Dr Christopher Miles
- 01202 961986
- cjmiles at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Marketing Communications
- Weymouth House W420, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
"Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation"
Responsible consumption and production
"Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns"
Peace, justice and strong institutions
"Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels"
- Grigore, G., Molesworth, M., Miles, C. and Glozer, S., 2021. (Un)resolving digital technology paradoxes through the rhetoric of balance. ORGANIZATION, 28 (1), 186-207.
- Surowiec, P. and Miles, C., 2021. The populist style and public diplomacy: kayfabe as performative agonism in Trump's Twitter posts. PUBLIC RELATIONS INQUIRY, 10 (1), 5-30.
- Miles, C., 2020. Intermediaries and Personas: A radical rhetorical reading of marketing work. Journal of Persona Studies, 6 (1), 72-82.
- Brown, S., Hackley, C., Hunt, S.D., Marsh, C., O Shaughnessy, N., Phillips, B.J., Tonks, D., Miles, C. and Nilsson, T., 2018. Marketing (as) Rhetoric: paradigms, provocations, and perspectives. Journal of Marketing Management, 34 (15-16), 1336-1378.
- Miles, C. and Nilsson, T., 2018. Marketing (as) rhetoric: an introduction. JOURNAL OF MARKETING MANAGEMENT, 34 (15-16), 1259-1271.
- Miles, C., 2015. Ericksonian therapy as a grounding for a theory of persuasive marketing dialogue. MARKETING THEORY, 15 (1), 95-111.
- Miles, C., 2014. The rhetoric of managed contagion Metaphor and agency in the discourse of viral marketing. MARKETING THEORY, 14 (1), 3-18.
- Miles, C., 2014. Rhetoric and the foundation of the Service-Dominant Logic. JOURNAL OF ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE MANAGEMENT, 27 (5), 744-755.
- Ibrahim, Y. and Miles, C., 2013. Customised Communication and the Mouse Click Generation: Between Empowerment and Vulnerability. Knowledge Management: An International Journal, 12 (4), 1-11.
- Miles, C. and Ibrahim, Y., 2013. Deconstructing the meerkat: fabular anthropomorphism, popular culture, and the market. Journal of Marketing Management, 29 (15/16), 1862-1880.
- Miles, C., 2013. Persuasion, marketing communication, and the metaphor of magic. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MARKETING, 47 (11-12), 2002-2019.
- Miles, C., 2009. Response: A Quick Game of Rho-Sham-Bo with the Four Horsemen of the Apophasis. RHETORIC SOCIETY QUARTERLY, 39 (4), 387-392.
- Miles, C., 2008. Occult Retraction: Cornelius Agrippa and the Paradox of Magical Language. RHETORIC SOCIETY QUARTERLY, 38 (4), 433-456.
- Miles, C., 2007. A cybernetic communication model for advertising. Marketing Theory, 7 (4), 307-334.
- Miles, C., 2007. Modern occult rhetoric: Mass media and the drama of secrecy in the twentieth century. POMEGRANATE, 9 (2), 192-194.
- Miles, C., 2007. The occult mind: Magic in theory and practice. POMEGRANATE, 9 (2), 198-199.
- Miles, C., 2006. The Excluded Environment: Preliminary remarks towards a systems theory of literature. Cybernetics and Human Knowing: a journal of second order cybernetics, autopoiesis and cyber-semiotics, 13 (1), 19-33.
- Miles, C., 2006. Journey into the Neither-Neither: Austin Osman Spare and the Construction of a Shamanic Identity. The Pomegranate: the international journal of Pagan studies, 8 (1), 54-83.
- Miles, C., 2004. The prospect and schizogenesis: A Batesonian perspective on the implications of the double-bind in advertising messages. Marketing Theory, 4 (4), 267-286.
- Miles, C., 2018. Marketing, Rhetoric and Control The Magical Foundations of Marketing Theory.
- Miles, C., 2010. Interactive Marketing Revolution or Rhetoric?. Routledge.
- Miles, C., 2023. Visual rhetoric and the analysis of persuasive political communication. In: Lilleker, D. and Veneti, A., eds. Research Handbook on Visual Politics. Edward Elgar, 2-13.
- Miles, C., 2020. The Manufacturing of Uncertainty in Public Diplomacy: A Rhetorical Approach. In: Surowiec, P. and Manor, I., eds. Public Diplomacy and the Politics of Uncertainty. Springer Nature, 145-170.
- Miles, C., 2019. Rhetorical Methods and Metaphor in Viral Propaganda. In: Baines, P., O'Shaughnessy, N. and Snow, N., eds. The SAGE Handbook of Propaganda. London: Sage.
- Miles, C., 2018. Service-Dominant Logic: The Evolution of a Universal Marketing Rhetoric. In: Tadajewski, M., Higgins, M., Denegri-Knott, J. and Varman, R., eds. The Routledge Companion to Critical Marketing. London: Routledge, 241-258.
- Miles, C., 2017. The Rhetoric of Co-Creation. In: Siegert, G., von Rimscha, M.B. and Grubenmann, S., eds. Commercial communication in the digital age: information or disinformation?. Berlin: de Gruyter, 209-226.
- Miles, C., 2016. Control and the Rhetoric of Interactivity in Contemporary Advertising Theory and Practice. In: Hamilton, J., Bodle, R. and Korin, E., eds. Explorations in Critical Studies of Advertising. London: Routledge.
- Miles, C., 2010. From Gene to Meme: the rhetoric of thought contagion in Koji Suzuki's 'Ringu' cycle. In: Lacefield, K., ed. The Scary Screen: Media Anxiety in 'The Ring'. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 63-78.
- Miles, C. and Surowiec, P., 2019. Public Diplomacy Imploded: Populist Cultural Strategies for the Digital Age. University of Southern California Center on Public Diplomacy. Available from: https://www.uscpublicdiplomacy.org/blog/public-diplomacy-imploded-populist-cultural-strategies-digital-age.
- Miles, C. and Surowiec, P., 2019. Simulating Carnage: When Kayfabe Meets Public Diplomacy. University of Southern California Center on Public Diplomacy. Available from: https://www.uscpublicdiplomacy.org/blog/simulating-carnage-when-kayfabe-meets-public-diplomacy.
- Miles, C. and Surowiec, P., 2019. What Can Cultural Theory Tell Us About Trump’s Populist Public Diplomacy the Digital Age?. Exploring Digital Diplomacy. Available from: https://digdipblog.com/2019/02/28/what-can-cultural-theory-tell-us-about-trumps-populist-public-diplomacy-the-digital-age/.
- Miles, C., 2008. Review of Lehmann et al.’s 'The Concept of the Network Society:Post-Ontological Reflections' (Frederiksberg: SamfundslitteraturPress, 2007). Global Fusion Consortium. Published.
- Miles, C., 2007. Review of Joshua Gunn’s Modern Occult Rhetoric: Mass Media and the Drama of Secrecy in the Twentieth Century (Tuscaloosa: The University of Alabama Press, 2005). Equinox Publishing. Published.
- Miles, C., 2007. Review of Christopher I. Lehrich’s The Occult Mind: Magic in Theory and Practice (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2007). Equinox Publishing. Published.
- Daniel Hills. Individual emotional state as a trigger for online advertising placement
- Muhammad Riaz. The Negotiation of the Marketing Function by Marketing Managers in UK Islamic Banks: a phenomenological investigation
- Gulnara Karimova, 2010. The Application of Bakhtinian Concepts to Interactive Advertising
- Rutherford. The ‘unanticipable’ act of photography -- PhD by practice
- Muhammad Riaz, 2022. Role-related Tensions in The Lived Experiences of Managers with a Marketing Function (MMFs) in Islamic Banks in the UK: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis, (Completed)
- Rutherford. The Self as Auteur: An interpretative phenomenological investigation of Self-reflective photography, (In progress)
- Gulnara Karimova, 2010. The Application of Bakhtinian Concepts to Interactive Advertising, (Completed)
Profile of Teaching PG
- Creative Direction
- Marketing and PR for Writers
Profile of Teaching UG
- Decoding Advertisements
- Academic Dissertation Or Consultancy Dissertation (CMC) (070419)
- Creative Direction & Copywriting
- Contemporary Debates in Marketing Communication
- Content Creation
`Rhetorical Analysis for Exploring Consumer..., Online, 03 Feb 2023 more
`Rhetorical Analysis for Exploring Consumer, Marketer, and Researcher Discourse’: 2 hour online session delivered as part of the Research Innovation Workshops at the Center for Consumer Research, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 3rd February 2023.
- Westburn Publishers/Taylor & Francis, Associate Editor (2018-)
- Marketing Theory (journal published by Sage), Member of the editorial board (2004-), https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/journal/marketing-theory; Marketing Theory
- European Management Review, Anonymous peer review, 02 Jul 2018
- Journal of Marketing Management (10711988), Anonymous peer review, 02 Nov 2015
- European Journal of Marketing, Anonymous peer review, 01 Jan 2014
- Marketing Theory: an international review, Anonymous peer review, 15 Dec 2004
- Reclaiming Authenticity in Communication, Online Diplomatic Participation on YouTube: An Exploratory Study of Users, 25 May 2023, Toronto, Canada
- The Language of Fake News, Rhetorical Strategies of Resistance to Fake News: An Analysis of Beau of the Fifth Column’s YouTube Channel., 16 May 2023, Senate House, University of London
- Complexity, hybridity, liminality: Challenges of researching contemporary promotional cultures, Too ‘public’ for public diplomacy? U.S. hyper-presidency, Kayfabe, and digitalised populism in international relations, 21 Feb 2020, London School of Economics and Political Science, London WC2A 2AE
- 8th International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business: Corporate responsibility, Sustainability & Markets, (Un)Resolving the Dark Side of Digital Technologies Through the Rhetoric of Balance, 24 Oct 2019, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
- International Persona Studies Conference, Intermediaries and Personae: A radical rhetorical reading of marketing work, 25 Jun 2019, Newcastle University
- Wabi-sabi (侘寂): Imperfection, incompleteness and impermanence in organizational life, A Crack in the Sales Meeting: A Sophist(ic) Approach to Managerial Work, 17 Aug 2018, Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan
- "Rhetorics of Unity and Division" The Sixth 'Rhetoric in Society' Conference of the Rhetoric Society of Europe, Practitioners of Difference: Marketing as Rhetoric, 03 Jul 2017, University of East Anglia, Norwich, U.K.
- 1st International Symposium on Marketing (as) Rhetoric, Sophism and the Middle Position of the Marketer, 14 Jun 2017, Bournemouth University
- Fellow (HEA, 2012)
- International Society for the History of Rhetoric, Member (2017-), https://associationdatabase.com/aws/ISHR/pt/sp/Home_Page
- Academy of Marketing, Member (2015-),
- International Communication Association, Member (2015-),
- Rhetoric Society of America, International Member (2015-),