Dr Constantina Panourgia
- 01202 961722
- cpanourgia at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic in Psychology
- Poole House P120, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I graduated from the University of Crete (Greece) with a BSc (Hons) in Psychology in 2001. For two years I worked as a psychologist and then I obtained a MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health (2004) from King’s College (University of London). I went on to work as a mental health worker in primary schools and research assistant before studying for a PhD in Psychology (completed in 2013) at the Institute of Education (University of London).
Since 2009, I have been teaching in Higher Education Institutions (Institute of Education, University of Chichester). Before moving to Bournemouth University (January 2014), I worked for one and a half years as a postdoctoral research fellow (University of Portsmouth) on an EEF (Education Endowment Fund) project examining the effect of Implicit Theories of Intelligence in children’s academic achievement.
My previous research mainly focused on the effects of socioeconomic disadvantage and adverse life events on children’s and adolescent’s psychological adjustment. I am interested in identifying protective factors underlying the relationship between risk and resilience and uncovering the processes through which children and adolescents acquire the capacity for resilience. The goal of my research is to provide researchers, schools and practitioners with a helpful tool to identify at-risk children and youth and to implement the most suitable preventions and interventions that aim to promote positive outcomes and development.
Currently, with colleagues from BU, University of Hertfordshire, and Lyon Catholic University, I am working on a mixed-method project which investigates how vicarious traumatisation and perceived stress affected psychology practitioners who performed their duties during and after the lockdown period and the factors that enhanced their resilient features.
Also, in collaboration with Dr Julie Kirkby, I am working on a project that explores the role of support from colleagues and senior management in school teachers' wellbeing during the pandemic.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDGs:
Good health and well-being
"Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages"
"Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all"
"Reduce inequality within and among countries"
Partnership for the Goals
"Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development"
- Taylor, Z., Yankouskaya, A. and Panourgia, C., 2023. Social media use, loneliness and psychological distress in emerging adults. Behaviour and Information Technology.
- Panourgia, C., Wezyk, A., Ventouris, A., Comoretto, A., Taylor, Z. and Yankouskaya, A., 2022. Individual factors in the relationship between stress and resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic. J Health Psychol, 27 (11), 2613-2631.
- Keyes, J., Yankouskaya, A. and Panourgia, C., 2022. Self-compassion, coping strategies and gender differences in psychology, counselling and psychotherapy practitioners during COVID-19: Lessons learnt. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research.
- Ventouris, A., Panourgia, C. and Hodge, S., 2021. Teachers’ perceptions of the impact of technology on children and young people's emotions and behaviours. International Journal of Educational Research Open, 2 (2).
- Aliche, C.J., Ifeagwazi, C.M., Yankouskaya, A., Comoretto, A., Wezyk, A., Ventouris, A. and Panourgia, C., 2020. Post-traumatic stress disorder and depressive symptoms following a Herdsmen attack: The role of life meaning in mediating trait mindfulness. Stress and Health.
- Panourgia, K., Ventouris, A., Wezyk, A., Yankouskaya, A., Comoretto, A. and Taylor, Z., 2020. COVID-19: Vicarious traumatisation and resilience in Mental Health Psychology Practitioners.
- Panourgia, C. and Comoretto, A., 2017. Do cognitive distortions explain the longitudinal relationship between life adversity and emotional and behavioural problems in secondary school children? Stress and Health, 33 (5), 590-599.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2014. Negative automatic thoughts and emotional and behavioural problems in adolescence. Child Adolesc Ment Health, 19 (1), 46-51.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2014. Negative automatic thoughts and emotional and behavioural problems in adolescence. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 19 (1), 45-51.
- Flouri, E., Mavroveli, S. and Panourgia, C., 2013. The role of general cognitive ability in moderating the relation of adverse life events to emotional and behavioural problems. Br J Psychol, 104 (1), 130-139.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2012. The role of nonverbal cognitive ability in the association of adverse life events with dysfunctional attitudes and hopelessness in adolescence. Arch Psychiatr Nurs, 26 (5), 411-419.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2011. Adverse life events and emotional and behavioral problems in adolescence: the role of non-verbal cognitive ability and negative cognitive errors. J Abnorm Child Psychol, 39 (5), 695-709.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2011. Gender differences in the pathway from adverse life events to adolescent emotional and behavioural problems via negative cognitive errors. Br J Dev Psychol, 29 (Pt 2), 234-252.
- Panourgia, C. and Taylor, J., 2019. Let’s Talk Technology with Boys. In: BERA Researching Education and Mental Health: Where are we now? 12 July 2019 University of West London.
- Flouri, E., Moulton, V. and Panourgia, C., 2012. MCS data note: Coding the aspirations of children at age 7 in the Millennium Cohort Study.. London: Centre for Longitudinal Studies.
- Flouri, E. and Panourgia, C., 2012. Do primary school children’s career aspirations matter? The relationship between family poverty, career aspirations and emotional and behavioural problems.. London: Centre for Longitudinal Studies.
Profile of Teaching UG
- Developmental Psychology (Level I, Unit Leader)
- Educational Psychology (Level H, Unit Leader)
- Final Year Project Supervision
- Preventing gambling-related harms among secondary school aged children: evaluation and development of school-based training materials (EPIC RISK Management & BU, 08 Jan 2024). In Progress
- Interventions, practices and systems to support children and young people at risk of harm: A scoping review. (GambleAware, 31 May 2023). In Progress
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility Award (University of Perugia, Italy) (Erasmus, 14 May 2023). Completed
- Resilience among counsellors working in trauma informed settings (BU QR-fund, 18 Feb 2023). Completed
- Understanding resilience in mental health workers during the COVID-19 pandemic (follow-up) (BU QR-fund, 01 Nov 2021). Completed
- Exploring social media influencing: role in and input to the Digital Resilience Framework and Digital Citizenship agenda (Bournemouth University Research Impact Funding, 11 Sep 2020). Completed
- Teachers’ perceptions of the impact of technology on children and young people’s development (BU QR-fund, 01 May 2020). Completed
- Understanding resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic (BU QR-fund, 01 May 2020). Completed
- The impacts of technology on children and young people (BU QR-fund, 30 Apr 2019). Completed
- Richmond University, The American University in London, External Examiner (2019-2022)
- UCL, Institute of Education, External Scrutineer (2017)
- UEL, External adviser (2015-)
- Programme Leader, BSc in Psychology with Forensic Investigation
- Year 3 Tutor (2019-2022), BSc in Psychology
- Member, Athena SWAN
- Year 2 Tutor (2014-2016), BSc in Psychology
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Workshop for teachers (15 Jul 2019)
- Response to an inquiry for evidence (01 Jul 2019)
- Young researchers wanted! Hurry up and sign up! (26 Jun 2016)
- Careers' week talk
- BPS Conference 2021: Positive Adaptations: Psychological Strengths, Risk and resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic., 01 Jul 2021, virtual
- International Reseach Day, Understanding resilience in psychology practitioners during the Covid-19 pandemic., 22 Jan 2021, Lyon, France
- International Research Day, Teachers’ perceptions of the impact of technology on children and young people’s emotions and behaviours, 22 Jan 2021, Lyon, France
- International Research Week, Life Adversity & Psychological Resilience in Children and Young people, 14 Jan 2020, Lyon, France
- International Research Week, Poverty in Childhood and its Effects on Development, 14 Jan 2020, Lyon, France
- European Association for Developmental Psychology, Member (2019-),
- The Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2019-),
- British Educational Research Association, Member,
- Society for Educational Studies, Member,
- The British Psychological Society, Member,