Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Jaron Murphy is an award-winning journalist with extensive international experience, mostly in senior editorial, production and management roles. His professional achievements include national awards for courageous investigative and hard news journalism. In 2018, Dr Murphy appeared on the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University which asked journalists working in the UK and Ireland “which living journalist they felt most embodies the values of journalism that they respect and adhere to”.
Among several academic qualifications with distinction, Dr Murphy holds a DPhil in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford.
He has been appointed as the Programme Leader for the BA (Hons) Communication and Media course at Bournemouth University: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-communication-media.
In recent years, Dr Murphy has supported research-informed journalism education and professional practice at a national level in his capacity as a journalism and education consultant for the Orwell Society and as Chair of the judging panel for the UK-wide, practice-based Orwell Society/National Union of Journalists Young Journalist’s Award: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/profile-of-dr-jaron-murphy-chair-of-the-judging-panel-2023/...
Dr Murphy has been reappointed Chair of the judging panel for 2024 which includes inspirational journalists Hardeep Matharu, Tam Hussein, Charlie Brinkhurst Cuff and Dorian Lynskey: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/the-orwell-society-nuj-young-journalists-award-2024-open-for-entries/. For 2023, the panel included Gary Younge (who went on to win the senior Orwell Prize for Journalism) and Marverine Cole.
As part of his efforts to promote Orwell’s legacy among up-and-coming journalists, Dr Murphy has published an academic paper on aligning Orwell and NCTJ teaching in the UK: https://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/38001/1/Murphy_GOS.pdf.
He has also written a new introduction covering Orwell’s reportage for a new edition of Homage to Catalonia: https://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/38256/.
Dr Murphy's academic research has been interdisciplinary across journalism, literature, culture, and the arts. His publications in 2023 include chapters on the evolution of literary or longform journalism in the digital age and on prioritising physical and online safety as key issues in preparing young journalists for working in a dangerous world. A number of his published articles draw on his discoveries in periodicals archives and offer fresh insights into the works and lives of, and relation between, renowned 20th-century writers such as W.B. Yeats, George Orwell, T.S. Eliot and Wyndham Lewis. Dr Murphy has also contributed to research on public (dis)trust in online news and on adjustments to journalism education amid the COVID-19 pandemic. His academic research has resulted in requests to peer-review academic articles as well as examine PhD theses.
Dr Murphy's wide-ranging research, teaching and PhD supervision interests include: Romantic, Victorian and Modern literature and periodicals; Anglo-Irish literature; literary and journalism theory; the history of literature and journalism; literary journalism; post/colonial contexts and writing; nationalism and national identity; literature and journalism produced under oppressive regimes; literature and journalism which tackle social injustice; instances of assault/imprisonment/killing of journalists and writers; and literary and journalism education and practice in a digital age of 'fake news' and 'post-truth' politics.
At Bournemouth University, Dr Murphy is a member of the Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre as well as the Journalism Education Research Group.
He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).more
- Murphy, J., 2022. "A Textbook Case: Aligning Orwell and NCTJ Teaching". George Orwell Studies, Volume 6, Number 2 (2022), 58-77.
- Evans, R., Jackson, D. and Murphy, J., 2022. Google News and machine gatekeepers: algorithmic personalisation and news diversity in online news search. Digital Journalism.
- Murphy, J., 2021. OPEN-ACCESS ONLINE PUBLICATION [NOVEMBER 2021] OF: "This Picture Caused a Rumpus": Revisiting the T. S. Eliot Portrait’s New Lease of Life at the Durban Art Gallery, South Africa (2017). The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies (JWLS), 8.
- Murphy, J., 2020. Menon, Orwell and the Yeats Fascism Debate. George Orwell Studies, Volume 5 (No. 1 2020), 20-38.
- Murphy, J., 2020. Book review: Lyra McKee Lost, Found, Remembered. Journalism, 22 (5), 1273-1275.
- Murphy, J., 2020. "Compassion as a Pedagogical Principle" in Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the COVID-19 Pandemic [BU JOURNALISM EDUCATION RESEARCH GROUP]. Digital Culture and Education.
- Bissell, A., Fowler-Watt, K., Phillips, M., Brine, D., Sunderland, M., Majin, G. and Murphy, J., 2020. Reflections on the shifting shape of journalism education in the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital Culture and Education.
- Murphy, J., 2019. Fictional Characters, Real Problems: The Search for Ethical Content in Literature. By Garry L. Hagberg (Ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. [REVIEW]. Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics, 42 (Spring 2019), 178-181.
- Murphy, J., 2019. T.S. Eliot's Dialectical Imagination, Jewel Spears Brooker (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2018) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 85-90.
- Murphy, J., 2019. The Letters of T.S. Eliot, Volume 8: 1936-1938, Ed. John Haffenden (London: Faber & Faber, 2019) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 91-98.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “This Picture Caused a Rumpus”: Revisiting the T.S. Eliot Portrait’s New Lease of Life at the Durban Art Gallery, South Africa. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 8, 1-12.
- Murphy, J., 2018. The Great Spectacle: 250 Years of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition [REVIEW]. The British Art Journal, 93-95.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Acceptance, Rejection, Readmission”: T.S. Eliot Portrait Forms Part of a Special Exhibition at the Royal Academy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/REVIEW]. T.S. Eliot Society Exchanges newsletter, 4-5.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Mr Eliot has Re-Discovered a Portrait of Himself”: Reframing Lewis’s Rejected Masterpiece in the 21st Century. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 69-94.
- Murphy, J., 2017. “Of Hunters and of Fishers”: A Covert Critique of Arnold’s Celtic Element in Yeats’s A Vision. Notes and Queries (Oxford University Press), 64 (4), 648-656.
- Murphy, J., 2017. Passion and Imagination: Yeats’s ‘Fundamental Agreement’ with Lewis at Phase 9 in the Great Wheel of A Vision. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 7, 194-201.
- Murphy, J. and Orwell, G., 2022. "A New Introduction" by Dr. Jaron Murphy in: Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell. Flame Tree 451 Press (distributed by Simon & Schuster).
- Murphy, J., Fowler-Watt, K. and McDougall, J., 2024. The Hidden Threat: Journalism and Resilience in the Age of 'Information Disorder' [Accepted, Publication Pending December 2023/January 2024]. In: Bradley, L. and Heywood, E., eds. Journalism as the Fourth Emergency Service: Building Trauma and Resilience Training Into Journalism Education. Peter Lang Publishing.
- Murphy, J., 2023. Better Safe Than Sorry: Preparing Journalism Students for a Dangerous World. In: Fowler-Watt, K., ed. Challenges and New Directions in Journalism Education. Routledge.
- Murphy, J., 2023. THE EVOLUTION OF LITERARY JOURNALISM IN THE DIGITAL AGE. The Routledge Companion to Literary Media. 125-136.
- Murphy, J., 2022. Critical Orwell conference: Dr Jaron Murphy, Why Orwell Still Matters: The Trust Crisis in Journalism in the Digital Age, 12 April 2022. In: Critical Orwell conference 12-14 April 2022 Birmingham University.
- Jackson, D. and Murphy, J., 2020. Google News and machine gatekeepers: algorithmic personalisation, filter bubbles and homogeneity in online news search. In: IAMCR Annual Conference 12-17 July 2020 Tampere.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Durban Art Gallery masterpiece features in spectacular exhibition in London [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWSPAPER ARTICLE, PRINT AND ONLINE]. Caxton Newspapers, Durban, South Africa [HIGHWAY MAIL, BEREA MAIL, NORTHGLEN NEWS]. Available from: https://bereamail.co.za/137691/durban-art-gallery-masterpiece-features-spectacular-exhibition-london/.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Literature, Art, and a Media Frenzy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/Q&A ARTICLE]. Wyndham Lewis Society. Available from: https://web.archive.org/web/20210513133616/http://www.wyndhamlewis.org/news?start=5.
- Murphy, J., 2016. "Andy" [TRUST PROJECT NEWS/PROTOTYPES RESEARCH INTERVIEW; JOURNALISM RESEARCH GROUP; AMONG "BRITISH NEWS READER INTERVIEWS"]. https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://thetrustproject.org/. Available from: https://thetrustproject.org/british-news-reader-interviews/.
- Mr Maynard Manyowa. The Government, the Internet, and the Press: Inside Zimbabwe's Information War, (In progress)
- Mr Jason Hallett. What are the affordances of implementing mobile augmented reality (MAR) in audio production courses in higher education?, (In progress)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Investigative Journalism — Unit Leader, MA Multimedia Journalism
Profile of Teaching UG
- Journalism and Society (formerly Media, Journalism and Society) — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- Dissertations — Tutor and Supervisor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 6
- Media: Messages and Meanings — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media, Level 5
- Professional Placement — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 6
- Academic Advisor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- Level Tutor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 5
- NCTJ units and exams — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism; Levels 4, 5 and 6
- Introduction to Communication Theory — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media, Level 4
- Level Tutor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- PATHWAY LEADER — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism; Levels 4, 5 and 6
- News and Storytelling 2 (formerly News and Online 2) — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 5
- Long-Form Storytelling — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 5
- Open Cultural Studies journal, Article Peer Reviewer [T.S. Eliot] (2022-), https://www.degruyter.com/journal/key/culture/html?lang=en
- Northumbria University, PhD thesis on Creative Non-Fiction, External Examiner [viva date TBC] (2022-)
- KULA (Knowledge Creation, Dissemination, and Preservation Studies) journal, Article Peer Reviewer [Journalism Education] (2021-)
- Bournemouth University (BU) Department of Communication & Journalism and National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ, course accreditation body), BU-NCTJ Academic Relationship Manager (2020-), https://www.nctj.com/
- NCTJ National Exams Centre co-ordinator , Southampton
- Internal Examiner in Literature for PhD thesis on Samuel Beckett (viva date: 14 December 2017), Southampton Solent University
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- BU Academic Lead, Literary Journalism Map and Website Project
- Judge, UK-wide Young Journalist's Award 2021
- Chair of judging panel: The Orwell Society/NUJ Young Journalist's Award 2022
- Critical Orwell conference: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/english/events/2022/critical-orwell.aspx, Murphy, Jaron, University of Bournemouth, UK, Why Orwell Still Matters: The Trust Crisis in Journalism in the Digital Age, 12 Apr 2022, Online
- Critical Orwell Conference, Why Orwell Still Matters: The Trust Crisis in Journalism in the Digital Age, 12 Apr 2022, University of Birmingham
- IAMCR Online 2020 [International Association for Media and Communication Research]. Journalism in a Digital Era: https://iamcr.org/node/13945. Journalism Research and Education Section — JRE: https://iamcr.org/tampere2020/abstract-books, p54. Abstract: https://iamcr.org/node/13450, Google News and Machine Gatekeepers: Algorithmic Personalisation, Filter Bubbles and Homogeneity in Online News Search [Bournemouth University: Daniel Jackson, Ryan Evans, Jaron Murphy, Einar Thorsen], 12 Jul 2020, Tampere University, Finland [online, international]
- AJE Virtual Summer Conference [Association for Journalism Education]: https://ajeuk.org/aje-2020-online-conference-watch-the-sessions-and-see-our-speakers-slides-here/, Collective Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the Covid-19 Crisis [Bournemouth University: Journalism Education Research Group], 19 Jun 2020, UK [online, international]
- The Trust Project Challenge ‘hackathon’ [Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University, https://thetrustproject.org/], Research Findings — Trust Indicators and Prototypes [Metropolitan vs Regional]: https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38181158, 29 Nov 2016, London [UK and international]
- Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2017)
- DPhil in English Language and Literature (Oxford University, 2014)
- Associate Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2013)
- MA in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2007)
- NQF4 in Project Management Foundations (2006)
- BA (Hons) in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2002)
- BA in English and Communication (majors with distinction in English, 2000)
- National Diploma in Journalism (cum laude, 1997)
- Dr Murphy appeared on the NCTJ list of 238 most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University. (2018)
- Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University.
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Associate, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Journalism Education Research Group, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/narrative-culture-community-research-centre
- The Orwell Society, Member, https://orwellsocietyblog.wordpress.com/home/
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @drjaronmurphy
- See p4 — Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists., https://www.nctj.com/downloadlibrary/A%20list%20of%20the%20most%20respected%20journalists%20as%20voted%20for%20by%20journalists.pdf
- Dr Jaron Murphy on judging panel for Young Journalist's Award UK., https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/nicholas-harris-wins-the-orwell-society-2021-young-journalists-award/
External Media and Press
- Young regional journalists urged to enter award with four-figure cash prize, HoldtheFrontPage.co.uk, 12 Oct 2022. https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2022/news/young-regional-journalists-urged-to-enter-award-with-four-figure-cash-prize/