- 01202 961324
- rgordon at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Head of BU Disaster Management Centre
- Dorset House D236, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Richard Gordon has been Director of Bournemouth University Disaster Management Centre (BUDMC) since May 2005.
Through BUDMC Richard provides world class disaster management research, education, and technical expertise and training to government ministries, national security forces, media, industry, emergency services and non-governmental organisations.
Richard’s work spans the full spectrum of disaster management, is delivered both in the UK and overseas, and fuses UK best practice with global experience and innovation.
Richard is currently focused upon the Middle East, West Africa, South and East Asia, Eastern Europe and South America. He regularly delivers executive disaster management seminars to senior government ministers and their representatives including key military appointments and overseas delegations.
Working closely with Professor John Fletcher and Dr Yeganeh Morakabati of Bournemouth University, Richard has pioneered new research and education into the integration of travel and tourism with disaster management...
Richard has also successfully developed two unique MSc qualifications:
• MSc in Disaster Management
• MSc in Crisis, Disaster and Cyber Security.
Both MSc qualifications are delivered internationally via taught in-country Continuous Professional Development (CPD) courses supported by attractive online e-learning materials and seminars.
In 1997 Richard was awarded an MBE for his work in the development of a UK capability in information projection during crises.more
- Bang, H.N., Miles, L.S. and Gordon, R.D., 2020. Challenges in managing technological disasters in Cameroon: Case study of Cameroon's worst train Crash—the Eséka train disaster. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 44.
- Bang, H.N., Miles, L.S. and Gordon, R.D., 2019. Disaster Risk Reduction in Cameroon: Are Contemporary Disaster Management Frameworks Accommodating the Sendai Framework Agenda 2030? International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, 10 (4), 462-477.
- Bang, H., Miles, L. and Gordon, R., 2019. Hurricane Occurrence and Seasonal Activity: An Analysis of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season. American Journal of Climate Change.
- Bang, H., Miles, L. and Gordon, R., 2019. Evaluating local vulnerability and organisational resilience to frequent flooding in Africa: the case of Northern Cameroon. Foresight, 21 (2), 266-284.
- Bang, H., Miles, L. and Gordon, R., 2018. Enhancing local livelihoods resilience and food security in the face of frequent flooding in Africa: A disaster management perspective. Journal of African Studies and Development, 10 (7), 85-100.
- Miles, L., Gordon, R. and Bang, H., 2018. Blaming Active Volcanoes or Active Volcanic Blame? Volcanic Crisis Communication and Blame Management in the Cameroon. , 395-409.
- Bang, H., Miles, L. and Gordon, R., 2017. Local Vulnerability and Organisational Resilience to Repeated Flooding in Africa: the Case of Northern Cameroon. Global Environmental Change.
- Bang, H., Miles, L. and Gordon, R., 2017. The Irony of Flood Risks in African Dryland Environments: Human Security in North Cameroon. World Journal of Engineering and Technology, 5, 109+-121.
- Miles, L., Gordon, R. and Bang, H., 2017. Blaming Active Volcanoes or Active Volcanic Blame? Volcanic Crisis Communication and Blame Management in the Cameroon. In: Fearnley,, C., Bird, D., Jolly, G., Haynes, K. and McGuire, B., eds. Observing the Volcano World, Volcanic Crisis Communication. Springer.
- Gordon, R., 2012. Capitalising on Travel and Tourism in Preparing for Trouble 978-0-8232-5018-9. In: Cahill, K.M., ed. More with Less; Disasters in an era of diminishing resources. New York: Fordham University Press, 175-197.
National Disaster Management Planning in Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria, 10 Feb 2003 more
Lecture and Discussion presented to Retired Air Vice Marshall Audu Bida, Director General National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). Purpose of lecture and executive discussion was to present BUDMC's ability to assist NEMA in the development of a national plan for Nigeria and to win a contract lasting over six years delivering professional practice training and consultancy to the Nigerian Emergency Management Agency, Police, Fire Service, Military and other key stakeholders.
- United Kingdom Alliance for Disaster Reduction (UKADR) Conference, A Challenge in African Disaster Management - an Analysis of the October 2016 Eséka Train Accident in Cameroon, 27 Apr 2018, University of Bristol
- European International Studies Association (EISA), A Glass of Crisis Management with a Foreign Policy Twist?: Entrepreneurial Resilience in the Cameroon, 07 Jun 2017, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
- International Diploma in Humanitarian Affairs, Crises, Disasters and Humanitarian Operations, 05 Jun 2017, Fordham University, New York
- International Humanitarian Assistance Conference - Barcelona, Integrating Disaster Management Agendas within Humanitarian Assistance Programmes, 10 Mar 2014, Barcelona
- Disaster Management for Fire and Rescue Service, Saudi Arabia, Integrating the Fire and Rescue Service into wider Emergency Management Systems, 16 Feb 2014, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,
- National Disaster Management Conference for Nepal, International Best Practice and Strategies for Disaster Management in Nepal, 03 Feb 2014, British Gurkhas Nepal, Kathmandu
- National Disaster Managment Conference for Ghana, International Best Practice and Strategies for National Development in Disaster Management, 13 Jan 2014, Accra, Ghana
- South Asia Regional Conference in Disaster Management, International Best Practices and Strategies for Regional and National Development in Disaster Management, 27 Oct 2008, Galadari Hotel, Sri Lanka
- Executive Conference for FCO Governors and Staff in the Caribbean, Developing Governors and Deputy Governors in Disaster Management for the Overseas Territories, 09 Jun 2008, Bournemouth University
- National Disaster Management for Sri Lanka, Developing Civil Military Cooperation and Coordination in Disaster Management, 10 Mar 2008, Galadari Hotel, Colombo
- International Humanitarian Affairs, Integrating national disaster management agendas within international humanitarian procedures, 12 Nov 2007, Nairobi, Kenya
- National Disaster Management Conference for Nigeria, Building National and State Resilience in Nigeria, 29 Oct 2007, CSC Jaji, Abuja
- Executive Conference for National Leadership in Nigeria, Developing National Leadership in Disaster Management in Nigeria (Aspirations, Assurances and Actions), 18 Jun 2007, London Hilton
- FCO Montserrat - Disaster Management for Governors and Deputy Governors, Developing an Understanding of Disater Management Responisbilities for UK Governors and Deputy Governors, 21 May 2007, Bournemouth University
- Regional Disaster Management for the Balkans, Strategies and Simulations for Improved Coordination in Disaster Management, 12 Mar 2007, Pula, Croatia
- 1st National Disaster Management Conference for Sri Lanka, Building Back Better: Lessons from the Tsunami for Sri Lanka, 27 Nov 2006, Galadari Hotel, Colombo
- Training Needs Assessment for Sri Lanka Disaster Management Post Tsunami, Top Level Government Consultations. British High Commission, Sri Lanka and newly formed Sri Lankan Disaster Management Agency, Sri Lanka Disaster Management Agency, 03 Jul 2006
- MBE (UK, 1997)
- Institute of Civil Protection and Emergency Management (ICPEM), Fellow (2005-), http://www.theicpem.net/