Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
My background encompasses over 20 years of experience as a Designer and a design Lecturer. In my knowledge of Design, I believe everything including materials; construction, shape and function alter with time and can be improved to suit the current environment. Looking at various things in everyday life, I take keen interest in the way things are constructed, especially things which involve design and I often see ideas for improvements while analysing their current design. BU course has various modules in Design which include a variety of skills such as presenting work, modelling in small and large scale and Computer Modelling as well as analysing my ideas and adjusting them to suit teaching task and a market of potential consultancy, research task, taking into account elements of function, style, cost and construction.
My research knowledge and cross-disciplinary collaboration is evident in my current work on several design research project which includes an ongoing and new research related to my completed Ph.D... In addition, I have recently entered into collaboration with Professor Peter Thomas and Helen Allen of HSS-BUCRU and we have already written one proposal to be submitted to the Notional Institute for Health Research-NHS. Also, I have outlined two papers that are to be written on our mutual research. Similar research was funded (£375.000) by the NIHR and conducted by Kings.
University in London in 2010, and there’s high demand by the Government for this research according to the Panels I had meeting with.
My PG Cert in Education journey which started October 2014 birthed a continuous progress in my self-reflection approach regarding academic practice. Being a design lecturer is my dream job, coupled with my love for design research with my passion for teaching; I believe I will have a long and successful career at Bournemouth University. I have been carrying out research in areas including Design Interaction, Industrial Design Studies, Contextual Design, and Product Design to enhance my teaching skills since arriving at BU. As a researcher, lecturer, designer, I endeavour to
improve the people's quality of life and to make the world a better place.
The activities I am constantly engaged in include assessing needs, providing Design solutions, and solving Design problems through research and knowledge sharing. I am passionate about teaching students from various cultural backgrounds in the field of Design to help them develop their Design knowledge and skills. During the past year 2016, I have been involved in a number of outside professional activities including being a Co-Chair of the British HCI 2016 Conference 11 – 15th July 2016, at BU. I solicited, reviewed, selected the Work-in-Progress papers for this conference,
and was involved in the organization and execution of three conferences. I worked with Dr Barbra Rita from department of computer Science- University digli studi Milano (Italy), Dr Shamal Faily and Dr Huseyin Dogan from BU.
I understand that teaching requires being well-versed and experienced in using one's scholarly knowledge to help students to understand Design model, concept ideas and tools in the field of design. I have taught students of varying ages and abilities in one-on-one and small groups in theatre and design studio, and I demonstrate exceptional teaching ability, oral presentation, care attitude, patience, and an interest in creative design activities which is required to aid learning. Prior to coming to Bournemouth University, as a student, I was invited to teach at the design department at
Tripoli University in 1994. Due to my scholarly and teaching competence, I was subsequently invited to teach the course for six years after completing my (BA) as fellow. I taught a class as small as 40 students and as large as 55 students, and supervised 4 teaching assistants, and this extremely valuable experience one that solidified my desire to reach the highest level and become a professor.more
My personal research interests lie in the field of healthcare setting and hospital interior design. I am currently investigating and identifying the interior design and décor features in hospital rooms for my publication. This will enhance hospital setting for patient’s satisfaction. Using newly methodology, the approach involves making use of CAD software for data collection. My future research plans are to build on the foundations of my Ph.D. to future develop design model, concept ideas and tools in the field of hospital setting and design.
- Gashoot, M., Eve, B. and Mohamed, T., 2021. Implementing Technology for Teaching: The Use of a Mobile/Tablet Approach for Enhancing Students’ Learning (Design Interaction) Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL). Journal of Education.
- Fatihaddin, D., Eves, B.O.B. and Gashoot, M., 2018. Implementing islamic patterns in interior design to enhance the spiritual aesthetic. WIT Transactions on the Built Environment, 177, 137-147.
- Gashoot, M., 2012. Preferred single occupancy interior design and decor features in a Libyan hospital. World Health Design.
- Fatihaddin, D., Eves, W. and Gashoot, M., 2017. Investigating A Spiritual Aesthetic within Islamic Patterns in the Interior Design of Hotel Rooms. In: ArchTheo '17 Theory and History of Architecture Conference 3-4 November 2017 DAKAM Institute, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Gashoot, M., 2013. Well-being 2013. In: Well-being 2013 Conference(Speaker) at Birmingham Institute of Art & Design, Birmingham City University 2013 The UK-England, Birmingham City University. Paper.
- Gashoot, M., 2012. Preferred single occupancy interior design and décor features in hospitals. In: Athens Institute for Education and Research 3rd Annual International Conference on Visual and Performing Arts; Athens, Greece on 4-7 June 2012 (verbal presentation). 4-7 June 2012 Athens, Greece on 4-7 June 2012 (verbal presentation)..
- Gashoot, M., 2012. A Contribution to the Interior Design and Décor Features in Single Occupancy Hospital Room in Libya’. In: PhD/Open Research Seminar June 2012 Bournemouth University-School of health and social care.
- Gashoot, M.M., 2012. Healing environment: a contribution to the interior design and decor features in single occupancy hospital rooms in Libya. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, School of Health and Social Care.
- Doaa Abdul-Malik:, 2020. The Role of Interior Design in Guest Accommodation for Religious Tourism in the Central Area of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Fitting out Place and Space
- Design Interaction
Profile of Teaching UG
- Design theory and concept
- Defining and applying creativity to the concept of interior design
- Supervising dissertations
- Industrial Design Studies/Level H
- Contextual Design
- Industrial design Project 1
- Industrial Design Studies
- Supervising dissertations for the Industrial design at BA Level 2017/2018
- Supervising dissertations for the Industrial design at BA Level 2019/2020
- Industrial Design Project 3
- Annual International Conference on Humanities & Arts in a Global World, 3-6 January 2015, Healing Environment: The Environmental Impact of Hospital Room’s Interior Design on Patients in Hospital, 03 Jan 2015, Athens, Greece
- Senior Fellow of the High Education Academy, 01 Jan 2020, Senior Fellow of the High Education Academy
- BU Certificate in Programme Leadership, 01 Jan 2020, BU Certificate in Programme Leadership
- Certificate for Doctoral Supervision, 01 Jan 2019, Certificate for Doctoral Supervision
- Certificate for New PhD supervison, 01 Oct 2014, Certificate
- Certificate for Doctoral Supervision in Certificate for Doctoral Supervision (Bournemouth University, 2019)
- PGCE in Education Practice (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- PGCE in Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Bournemouth University, 2016)
- Associate Fellow in Higher Education Academy (2015)
- PGCE in Certificate for Doctoral Supervision (2015)
- Certificate in Certificate in DSE Training & Assessment (Bournemouth University, 2014)
- PhD in Healing Environment (School of Health and Social Care, Bournemouth University, 2013)
- Certificate in Introduction to teaching Certificate (Bournemouth University, 2012)
- MA in Interior Design ( Workplace Design) (The School of Design, Computing & Engineering, Bournemouth University, 2004)
- Certificate in Certificate of Interior Architecture Design and (2002)
- BA (Hons) in Art and Interior Design (The school of Design & Media, department of interior design, Tripoli University, 1994)
- Higher Diploma for teaching art & interior design in Art and Interior Design (Aben – Mandour College, 1991)
- Second highest grade in Education (Tripoli University, 1995)
- Second prize for winning the First place a graduation project (Tripoli University, 1991)
- RIBA Affiliate Membership, Member (2018-),
- Human Computer Interaction (HCI) research group at Bournemouth UK, Member (2016-),
- Athens Institute for Education and Research, organising conferences (2012-),
- Well-being group at Birmingham University in the UK, Member (2012-),