Dr Suelen Carls
- 01202 963071
- scarls at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer in Intellectual Property Law (Patents)
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I hold a PhD in Law from the Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC-Brazil), combined with a year of research at Oxford University (UK). I also have a Bachelor of Law and a Master in Development Studies from the Regional University of Blumenau (FURB-Brazil). In addition to being a Senior Lecturer in IP Law at Bournemouth University since July 2022, I am an Affiliate Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute in Germany, where I worked four years before joining BU, and an IP Expert at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Academy. Ahead of moving full-time to the Academy, I practised law, worked in a technology park and taught part-time.
My current research interests focus on the one hand on Intellectual Property & Green Life Sciences, targeting issues such as the role of patents in food security, and on the other hand on Intellectual Property strategy, internationalisation of companies, and law and economics. My research usually connects with regional development issues and deals mainly with Latin American emerging economies.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
"End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture"
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
"Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts"
- Carls, S., 2022. NATIONAL INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY STRATEGY: A REFLECTION INSPIRED BY THE THOUGHTS OF PATRICIA LUÍZA KEGEL. Revista Jurídica (FURB), 26, 1-18.
- Carls, S. and Amal, M., 2022. From West to East: Mercosur and Singapore agree on FTA. Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 17 (11), 898-902.
- de Almeida, A.R. and Carls, S., 2021. The Criteria to Qualify a Geographical Term as Generic: Are We Moving from a European to a US Perspective? IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 52 (4), 444-467.
- Carls, S., 2021. Brazil is one step closer to implementation of the Nagoya Protocol. Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, 16 (1), 19-20.
- Carls, S., 2021. Brazil is one step closer to implementation of the Nagoya Protocol. JOURNAL OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW & PRACTICE, 16 (1), 19-20.
- Carls, S., 2020. Brazilian GIs Landscape: From the TRIPS Commitments to the Real World, What Was Achieved, What Is Yet to be Faced? GRUR International, 69 (9), 902-917.
- Zappalaglio, A., Guerrieri, F. and Carls, S., 2020. Sui Generis Geographical Indications for the Protection of Non-Agricultural Products in the EU: Can the Quality Schemes Fulfil the Task? IIC International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 51 (1), 31-69.
- Patricia Luiza, K. and Carls, S., 2016. O INSTITUTO JURÍDICO DA INDICAÇÃO GEOGRÁFICA NA PROMOÇÃO DO DESENVOLVIMENTO REGIONAL: O CASO DOS CRISTAIS ARTESANAIS DA REGIÃO DE BLUMENAU (THE LEGAL INSTITUTION OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATION IN PROMOTING REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT: THE CASE OF HANDMADECRYSTALS IN THE REGION OF BLUMENAU). Redes, 20 (3), 293-313.
- Freedom, contract and property: towards a contemporary contemporary private law in the face of social complexity and legal experience. Joaçaba: Editora Unoesc.
- Hilty, R., D. Batista, P.H. and Carls, S., 2022. Traditional Knowledge, Databases and Prior Art – Options for an Effective Defensive Use of TK Against Undue Patent Granting. In: Stamatoudi, I., ed. Forthcoming in: Intellectual Property and Cultural Heritage.. Cheltenham: Elgar.
- Hilty, R.M., Batista, P.H.D., Beneke, F., Blasetti, R.C., Carls, S., Correa, J.I., Lamping, M. and Vega, G.N.D.L., 2021. La Propiedad Intelectual en Latinoamérica y su Rol en el Desarrollo Económico y Social. In: Wachowicz, M. and Grau-Kuntz, K., eds. Estudos de Propriedade Intelectual em Homenagem ao Prof. Dr. Denis Borges Barbosa. IODA.
- Kegel, P.L., Amal, M. and Carls, S., 2011. A Indicação Geográfica como vetor de desenvolvimento regional e a possibilidade de sua aplicação no setor de cristais artesanais do Vale do Itajaí. In: Code IPEA 2011 - Circuito de Debates Acadêmicos 23-25 November 2011 Brasília. https://www.ipea.gov.br/code2011/chamada2011/pdf/area7/area7-artigo15.pdf.
- Blasetti, R.C., Suelen, C., Pedro Henrique, D.B. and Carls, S., 2022. Distinctive Signs for Collective Use in Latin America: Development Promotion by Valuing Origin and Quality. Max Planck Institute for Innovation & Competition Research Series.
- Blasetti, R.C., Carls, S. and D. Batista, P.H., 2021. Signos Distintivos Colectivos en Latinoamérica: Fomento del Desarrollo Valorando Origen y Calidad (Distinctive Signs for Collective Use in Latin America: Development Promotion by Valuing Origin and Quality). Max Planck Institute for Innovation & Competition Research Paper Series.
- Carls, S., 2016. Proteção jurídica das indicações geográficas e desenvolvimento: o regulamento de uso e as estruturas de controle e gestão. PhD Thesis. Federal University of Santa Catarina State.
- Carls, S., 2013. O aproveitamento da indicação geográfica na promoção de desenvolvimento regional :o caso dos cristais artesanais da região de Blumenau. Master's Thesis. Regional University of Blumenau.
- Carls, S., 2008. Uma análise multisetorial da patenteabilidade das seqüências de DNA humano. Undergraduate Dissertation. Regional University of Blumenau.
- Estèves, N., Wernick, A. and Carls, S., 2023. The Potential of Follow-On Innovation Financing Instruments to Support a Sustainable Transition.
- Hilty, R., Carls, S. and Kim, D., 2022. Patent rights in pandemic times. Max Planck Society. Published.
- Hilty, R., D. Batista, P.H., Carls, S., Kim, D., Lamping, M. and Slowinski, P., 2021. COVID-19 and the Role of Intellectual Property: Position Statement of the Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition of 7 May 2021. SSRN. Published online.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Issues in Intellectual Property Law
- International and Comparative Intellectual Property Law
- International Cyber Law and Governance
- Patents and Design
Profile of Teaching UG
- Intellectual Property Law
- Intellectual Property (IP) strategy of Latin American Multinationals (FAPESC (Research and Innovation Support Foundation of Santa Catarina State), 20 Mar 2023). Completed
- The legality and possibilities of granting and using fiscal incentives for the promotion and enhancement of Brazilian geographical indications. (Brazilian Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), 01 Mar 2018). Completed
- Applied Course on Competition Policy at Brazil's Council for Economic Defence (CADE), Brazil (World Bank Group, 01 Jul 2016). Completed
- Protecting the name is not enough: the role of the code of practice and the management and control structures in the protection of geographical indications (Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), 01 Apr 2015). Completed
- Legal protection of geographical indications and development: the code of practice and the control and management structures (Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq), 01 Mar 2013). Completed
- The use of Geographical Indication in promoting regional development: the case of handcrafted crystal in the region of Blumenau, Santa Catarina, Brazil (Brazilian Coordination for the Improvement of Higher Education Personnel (CAPES), 01 Mar 2011). Completed
- Staff Representative [Humanities & Law Department], FMC Staff Wellbeing Comiittee
- Staff Representative [Faculty of Media & Communication], Bournemouth University Senate
- 2022 European Policy for Intellectual Property (EPIP) Conference, How does context matter in the IP strategy of Latin American Multinationals?, 14 Sep 2022, Cambridge
- 40th Congress - IPR in Times of Crisis: Lessons Learned from the Covid-19 Pandemic, There is a need for improvement, but where?, 22 Jun 2022, Copenhagen [on-line]
- PhD in Law (Federal University of Santa Catarina State (UFSC), 2016)
- MA in Regional Development (Regional University of Blumenau (FURB), 2013)
- MBA in Tax Management (Regional University of Blumenau (FURB), 2010)
- BA (Hons) in Law (Regional University of Blumenau (FURB), 2009)
- ECTA Award 2020 First Prize Professional Category (European Communities Trademark Association (ECTA), 2020)
Social Media Links
- LinkedIn, http://linkedin.com/in/suelencarls