Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Among several academic qualifications with distinction, Dr Jaron Murphy holds a DPhil in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford where he was a member of Merton College. He has extensive experience in journalism internationally, encompassing both print and digital news, mostly in senior management and editorial/production roles (with leadership activity extending to staff and student training). His professional achievements include national awards for courageous investigative and hard news journalism, although his reporting and editing duties have covered many different beats (including medical & health, business, crime, communities, and sports). In the UK in 2018, he appeared on the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University which asked journalists working in the UK and Ireland "which living journalist they felt most embodies the values of journalism that they respect and adhere to"...
Also see p4:
Dr Murphy is also a judge and academic-practitioner advisor for the Orwell Society's UK-wide Young Journalist's Award which is open to all journalism students and working journalists under 30. (The judging panel includes George Orwell's son and Patron of the Society, Richard Blair). The 2021 award has been successfully concluded and planning for the 2022 award is under way.
Dr Murphy's academic research has been interdisciplinary across journalism, literature, culture, and the arts. A number of his articles and essays offer fresh perspectives and insights into the works and lives of, and relation between, renowned 20th-century literary figures such as W.B. Yeats, George Orwell, T.S. Eliot and Wyndham Lewis — and feature images of Dr Murphy's discoveries in periodicals archives. Dr Murphy has also contributed to research on public (dis)trust in online news and on adjustments to journalism education amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dr Murphy's wide-ranging research, teaching and thesis supervision interests include: Romantic, Victorian and Modern literature and periodicals; Anglo-Irish literature; literary and journalism theory; the history of literature and journalism; literary journalism; post/colonial contexts and writing; literature and journalism produced under oppressive regimes; literature and journalism which tackle social injustice; instances of assault/imprisonment/killing of journalists and writers; and literary and journalism education and practice in a digital age of mis/disinformation and 'post-truth'.
At Bournemouth University, Dr Murphy is a member of the Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre as well as the Journalism Education Research Group.
He is also a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (UK).more
- Murphy, J., 2020. Menon, Orwell and the Yeats Fascism Debate. George Orwell Studies, Volume 5 (No. 1 2020), 20-38.
- Murphy, J., 2020. Book review: Lyra McKee Lost, Found, Remembered. Journalism, 22 (5), 1273-1275.
- Murphy, J., 2020. "Compassion as a Pedagogical Principle" in Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the COVID-19 Pandemic [BU JOURNALISM EDUCATION RESEARCH GROUP]. Digital Culture and Education.
- Bissell, A., Fowler-Watt, K., Phillips, M., Brine, D., Sunderland, M., Majin, G. and Murphy, J., 2020. Reflections on the shifting shape of journalism education in the Covid-19 pandemic. Digital Culture and Education.
- Murphy, J., 2019. Fictional Characters, Real Problems: The Search for Ethical Content in Literature. By Garry L. Hagberg (Ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. [REVIEW]. Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics, 42 (Spring 2019), 178-181.
- Murphy, J., 2019. T.S. Eliot's Dialectical Imagination, Jewel Spears Brooker (Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2018) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 85-90.
- Murphy, J., 2019. The Letters of T.S. Eliot, Volume 8: 1936-1938, Ed. John Haffenden (London: Faber & Faber, 2019) [REVIEW]. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 91-98.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “This Picture Caused a Rumpus”: Revisiting the T.S. Eliot Portrait’s New Lease of Life at the Durban Art Gallery, South Africa. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 8, 1-12.
- Murphy, J., 2018. The Great Spectacle: 250 Years of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition [REVIEW]. The British Art Journal, 93-95.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Acceptance, Rejection, Readmission”: T.S. Eliot Portrait Forms Part of a Special Exhibition at the Royal Academy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/REVIEW]. T.S. Eliot Society Exchanges newsletter, 4-5.
- Murphy, J., 2018. “Mr Eliot has Re-Discovered a Portrait of Himself”: Reframing Lewis’s Rejected Masterpiece in the 21st Century. The Journal of the T.S. Eliot Society, 69-94.
- Murphy, J., 2017. “Of Hunters and of Fishers”: A Covert Critique of Arnold’s Celtic Element in Yeats’s A Vision. Notes and Queries (Oxford University Press), 64 (4), 648-656.
- Murphy, J., 2017. Passion and Imagination: Yeats’s ‘Fundamental Agreement’ with Lewis at Phase 9 in the Great Wheel of A Vision. The Journal of Wyndham Lewis Studies, 7, 194-201.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Durban Art Gallery masterpiece features in spectacular exhibition in London [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWSPAPER ARTICLE, PRINT AND ONLINE]. Caxton Newspapers, Durban, South Africa [HIGHWAY MAIL, BEREA MAIL, NORTHGLEN NEWS]. Available from: https://bereamail.co.za/137691/durban-art-gallery-masterpiece-features-spectacular-exhibition-london/.
- Murphy, J., 2018. Literature, Art, and a Media Frenzy [RESEARCH-RELATED NEWS/Q&A ARTICLE]. Wyndham Lewis Society. Available from: http://www.wyndhamlewis.org/news?start=5.
- Murphy, J., 2016. "Andy" [TRUST PROJECT NEWS/PROTOTYPES RESEARCH INTERVIEW; JOURNALISM RESEARCH GROUP; AMONG "BRITISH NEWS READER INTERVIEWS"]. https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://thetrustproject.org/. Available from: https://thetrustproject.org/british-news-reader-interviews/.
- Mr Maynard Manyowa. The Government, the Internet, and the Press: Inside Zimbabwe's Information War
Profile of Teaching PG
- Investigative Journalism — Unit Leader, MA Multimedia Journalism
Profile of Teaching UG
- Journalism and Society (formerly Media, Journalism and Society) — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- Dissertations — Tutor and Supervisor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 6
- Media: Messages and Meanings — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media, Level 5
- Professional Placement — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 6
- Academic Advisor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- Level Tutor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 5
- NCTJ units and exams — Tutor, BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism; Levels 4, 5 and 6
- Introduction to Communication Theory — Unit Leader, BA (Hons) Communication and Media, Level 4
- Level Tutor — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism, Level 4
- PATHWAY LEADER — BA (Hons) Multimedia Journalism; Levels 4, 5 and 6
- Bournemouth University (BU) Department of Communication & Journalism and National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ, course accreditation body), BU-NCTJ Academic Relationship Manager (2020-), https://www.nctj.com/
- NCTJ National Exams Centre co-ordinator , Southampton
- Internal Examiner in Literature for PhD thesis on Samuel Beckett (viva date: 14 December 2017), Southampton Solent University
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- BU Academic Lead, Literary Journalism Map and Website Project: a partnership with Dutch journalist Roderick Nieuwenhuis to 'rehome' and develop The Times Literary Supplement (TLS) online map of writers' homes in the UK in collaboration with students, academics, communities and organisations. https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/literary-map-writers-homes/
- Judge and academic-practitioner advisor for the Orwell Society's UK-wide Young Journalist's Award. The judging panel includes George Orwell's son and Patron of the Orwell Society, Richard Blair. Open to all journalism students and working journalists under 30. Prize total: £3000. SEE: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/orwell-society-journalism-bursary-2020/ AND: https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/nicholas-harris-wins-the-orwell-society-2021-young-journalists-award/
- IAMCR Online 2020 [International Association for Media and Communication Research]. Journalism in a Digital Era: https://iamcr.org/node/13945. Journalism Research and Education Section — JRE: https://iamcr.org/tampere2020/abstract-books, p54. Abstract: https://iamcr.org/node/13450, Google News and Machine Gatekeepers: Algorithmic Personalisation, Filter Bubbles and Homogeneity in Online News Search [Bournemouth University: Daniel Jackson, Ryan Evans, Jaron Murphy, Einar Thorsen], 12 Jul 2020, Tampere University, Finland [online, international]
- AJE Virtual Summer Conference [Association for Journalism Education]: https://ajeuk.org/aje-2020-online-conference-watch-the-sessions-and-see-our-speakers-slides-here/, Collective Reflections on the Shifting Shape of Journalism Education in the Covid-19 Crisis [Bournemouth University: Journalism Education Research Group], 19 Jun 2020, UK [online, international]
- The Trust Project Challenge ‘hackathon’ [Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University, https://thetrustproject.org/], Research Findings — Trust Indicators and Prototypes [Metropolitan vs Regional]: https://thetrustproject.org/user-interviews-research-and-reports/, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38181158, 29 Nov 2016, London [UK and international]
- Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2017)
- DPhil in English Language and Literature (Oxford University, 2014)
- Associate Fellow in Higher Education Teaching (HEA, 2013)
- MA in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2007)
- NQF4 in Project Management Foundations (2006)
- BA (Hons) in English Language and Literature (summa cum laude, 2002)
- BA in English and Communication (majors with distinction in English, 2000)
- National Diploma in Journalism (cum laude, 1997)
- Centre for Excellence in Media Practice, Associate, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Journalism Education Research Group, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/centre-excellence-media-practice
- Narrative, Culture and Community Research Centre, Member, https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/research/centres-institutes/narrative-culture-community-research-centre
- The Orwell Society, Member, https://orwellsocietyblog.wordpress.com/home/
Social Media Links
- Twitter, @drjaronmurphy
- See p4 — Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists., https://www.nctj.com/downloadlibrary/A%20list%20of%20the%20most%20respected%20journalists%20as%20voted%20for%20by%20journalists.pdf
- Dr Jaron Murphy on judging panel for Young Journalist's Award UK., https://orwellsociety.com/bursary/nicholas-harris-wins-the-orwell-society-2021-young-journalists-award/
- Dr Jaron Murphy appears on NCTJ list of most respected journalists following research by Cardiff University., https://www.nctj.com/latestnews/nctj-publishes-list-of-most-respected-journalists