Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Phyllis Rea Alexander is a Principal Academic in Accounting and Taxation within the Business School of Bournemouth University. She joined BU's Accounting, Finance and Economics Department in 2007 following a successful twenty-year career as a US Certified Public Accountant. Her professional experiences included general accounting and auditing services with a medium-sized public accounting firm followed by international tax consultancy services with a ‘Big 4’ accounting firm. She remains an active member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Society of CPAs.
Phyllis received her doctorate from Bournemouth University in 2013. Her PhD thesis is entitled Owner-occupied Housing Taxation: An Equity Evaluation of the UK and US Tax Systems. Phyllis’ research interests include aspects of personal tax equity and efficiency, international tax matters, financial analysis, corporate governance, accounting pedagogy and fair access to higher education.
Phyllis has taught various subjects during her tenure at BU including advanced accounting, financial analysis, personal and corporate taxation within national and international contexts... Her current PhD candidates are researching in the specialist areas of corporate governance, financial distress, and auditing.
Phyllis has taken an active role in programme, curricula and departmental management. Her previous positions within AFE have included UG and PG Programme Leaders, Head of Education and Professional Practice and interim Head of Department. She currently holds the internal positions of AACSB Assurance of Learning Co-Lead, TeachBU Mentor, Quality Assurance and Engagement Group member and Co-Lead of the Business School's Industry Advisory Board. Her external commitments include Vice-President of the Association des Formations Europeenes a la comptabilite et a l’audit (AFECA) and external examiner at Middlesex University.more
Fair Access - understanding the attitudes and opinions of fair access students about accessing Higher Education. The purpose of this project was to explore the perceptions of fair access students of the factors which led them to consider accessing Higher Education in the first instance and secondly, the reasons why Bournemouth University was an attractive choice for them.
International Learning Platform in Accountnacy (Funded by ERASMUS+). The purpose of this project are to - (1) Generate an internationally oriented learning platform in accountancy; (2) Support the development of students’ specific competencies in accountancy with regard for subject knowledge, employability skills and professional ethics; and (3) design and develop teaching concepts including integrated case studies in accountancy within a European context.
Tax Literacy: Improving Tax Compliance (Funded by the CIOT). The underlying objectives of the study are – (1) to investigate the inter-relationship between financial literacy, tax literacy, tax morale and tax compliance attitude of individuals in the UK; (2) to establish socio-economic information that will facilitate the profiling of tax literate and illiterate individuals; (3) to establish whether working individuals should be educated in tax prior to entering the labour market.
Importance and awareness of National Student Survey improvement initiatives: A case study of final year undergraduate students (internally funded). The purpose of this project was to investigate the importance and awareness by final year undergraduate Accounting and Finance students of the National Students Survey (NSS) improvement initiatives that were put in place by the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics within the Faculty of Management at Bournemouth University.
- Tauringana, V., Mbah, M. and Alexander, P., 2017. Interrogating the importance and awareness of NSS improvement initiatives: a case study of final-year undergraduate students. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 1-21.
- Heaslip, V., hewitt-taylor, J., Alexander, P., Ellis-Hill, C. and Seibert-Santos, C., 2015. What factors influence Fair Access students to consider university and what do they look for? Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, 17 (4), 67-88.
- Alexander, P., 2016. Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: A Vertical Equity Evaluation of the UK and US Tax Systems. In Salter and Oats ed Contemporary Issues in Tax Research. In: Oats, L. and Salter, N., eds. Contemporary Issues in Tax Research (Volume 2). Birmingham: Fiscal Publications.
- Alexander, P., 2018. Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: An Equity Evaluation of the UK and US Tax Systems. In: Society for Legal Scholars Conference 3-5 September 2007 Durham.
- Mccarthy, D., 2017. Caring companies and their caring employees: an examination of the relationship between PSM and CSR. In: International Research Society For Public Management (IRSPM) Conference 1-3 April 2014 Birmingham.
- Alexander, P., 2016. Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: Challenging Conventional Wisdoms. In: Society for Legal Scholars Conference 2-4 September 2013 Edinburgh.
- Alexander, P., 2016. Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: an Extension of a Classical Structural Measure of Vertical Equity. In: Tax Research Network Conference 4-6 September 2013 Exeter.
- Hansford, A. and Alexander, P., 2010. Building Bridges based on equity: an international study of the taxation of housing. In: 9th International Tax Administration Conference: Building Bridges 7-9 April 2010 Sydney, Australia.
- Dennis Seaman, 2020. Audit committees and corporate governance
- Joseph Chenchehene, 2018. CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND FINANCIAL DISTRESS PREDICTION IN THE UK
Profile of Teaching PG
- Accounting and Financial Management, 2014 through 2017
- International Accounting and Analysis, 2009 through 2017
- International Direct Taxation, 2017 to present
- Advanced Accounting and Financial Analysis, 2017 to present
Profile of Teaching UG
- Introduction to Accounting (Level 4), 2009 through 2013
- International Taxation (Level 7), 2017 to present
- Business Tax Planning (Level 5), 2007 through 2013
- Law of Personal Tax II (Level 7), 2013 - present
- Designing Innovative Pedagogy for Complex Accountancy Topics (Erasmus+, 01 Sep 2018). In Progress
- Tax Literacy: Improving Tax Compliance (Chartered Institute of Taxation, 01 Jul 2016). Awarded
- International Learning Platform in Accountancy (ERASMUS+, 01 Jul 2016). Awarded
- Lead for the Partners in Accounting and Finance, Partners in Accounting and Finance. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-faculties/faculty-management/our-departments/bournemouth-university-business-school/department-accounting-finance-economics/partners-accounting-finance" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-faculties/faculty-management/our-departments/bournemouth-university-business-school/department-accounting-finance-economics/partners-accounting-finance<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- TeachBU Mentor and Assessor, TeachBU. <a href="https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/centre-excellence-learning/staff-development/teachbu" class="iconRight" target="blank">https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/centre-excellence-learning/staff-development/teachbu<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- BU Representative on the Committee for Departments of Accounting and Finance, University Representative on CDAF. <a href="http://bafa.ac.uk/subgroups/cdaf/" class="iconRight" target="blank">http://bafa.ac.uk/subgroups/cdaf/<i class="fa fa-external-link"></i></a>
- Faculty Representative to QAEG, Quality Assurance and Engagement Group
- AACSB AoL Co-Lead, AACSB Steering Group
- Tax Administration Conference, Building Bridges Based on Equity: An International Study of the Taxation on Housing, 01 Apr 2014, Sydney
- Society for Legal Scholars Conference, Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: An Equity Evaluation of the UK and US Tax Systems, 03 Sep 2007, Durham
- Society for Legal Scholars Conference, Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: Challenging Conventional Wisdoms, 02 Sep 2013, Edinburgh
- Tax Research Network Conference, Owner Occupied Housing Taxation: an Extension of a Classical Structural Measure of Vertical Equity, 04 Sep 2013, Exeter
- International Research Society For Public Management (IRSPM), Caring companies and their caring employees: an examination of the relationship between PSM and CSR, 01 Apr 2016, Birmingham
- PhD in Taxation (Bournemouth University, 2013)
- MA in Taxation (Bournemouth University, 2007)
- BA (Hons) in Accounting and Business Administration (Susquehanna University, 1987)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member,
- Chartered Management Institute, Fellow (2015-),
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2016-),
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member,