Dr Tony Abdoush
- 01202 962293
- tabdoush at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Accounting And Finance
- Executive Business Centre EB401, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Tony is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for MSc Corporate Governance since Sep 2019. He joined BU in 2017 as a Lecturer in Accounting and Finance, and prior to that, Tony worked as a Visiting Academic/ Adjunct Lecturer (University of Southampton), an Associate Lecturer (Damascus University), and had 5-year work experience as a Chief Accountant.
He holds a PhD in Accounting and Finance (Jan2017), a MSc in Risk Management (2011), both from the University of Southampton, and a BSc in Economics with First Class Honours (2003) from Damascus University.
Tony is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA), a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI), and also an Academic Fellow of the Association of International Accountants (FAIA(ACAD)).
Tony’s current research interests lie around Corporate Governance, Accountability and Corporate Disclosure, Sustainable Development & Corporate Social Responsibility, Financial Reporting and Analysis, Corporate Finance, Insurance, and Risk Management.
He is currently supervising a number of MSc and PhD students conducting their research within these topics, and will consider PhD research proposals that are aligned with any of his research interests in accounting, finance and governance.
- Abdoush, T., 2019. Corporate Governance Practices and Firm Performance in the UK Insurance Industry, Does This Relationship Hold True During Financial Distress? In: BAM2019 Conference (British Academy of Management) 3-5 September 2019 Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- Abdoush, T., 2019. How Efficient is Distribution Strategy as a Complementary Corporate Governance Instrument for the UK Insurance Industry? In: British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2019) 3-5 September 2019 Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- Balogun, A., Mukherjee, S. and Abdoush, T., 2019. Socio-Emotional Wealth (SEW) Perspective to Family Influence and Tax Aggressiveness Relationships in Family Firms. In: IFERA2019 Conference (International Family Enterprise Research Academy) 17-21 June 2019 Bergamo, Italy.
- Abdoush, T., 2019. Does Corporate Governance Really Affect Firm Performance? An Evidence from the UK Insurance Industry. In: The 4th International Conference on Organization and Management (ICOM2019) & The 6th International Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Ethics, Governance, and Sustainability 12-13 June 2019 College of Business, Abu Dhabi University, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Balogun, A., Mukherjee, S. and Abdoush, T., 2019. Corporate Governance Mechanisms and Tax Aggressiveness: Family-Firm Focus Relationship. In: British Academy of Management Corporate Governance Conference (BAM CG SIG 2019) 15 February 2019 London, UK.
- Abdoush, T., 2018. Developing a Corporate Governance Index in the UK, A Necessary Panacea for the Insurance Industry? In: British Academy of Management Corporate Governance Conference (BAM CG SIG 2018) 11-12 June 2018 University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.
- Abdoush, T., Wolfe, S. and Marshall, A., 2016. Does Corporate Governance Affect the Performance of Insurance Firms in the UK? In: British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2016) 6-8 September 2016 University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK.
- Abdoush, T., Wolfe, S. and Marshall, A., 2016. The Development of a Corporate Governance Index for UK Insurance Firms, A Necessary Panacea? In: British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2016) 6-8 September 2016 University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK.
- Abdoush, T., Wolfe, S. and Marshall, A., 2016. The Choice of Distribution Strategy as a Complementary Corporate Governance System, Does it work? In: British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2016) 6-8 September 2016 University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK.
- Azeez Balogun, 2021. The Role of Corporate Governance Mechanisms and Family Influence on Tax Aggressiveness of Family Firms
- Tahani Mohamed, 2020. The Impact of Book Tax Difference on Firm Value with the Moderating Role of Corporate Governance on the UK FTSE350 Index (Completed)
- Bchr Alatassi, 2021. Best Practice in Bank Corporate Governance: The Case of Islamic Banks
- Tahani Mohamed, 2020. Evaluation of Tax Minimisation and Corporate Governance in UK Multinational Companies
Profile of Teaching PG
- Corporate Governance and Ethics (2017-)
Profile of Teaching UG
- Accounting & Quantitative Analysis (2017-2019)
- Corporate Financial Management (2018-2020)
- Financial & Business Analysis (2017-2018)
- Professional Studies & Quantitative Techniques (2019-2020)
- Money, Banking & Financial Services (2020-)
- Business & Financial Analysis [Online] (2017-)
- Do Corporations Prosocial Sustainability Behaviours Increase Resilience Against Ethical Crises? (University of Southampton, 04 Dec 2019). Awarded
- International Journal of Emerging Markets, Reviewer (2020-)
- Accounting Research Journal, Reviewer (2019-), https://www.emeraldinsight.com/journal/arj
- Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society, Reviewer (2019-), https://www.emeraldinsight.com/journal/cg
- International Journal of Finance and Economics, Reviewer (2019-), https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10991158
- Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies, Reviewer (2019-), https://www.emeraldinsight.com/journal/jaee
- Southampton Sight (Charity), Trustee & Treasurer (2018-), http://southamptonsight.org.uk/
- Velmore Community Centre, Trustee & Treasurer (2018-2019), http://www.velmorecentre.co.uk/
- Investment Management and Financial Innovations, Reviewer (2018-), https://businessperspectives.org/journals/investment-management-and-financial-innovations
- Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, Reviewer (2017-), https://www.emeraldinsight.com/journal/jfra
- Programme Leader - UG Top-Up Routes (2018-2019), BA(Hons) Business and Management; BA(Hons) International Management
- PhD Internal Examiner (2018-), The Business School, Faculty of Management
- Programme Leader (2019-), MSc Corporate Governance (Guernsey)
- Mentor and Assessor (2019-), TeachBU (HEA Fellowship), Faculty of Management
- The 33rd Annual British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2019): Building and Sustaining High Performance Organisations During Uncertain Times, 03 Sep 2019, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
- British Academy of Management Corporate Governance Conference (BAM CG SIG 2019), 24 Jun 2019, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- The 4th International Conference on Organization and Management (ICOM 2019) & The 6th International Conference on CSR, Sustainability, Ethics & Governance 2019, 12 Jun 2019, Abu Dhabi University, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- British Academy of Management Corporate Governance Conference (BAM CG SIG 2018), 11 Jun 2018, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
- The 30th Annual British Academy of Management Conference (BAM2016): Thriving in Turbulent Times, 06 Sep 2016, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, UK
- PGCert - Postgraduate Certificate in Education Practice (2018/19), 28 Jun 2019, Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Enhancing Practice & Developing the Self: Programme Leadership (2018/19), 28 Jun 2019, BU Certificate in Programme Leadership
- Sustainable Development and Corporate Reporting: Current Issues – A Workshop for Early Career Researchers from Russia and the UK, 18 Jun 2019
- Doctoral Supervision: Established Supervisors (2019), 15 Apr 2019
- Introduction to Longitudinal Structural Equation Modelling with R (2019), 01 Feb 2019
- Doctoral Supervision: New Supervisors (2018), 24 May 2018
- Introduction to Learning and Teaching for Researchers (ILTeR), 29 Mar 2017, Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy (AFHEA)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- PhD in Accounting and Finance (University of Southampton, 2017)
- MSc in Risk Management (University of Southampton, 2011)
- BSc (Hons) in Economics (Damascus University, 2003)
- Best Paper in Corporate Governance: Awarded at BAM2016 Conference, 6-8 September 2016, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK. (British Academy of Management, 2016)
- 1st Class Honours Degree: Awarded BSc in Economics with First-Class Honours, Faculty of Economics, Damascus University, Damascus, Syria. (Damascus University, 2003)
- Advance HE (Higher Education Academy), Senior Fellow (SFHEA) (2019-), https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/
- Association of International Accountants (AIA), Academic Fellow - FAIA(Acad) (2019-), http://www.aiaworldwide.com/
- Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS), Member (2019-), https://charteredabs.org/
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI), Fellow (FCMI) (2019-), https://www.managers.org.uk/
- Emerging Markets Society (EMS), Member (2019-), https://www.em-society.org/
- Online Learning Consortium (OLC), Member (2019-), https://onlinelearningconsortium.org/
- UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE), Member (2019-), http://www.ukcge.ac.uk/
- British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), Member (2018-), http://www.bafa.ac.uk/
- British Academy of Management (BAM), Member (2015-), https://www.bam.ac.uk/
- The Conversation: In-depth Analysis Research News and Ideas from Leading Academics and Researchers and Delivered Direct to the Public.
- Advance HE Connect – where higher education staff can share resources, ideas and research as they connect with other practitioners to form online global communities.
- UKCGE Postgraduate Research Supervisors Network: The world’s first national network for research supervisors. This fast-growing community provides a forum for discussion & learning, enabling supervisors to support each other in enhancing their own practice.
- Online Learning Consortium: OLC is a collaborative community of higher education leaders and innovators, dedicated to advancing quality digital teaching and learning experiences designed to reach and engage the modern learner – anyone, anywhere, anytime.
- CMI ManagementDirect: Online, desktop information and learning resource to support individual managers in organisations. We have structured it so that the content is relevant to managers at all levels and at all stages in their careers.