Dr Roman Gerodimos
- 01202 965105
- rgerodimos at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Academic Grade 9
- Weymouth House W334, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My research focuses on the challenges facing democracy in the 21st century. I am particularly interested in emerging patterns and forms of civic engagement in an era of accelerated globalisation, individualism and digitization. The ultimate aim of my quest is to establish ways of mobilising and empowering citizens within the context of pressing global challenges.
As part of my sabbatical during 2013/14, I am a visiting scholar at Emerson College in Boston, carrying out fieldwork on the relationship between urban public space and the civic culture, as well as on the role of digital literacy in youth engagement with local and global issues. Since 2010 I have been a faculty member at the Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change - a unique summer school and year-round multidimensional initiative bringing together top students and leading faculty from all over the world.
My background is in political science, European politics and international studies (BSc, Panteion University of Athens; MSc / Government, LSE), as well as qualitative research, social psychology of the media and journalism education... My doctoral research (PhD in Political Commmunication, Bournemouth) focused on the factors that motivate young people to engage with public affairs looking at the civic potential of NGO and youth websites. It won the 2010 Arthur McDougall Prize for Best Dissertation by the Political Studies Association (PSA).
A lot of my work also focuses on Greece. In 2004 I founded and have since led the Greek Politics Specialist Group (GPSG) of the PSA. The GPSG has become a major international network of leading experts on Greek society and politics: supporting research on Greek political and social affairs, organising scholarly events and providing a link between academic experts, practitioners and the media.more
I am currently a visiting scholar at Emerson College in Boston, USA, carrying out fieldwork on the relationship between digital literacy, youth engagement, urban public space and the civic culture.
I am currently co-editing an edited volume on "The Politics of Extreme Austerity: Greece Beyond the Crisis" (with G. Karyotis, for Palgrave, 2014).
The main research projects that I am currently working on are:
- Polis: The civic potential of urban landscapes: looking at the ways in which we can re-engage young people with public spaces in the age of mediated reality.
The first stage of the analysis focuses on Athens (Greece) as a case study of an urban community facing considerable political, economic and social challenges.
- On Cities: Media literacy as a tool of youth engagement with public space Part of a global conversation led by Prof. Sanjeev Chatterjee, this project aims to better understand urban challenges and the role of cities in the 21st century, as well as to develop a methodological framework for the investigation of media literacy and global citizenship amongst young people.
- Far Left Populism and Extremism in Greece: Through an in-depth analysis of extremist discourse, this project explores the role of populism, victimhood and revenge in the discourse of Greek anarchists and terrorists. Furthermore, it seeks to map and contextualise incidents of political violence and terrorism so as to facilitate the understanding of these phenomena...
- Unplugged: 24 Hours without Media: This project explores young people’s relationship with the media and in particular the impact of our increasing media dependence on our relationship to public spaces and on the civic culture.
- Global Citizenship, Diplomacy and New Media: Can citizens play a legitimate and effective role in international affairs? Are online civic movements merely another form of political protest or are we witnessing the rise of a new paradigm of transnational body politic?more
- Gerodimos, R., 2013. The Ideology of Far-Left Populism in Greece: Blame, Victimhood and Revenge in the Discourse of Greek Anarchists. Political Studies.
- Gerodimos, R., 2012. Journalism Students as Global Citizens and Mediators: Incorporating Global Current Affairs into the Journalism Curriculum. Journalism Education, 1 (1), 70-86.
- Gerodimos, R., 2012. Online Youth Civic Attitudes and the Limits of Civic Consumerism: the Emerging Challenge to the Internet’s Democratic Potential. Information, Communication and Society, 15, 217-245.
- Gerodimos, R., 2008. Mobilising Young Citizens in the UK: a content analysis of youth and issue websites. Information, Communication and Society, 11, 964-988.
- Gerodimos, R., 2006. Democracy and the internet: access, engagement and deliberation. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, 3, 26-31.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. The UK BSE crisis as a failure of government. Public Administration, 82, 911-929.
- The Politics of Extreme Austerity: Greece Beyond the Crisis. Palgrave.
- The Media, Political Participation and Empowerment. Routledge.
- Gerodimos, R., 2014. Reclaiming the urban landscape, rebuilding the civic culture: Media and public space in Athens, Greece. In: . Mediated Communities: Civic Voices, Empowerment and Belonging In the Digital Era. New York: Peter Lang.
- Gerodimos, R., 2013. Introducing 'citizen diplomacy 2.0': A framework for the study of online civic engagement with global affairs. In: Scullion, R., Gerodimos, R., Jackson, D. and Lilleker, D.G., eds. The Media, Political Participation and Empowerment. London: Routledge, 161-174.
- Scullion, R., Lilleker, D.G., Gerodimos, R. and Jackson, D., 2013. Concluding thoughts. In: Scullion, R., Gerodimos, R., Jackson, D. and Lilleker, D.G., eds. The Media, Political Participation and Empowerment. London: Routledge.
- Gerodimos, R., Scullion, R., Lilleker, D.G. and Jackson, D., 2013. Introduction to the media, political participation and empowerment. In: Scullion, R., Gerodimos, R., Jackson, D. and Lilleker, D.G., eds. The Media, Political Participation and Empowerment. London: Routledge.
- Thorsen, E., 2013. Routinisation of Audience Participation: BBC News Online, Citizenship and Democratic Debate. In: Scullion, R., Gerodimos, R., Jackson, D. and Lilleker, D., eds. The Media, Political Participation and Empowerment. Routledge.
- Gerodimos, R., 2013. Global News, Global Challenges. In: Fowler-Watt, K. and Allan, S., eds. Journalism: New Challenges. Centre for Communication and Journalism Research.
- Gerodimos, R., 2012. Online Youth Attitudes and the Limits of Civic Consumerism: The emerging challenge to the Internet's Democratic potential. In: Loader, B. and Mercea, D., eds. Social Media and Democracy: Innovations in Participatory Politics. London: Routledge, 166-189.
- Gerodimos, R. and Ward, J., 2007. Rethinking Online Youth Civic Engagement: Reflections on Web Content Analysis. In: Loader, B.D., ed. Young Citizens in the Digital Age : Political Engagement, Young People and New Media. Abingdon, England: Routledge, 114-126.
- Gerodimos, R., 2014. The Politics of Public Space in Athens: Power, Conflict and Co-existence in the Context of the Greek Crisis. In: 64th annual conference of the Political Studies Association 14-16 April 2014 Manchester.
- Gerodimos, R., 2013. Obama’s 2012 Facebook Campaign: political communication in the age of the Like button. In: ECREA Political Communication Conference 18-20 September 2013 Milan.
- Gerodimos, R., 2013. The Web of One: Web Personalisation v. User Satisfaction on Facebook. In: Media and Politics Group Annual Conference 13-14 November 2013 Bournemouth University.
- Gerodimos, R., 2011. Extreme Emotions: an analysis of the role of emotions in the discourse of Greek terrorist and anarchist groups. In: 61st Political Studies Association Annual Conference. Transforming Politics: New Synergies 19-21 April 2011 London.
- Gerodimos, R., 2011. Introducing ‘Citizen Diplomacy 2.0’: A framework for the study of online civic engagement with global affairs. In: Media & Politics Group (MPG) Annual Conference 3-4 November 2011 Bournemouth University, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2011. Populism, victimhood and ethical austerity. In: International Conference “The Politics of Extreme Austerity: Greece Beyond the Crisis” 8-9 December 2011 University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- Gerodimos, R., 2011. Youth Engagement with Global Current Affairs: Lessons from a 2nd Year Multi-Media Journalism Unit. In: 4th International Conference on Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship: “Global Vision, Local Action” 8-9 September 2011 Bournemouth University, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2010. Online Youth Attitudes and the Limits of Civic Consumerism: the Emerging Challenge to the Internet's Democratic Potential. In: "Networking Democracy? New Media Innovations in Participatory Politics 25-27 June 2010 Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania.
- Gerodimos, R., 2009. Civic Engagement in Post-Representational Democracy: Is it time for 'Political Aid' and 'Civic Consultants'? In: 59th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association: Challenges for Democracy in a Global Era 7-9 April 2009 University of Manchester, England. Political Studies Association.
- Gerodimos, R., 2009. Online Mobilisation and Citizen Diplomacy. In: "Images of Nations: Strategic Communication, Soft Power and the Media" 4-5 February 2009 Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Athens, Greece.
- Gerodimos, R., 2009. Youth Civic Attitudes in a Segmented Public Sphere: Challenges and Prospects. In: 59th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association: Challenges for Democracy in a Global Era 7-9 April 2009 University of Manchester, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2008. How to Mobilise Young People: Recommendations for NGOs and Civic Organisations. In: 58th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association: Democracy, Governance and Conflict: Dilemmas of Theory and Practice 1-3 April 2008 University of Swansea, Wales. Political Studies Association.
- Gerodimos, R., 2007. Engaging Young Citizens: Young User's Evaluations of Issue Websites. In: 57th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association 11-13 April 2007 University of Bath.
- Gerodimos, R., 2006. Mobilising Young Citizens in the UK: A Content Analysis of Youth and Issue Websites. In: Information Communication, Society (iCS) 10th Anniversary Symposium 20-22 September 2006 University of York.
- Gerodimos, R., 2006. A Deficit of Civil Society? A Comparative Analysis of UK Youth and Issue Networks and Websites. In: 56th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association (PSA) 3-6 April 2006 University of Reading.
- Gerodimos, R., 2005. Political Communication and Crisis Governance: the Case of Greece. In: Inaugural Northern Ireland Graduate Conference 7 May 2005 University of Ulster, Jordanstown.
- Gerodimos, R., 2005. Democracy Reloaded: Generation Y and Online Civic Engagement. In: Internet Research (IR) 6.0 - Internet Generations. 6th annual international conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) 5-9 October 2005 University of Illinois, Chicago.
- Gerodimos, R., 2005. Democratic Engagement and Media Uses Amongst the Internet Generation. In: 55th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association (PSA) 4-7 April 2005 University of Leeds.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. Journalists in the eye of the storm: balancing ethics and competition. In: MedaiWise / National Union of Journalists (NUJ) Ethics Council Conference 4 December 2004 London.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. Mind the Gaps: Political Rhetoric, Executive Reality and Public Trust. In: Communication in the Age of Suspicion: Trust, Communication and Culture 20-21 February 2004 Bournemouth University, Poole.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. Democracy and the Internet: Access, Engagement and Deliberation. In: 2nd International Conference on Politics and Information Systems: Technologies and Applications 21-25 July 2004 Orlando, FL, USA. Orlando, USA: International Institute of Informatics and Systematics, 103-108.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. Democracy and the Internet: Emerging Lessons from the 21st Century Public Sphere. In: 54th Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association (PSA) 6-8 April 2004 University of Lincoln, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. Social Movements and Online Civic Engagement. In: 2nd International Conference: Imaging Social Movements 1-3 July 2004 Ormskirk, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2004. The interaction of Civic Culture and Cyberculture and its Effect on Democracy: a Research Agenda. In: Internet Research 5.0: ubiquity? 19-22 September 2004 Brighton, England. Oxford, England: Association of Internet Researchers.
- Gerodimos, R., 2003. The Blair Government v. the Media in the Iraq Crisis: Strategic Communications and Agenda Setting. In: Annual Conference of the Elections, Public Opinion and Parties (EPOP) Specialist Group 13 September 2003 Cardiff.
- Gerodimos, R., 2003. New Labour’s Strategic Communications Before and After 01/05/1997: A Comparative Case Study of Strategic Output. In: Democracy and Diversity: 53rd Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association (PSA) 15-17 April 2003 University of Leicester, England.
- Gerodimos, R., 2011. Going “Unplugged”: Exploring Students’ Relationship with the Media and its Pedagogic Implications. Centre for Excellence in Media Practice. Available from: http://multimediajournalism.info/event/jrg-seminar-going-%E2%80%9Cunplugged%E2%80%9D-exploring-students%E2%80%99-relationship-with-the-media-and-its-pedagogic-implications/ Accessed 2011.
- Gerodimos, R., 2009. A Dissertation Workbook for Level H Media Students: Consultation & Revision Project. Centre for Excellence in Media Practice.
- Arpapat Indradat
- John Maszka (Identifying the Structural Preconditions that Contribute to Popular Support for Terrorism)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Citizen Journalism & Social Reporting
- Journalism in Global Contexts
Profile of Teaching UG
- Global Current Affairs
- Media, Journalism & Society
- Media: Messages and Meanings
- "Is the Greek Crisis Symptomatic of EU Failure?", 9 March 2012, European Union Society, University of Sussex
- "The Age of Engagement: Empowering Citizens in the Global Public Sphere", 23 July 2012, Subnet talk series, Salzburg Global Seminar, Austria
- Utilising Media Literacy to Promote Student Engagement with Local and Global Issues (Fusion Investment Fund, Bournemouth University, 01 Oct 2013). In Progress
- Greek Politics Specialist Group of the Political Studies Association, Founder and Convenor (2004-), http://www.gpsg.org.uk/
- PSA Graduate Network (PGN), Communications and External Relations Officer (2004-2006), http://www.psa.ac.uk/
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Media appearances and expert interviews: BBC1, BBC News 24, BBC World, ZDF (Germany), Inter TV (Ukraine), Associated Press, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio Five Live, BBC World Service, Boston WERS (US), Newstalk ZB (New Zealand), CNN.com, BBC News, USA Today, Newsweek / The Daily Beast, The Washington Times, The Independent, Sunday Telegraph, Daily Mail, Times Higher Education Supplement, The Edinburgh Journal, Global Post, MarketWatch, Die Zeit (Germany), Politiken (Denmark), MediaPart (France), To Vima (Greece), Kathimerini (Greece), Ta Nea (Greece), El Mercurio (Chile), Pravda (Slovakia), Correio Braziliense (Brazil), Adevarul (Romania), Economia & Mercado (Angola)
- Founder and Convenor, Greek Politics Specialist Group (GPSG) Faculty Member, The Salzburg Academy on Media & Global Change Member of the Political Studies Association (PSA) Member of the Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA)
- BSc (Hons) in International and European Studies (Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences, 2000)
- MSc in Government (European Politics & Policy) (London School of Economics, 2001)
- PG Cert in Academic Practice (Academic Services, Bournemouth University, 2006)
- PhD in Political Communication (The Media School, Bournemouth University, 2010)
- 2010 Arthur McDougall Prize for Best Dissertation in Elections, Electoral Systems or Representation (Political Studies Association, 2011)
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Bournemouth University, 2008)
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (Bournemouth University, 2009)
- Communication and Cultural Studies Association (MeCCSA), Member,
- Higher Education Academy (FHEA), Fellow,
- Political Studies Association, Member,