 Conference (International Family Enterprise Research Academy) 17-21 June 2019 Bergamo, Italy.
- Balogun, A., Mukherjee, S. and Abdoush, T., 2019. Corporate Governance Mechanisms and Tax Aggressiveness: Family-Firm Focus Relationship. In: British Academy of Management Corporate Governance Conference (BAM CG SIG 2019) 15 February 2019 London, UK.
- Mukherjee, S. and Mukherjee, S., 2014. Impact of ‘Oral pitching’ on Entrepreneurial Learning and Influencing Potential Investors. In: Institute of Small Business and Entreprenuership Conference 2009 3-6 November 2009 Liverpool.
- Mukherjee, S. and Mukherjee, S., 2010. Pricing of Pension Benefit Obligation and its impact on Firm Value. In: British Accounting Association 30 March-1 April 2010 Cardiff.
- Alexander, P., Balavac, M., Mukherjee, S., Lymer, A. and Massey, D., 2018. Improving Tax Literacy and Tax Morale in Young People. CIOT.
- Mukherjee, S., 2008. ‘Reputation, Return and Credit Rating Differences between Family and Non-family Firms in the UK. PhD Thesis. ICMA Centre, University of Reading.
- Ishamel Tingbani. Working Capital
- Azeez Balogun, 2023. The Role of Corporate Governance Mechanisms and Family Influence on Tax Aggressiveness of Family Firms, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Governance and Ethics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Company Study
- Strategic Financial Management
- Designing Innovative Pedagogy for Complex Accountancy Topics (Erasmus+, 01 Sep 2018). In Progress
- Tax Literacy: Improving Tax Compliance (Chartered Institute of Taxation, 01 Jul 2016). Completed
- Northampton University, External Examiner - Accounting & Finance (2009-2014)
- Head of Department, Accounting, Finance and Economics
- PhD in Corporate Governance of Family Firms (ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading, 2008)
- PhD in Finance in Corporate Governanece (ICMA Centre, University of Reading, 2008)