Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Publications Professional activities Grants
Dr Karen Fowler-Watt is a Senior Principal Academic and formerly Head of the School of Journalism, English and Communication (2007-2018). She is research theme lead for journalism education in the Centre for Excellence in Media Practice (CEMP). As a BBC journalist, she worked in Radio 4 News and Current Affairs as an output editor on The World at One and PM and The World this Weekend, Karen made documentaries for File on 4 and she was a field producer in the Middle East, covering the Gulf Crisis and War in 1990/1 and producing news output from Moscow, Europe, Northern Ireland and the United States, with a stint as Washington bureau producer.
Karen has a BA and an MA in History from the University of Cambridge. After graduating from Cambridge, she was awarded a Harkness Fellowship to study political theory in the School of Government and Politics at Harvard University, where she also taught UG students history and literature and worked for Reuters and Newsweek... Her doctorate entitled, The Storytellers tell Their Stories: The Journalist as Educator was awarded by the University of Southampton in 2013. She is co-editor (with Professor Stuart Allan) of Journalism: New Challenges, which brings together contributions from BU colleagues and industry practitioners. In 2019, 'New Journalisms: Rethinking Practice, Theory and Pedagogy' (co-edited with Stephen Jukes) will be published by Routledge. Karen retains close links with industry, organising a number of conferences at BU on reporting conflict, news values and the NCTJ Journalism Skills Conference (2013). She speaks on panels nationally and internationally debating journalism ethics, trauma and journalism education. most recently in Leipzig at ECPMF and the Salzburg Media Academy. Engaged in a pedagogic project with Global Voices, her research interests cover reporting conflict, autobiographical journalism, trauma, ethics, storytelling and marginalised voices.more
Research papers for conferences based on recent doctoral thesis: The Storytellers tell Their Stories: The Journalist as Educator -- autobiographical journalism and the theory/practice blend in journalism education. Editorial leadership (book chapter) and edited collection Journalism:New Challenges.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2018. Women War Correspondents: From the Frontline with Empathy. BSA Auto/Biography Yearbook.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. The Storytellers Tell Their Stories: using stories of lived experience in journalism education. Media Education Research Journal.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2016. Journalism New Challenges: a shop window for practitioner research. Media Education Research Journal.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2015. Professional Perspectives: placing lived experience at the heart of journalism education. Journalism Education.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2014. Epiphanies and the Autobiographical Journalist. BSA Auto/Biography Yearbook.
- Jukes, S.A. and Fowler-Watt, K., 2019. New Journalisms: rethinking practice theory and pedagogy. Routledge.
- Journalism: New Challenges. Centre for Journalism & Communication Research.
- Journalism: New Challenges. Poole, England: CJCR: Centre for Journalism & Communication Research, Bournemouth University.
- Mihailidis, P. and Gerodimos, R., 2019. Reimagining engagement for an era of distrust. In: Jukes, S. and Fowler-Watt, K., eds. New Journalisms: Rethinking Practice, Theory and Pedagogy. London: Routledge.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2013. Editorial Leadership in the Newsroom. Journalism:New Challenges. CJCR.
- Fowler-Watt, K. and Jukes, S., 2017. Cross cultural student journalism exchange - Covering the 2016 U.S. conventions and election. In: Media Education Summit 2017 15-17 June 2017 Segovia, Spain.
- Jukes, S. and Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. The Need for Trauma Awareness in Journalism Education. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 Rome.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Telling the Stories of Others. In: Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change: Voices Against Extremism 16 July-5 August 2017 Salzburg, Austria.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Reporting marginalised voices as a route to self –reflection in journalism education. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 Rome.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Global Voices in Journalism Education. In: AJE Winter Conference 20 January 2017 University of Westminster, London.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2016. The Storytellers Tell Their Stories: using stories of lived experience in journalism education. In: Media Education Summit 20-21 November 2015 Boston, MA.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2014. Epiphanies and the Autobiographical Journalist. In: BSA Christmas Conference December 2013 British Library, London.
- Fowler-Watt, 2016. Journalism Education. Association of Journalism Education.
- Jo Royale
- Andrew Bissell. Journalism Education
- Nicole Blanchett - Neheli. News by numbers: How analytics are changing journalism
Profile of Teaching PG
- Narrating Identities
- MA Multimedia Journalism - Documentary Journalism
Profile of Teaching UG
- Professional Perspectives; Broadcast Journalism;Multimedia Major Projects
- The Journalist as Creative Storyteller, Elevebakken Oslo January 2013
Journalists and the stories of others, Salzburg, Austria, 19 Jul 2016 more
Salzburg Media Academy for Global Change
Telling the Stories of Others, Salzburg Austria, 26 Jul 2017 more
Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change
Reimagining journalism education: restoring conne, Beirut, 14 Aug 2017 more
MDLAB17 at Lebanese American University, Beirut
- Media Literacy versus Fake News: Critical Thinking, Resilience and Civic Engagement (US Embassy, 01 Jan 2019). Awarded
- Children of the Revolution:: Animating their lives to promote reconciliation (HEFCE: Global Challenges Research Fund, 01 Jul 2018). Awarded
- E-Voices: Redressing Marginality (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Jan 2018). Awarded
- Press Gazette British Journalism Awards, Judge (2018-)
- Royal Television Society Awards, Judge (2017-)
- University of Essex, External Examiner (2016-2020)
- University of Central Lancashire, External Examiner (2015-)
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Board member (2007-), http://www.bjtc.org/
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Council Member
- Lead IPPM - one of 2 appointed by Vice Chancellor, IPPM
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Journalism, Media and Publishing at University
- Integration of Global Voices into journalism curricula
- Careers and HE advice in local schools; judge in local journalism competition;charity work
- MDLAB17, Reimagining journalism education: restoring connectivity and rebuilding trust, 07 Aug 2017, Beirut
- Media Education Summit 2017, Cross cultural student journalism exchange (covering the U.S. election), 15 Jun 2017, Segovia, Spain
- MA International Journalism and Hostile Environment Training, external reviewer. University of Ulster
- Strategic Academic Leadership, 01 Jan 2016
- Doctor of Education in Journalism Education (University of Southampton, 2013)
- MA in History (University of Cambridge, 1988)
- British Sociological Association Auto/Biography Study Group, Member (2013-),
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Board Member,
- National Council for Training of Journalists, Member,