Dr Sarah Palmer-Smith
- 01202 961404
- spalmer at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer
- Poole House P118, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
CROSS-CULTURAL ENGAGEMENT IN CHINA: PROBLEMS, POTENTIAL AND OPPORTUNITIES (EdD Thesis).
Cross-cultural engagement for design and engineering practitioners: investigation into the challenges of managing and overseeing projects in the cross cultural setting (China), using qualitative data from UK companies. Exploring the contextual and cultural implications of transnational practice; their impact and/or influence on the potential successful outcome of a project.
Further, investigation into the implementation of an experiential learning pedagogy in-context by engineering companies in order to develop employees for cross-cultural business. Using experiential learning to develop 'global skills' and cultural intelligence (CQ) in employees in order to improve potential project outcome.
- Garland, N., Wade, R., Glithro, R. and Palmer-Smith, S., 2019. Model based definition: Finally, the engineering drawing killer?
- Garland, N., Khan, Z. and Palmer, S., 2012. Sustainable development primers for design students: A comparative study. 617-624.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Final Design Project (DBM), Final Design Project (Industrial Design), Contextual Design, Visualisation Tools, Masters Group Project (AY2016-7)
- Placements Academic, Placements Office
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Supporting students with JDF Bursaries to deliver Design & Make Workshops in local schools for Year 8 pupils. STEM Promotion, Widening Participation.
- Doctorate of Education (EdD) in Cross-Cultural Engagement; Design Engineering (University of Southampton, 2017)
- MA in Computer Animation (Bournemouth University, 1991)
- BA (Hons) in BA (Hons) Communication & Media Production (Comput (Bournemouth University (Polytechnic), 1990)
- BTEC in Graphic Design & Packaging (Southampton (HE), 1985)