Dr Reena Vijayakumaran
- rvijayakumaran at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Behavioural Psychology and Nutrition
- Bournemouth Gateway Building BGB504, St Pauls Lane, Bournemouth, BH8 8GP
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a registered nutritionist (Public Health) with the Association of Nutrition (AfN). I gained my qualification in Nutrition & Community Health and completed both my MSc. and PhD. in Food Management at the University of Surrey with a scholarship. My PhD. research was focused on hospital food consumption.
In 2013, I joined the Universiti Sains Malaysia as a lecturer in Nutrition & Dietetics, where I taught various courses related to nutrition and dietetics at undergraduate level. I joined the Nutrition team at Bournemouth University in 2019. Currently, I am a senior lecturer, joint leading the BSc. Nutrition. I teach both the BSc. Nutrition and MSc. Nutrition & Behaviour courses.
I am passionate about research focusing on eating behaviour. This included aspects such as food choices and motives, eating disorders and psychology of eating. Eating behaviour particularly focusing on ethnic minorities is my interest. I am also exploring aspects such as nutrition among older adults, particularly in relation to sarcopenia...
My current research focuses on understanding eating behaviour among South East Asians in the UK, India & Malaysia as an impact of lockdown and COVID-19. I am also involved in sarcopenia research in Malaysia, fall prevention among older adults in the UK and Food Insecurity among Vegan/Vegetarian older adults.more
- Vijayakumaran, R.K., Daly, R.M. and Tan, V.P.S., 2023. “We want more”: perspectives of sarcopenic older women on the feasibility of high-intensity progressive resistance exercises and a whey-protein nutrition intervention. Frontiers in Nutrition, 10.
- Vijayakumaran, R.K. and Nur Amalina, S., 2018. Influences of nutrition information on fast food consumption among undergraduates. Food Research, 2 (3), 228-233.
- Vijayakumaran, R., Abdul Razak, S. and Aminuddin, N.F., 2018. Patient Satisfaction With Hospital Foodservice and its Impact on Plate Waste in Public Hospitals in East Malaysia. Hospital Practices and Research, 3 (3), 90-97.
- Vijayakumaran, R., Eves, A. and Margaret, L., 2018. Understanding Patients’ Meal Experiences through Staff’s Role: Study on Malaysian Public Hospitals. Hospital Practices and Research, 3 (2), 50.
- Vijayakumaran, R., Eves, A. and Lumbers, M., 2016. Patients Emotions during Meal Experience: Understanding through Critical Incident Technique. International Journal of Hospital Research, 5 (4), 113-121.
- Thurston, J. and Polkinghorne, M., 2022. Students as Researchers. In: Fusion Learning Conference - Innovation and Excellence in the Pandemic 28 June-29 July 2021 Bournemouth University: UK. Poole, UK: Bournemouth University.
- Vijayakumaran, R., Eves, A. and Lumbers, M., 2014. The Relationship between Emotions during Hospitalisation and Patients’ Eating Behaviour. In: 2014 3rd International Conference on Nutrition and Food Sciences 18-20 June 2014 Copenhagen, Demark.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Nutrition & Brain Function Across Lifespan
- Developing Professional Practice
Profile of Teaching UG
- Principles of Food & Nutrition
- Asian Conference on Kinesiology, Highlighted Symposium - Understanding and perception of intervention for sarcopenia and fall prevention, 19 Aug 2021, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Nutrition Society, Fellow (2023-),
- Advance HE fellowship (HEA), Fellow (2020-),
- Association for Nutrition, Member (2020-),