Dr Carina Westling
- 01202 966729
- cwestling at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Cross-Platform Media
- Weymouth House W207, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a media and cultural studies scholar and research digital media and cultures. I specialise in the tensions and opportunities formed between the technical, social and discursive aspects of multimedia environments and design for immersive, AR/VR and blended applications. I have research and professional experience in ethnographic and remote audience research in digital and physical media with live and online populations, and have developed a theoretical framework for interrogating the modelling of human participation and integration in distributed interactive systems across digital and physical materialities. This work is informed by professional experience in the independent and commercial creative industries, spanning cross-platform production and publication and working as Creative Director with ideas generation, project design and production of fully funded interactive AI, AR and XR projects for physical and digital media with the Nimbus Group. The Nimbus Group is currently commissioned to produce Crucible, a permanent interactive work for the new Sussex Royal Hospital (to be inaugurated in 2020)...
During my PhD, I undertook a comprehensive ethnographic study with Punchdrunk in London (2011-2014) for the production of The Drowned Man, their largest production to date, and two Punchdrunk Enrichment projects. I maintain an ongoing research relationship with the company, particularly for their digital R&D work. I have a background in arts, performance and management of large public events that complements and grounds this research. I have been the lead and co-lead on project design and writing for ten successful arts and research grants, listed below. I am currently Co-Investigator on the AHRC-funded immersive augmented reality project Digital Ghost Hunt, and have written a monograph on physical and digital scenography for Bloomsbury Academic with the title 'Immersion and Participation in Punchdrunk’s Theatrical Worlds' (May 2020).more
Ideas generation and funding for Tragic End; a multi-media project with Wendy Bevan-Mogg (author), Daniel Locke (artist), Jamie Wyld and Carina Westling (Nimbus Group). F
First meeting: 4 November 2019 in Brighton Second meeting 9 December 2019 in Brighton (Wendy participating by Skype).
- Westling, C. and Bevan-Mogg, W., 2021. Reimagining the Anatomy Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp for Zoom and 2020. Elsevier Entertainment Computing: Special Issue on Interactive Digital Storytelling.
- Westling, C., Hall, E. and Krell, M., 2021. Inverting the 'black box' of technology: The Digital Ghost Hunt. International Journal of Creative Media Research.
- Westling, C., Hall, E. and Krell, M., 2020. Reimagining heritage buildings as technological spaces. Architecture_media_politics_society.
- Witchel, H.J., Thompson, G.A., Jones, C.I., Westling, C.E.I., Romero, J., Nicotra, A., Maag, B. and Critchley, H.D., 2020. Spelling errors and shouting capitalization lead to additive penalties to trustworthiness of online health information: Randomized experiment with laypersons. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 22 (6).
- Subhani, B.R., Amos-Oluwole, O.I., Claxton, H.L., Holmes, D.C., Westling, C.E.I. and Witchel, H.J., 2019. Compliant activity rather than difficulty accelerates thought probe responsiveness and inhibits deliberate mind wandering. Behaviour and Information Technology, 38 (10), 1048-1059.
- Smithies, J., Westling, C., Sichani, A.-M., Mellen, P. and Ciula, A., 2019. Managing 100 Digital Humanities Projects: Digital scholarship and archiving in King’s Digital Lab. Digital Humanities Quarterly, 13 (1).
- Witchel, H.J., Westling, C.E.I. et al., 2018. Thigh-derived inertial sensor metrics to assess the sit-to-stand and stand-to-sit transitions in the timed up and go (TUG) Task for quantifying mobility impairment in multiple sclerosis. Frontiers in Neurology, 9 (SEP).
- Witchel, H.J., Santos, C.P., Ackah, J.K., Westling, C.E.I. and Chockalingam, N., 2016. Non-Instrumental Movement Inhibition (NIMI) Differentially Suppresses Head and Thigh Movements during Screenic Engagement: Dependence on Interaction. Frontiers in Psychology, 7.
- Witchel, H., Westling, C., Tee, J., Healy, A., Needham, R. and Chockalingam, N., 2014. What does not happen: quantifying embodied engagement using NIMI and self-adaptors. Participations: journal of audience and reception studies, 11 (1), 304-331.
- Witchel, H. and Westling, C., 2013. Inputs and outputs: engagement in digital media from the maker's perspective. Excursions, 4 (1).
- Westling, C.E.I., 2020. Immersion and Participation in Punchdrunk's Theatrical Worlds. Methuen Drama.
- Westling, C., 2016. Immanent Story Worlds: The making of Punchdrunk’s The Drowned Man – a Hollywood fable. In: Turner, P. and Harviainen, T., eds. Digital Make-believe. New York: Springer.
- Westling, C.E.I., 2019. The technological gaze how we see audiences, and the unmodern sublime.
- Amos-Oluwole, O.I., Subhani, B.R., Claxton, H., Holmes, D.C., Westling, C.E.I. and Witchel, H.J., 2019. Compliant activity inhibits deliberate mind wandering and accelerates thought probe responsiveness compared to compliant inactivity. 65-68.
- Söderström, U., Li, S., Claxton, H.L., Holmes, D.C., Ranji, T.T., Santos, C.P., Westling, C.E.I. and Witchel, H.J., 2019. Toward emotional recognition during HCI using marker-based automated video tracking. 49-52.
- Westling, C., 2019. Modelling Agency, not Agents. In: Resisting Digital Culture 10 May 2019 King's College London.
- Witchel, H.J. and Westling, C.E.I., 2019. A manifesto for cognitive ergonomics: Re-evaluating Technology Usability for the 21st Century. 26-35.
- Witchel, H.J., Claxton, H.L., Holmes, D.C., Ranji, T.T., Chalkley, J.D., Santos, C.P., Westling, C.E.I., Valstar, M.F., Celuszak, M. and Fagan, P., 2018. A trigger-substrate model for smiling during an automated formative quiz: Engagement is the substrate, not frustration.
- Witchel, H.J., Westling, C.E.I. et al., 2017. Using wearable inertial sensors to compare different versions of the dual task paradigm during walking. 150-157.
- Chalkley, J.D., Ranji, T.T., Westling, C.E.I., Chockalingam, N. and Witchel, H.J., 2017. Wearable sensor metric for fidgeting: Screen engagement rather than interest causes NIMI of wrists and ankles. 158-161.
- Westling, C., 2017. Giddy Brighton: Situated oral histories. In: Life History and Life Writing Research: Critical and Creative approaches 16 June 2017 University of Sussex.
- Smithies, J., Sichani, A.-M. and Westling, C., 2017. Preserving 30 years of Digital Humanities Work: The experience of King’s Digital Lab. In: DPASSH 2017 14-15 June 2017 University of Sussex.
- Westling, C., 2016. Postdigital Efficiency in Interaction Design. In: ICLI 2016 29 June-3 July 2016 University of Sussex.
- Witchel, H.J., Santos, C.P., Ackah, J.K., Tee, J., Chockalingam, N. and Westling, C.E.I., 2016. The complex relationship between empathy, engagement and boredom.
- Westling, C.E.I., Ackah, J.K., Santos, C.P., Chockalingam, N. and Witchel, H.J., 2016. Experience design: Video without faces increases engagement but not empathy.
- Oberndorfer, C., Westling, C.E.I. et al., 2016. Ambulatory motor dysfunction in MS assessed by wearable inertial sensor metrics during the timed-up-and-go task (TUG). 667.
- Oberndorfer, C., Westling, C.E.I. et al., 2015. Ambulatory motor fatigue in MS assessed by wearable inertial sensor metrics during the six minute walk. 307-308.
- López-Méndez, A., Westling, C., Emonet, R., Easteal, M., Lavia, L., Witchel, H. and Odobez, J.-M., 2015. Automated bobbing and phase analysis to measure walking entrainment to music. In: IEEE International Confer- ence on Image Processing (ICIP) 27-30 October 2014 Paris, France.
- Witchel, H., Westling, C., Tee, J., Needham, R., Healy, A. and Chockalignam, N., 2014. A time series feature of variability to detect two types of boredom from motion capture of the head and shoulders. In: ECCE 2014 European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics 1-3 September 2014 Vienna, Austria. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM).
- Lopez-Mendez, A., Westling, C.E.I., Emonet, R., Easteal, M., Lavia, L., Witchel, H.J. and Odobez, J.M., 2014. Automated bobbing and phase analysis to measure walking entrainment to music. 4186-4190.
- Witchel, H.J., Westling, C., Needham, R., Healy, A. and Chockalingam, N., 2013. Mean head and shoulder heights when seated: Subconscious postural cycles during discrete computerised stimuli.
- Westling, C., Barker, L., Healy, A., Needham, R., Witchel, H. and Chockalingam, N., 2013. Spatial Data Correlation: An interactive 3D visualisation tool for correlating the motion capture data streams from difference devices. In: Electronic Visualisation and the Arts (EVA 2013) 29-31 July 2013 London.
- Witchel, H., Lavia, L., Westling, C., Healy, A., Needham, R. and Chockalingam, N., 2013. Using body language indicators for assessing the effects of soundscape quality on individuals. In: AIA-DAGA 2013 Conference on Acoustics 18-21 March 2013 Merano, Italy.
- Westling, C., 2013. Immersion and confusion.
- Witchel, H.J., Healy, A., Needham, R., Westling, C. and Chockalingam, N., 2012. Comparing four technologies for measuring postural micromovements during monitor engagement. 189-192.
- Westling, C., 2017. The Making of Postdigital Experiential Space Punchdrunk Company 2011-2014. PhD Thesis. University of Sussex, School of Media and Cultural Studies.
- Joman Hayajneh, 2024. OVERCOMING CULTURAL BARRIERS IN HEALTH AND WELLBEING USING 3-DIMENSIONAL MEDIA
Profile of Teaching UG
- Ideas, Development & Research
- The Dissertation
- Open Project
- Understanding Media
- Working in the Media Industries
- Fiction: Form and Content
- Graduate Project
Immersion in Punchdrunk, Connect the Dots Symposium, The Hague, 01 Oct 2017 more
Invited speaker at the interdisciplinary symposium “The Craft of Experience Design” in The Hague (organised by iii) on performance art, theatre, exhibition design, media art, game design and LARP (Published and available online).
Interaction Design and the Postdigital Sublime, City University London, 01 Mar 2017 more
Lecture on Interaction Design and the Postdigital Sublime in the HCID series for MA Interaction Design students and staff.
Perspectives on Audiences, King's College London, 01 Nov 2016 more
Lecture on Perspectives on Audiences for MA students on approaches to modelling and researching audiences for interaction design.
Complex Emotions in Interaction Design, IDIAP Research Institute, Martigny, Switzerland, 01 Jun 2016 more
Invited speaker on the role of complex emotions in interface design, and approaches to the coding of social signals in interface design.
Sound in Interaction Design, Edinburgh Napier, 01 Jan 2015 more
Invited speaker on sound in interaction design, based on my work with the Nimbus Group and Punchdrunk
- Crucible (Arts Council England, 01 May 2019). In Progress
- Digital Ghost Hunt - Impact and Engagement (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Feb 2019). In Progress
- Crucible (Connect 3Ts Hospital Redevelopment Public Art Programme, 01 Feb 2019). In Progress
- The Digital Ghost Hunt (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Feb 2018). Completed
- Giddy Brighton (Brighton Festival and Dome, 01 Dec 2015). Completed
- Giddy Brighton (Brighton Museum, 01 Dec 2015). Completed
- Giddy Brighton (Heritage Lottery Fund, 01 Jun 2015). Completed
- The Nimbus (Arts Council England, 01 Dec 2013). Completed
- 0-1 (Arts Council England, 01 Sep 2011). Completed
- ICIDS, Reimagining The Anatomy Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp for Zoom and 2020, 04 Nov 2020, Bournemouth University
- IJCMR, The Digital Ghost Hunt, 29 Jun 2020, Bath Spa University
- AMPS Connections: Exploring Heritage, Architecture, Cities, Art, Media, Reimagining heritage buildings as technological spaces, 29 Jun 2020, Canterbury (online)
- Halfway to the Future 2019, The Technological Gaze, 19 Nov 2019, Nottingham
- ECREA Interpersonal Communication and Social Interaction, Men who are imitated in their movement dynamics during speed dating are generally rated as more attractive: a pilot study, 14 Oct 2019, TIlburg University
- ECREA Interpersonal Communication and Social Interaction, Spelling errors and 'shouting' capitalization additively undermine the trustworthiness of online communication, 14 Oct 2019, University of Tilburg
- Resisting Digital Culture, Modelling Agency, not Agents., 10 May 2019, King's College London
- Life History and Life Writing Research: Critical and Creative approaches, Giddy Brighton: Situated oral histories., 16 Jun 2017, University of Sussex
- Life History and Life Writing Research: Critical and Creative approaches, Giddy Brighton: Situated oral histories, 16 Jun 2017, Univeristy of Sussex
- ICLI 2016, Postdigital Efficiency, 29 Jun 2016, University of Sussex, Falmer
- i3 Participating in Innovation, Innovating in Participation, Community and Experience Design: Emergent behaviours in on-and offline creative communities around Punchdrunk’s immersive theatre, 03 Dec 2015, Paris
- CHIplay 2015, Sublime confusion in immersive performance and games, 04 Oct 2015, UCL, London
- Creative Director, Ideas generation, project design, project management, grant writing. The Nimbus Group, Jamie Wyld, 15 Sep 2011
- Doctoral Supervision: New Supervisors, 27 Jan 2021, Doctoral College certification
- 1st Option Safety training – Safe Management of Productions, 05 Nov 2019
- ACM, Member (2019-2020), https://www.acm.org/
- NAHEMI, Member (2019-), http://nahemi.org/
- Association of Internet Researchers, Member (2018-), https://aoir.org/
- Internet Society, Member (2018-), https://www.internetsociety.org/
- European Association of Cognitive Ergonomics, Member (2013-), https://www.eace.net/
- MeCCSA, Member (2013-), https://www.meccsa.org.uk/