- 01202 965394
- msunderland at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Faculty Lead for Internationalisation
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Communication and Journalism. I am also the Faculty Lead for Internationalisation in BU's Faculty of Media and Communication. In my faculty role, I provide leadership in areas such as international student and staff mobility, international partnerships, international student recruitment, and international business development.
My research is primarily concerned with humanitarian journalism, NGOs, and media advocacy. I have presented at a range of international conferences including European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA) and the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR). I am currently a co-investigator on the AHRC-funded "Developing capacity for youth disability advocacy through networking in East Africa" project.
I was previously a producer at Sky News and later a freelance video journalist covering East and Central Africa. I’ve spent much of my career in Africa, both as a journalist and during two stints managing media relations for Save the Children...
I maintain close links to the non-profit sector and currently serve as a director on the board of Avaaz Campaigns UK. I co-founded the Youth Disability Advocacy and Research (YDAR) network and currently mentor disability activists in East Africa.more
- Bissell, A., Fowler-Watt, K., Phillips, M., Brine, D., Sunderland, M., Majin, G. and Murphy, J., 2020. Reflections on the shifting shape of journalism education in the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital Culture and Education.
- Cownie, F. and Sunderland, M., 2023. Integrating journalism education and the sustainability agenda. Challenges and New Directions in Journalism Education: Reflections. Routledge.
- Sunderland, M., 2023. Aid & the news agenda: examining the forces shaping NGO-produced humanitarian news. In: IAMCR 2023 9-13 July 2023 Lyon.
- Sunderland, M., 2022. Exploring the key forces controlling media coverage of humanitarian crises in East, West and Central Africa. In: 2022 ECREA Conference 19-22 October 2022 Aarhus, Denmark.
- Sreedharan, C., Thorsen, E., Miles, L., Matthews, J., Sunderland, M. and Baker-Beall, C., 2021. Impact of Covid-19 on journalism in Sierra Leone. Freetown: Sierra Leone Association of Journalists. Available from: https://slaj.sl/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Sierra-Leone-National-Survey-Report-English-with-APPENDIX.pdf.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Digital Journalism
- Multimedia Reporting Skills
- Documentary Journalism
- Journalism in Global Contexts
Profile of Teaching UG
- Video Journalism
- Broadcast Journalism
- Major Multimedia Projects
- Converged Journalism
- Developing Capacity for Youth Disability Advocacy through Networking in East Africa (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Feb 2023). Awarded
- AFTERCAB (Global Challenges Research Fund, 01 Jan 2020). Completed
- Nottingham Trent University, External Examiner (2022-)
- Avaaz Campaigns UK, Director (2021-)
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @mikejsunderland