Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Joanna Thurston joined Bournemouth University in 2009, having started her academic teaching career at the University of Bath in 2007. Prior to this, Joanna was a successful Sports Rehabilitator working in the field of musculoskeletal performance enhancement, across the domains of elite sport and film.
Joanna has a strong teaching portfolio both in the Department of Sport and Physical Activity, where she established the successful Academy of Performance Coaching, and more recently in the Department of Rehabilitation and Sport Science, where she wrote and was Programme Lead for BU's Society of Sports Therapists accredited, BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy programme.
During her time at BU Joanna has been nominated for and received a number of awards for her innovative approaches to learning and was one of only 6 academic staff to be named as a BU Learning and Teaching Fellow in 2014.
Joanna's PhD research was an exploration of the experience of a diagnosis of premenopausal osteoporosis for a young, active female... She is currently working on a number of research publications in this area, as well as qualitative work in the fields of autism spectrum disorder, obesity and pedagogy.more
‘My Bones Won’t Break Me': A reflective topical autobiography exploring the experience of living with premenopausal osteoporosis.
- Thurston, J., Oliver, L., Cooper, K. and Podee, M., 2020. From ‘I’ to ‘We’: A Collaborative Study Group Approach to Narrative Research. The Qualitative Report.
- Thurston, J., 2020. Opening a Door to a Private World: Using Auto/biographical Methodology to Explore Health Experience. SAGE Methods Cases.
- Jones, K., Thurston, J. and Oliver, L., 2019. Interview: Kip Jones talks about Biography, Auto-biography, and Creativity. Sage Publications MethodSpace. Available from: https://www.methodspace.com/interview-kip-jones-talks-about-biography-auto-biography-and-creativity/.
- Cooper, K., Oliver, L., Podee, M. and Thurston, J., 2018. The Personal Stories of a Methodology Study Group: An independent learning and support mechanism for postgrads. Method Space. Available from: https://www.methodspace.com/the-personal-stories-of-a-methodology-study-group/.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Foundations of Sports Therapy
- Assessment of Sports Injuries 1
- Early Career Professionalism
- Exercise Prescription in Sports Therapy
- Soft Tissue and Therapeutic Modalities
- Assessment of Sports Injuries 1
- Rehabilitation in Sports Therapy
- Research Methodologies 1
- Research Methodologies 2
- Research Project
- MSc Nutrition and Behaviour - Research Project
- Isometric hip strength in elite professional football (AFC Bournemouth, 01 Aug 2019). Awarded
- Programme Leader BSc (Hons) Sports Therapy, Human Sciences and Public Health
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Widening participation activity for BTEC Health and Social Care students.
- Asked to write and run a widening participation workshop to enthuse young learners in the profession of Sports Therapy
- BSA A/B Group: Past and Present Lives, ‘Auto/biography: A short film: “It’s not research, it’s just stories”: an exploration into the challenges and triumphs of biographic research’, 07 Dec 2018, Friends House, London, UK
- BSA Auto/Biography Summer Conference, “Observing My Future Self”: Understanding the impact of aging family members, on one’s own anticipated progression through the ageing process., 19 Jul 2018, Oxford
- Humanising Care Conference, Proposing a 'Biographical Echoes' approach to understand the ideographic nature of patient experiences and promote humanised health care practices., 21 Jun 2018, Bournemouth, UK
- BSA Christmas Conference - Public and Private Lives, Transitioning Ones Private Experience into the Public Domain, 08 Dec 2017, Friends House, London
- Enhancing Primary Care through Research and Innovation, Improving Primary Care Provision through Understanding the Experiences of ‘Strangers’ within Diagnostic Groups., 22 Nov 2017, Executive Business Centre, Bournemouth University
- Humanising Care, Health and Wellbeing Conference, 'My Bones Won't Break Me:' My Experience of Living with Osteoporosis as a young active female., 29 Jun 2017, Bournemouth University
- AFCB Fitness Testing - Data Collection, Consultancy. AFC Bournemouth
- Fitness Testing Analysis - AFC Bournemouth, Report writing for Fitness Testing Data for AFCB fitness data. AFC Bournemouth
- PhD in Medical Sociology (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- Level 1 in Accredited Anthropometrist in Kinanthropometry (International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry, 2012)
- MSc in Sport Science & Medicine (Roehampton University, 2006)
- BSc (Hons) in Sport Rehabilitation with Health and Human Biology (St Mary's University College, 2001)
- BU Learning and Teaching Fellowship (2014)
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science, Member (2017-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2014-),