- 01202 965394
- msunderland at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Multimedia Journalism
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Communication and Journalism and Programme Leader of MA Multimedia Journalism.
My research focuses on crisis reporting and how journalism and the media are harnessed as tools for social and political change.
Before moving into academia, I worked as a journalist, specialising in international and humanitarian reporting. I was a producer and reporter on Sky's World News programme and later a freelance video, radio and online correspondent covering East and Central Africa. I’ve spent much of my career in Africa, both as a journalist and during two stints managing media relations for Save the Children. I’ve covered wars and conflicts in Somalia, Nigeria, DRC, and Côte d'Ivoire, as well as humanitarian and development issues in 20 countries across the continent. My news content has been used by, amongst others, Sky News, BBC News, ITV News, Associated Press, Voice of America, Reuters, Al Jazeera, and France 24.
I maintain close links to the non-profit sector and currently serve as a Director on the board of Avaaz Campaigns UK.
- Bissell, A., Fowler-Watt, K., Phillips, M., Brine, D., Sunderland, M., Majin, G. and Murphy, J., 2020. Reflections on the shifting shape of journalism education in the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital Culture and Education.
- Sunderland, M., 2022. Exploring the key forces controlling media coverage of humanitarian crises in East, West and Central Africa. In: 2022 ECREA Conference 19-22 October 2022 Aarhus, Denmark.
- Sreedharan, C., Thorsen, E., Miles, L., Matthews, J., Sunderland, M. and Baker-Beall, C., 2021. Impact of Covid-19 on journalism in Sierra Leone. Freetown: Sierra Leone Association of Journalists. Available from: https://slaj.sl/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Sierra-Leone-National-Survey-Report-English-with-APPENDIX.pdf.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Digital Journalism
- Multimedia Reporting Skills
- Documentary Journalism
- Journalism in Global Contexts
Profile of Teaching UG
- Video Journalism
- Broadcast Journalism
- Major Multimedia Projects
- Converged Journalism
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @mikejsunderland