Dr Andrew Bissell
- 01202 965930
- abissell at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Deputy Head of Department in Communication and Journalism
- Weymouth House W421, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Andrew Bissell joined Bournemouth University as a Lecturer in Journalism in September 2013 having spent 30 years as a newspaper and online journalist. During his journalism career, Andy was employed as a news reporter and feature writer before undertaking editorships. Andrew is a social science graduate of the University of Birmingham where he studied Economic and Social History. He is the author of two social history books that record memories of London’s East End and Southampton during the 1920s, 1930s and Blitz years. Andrew is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and became a Doctor of Education in 2018.
Dr Bissell's research interests include holistic approaches to education, vocational teaching, the student experience of 'becoming' a professional and philosophically-informed education practice.
- Bissell, A., Fowler-Watt, K., Phillips, M., Brine, D., Sunderland, M., Majin, G. and Murphy, J., 2020. Reflections on the shifting shape of journalism education in the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital Culture and Education.
- Bissell, A., 2023. Broadening Horizons: How student perspectives can help meet journalism's challenges. Challenges and New Directions in Journalism Education. Taylor & Francis.
- Bissell, A., 2020. Strangers in strange lands: Exploring pathways to becoming and wellbeing. Humanising Higher Education: A Positive Approach to Enhancing Wellbeing. 107-123.
Profile of Teaching PG
- News and Online Level C and News and Online Level I
- National Council for the Training of Journalists, Member,