Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
Publications Professional activities Grants
Dr Karen Fowler-Watt is Head of the School of Journalism, English and Communication. A former BBC journalist, who worked in Radio 4 News and Current Affairs as an output editor on The World at One and PM and The World this Weekend, Karen was a field producer in the Middle East, covering the Gulf Crisis and War in 1990/1 and producing news output from Moscow, Europe, Northern Ireland and the United States, with a stint as Washington bureau producer for Clinton’s US Presidential campaign. She joined the BBC as a graduate trainee working on You and Yours, File on Four, Today as well as in the Belfast newsroom.
Karen has a BA and an MA in History from the University of Cambridge. After graduating from Cambridge, she was awarded a Harkness Fellowship to study as a postgraduate student in the School of Government and Politics at Harvard University, where she also worked as a stringer for Reuters and Newsweek. In 2013, Karen was awarded her doctorate entitled, The Storytellers tell Their Stories: The Journalist as Educator by the University of Southampton...
She is co-editor (with Professor Stuart Allan) of Journalism: New Challenges, which brings together contributions from BU colleagues and industry practitioners. Karen retains close links with the BBC College of Journalism and in 2010 she peer reviewed its Editorial leadership course. She has organised a number of conferences at BU on reporting conflict, news values and current affairs, as well as the NCTJ Journalism Skills Conference in 2013. She has represented BU on national committees and panels debating journalism ethics post-Leveson. Karen is a board member of the BJTC and on the One World Media steering group. She works with the Salzburg Media Academy and is interested in reporting conflict, autobiographical journalism and digital storytelling, as well as reporting marginalised voices.more
Research papers for conferences based on recent doctoral thesis: The Storytellers tell Their Stories: The Journalist as Educator -- autobiographical journalism and the theory/practice blend in journalism education. Editorial leadership (book chapter) and edited collection Journalism:New Challenges.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2018. Women War Correspondents: From the Frontline with Empathy. BSA Auto/Biography Yearbook.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. The Storytellers Tell Their Stories: using stories of lived experience in journalism education. Media Education Research Journal.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2016. Journalism New Challenges: a shop window for practitioner research. Media Education Research Journal.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2015. Professional Perspectives: placing lived experience at the heart of journalism education. Journalism Education.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2014. Epiphanies and the Autobiographical Journalist. BSA Auto/Biography Yearbook.
- Jukes, S.A. and Fowler-Watt, K., 2019. New Journalisms: rethinking practice theory and pedagogy. Routledge.
- Journalism: New Challenges. Poole, England: CJCR: Centre for Journalism & Communication Research, Bournemouth University.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2013. Editorial Leadership in the Newsroom. Journalism:New Challenges. CJCR.
- Fowler-Watt, K. and Jukes, S., 2017. Cross cultural student journalism exchange - Covering the 2016 U.S. conventions and election. In: Media Education Summit 2017 15-17 June 2017 Segovia, Spain.
- Jukes, S. and Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. The Need for Trauma Awareness in Journalism Education. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 Rome.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Telling the Stories of Others. In: Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change: Voices Against Extremism 16 July-5 August 2017 Salzburg, Austria.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Reporting marginalised voices as a route to self –reflection in journalism education. In: Media Education Summit 4-5 November 2016 Rome.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2017. Global Voices in Journalism Education. In: AJE Winter Conference 20 January 2017 University of Westminster, London.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2016. The Storytellers Tell Their Stories: using stories of lived experience in journalism education. In: Media Education Summit 20-21 November 2015 Boston, MA.
- Fowler-Watt, K., 2014. Epiphanies and the Autobiographical Journalist. In: BSA Christmas Conference December 2013 British Library, London.
- Fowler-Watt, 2016. Journalism Education. Association of Journalism Education.
- Jo Royale
- Andrew Bissell. Journalism Education
- Nicole Blanchett - Neheli. News by numbers: How analytics are changing journalism
Profile of Teaching PG
- Narrating Identities
- MA Multimedia Journalism - Documentary Journalism
Profile of Teaching UG
- Professional Perspectives; Broadcast Journalism;Multimedia Major Projects
- The Journalist as Creative Storyteller, Elevebakken Oslo January 2013
Journalists and the stories of others, Salzburg, Austria, 19 Jul 2016 more
Salzburg Media Academy for Global Change
Telling the Stories of Others, Salzburg Austria, 26 Jul 2017 more
Salzburg Academy on Media and Global Change
Reimagining journalism education: restoring conne, Beirut, 14 Aug 2017 more
MDLAB17 at Lebanese American University, Beirut
- E-Voices: Redressing Marginality (Arts and Humanities Research Council, 01 Jan 2018). Awarded
- Press Gazette British Journalism Awards, Judge (2018-)
- Royal Television Society Awards, Judge (2017-)
- University of Essex, External Examiner (2016-2020)
- University of Central Lancashire, External Examiner (2015-)
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Board member (2007-), http://www.bjtc.org/
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Council Member
- Lead IPPM - one of 2 appointed by Vice Chancellor, IPPM
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Journalism, Media and Publishing at University
- Integration of Global Voices into journalism curricula
- Careers and HE advice in local schools; judge in local journalism competition;charity work
- Media Education Summit 2017, Cross cultural student journalism exchange (covering the U.S. election), 15 Jun 2017, Segovia, Spain
- MDLAB17, Reimagining journalism education: restoring connectivity and rebuilding trust, 07 Aug 2017, Beirut
- MA International Journalism and Hostile Environment Training, external reviewer. University of Ulster
- Strategic Academic Leadership, 01 Jan 2016
- Doctor of Education in Journalism Education (University of Southampton, 2013)
- MA in History (University of Cambridge, 1988)
- Broadcast Journalism Training Council, Board Member,
- National Council for Training of Journalists, Member,