Dr Jaron Murphy
- 01202 966739
- jlmurphy at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer Academic In Communication And Journalism
- Weymouth House W334, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
- Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University.
- See p4 — Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists.
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Jaron Murphy holds a DPhil in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford. He has extensive international experience in journalism encompassing both print and digital news, mostly in senior editorial/production and management roles (with leadership activity extending to staff and student training). His journalism achievements include national awards for courageous investigative journalism and hard news; and in the UK, he appeared on the NCTJ list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University which asked journalists working in the UK "which living journalist they felt most embodies the values of journalism that they respect and adhere to". Dr Murphy is also a judge for the Orwell Society's UK-wide Young Journalist's Award 2021, which is open to all journalism students and working journalists under 30. (The judging panel includes George Orwell's son and Patron of the Society, Richard Blair, and Education Trustee, Ann Kronbergs. More info here: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/orwell-society-journalism-bursary-2020/.)...
Dr Murphy's academic research has been interdisciplinary across journalism, literature, culture and the arts. A number of his articles and essays offer fresh perspectives and insights into the works and lives of, and relation between, renowned literary figures such as W.B. Yeats, George Orwell, T.S. Eliot and Wyndham Lewis — including images of Dr Murphy's discoveries in periodicals archives. Dr Murphy has also contributed to research on public (dis)trust in online news and on adjustments to journalism education amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr Murphy's wide-ranging research, teaching and thesis supervision interests include Romantic, Victorian and Modern literature and periodicals; Anglo-Irish literature; literary and journalism theory; the history of literature and journalism; literary journalism; post/colonial contexts and writing; literature and journalism produced under oppressive regimes; literature and journalism which tackle social injustice; instances of assault/imprisonment/killing of journalists and writers; and literary and journalism education and practice in an age of 'fake news' and public distrust in democratic institutions like the government and media.
Dr Murphy is a member of the Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre and Journalism Education Research Group.
He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).more
- Murphy, J., 2020. Menon, Orwell and the Yeats Fascism Debate. George Orwell Studies, Volume 5 (No. 1 2020), 20-38.
- Murphy, J., 2020. Lyra McKee: Lost, Found, Remembered (London: Faber & Faber Ltd, 2020) [REVIEW]. Journalism (SAGE journals).
- Murphy, J., 2020. "Compassion as a Pedagogical Principle" in Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the COVID-19 Pandemic [BU JOURNALISM EDUCATION RESEARCH GROUP]. Digital Culture and Education.
- Murphy, J., 2019. Fictional Characters, Real Problems: The Search for Ethical Content in Literature. By Garry L. Hagberg (Ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. [REVIEW]. Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics, 42 (Spring 2019), 178-181.
- Murphy, J., 2019. T.S. Eliot's Dialectical Imagination, Jewel Spears Brooker (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2018) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 85-90.
- Murphy, J., 2019. The Letters of T.S. Eliot, Volume 8: 1936-1938, Ed. John Haffenden (London: Faber & Faber, 2019) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 91-98.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “This Picture Caused a Rumpus”: Revisiting the T.S. Eliot Portrait’s New Lease of Life at the Durban Art Gallery, South Africa. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 8, 1-12.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Acceptance, Rejection, Readmission”: T.S. Eliot Portrait Forms Part of a Special Exhibition at the Royal Academy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/REVIEW]. T.S. Eliot Society Exchanges newsletter, 4-5.
- Murphy, J., 2018. The Great Spectacle: 250 Years of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition [REVIEW]. The British Art Journal, 93-95.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Mr Eliot has Re-Discovered a Portrait of Himself”: Reframing Lewis’s Rejected Masterpiece in the 21st Century. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 69-94.
- Murphy, J., 2017. “Of Hunters and of Fishers”: A Covert Critique of Arnold’s Celtic Element in Yeats’s A Vision. Notes and Queries (Oxford University Press), 64 (4), 648-656.
- Murphy, J., 2017. Passion and Imagination: Yeats’s ‘Fundamental Agreement’ with Lewis at Phase 9 in the Great Wheel of A Vision. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 7, 194-201.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Durban Art Gallery masterpiece features in spectacular exhibition in London [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWSPAPER ARTICLE, PRINT AND ONLINE]. Caxton Newspapers, Durban, South Africa [HIGHWAY MAIL, BEREA MAIL, NORTHGLEN NEWS]. Available from: https://bereamail.co.za/137691/durban-art-gallery-masterpiece-features-spectacular-exhibition-london/.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Literature, Art, and a Media Frenzy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/Q&A ARTICLE]. Wyndham Lewis Society. Available from: http://www.wyndhamlewis.org/news?start=5.
- Murphy, J., 2016. "Andy" [TRUST PROJECT NEWS/PROTOTYPES RESEARCH INTERVIEW; JOURNALISM RESEARCH GROUP; AMONG "BRITISH NEWS READER INTERVIEWS"]. https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://thetrustproject.org/. Available from: https://thetrustproject.org/british-news-reader-interviews/.
- Mr Maynard Manyowa. The Government, the Internet, and the Press: Inside Zimbabwe's Information War
Profile of Teaching PG
- Investigative Journalism — Unit Leader, MA Multimedia Journalism
Profile of Teaching UG
- Media, Journalism and Society — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism
- Dissertations — Tutor and Supervisor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism
- Media: Messages and Meanings — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media
- Professional Placement — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism
- Academic Advisor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- Level Tutor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 5
- NCTJ units and exams — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism
- Introduction to Communication Theory — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media
- Bournemouth University (BU) Department of Communication & Journalism and National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ, course accreditation body), BU-NCTJ Academic Relationship Manager (2020-), https://www.nctj.com/
- NCTJ National Exams Centre co-ordinator , Southampton
- Internal Examiner in Literature for PhD thesis on Samuel Beckett (viva date: 14 December 2017), Southampton Solent University
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Judge for the Orwell Society's UK-wide Young Journalist's Award 2021. The judging panel includes George Orwell's son and Patron of the Orwell Society, Richard Blair, and Education Trustee, Ann Kronbergs. Open to all journalism students and working journalists under 30. Entries deadline: 1 March. Prize total: £3000. Info here: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/orwell-society-journalism-bursary-2020/
- BU Academic Lead, Literary Journalism Map and Website Project: a partnership with Dutch journalist Roderick Nieuwenhuis to 'rehome' and develop The Times Literary Supplement (TLS) online map of writers' homes in the UK in collaboration with students, academics, communities and organisations. https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/literary-map-writers-homes/
- IAMCR Online 2020 [International Association for Media and Communication Research]. Journalism in a Digital Era: https://iamcr.org/node/13945. Journalism Research and Education Section — JRE: https://iamcr.org/tampere2020/abstract-books, p54. Abstract: https://iamcr.org/node/13450, Google News and Machine Gatekeepers: Algorithmic Personalisation, Filter Bubbles and Homogeneity in Online News Search [Bournemouth University: Daniel Jackson, Ryan Evans, Jaron Murphy, Einar Thorsen], 12 Jul 2020, Tampere University, Finland [online, international]
- AJE Virtual Summer Conference [Association for Journalism Education]: https://ajeuk.org/aje-2020-online-conference-watch-the-sessions-and-see-our-speakers-slides-here/, Collective Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the Covid-19 Crisis [Bournemouth University: Journalism Education Research Group], 19 Jun 2020, UK [online, international]
- The Trust Project Challenge ‘hackathon’ [Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University, https://thetrustproject.org/], Research Findings — Trust Indicators and Prototypes [Metropolitan vs Regional]: https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38181158, 29 Nov 2016, London [UK and international]
- Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2017)
- DPhil in English Language and Literature (Oxford University, 2014)
- Associate Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2013)
- MA in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2007)
- NQF4 in Project Management Foundations (2006)
- BA (Hons) in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2002)
- BA in English and Communication (majors with distinction in English, 2000)
- National Diploma in Journalism (cum laude, 1997)
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Associate, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Journalism Education Research Group, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/narrative-culture-community-research-centre
- The Orwell Society, Member, https://orwellsocietyblog.wordpress.com/home/