Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Dr Garland is a senior lecturer and programme leader for BSc (Hons) Design Engineering in the department of Design & Engineering at the Faculty of Science and Technology. His research areas include tribology, the environmental impacts of design selection and sustainable development in design education.
Dr Garland has carried out research works into the sustainable design of hydrocarbon refrigerants applied to the hermetic compressor. This research was funded by the EPSRC and investigated the tribological effects of refrigerant selection and subsequent environmental impacts.
More recently he has investigated the disparity between the business and academic perspectives of sustainable development leading to new methods for embedding sustainability within the curriculum and spawned experimental problem based learning practices for design engineers.
Dr Garland is an active member of the Institute of Engineering Designers where he is a member of the EPDE scientific review committee and accreditation panel for programme validation and membership applications...
Dr Garland is an active BSI committee member for TDW/4 technical product realization. Here he works with industrial and academic colleagues to develop and revise British and International standards such as BS8888 (Engineering Drawing Practice) as well as training strategy and learning outcomes.more
- Bhutta, U., Khan, Z., Garland, N. and Ghafoor, A., 2018. A Historical Review on the Tribological Performance of Refrigerants used in Compressors. Tribology in Industry, 40 (1), 19-51.
- Tzanakis, I., Hadfield, M. and Garland, N., 2011. Cavitation damage incubation with typical fluids applied to a scroll expander system. Tribology International, 44 (12), 1668-1678.
- Tzanakis, I., Hadfield, M., Henshaw, I., Garland, N.P. and Khan, Z.A., 2011. Experimental sliding performance of composite tip seal with high carbon steel plate under lubricated conditions applied to scroll expander systems. Tribology Transactions, 54 (4), 505-513.
- Garland, N.P., Hadfield, M., Howarth, G. and Middleton, D., 2009. Investment in Sustainable Development: A UK Perspective on the Business and Academic Challenges. Sustainability, 1, 1144-1160.
- Garland, G. and Hadfield, M., 2005. Tribological analysis of hydrocarbon refrigerants applied to the hermetic compressor. Tribology International, 38, 732-739.
- Hadfield, M. and Garland, N.P., 2005. Environmental implications of hydrocarbon refrigerants applied to the hermetic compressor. International Journal of Materials and Design, 26, 578-586.
- Saeed, A., Khan, Z., Garland, N. and Smith, R., 2017. Material characterisation to understand various modes of corrosion failures in large military vehicles of historical importance. In: Syngellakis, S., ed. Corrosion: Material Performance and Cathodic Protection. UK: WIT Press, 3-14.
- Garland, N. and Khan, Z., 2014. The Missing Link: Research Co-Creation Through Design Engineering Projects. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education: Design Education and Human Technology Relations. Design Society.
- Garland, N.P., Khan, Z.A. and Parkinson, B., 2010. Sustainable development for design engineering students: a peer assisted problem based learning approach. In: Boks, C., McMahon, C., Ion, W. and Parkinson, B., eds. When Design Education and Design Research meet. EPDE 10: 12th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education.. Glasgow, United Kingdom: The Design Society, 370-375.
- Hutchings, M., Garland, N.P., Hadfield, M., Howarth, G., Lewarne, S. and Norman, K., 2002. Educational challenges of web-based case studies in sustainable development. In: Hon, B., ed. Design and manufacture for sustainable development: 27-28th June 2002 at the University of Liverpool, UK. Bury St Edmunds: Professional Engineering, 295-304.
- Wade, R., Garland, N. and Underwood, G., 2017. Challenges of 3D printing for home users. 478-482.
- Garland, N., Glithro, R. and Wade, R., 2017. The challenges facing education in engineering drawing practice. 254-259.
- Garland, N., Khan, Z. and O'Kane, P., 2015. Surgical appliance design through student co-creation at PAL-Week. In: Bingham, G., Southee, D., McCardle, J., Kovacevic, A., Bohemia, E. and Parkinson, B., eds. 17th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (EPDE15), Great Expectations: Design Teaching, Research and Enterprise 3-4 September 2015 Loughborough University Design School, Loughborough, UK. 424-429.
- Garland, N. and Khan, Z., 2014. PAL Week: Learning Sustainable Development in Design and Engineering. In: Learning and Teaching Conference 2014: Enhancing and Embedding Education for Sustainable Development 10 June 2014 University of Chichester, UK.
- Garland, N. and Khan, Z., 2014. The missing link: Co-creation through design engineering projects. 612-617.
- Anand, M., Hadfield, M., Thomas, B., Austen, S., Cantrill, R., Viesca, J.L. and Garland, N., 2013. Experimental analysis of anti-wear performance of marine engine lubricants. 2798.
- Garland, N., Khan, Z. and Palmer, S., 2012. Sustainable development primers for design students: A comparative study. In: Buck, L., Frateur, G., Ion, W., McMahon, C., Baelus, C., de Grande, G. and Vervulgen, S., eds. 14th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (EPDE12) Design Education for Future Wellbeing 6-7 September 2012 Artesis University College, Antwerp, Belgium. Glasgow, UK: Design Society, 617-622.
- Khan, Z.A., Saeed, A. and Garland, N.P., 2011. An experimental study of Tribo-corrosion in historic military vehicles. In: 4th China-UK Symposium on Lubrication and Chemical Aspect of Wear 29-30 March 2012 Southampton, England.
- Saeed, A., Khan, Z.A., Garland, N.P. and Smith, R., 2011. Material characterisation to understand various modes of corrosion failures in large military vehicles of historical importance. In: Fifth International Conference on Computational Methods and Experiments in Materials Characterisation 13-15 June 2011 Kos, Greece. Wessex Institute of Technology, 95-106.
- Garland, N., Khan, Z. and Parkinson, B., 2011. Integrating social factors through design analysis. In: Kovacevic, A., Ion, W., McMahon, C., Buck, L. and Hogarth, P., eds. 13th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education (EPDE 2011) Design Education for Creativity and Business Innovation 8-9 September 2011 City University, London, UK. Glasgow, UK: The Design Society, 529-534.
- Tzanakis, I., Hadfield, M., Khan, Z.A. and Garland, N.P., 2010. An experimental study of refrigerant lubricated sliding contact between the main components of a scroll expander system. In: Third International Conference on Tribology and Design 11-13 May 2010 Algarve, Portugal.
- Garland, N.P. and Hadfield, M., 2003. In-use Tribological Analysis of Hydrocarbon Refrigerants Applied to the Hermetic Compressor. In: 2nd International Conference on Tribology in Environmental Design 2003 : the characteristics of interacting surfaces : a key factor in sustainable and economic products 8-10 September 2003 Bournemouth University, England. London, England: Engineering Publishing Ltd, 193-204.
- Garland, N.P., 2004. Sustainable design of hydrocarbon refrigerants applied to the hermetic compressor. PhD Thesis. Bournemouth University; Design, Engineering and Computing.
- BSI Standards Committee, TDW/004 Technical Product Realization, Member (2015-), http://www.bsigroup.com/
- Engineering Council UK, Chartered Engineer (2015-),
- Institute of Engineering Designers, Member (2014-),