Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I am a documentary filmmaker and Principal Academic in the Faculty of Media and Communication at Bournemouth University where I teach on MA Directing Film and Television and BA (Hons) Television Production.
My main research interest is in documentary film and in my doctoral research I used participatory film to research the everyday lives of women living in rural India. Outputs from this research include two journal articles on participatory filmmaking methods and visual research and my film Village Tales won the 2016 AHRC Research in Film Award for Innovation with the jury stating that ‘this project is a brilliant example of the edifying power of research through film’.
I am now leading Faculty initiatives to define and expand practice-based research and I am supervising a number of practice-led doctorates. One of my students, Dr. Olugbenga Ajayi, recently had a successful completion with his study of screenwriting practices in Nigerian cinema. I welcome enquiries from people interested in undertaking practice-led PhD research at Bournemouth...
My professional practice is based on my work as a documentary filmmaker and I run my own company, Sequoia Films. As a documentary producer/director many of the series and singles I have produced and directed for the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV have won awards from the Royal Television Society, the Prix de Basle and the New York International Film and TV Finalist award. I am currently working with Spring Films on a feature documentary film about the Indian space programme.
I have been the BA (Hons) Television Production degree Level Co-ordinator for twelve years, and instrumental in course design and delivery, and played a key role in building Bournemouth’s reputation for being one of the most important centres for television and film education in the UK. In taking on the Global Engagement Lead role for our Department, I have been instrumental in forging partnerships with international universities.more
- Sudbury, S., 2018. Visualising the everyday: participatory filmmaking in rural India. Visual Ethnography, 7 (2), 6-23.
- Han, X., McDougall, J., Mott, C. and Sudbury, S., 2018. Hunger by the Sea: Partnerships in The Brave Third Space. International Journal for Students as Partners.
- Sudbury, S., 2018. The Anthropologist. American Anthropologist, March 2018.
- Sudbury, S., 2018. The Anthropologist Seth Kramer, Daniel A. Miller, and Jeremy Newberger, dirs. 81 mins. English, Russian, Sakha, Kiribati, Spanish, and Quechua with English subtitles. New York: Ironbound Films, 2015. American Anthropologist, 120 (1), 169-170.
- Sudbury, S., 2016. Locating a "third voice": participatory filmmaking and the everyday in rural India. Journal of Media Practice, 1-19.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Glocalizing the 'other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures. In: Srinivas, M., ed. Glocalization: Media Beyond Borders.. New Delhi: Excel India.
- Sudbury, S., 2018. Participatory Filmmaking in Rural India. In: Everyday Matters - Oxford Centre for Life-Writing 5-6 May 2018 Wolfson College, Oxford.
- Sudbury, S., 2018. Village Tales. In: 5th Indian Cine Film Festival 10 September 2017 Mumbai, India.
- Ashencaen Crabtree, S., Hemingway, A., Sudbury, S., Esteves, L., Hall, J., Board, M., Diaz, A., Hutchings, M., Jacey, H. et al., 2018. ‘Welcome to the Machine!’ Resisting isomorphic, masculinised corporatisation of Higher Education through feminist scholarship. In: DAKAM Gender and Women's Studies Conference 10-12 November 2018 Istanbul.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. 'Practice and Research in practice: from Food Banks to Space Rockets - unheard voices from unusual places. In: "Before, behind, between, above, below" and other prepositions: a creative practice/research workshop 7 July 2017 Bournemouth University.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. AHRC Research in Film Award winner - presentation of, and discussion about, 'Village Tales'. In: The AHRC International Development Summit 2017 7 June 2017 British Library, London.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Hunger by the Sea. In: London International Documentary Film Festival 2017 25-26 November 2017 London.
- Sudbury, S., 2017. Glocalizing the 'other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures. Keynote. In: Media summit 2017 17-18 February 2017 KC College, Mumbai.
- Sudbury, S., 2016. Facilitating empathy through participatory filmmaking. In: Migration crises: engaging audiences, facilitating empathy in Media for Change Virtual Conference 17-18 November 2016 Bournemouth University.
- Sudbury, S., 2014. Non-fiction: Outer and Inner Spaces. In: Cosmographies: Textual and Visual Cultures of Outer Space 2-6 July 2014 University of Falmouth.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Pionnieres, Heroines, Super-heroines: Essentielles a nos Constructions et a nos Vies! In: Cineffable 25th International Festival of Feminist and Lesbian Films 2-3 November 2013 Paris, France.
- Sudbury, S., 2013. Village Reporters: participatory filmmaking in Andhra Pradesh. In: Society for Visual Anthropologists Film Festival 4-9 April 2013 Temple University, USA.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Ksusha's Story. In: Porn Cultures: Regulation, Political Economy and Technology 15-16 June 2009 University of Leeds.
- Sudbury, S., 2009. Women Filmmakers in Andhra Pradesh. In: 1st International Visual Research Conference 15-17 September 2009 University of Leeds, UK.
- Sudbury, S., 2015. Village Tales: an exploration of the potential of participatory documentary filmmaking in rural India. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University, Faculty of Media and Communication.
- Hunger by the Sea, 2017. Film. Available from: https://vimeo.com/234840520.
- Village Tales, 2016. Film.
- Sari Stories, 2009. TV.
- Refuge, 2008. Film.
- Moving On, 2007. Film.
- Is it worth the risk?, 2005. Film.
- Olugbenga Ajayi, 2017. Transcending the Oral Roots of Screenwriting Practices in Nigerian cinema
- Shemin Balachandran Nair. Developing a cinematic form to engage with the notion of Indian transcendental philosophy
- Kevin Yixing Huang. The Documentary Interview in the political and sociological context of contemporary China
Profile of Teaching PG
- Masters Production Project
- Masters Production Project - Producers
Profile of Teaching UG
- Graduate Project - Television Production
- Concept Development Unit - Television Production
Glocalizing the 'other', KC College, Mumbai, India, 10 Feb 2017 more
Invited Keynote. In: Media summit 2017, presented Glocalizing the 'other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures
- Invited keynote at the AHRC International Summit - to present and discuss making of Village Tales - Winner of AHRC Research in Film Award 2016
Ground-breaking documentaries, Broadcast Video Expo at London's EXCEL Centre, 24 Oct 2013 more
Invited to be one of three documentary producer/directors to speak at panel session: "Ground-breaking documentaries: techniques for gaining access, dealing with cultural difference and how to approach sensitive subjects to uncover and capture the unknown".
Media for Change, Innovation Lab, Bournemouth University, 16 Nov 2016 more
Virtual International Conference: Media for Change - Migration crises: engaging audiences, facilitating empathy
Pionnieres, Heroines, Super-heroines, Paris, 22 Nov 2013 more
Invited panel member Pionnieres, Heroines, Super-heroines: Essentielles a nos Constructions et a nos Vies! In: Cineffable 25th Festival International du Film Feministe et Lesbien, Paris, France
- Women filmmakers of Andhra Pradesh (WorldView Development Fund, 10 Mar 2006). Completed
- Wilson College, Mumbai, External validation board member. (2017-)
- Regents University, External programme reviewer. (2015-)
- Sheffield International Documentary Festival, Member of Advisory Committee (2006-)
- Discover Film Awards, Hunger by the Sea, 13 Apr 2018, Prince Edward Theatre, Leciester Square, London W1
- Ethnografilm Paris, Village Tales, 03 Apr 2018, Cinema 13, Montmartre, Paris
- Media Summit 2017 - Glocalization: Media beyond borders, Glocalizing 'the other': British factual television and documentary practices in global media cultures, 20 Feb 2017, Mumbai, India
- PhD in Visual Ethnography and Participatory Filmmaking (Bournemouth University, 2015)
- BA (Hons) in Media and Communication 1st Class (Birmingham City University, 1978)
- Winner Research in Film Award in Innovation Category for Village Tales (AHRC, 2016)
- Winner Innovation in independent film award. (University of Plymouth and Creative Industries iNet, 2010)
- Winner Award of Excellence for Village Tales (Docs Without Borders Film Festival, 2017)
- Winner Award of Merit for Hunger by the Sea (Best Shorts Film Competition, 2017)
- Nomination for Research in Film Innovation Award - Hunger by the Sea (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 2017)
- Nomination for Best Non-Broadcast Award - Hunger by the Sea (Royal Television Society, 2018)
- Winner Award of Excellence for Village Tales (5th Indian Cine Film Festival, 2017)
- Directors UK, Member,
- European Documentary Network, Associate (2007-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2004-),
- MeCCSA, Associate,