- 01202 961638
- jfair at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in TV & Film Production
- Weymouth House W205, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
James began writing film and book reviews for his local newspaper as a teenager and, by the age of 22, had directed and produced a series of documentaries about nightshift workers for Channel Four. He graduated from Bournemouth University and University College Dublin with degrees in film and television production, and specialises in alternative models of film production.
He demonstrated his work by shooting, editing and then screening feature films in seventy-two hours as part of major film festivals; ‘Watching & Waiting’ was screened at Galway Film Fleadh (2008) and ‘The Ballad of Des & Mo’ was in the Audience Top Ten at the Melbourne International Film Festival (2010). In 2012, he completed ‘Saharan Diary‘, a feature documentary about the desert in Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Libya. He recently completed another feature project in 72 hours called 'The Confusion of Tongues' in Birmingham. He has been a guest contributor to Ted Hope’s blog ‘Hope For Film’ and has completed consultancy for international companies such as Fremantle Media and Panasonic.
- Watson, A., Ward, J. and Fair, J., 2018. Staging atmosphere: collective emotional labour on the film set. Social and Cultural Geography.
- Fair, J., 2013. The 72 Project: using filmmaking to empower networks and foster creative collaboration. In: MeCCSA 7-8 January 2013 Derry.
- Fair, J. and Schoenfeld, C., 2012. New Methodologies for Teaching & Learning in Film. In: Media Education Summit 11-12 September 2012 Bournemouth.
- Fair, J., 2009. Rethinking the Filmmaking Production Models. In: Creative Industries and Creative Communities Conference 11 November 2009 Stoke on Trent.
- Fair, J., 2017. A Different Understanding of Low and Micro-Budget Film Production in the UK. PhD Thesis. Staffordshire University.
- Fair, J., 2006. The Impact of Digital Technology on the Filmmaking Production Process. Master's Thesis. University College Dublin.
- The Confusion of Tongues, 2014. Film. Grand Independent.
- The Light of Day, 2014. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Poison Pen, 2014. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- How To Be Happy, 2013. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Keys To The City, 2012. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Filmbase Presents.
- Saharan Diary, 2012. Film. Solihull Film Festival: Grand Independent.
- The Ballad of Des & Mo, 2010. Film. Melbourne International Film Festival: Grand Independent.
- Watching & Waiting, 2008. Film. Galway Film Fleadh: Hello Camera.
- Nightshift, 2004. TV. Channel Four: Channel Four/ Maverick TV.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Unit Leader - Film Language 1, Entrepreneurship for Creative Industries, Creative Collaboration, Graduate Project
- Programme Leader - BA (Hons) Film
- University for the Creative Arts, External Examiner (2018-)
- TARUC/ Coventry University, External Examiner (2018-2022)
- Edge Hill University, External Examiner (2016-2020)
- MeCCSA, The 72 Project: using filmmaking to empower networks and foster creative collaboration, 07 Jan 2013, Derry
- Media Education Summit, New Methodologies for Teaching & Learning in Film, 11 Sep 2012, Bournemouth
- Creative Industries and Creative Communities Conference, Rethinking the Filmmaking Production Models, 11 Nov 2009, Stoke on Trent
- FremantleMedia Writers summit, A presentation. FremantleMedia
- Carbon Literacy, 01 Feb 2017, Certificate 00004492/v1.5
- Safe Management of Productions (PSP Approved), 06 Sep 2016, Production Safety Passport (valid until Sept 2021)
- MA in Film Studies (University College Dublin, 2006)
- PGCE in Higher & Professional Education (Staffordshire University, 2009)
- BA (Hons) in Television & Video Production (Bournemouth University, 2002)
- PhD in Film Production (Staffordshire University, 2017)
- Podium Award (Bronze) (HEFCE, 2012)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre Excellence in Learning, 2016)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre of Excellence in Learning, 2017)
- Excellence in Distance Learning (Staffordshire University Students' Union, 2012)
- Education for Sustainable Development (Centre for Excellence in Learning, 2018)
- Creative Skillset, Member (2014-), https://app.hiive.co.uk/
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2009-),
- MECCSA, Member (2013-),
- Speakers for Schools, Member (2012-), http://www.speakers4schools.org/speakers/james-fair/
External Media and Press
- Film-making mayhem set to hit Melbourne, The Age, 11 Jul 2010. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/filmmaking-mayhem-set-to-hit-melbourne-20100710-104wq.html
- Peter O'Toole's daughter shoots Melbourne film in three days, The Age, 06 Aug 2010. http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/peter-otooles-daughter-shoots-melbourne-film-in-three-days-20100805-11ks8.html
- After a mere 72 hours, that's a wrap, Sydney Morning Herald, 08 Aug 2010. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/after-a-mere-72-hours-thats-a-wrap-20100807-11pgm.html
- 72 Hours Later, Film Ireland, 04 Jul 2011. http://www.filmmasters.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/72-Hours-James-Fair.pdf
- BBC Midlands Today, About the filming of the 72 Project in Birmingham.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLJ0bvhUbNHwi5pbkspwLeEARCMdaiP2W5&v=BU7oP-XngfM