Dr Hanaa Osman
- 01202 961502
- hosman at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic In Tourism and Hospitality
- Dorset House D104, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
My research interests lie in the areas of Consumer Behaviour with a special interest in Service Marketing and Hospitality Management. I have published in premier international journals such as Psychology & Marketing, Annals of Tourism Research, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management and Tourism Management. I adopt qualitative approaches to study the experiences of people consuming services while travelling. I currently focus on the intersection between gender, culture and travel. Some of my PhD students study tourism development in the Middle East, Emotional labour in Hospitality, and Female tourists travel behaviour.
Gender and Tourism
Emotional Intelligence in Hospitality
Commercial Hospitality and Tourists' experiences
Muslim Females in Hospitality
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Sustainable cities and communities
"Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable"
Responsible consumption and production
"Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns"
- Nguyen, Q., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2022. What helps or hinders the emotional intelligence practice? A study of Vietnamese hotel workers. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 34 (2), 534-554.
- Fung, C.P.Y., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2022. Occupational Commitment and Perceived Social Status for Hospitality Educators: A Case Study of Hong Kong. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education, 34 (4), 245-261.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2021. Muslim women travellers. Encyclopedia of Tourism and Marketing.
- Osman, H., Brown, L. and Phung, T.M.T., 2020. The travel motivations and experiences of female Vietnamese solo travellers. Tourist Studies, 20 (2), 248-267.
- Osman, H., D'Acunto, D. and Johns, N., 2019. Home and away: Why do consumers shy away from reporting negative experiences in the peer-to-peer realms? Psychology and Marketing, 36 (12), 1162-1175.
- Brown, L. and Osman, H., 2017. The female tourist experience in Egypt as an Islamic destination. Annals of Tourism Research, 63, 12-22.
- Osman, H., Johns, N. and Lugosi, P., 2014. Commercial hospitality in destination experiences: McDonald's and tourists' consumption of space. Tourism Management, 42, 238-247.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2011. Travellers and McDonald's abroad. Hospitality Review, 13.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A personal narrative of a Muslim woman’s journey in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Review.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A personal narrative of a Muslim woman’s journey in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Review, 13-17.
- Osman, H., Hemmington, N. and Bowie, D., 2009. A transactional approach to customer loyalty in the hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 21, 239-250.
- Osman, H. and Elmohandes, N., 2022. Egyptian women’s perception of western female tourists in Egypt. In: THE INC 2022 22-24 July 2022 Cypress.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2016. Western female tourists in Islamic destinations. In: ATLAS 7-9 September 2016 Canterbury.
- Nguyen, Q., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2016. Emotional Intelligence and hotel employees in Vietnam. In: Council for Hospitality Management Education Conference 4-6 May 2016 Ulster University.
- Fung, C., Ladkin, A. and Osman, H., 2015. An Exploratory Study on the Antecedents of Occupational Commitment among Hospitality Educators in Hong Kong. In: CHME 20-22 May 2015 Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Osman, H., Osman, H., Johns, N. and Lugosi, P., 2014. ‘Fast food restaurants and tourism destination experiences’. In: CHME National Research Conference 20-23 May 2014 University of Derby, Buxton, England, May 2014.
- Osman, H., 2011. The International PhD student journey. In: Council for Hospitality Management Education 20th Annual Research Conference 2011 May 2011 Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, England. Leeds: Council for Hospitality Management Education.
- Osman, H. and Brown, L., 2010. A muslim's woman journey in the UK hospitality industry. In: CHME National Research Conference 5-7 May 2010 University of Surrey, Horsley Towers, Surrey, England. Hospitality Review.
- Osman, H. and Johns, N., 2010. The Role of the Global Fast Food Chains in Tourism: A Qualitative Internet-Based Study. In: 8th Biennial International Qualitative Research Conference 6-8 September 2010 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Johns, N. and Osman, H., 2009. Am I lovin’ it? Tourists and the McDonald’s experience abroad. In: 3rd Advances in Tourism Marketing Conference 6-9 September 2009 Bournemouth University, England. Poole, England: Bournemouth University.
- Osman, H., 1999. A Segmentation Approach to Relationship Marketing in International Hotel Groups. In: CHME Hospitality Research Conference April 1999 School of Management, University of Surrey. , 519-525 Guildford, Surrey, England: University of Surrey.
- Osman, H., Hemmington, N. and Bowie, D., 1998. The role of market segmentation in relationship marketing in international hotel groups. In: EuroCHRIE/IAHMS Conferenc : Competitiveness in the International Hospitality Industry. 1998 Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Clare Fung, 2013. Investigating the occupational commitment of hospitality educators in Hong Kong
- NGUYEN THI THAO QUYNH, 2014. Understanding Emotional Intelligence (EI) among hotel employees during interactions with co-workers and customers in Vietnam
- Faisal Alsubaie. The effect of cultural tightness-Looseness on tourism destination choice for Western Europeans: Evidence from Saudi Arabia
- Bohan Liu. exploring one child generation Chinese females' meaning and intention of travel: From the perspective of culture and gender
Profile of Teaching PG
- Masters dissertation supervision in a number of areas including ethnic restaurants, street food, emotional labour, and and employee motivation.
- Innovation of Hospitality
Profile of Teaching UG
- Global Hospitality- Level 4 BAIHM
- Consumer Experience and Behaviour, Level 5 BAIHM
- Food, Culture and Travel- Level 6 option unit.
- Global Hospitality L4- Consumer Experience and Behaviour L5- Food, Culture and Travel L6
Consumer Behaviour in the digital era, Aosta Vally University, 13 Dec 2021 more
- Social cohesion: Muslim migrant families with adelescents (British Academy, 01 Apr 2023). In Progress
- Perception of western female Tourists in Egypt (Bournemouth Unviersity, 22 Mar 2019). Awarded
- Talent Management in the hotel Industry (QR funds, 08 Nov 2016). In Progress
- CPD income (Hall and Woodhouse Group, 14 Apr 2014). Completed
- Research Lead, Department of People and Organisations
- Interim Deputy Head of Department, Department of People and Organisations
- Independent memeber, Pay progression and `promotion panels
- Unit leader, Food, Culture and travel- Option unit/ level 6
- Unit leader, Global Hospitality- Level 4
- Unit Leader, Unit leader: Consumber Experience and Behaviour- Level 5
- Academic Advisor, Department of Tourism and Hospitality
- Global Engagement Lead for Tourism and Hospitality, Global Engagement
- Study Abroad Academic Co-ordinator, Department of Tourism and Hospitality
- International Journal of Tourism Management, Anonymous peer review, 01 Apr 2014
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Anonymous peer review, 20 Oct 2008
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Bournemouth and Beyond (25 Jun 2016)
- The practical side of teaching Consumer Experience and Behaviour (11 Jul 2015)
- PhD in Hospitality Marketing (Oxford Brookes University, 2001)
- HEA, Fellow (2014-),
- The council for Hospitality Management Education, Member (2008-),
- Institute of Hospitality, Member,
- The American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (CHE), Member,
Social Media Links
External Media and Press
- Experts discuss chanllenges to development of tourism industry, Vientiane Times, 09 Mar 2016. http://www.vientianetimes.org.la/sub-new/Previous_064/VTTimes_PDF.htm
- People Management magazine, European Court backs workplace ban on headscarves and religious symbols, Marianne Calnan, M, 31 May 2016. http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagement/b/weblog/archive/2016/06/01/european-court-backs-workplace-ban-on-headscarves-and-religious-symbols.aspx
- People Managment Magazine, Muslims at Work, Lewis, G, 29 Mar 2016. http://www.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagement/p/paymentgateway.aspx?returnURL=/pm/peoplemanagement/b/weblog/archive/2016/03/30/muslims-britain-s-hidden-talent-pool.aspx&blogid=2&postid=100446