Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
James graduated from Bournemouth University, University College Dublin and Staffordshire University with degrees in film and television production, and specialises in alternative models of film production. He demonstrated his work by shooting, editing and then screening feature films in seventy-two hours as part of major film festivals; ‘Watching & Waiting’ was screened at Galway Film Fleadh (2008) and ‘The Ballad of Des & Mo’ was in the Audience Top Ten at the Melbourne International Film Festival (2010). A third film, 'The Confusion of Tongues', was also completed in Birmingham in 72 hours (2014). In 2012, he completed ‘Saharan Diary', a feature documentary about the desert in Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Libya. He recently produced a feature called 'Isra' which is due for release in late 2021.
James led the curriculum design upon Masters programmes in Raindance and Filmbase (Ireland) in 2011, as well as the BA (Hons) Film programme at Bournemouth University.
He has been a guest contributor to Ted Hope’s blog ‘Hope For Film’ and has completed consultancy and guest lectures for international companies and organisations such as Fremantle Media, Yahoo!, Panasonic, London Film Academy and Xinhua.
- Van Raalte, C., Iwowo, S. and Fair, J., 2021. Creativity in the Covid-19 Crisis: Might the Current Student-Adoption of Pre-visualization Re-Centre the Cruciality of Constructing the Mise en Scène? Journal of Cinema and Media Studies: Teaching Media Dossier.
- Watson, A., Ward, J. and Fair, J., 2021. Staging atmosphere: collective emotional labour on the film set. Social and Cultural Geography, 22 (1), 76-96.
- Fair, J., 2020. Can you see what I see? Differing perspectives between low and micro-budget filmmakers and film development agencies. Studies in Arts and Humanities, 5 (2), 65-79.
- Fair, J., 2013. The 72 Project: using filmmaking to empower networks and foster creative collaboration. In: MeCCSA 7-8 January 2013 Derry.
- Fair, J. and Schoenfeld, C., 2012. New Methodologies for Teaching & Learning in Film. In: Media Education Summit 11-12 September 2012 Bournemouth.
- Fair, J., 2009. Rethinking the Filmmaking Production Models. In: Creative Industries and Creative Communities Conference 11 November 2009 Stoke on Trent.
- Fair, J., 2017. A Different Understanding of Low and Micro-Budget Film Production in the UK. PhD Thesis. Staffordshire University.
- Fair, J., 2006. The Impact of Digital Technology on the Filmmaking Production Process. Master's Thesis. University College Dublin.
- The Confusion of Tongues, 2014. Film. Grand Independent.
- The Light of Day, 2014. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Poison Pen, 2014. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- How To Be Happy, 2013. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Keys To The City, 2012. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Saharan Diary, 2012. Film. Solihull Film Festival: Grand Independent.
- The Ballad of Des & Mo, 2010. Film. Melbourne International Film Festival: Grand Independent.
- Watching & Waiting, 2008. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Hello Camera.
- Nightshift, 2004. TV. Channel Four: Channel Four/ Maverick TV.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit Leader - Film Language 1, Graduate Project Development
- University for the Creative Arts, External Examiner (2018-)
- TARUC/ Coventry University, External Examiner (2018-2022)
- Exeter/ London Film School, External Examiner (2018-)
- Edge Hill University, External Examiner (2016-2019)
- MeCCSA, The 72 Project: using filmmaking to empower networks and foster creative collaboration, 07 Jan 2013, Derry
- Media Education Summit, New Methodologies for Teaching & Learning in Film, 11 Sep 2012, Bournemouth
- Creative Industries and Creative Communities Conference, Rethinking the Filmmaking Production Models, 11 Nov 2009, Stoke on Trent
- FremantleMedia Writers summit, A presentation. FremantleMedia
- Leaders of Learning, 01 Jun 2020, Certificate of Achievement in Leaders of Learning
- Carbon Literacy, 01 Feb 2017, Certificate 00004492/v1.5
- Safe Management of Productions (PSP Approved), 06 Sep 2016, Production Safety Passport (valid until Sept 2021)
- PhD in Film Production (Staffordshire University, 2017)
- PGCE in Higher & Professional Education (Staffordshire University, 2009)
- MA in Film Studies (University College Dublin, 2006)
- BA (Hons) in Television & Video Production (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre for Excellence in Learning, 2018)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre of Excellence in Learning, 2017)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre Excellence in Learning, 2016)
- Excellence in Distance Learning (Staffordshire University Students' Union, 2012)
- Podium Award (Bronze) (HEFCE, 2012)
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2020-),
- Creative Skillset, Member (2014-), https://app.hiive.co.uk/
- MECCSA, Member (2013-),
- Speakers for Schools, Member (2012-), http://www.speakers4schools.org/speakers/james-fair/
- NAHEMI (National Association for Higher Education in the Moving Image), Member,
Social Media Links
- LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesfair1
External Media and Press
- 72 Hours Later, Film Ireland, 04 Jul 2011. https://www.jamesfair.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Film-Ireland.pdf
- After a mere 72 hours, that's a wrap, Sydney Morning Herald, 08 Aug 2010. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/after-a-mere-72-hours-thats-a-wrap-20100807-11pgm.html
- Peter O'Toole's daughter shoots Melbourne film in three days, The Age, 06 Aug 2010. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/peter-otooles-daughter-shoots-melbourne-film-in-three-days-20100805-11ks8.html
- Film-making mayhem set to hit Melbourne, The Age, 11 Jul 2010. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/filmmaking-mayhem-set-to-hit-melbourne-20100710-104wq.html
- BBC Midlands Today, About the filming of the 72 Project in Birmingham.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLJ0bvhUbNHwi5pbkspwLeEARCMdaiP2W5&v=BU7oP-XngfM