Dr Samantha Iwowo
- 01202 965534
- siwowo at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Directing Drama for Film and Television
- Weymouth House W210, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Back to top
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
- Iwowo, S., Van Raalte, C. and Fair, J., 2021. Creativity in the COVID-19 Crisis: Might the Current Student Adoption of Pre-Visualization Re-Center the Cruciality of Constructing the Mise-en-Scène? Journal of Cinema and Media Studies: Teaching Media Dossier., Summer 2021.
- Iwowo, S., 2020. The Problematic Mise en Scène of Neo-Nollywood. Communication Cultures in Africa, Winchester University Press.
- Till you're 16, 2018. TV. Theatron Media; Native Media.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 1), 2016. Film. Nigeria: Kobo Productions and Numero Uno Artistry.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 2), 2016. Film. Nigeria: Kobo Productions and Numero Uno Artistry.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 3), 2016. Film. Nigeria: Kobo Productions & Numero Uno Artistry.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 4), 2016. Film. Nigeria: Kobo Productions and Numero Uno Artistry.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 5), 2016. Film.
- R.U.N.S (Season 1, Episode 6), 2016. Film. Nigeria: Kobo Productions and Numero Uno Artistry.
- Price of Spice, 2016. Film. Canada: Theatron Media, Canada. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4847346/.
- Oloibiri, 2015. Film. U.S.A., Nigeria and Canada.: U.S: Greyhouse Films; Nigeria: Rightangle Productions; Canada: Theatron Media Inc. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4452274/.
- After the 'I Dos' (2015), 2015. Film. South Africa: MNet, Multichoice. Available from: https://africamagic.dstv.com/news/blockbuster-festival-after-the-i-dos.
- Wind Chasers, 2015. TV. Nigeria: DStv, South Afria; Multi-choice Nigeria.
- Global-Hand-Washing-Day Campaign, 2015. Other. Nigeria: Nigeria: PZ Cussons. Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ih44CH4dE.
- Tinsel [drama series]. Screenwriter of 11 Episodes: 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203, 1227, 1232, 1240, 1266, 1281., 2014. TV. Africa: DSTv South Africa. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2389428/companycredits?ref_=ttfc_ql_4.
- Time Knocks, 2014. TV. DStv, Africa.: South Africa: DStv; Nigeria: African Magic Original Films, Multi-Choice.
- Tinsel, 2014. TV. South Africa: M-Net Cable Network; Nigeria: Multi-Choice. Available from: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2389428/.
- Just a Maid, 2014. TV. South Africa: M-Net; Nigeria: African Magic Original Films, Multi-Choice.: DStv.
- One of Several, 2014. Film. Canada: Theatron Media Inc. Available from: https://filmfreeway.com/188656.
- Ucheyamere Chimdiebube Nkwam-Uwaoma, 2024. Horror Film in Nollywood: An Evaluation of Women Portrayal and Participation (2000-2022), (In progress)
- Francis Adeyinka Thomas, 2025. Yoruba Neo-Nollywood Film Producing: Challenges and Prospects
Story Structure and Motifs, Lagos, Nigeria, 22 Apr 2022 more
Albantsho, Africa, a hub of young African visual creatives, by emerging filmmakers, in collaboration with MultiChoice Africa, Zuri Media, Writers Guild of Nigeria
Screenwriting in Africa: Stories, Tools & Future, Lagos, Nigeria, 02 Apr 2022 more
Albantsho, Africa; a Hub of young African visual creatives, by emerging filmmakers
Keynote: “Creativity in the New Workplace”., Nigeria, 19 Mar 2022 more
“African Cinema, past, present & imagined futures", London South Bank University, London., 01 Jan 2022 more
Guest Speaker: Drew University (American Students) Study Abroad Programme in London
A Postcolonial Review of African Apocalypse, Bristol, UK, 01 Jan 2022 more
University of Bristol, Faculty of Arts: Screening event about African Apocalypse, a new film about Africa’s colonial past, co-organised with Migration Mobilities Bristol, the Perivoli Africa Research Centre and Afrika Eye
Birkbeck, University of London, 25 Nov 2019 more
I was invited to lecture to Students of the MA Screenwriting Programme, on the topic "Writing African Stories for Transnational Audiences", as part of its unit titled, History and Theory of Screenwriting. My lecture was with core reference to my screenplay, MUGABE (forthcoming), which deals with the leadership ambivalence of Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe’s former President.
"Nollywood as a 'World' Cinema", University of Bristol, 14 Nov 2019 more
Guest-lecture at the University of Bristol, to Year-3 students of the Department of Film and Television. As part of the unit titled Contemporary World Cinema, I lectured on the topic "Nollywood as a 'World' Cinema, With Reference to Kemi Adetiba's KING OF BOYS (2018)".
The Poetics of Mise en Scène, Nigeria, 08 Nov 2019 more
Guest-lectured at the Multichoice Talent Factory, West Africa, to Diploma students of film-production.
Nollywood: From Whence We Came, London Southbank University, 01 Dec 2017 more
Guest-Lecture on the History of Nollywood
Production Patterns of Neo-Nollywood, University College London, 15 Mar 2017 more
Guest Lecture on Neo-Nollywood Cinema, in the Department of African Studies, University College London
- University of York, External Examiner (2020-2023)
- Media Practice and Education, Open peer review, 01 Jan 2021
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Screening Discussion (14 Oct 2020)
- Roundtable (06 Jan 2020)
- Presentation (01 Jul 2019-05 Jul 2019)
- ‘Nollywood Audiences and Human-Rights Films. Against the Backdrop of the Fela'. Presentation at the seminar, "The Past and Future of Rights Cinema Day", Birckbeck Institute of Moving Images (BIMI) (16 Mar 2019)
- ArtoP: The Visual Articulations of Politics in Nigeria (04 Mar 2019-06 Mar 2019)
- A Pre-Screening Introduction of RAGE (1999), at the Afrika Film Festival, Bristol; 2017 (10 Nov 2017)
- The Past and Future of Rights Cinema, by Birkbeck Institute for the Moving Image
- Decolonising African Cinema: A History, 2021, Moderated the Session titled, “Continuity and Change”, involving the discussants, Balufu Bakupa Kanyinda, Boukary Sawadogo, 21 Oct 2021, United Arab Emirate
- Fusion Learning Conference: Innovation and Excellence in the Pandemic, “Allyship and Decolonisation of Curriculum”., 28 Jun 2021, Bournemouth
- Doing Diversity Better Conference, ‘Decolonising the Curricula: A Preface’, 22 Apr 2021, UK
- Colonial Film Archives: Interrogations and Interventions, Subtext of Colonialism in Nigeria, 2020: A Post-Mortem of the #EndSARS Lekki Toll-Gate Massacre, 19 Mar 2021, UK
- Women Academic Conference., 'Decolonising the Curricula: A Preface’,, 01 Jan 2021, United Kingdom
- Social Impact Symposium, "Scripting and Filming Paint Brush – Exploring the Identity of Black, Teenage and Female in a Nigerian Diaspora Community of Peckham in London”, In the panel Fiction Forms and Impact., 01 Jan 2021, Germany
- 7th Annual Conference of the Association of Communication Scholars & Professionals of Nigeria (ACSPN), in Partnership with UNESCO, ‘Reading Apaye, as Emem-isong’s Construction of Nigerian Female Identity in Media…’, 02 Sep 2020, Virtual
- CCARHT Symposium: The Several ‘Rs’ of Trafficking, ‘Tackling the Othering of Nigerian Socio-Political Cinema’., 01 Jan 2019, Cambridge, UK
- Researching Africa Day, Conference; University of Oxford, 'Neo-Nollywood: Exploring the Cinema Movement through Tripartite Lenses', 04 Mar 2017, Oxford
- ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1482-8269
External Media and Press
- iREP docu-film fiesta in Lagos, poetry reading in Port Harcourt mark a month of culture feast, Anote Art Hub, 01 Jan 2022. https://anotearthub.com/2022/03/15/iwowo-dede-headline-irep-docu-film-fest-in-lagos-poetry-reading-in-port-harcourt/
- ‘Samantha Iwowo: The Quintessential Filmmaker’. Interview by Vanessa Obioha, Thisday Newspapers, 01 Nov 2020. https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/11/01/samantha-iwowo-the-quintessential-filmmaker-and-director/
- New Year, new conversations around Nollywood, By Gregory Austin Nwakunor, The Guardian, 01 Jan 2020. https://guardian.ng/art/new-year-new-conversations-around-nollywood/
- 'Interview–Samantha Iwowo, Scriptwriter of Oloibiri (2016)’ - Interview by Nduka Otiono, Journal of African Cinemas 9.1, pp 99-106., 04 Jan 2017. https://doi.org/10.1386/jac.9.1.99_7
- ‘Iwowo: “Oloibiri” Provoked Formal Apology from Gowon to the People of the Niger-Delta’. Interview by, Anote Ajeluoro, Guardian Newspapers, 24 Dec 2016. https://guardian.ng/art/iwowo-oloibiri-provoked-formal-apology-from-gowon-to-people-of-the-niger-delta/
- BBC Radio, Solent, UK., ‘Bournemouth University Lecturer, Dr. Samantha Iwowo, on Hattie McDaniel - The First African American to Win an Oscar’., Martin, K, 29 Feb 2020. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0856kbq