Dr Alejandro Estudillo
- 01202 962229
- aestudillo at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Psychology
- Poole House P332
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I received my BSc Psychology (Hons) degree from the University of Málaga (Spain) in 2008. I then continued my postgraduate studies at the University of Granada (MSc in Cognitive and Behavioural Neuroscience) and at the University of Edinburgh (MSc in Human Cognitive Neuropsychology). Following this, I commenced my PhD at the University of Kent, and was awarded with a PhD in Human Cognitive Psychology and Neuropsychology in 2016. Subsequently, I became an Assistant Professor at the University of Nottingham Malaysia, before I moved to Bournemouth in 2020.
My research focuses on understanding how our visual system provide us with information about the world that we can use to recognize and interact with objects, environments and people. I am interested in visual perception from the most basic level (e.g. how we discriminate between different shapes) to the most complex (e.g., face and object recognition). I am also interested in the cognitive mechanisms used to solve different mathematical operations (e.g., additions and subtractions).
To provide this understanding, I use techniques, such as eye-tracking (which allows us to track where participants are looking), EEG-ERP (to measure participants’ brain activity while viewing certain stimuli, such as faces and other objects), and classical behavioral (e.g., old/new recognition memory paradigm) and psychophysical paradigms.
- Estudillo, A.J. and Wong, H.K., 2021. Associations between self-reported and objective face recognition abilities are only evident in above- and below-average recognisers. PeerJ.
- Estudillo, A.J., Lee, J.K.W., Mennie, N. and Burns, E., 2020. No evidence of other-race effect for Chinese faces in Malaysian non-Chinese population. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 34 (1), 270-276.
- Estudillo, A.J., Kaufmann, J.M., Bindemann, M. and Schweinberger, S.R., 2018. Multisensory stimulation modulates perceptual and post perceptual face representations: Evidence from event-related potentials. European Journal of Neuroscience, 48 (5), 2259-2271.
- Montenegro, I.R., Álvarez-Montesinos, J.A., Estudillo, A.J. and García-Orza, J., 2017. Direct current electrical stimulation in the treatment of aphasia. Revista de Neurologia, 65 (12), 553-562.
- García-Orza, J., Estudillo, A.J., Calleja, M. and Rodríguez, J.M., 2017. Is place-value processing in four-digit numbers fully automatic? Yes, but not always. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 24 (6), 1906-1914.
- Estudillo, A.J. and Bindemann, M., 2017. Can gaze-contingent mirror-feedback from unfamiliar faces alter self-recognition? Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (5), 944-958.
- Estudillo, A.J., 2017. Commentary: My face or yours? Event-related potential correlates of self-face processing. Frontiers in Psychology, 8 (APR).
- Estudillo, A.J. and Bindemann, M., 2016. Multisensory stimulation with other-race faces and the reduction of racial prejudice. Consciousness and Cognition, 42, 325-339.
- Estudillo, A.J., Romero, E.B., Casado, N., Das, J.P. and Garcia-Orza, J., 2015. Automaticity in subtractions depends on problem-size. Anales de Psicologia, 31 (2), 697-704.
- Estudillo, A.J. and Bindemann, M., 2014. Generalization across view in face memory and face matching. i-Perception, 5 (7), 589-601.
- Estudillo, A.J., 2012. Facial memory: The role of the pre-existing knowledge in face processing and recognition. Europe's Journal of Psychology, 8 (2), 231-244.
- García-Orza, J., Perea, M. and Estudillo, A., 2011. Masked transposition effects for simple versus complex nonalphanumeric objects. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics, 73 (8), 2573-2582.
- Creation of a neurophysiology lab (CAPEX, 01 Nov 2019). Awarded
- Understanding the difficulties in solving single–digit multiplications. A neuro–educational approach. (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme. Ministry of Education Malaysia, 01 Sep 2019). Awarded
- Using neuroscience to understand and improve human face recognition. (Fundamental Research Grant Scheme. Ministry of Education Malaysia, 01 Sep 2018). Awarded
- Creation of Cognitive Neuroscience and Learning Laboratory (Facilities and equipment Research Grant, 01 Aug 2018). Awarded
- The neural basis of the enfacement illusion (Experimental Psychology Society, 01 Nov 2014). Completed
- Dyscalculia: a neurocognitive view (Spanish Science Government Department, 01 Sep 2012). Completed
- Psychology and neuropsychology of numerical processing and calculus. (Spanish Science Government Department, 01 Sep 2009). Completed