Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
I completed my BSc (Hons) in Psychology from the University of Warwick in 2001. I then went on to complete an MSc in Health Psychology and a PhD in Health Psychology Research and Professional Practice at the University of Southampton. My PhD research involved testing the effect of a written emotional disclosure intervention on distress and quality of life in women with ovarian cancer and their partners.
After my PhD, I worked at the University of Sheffield on a Cancer Research UK funded grant exploring the impact of sperm banking before cancer treatment on immediate and longer-term quality of life. I then returned to Southampton, where I was employed on a HTA funded grant entitled 'BREATHE: Breathing Retraining for Asthma Trial of Home Exercises. This involved developing a booklet and DVD for use in a trial of breathing training, which I qualitatively piloted on people with asthma.
I was appointed to a mixed academic post at Southampton in 2012, and promoted to Lecturer in May 2013. I joined the university in September 2014...
I am a Chartered Pschologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society, and registered as a Health Psychologist with the Health Professions Council. I am listed on the British Psychological Society Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors, which means I am qualified to supervise professional doctorates in Health Psychology.more
My research focuses on the impact of chronic illness (particularly cancer and asthma) on quality of life in both patients and their partners/ families, and the development of interventions to improve quality of life in these conditions, including web-based interventions. I use both qualitative and quantitative methods to achieve these aims. I am also interested in exploring the ways in which people use internet-based interventions. I am currently looking for PhD students to supervise in these areas.
Current projects I am involved in are as follows:
PROACTIVE: This is an intervention for men diagnosed with prostate cancer being managed by active surveillance, which consists of three group-based sessions supplemented by a website, in a randomized controlled feasibility trial. This work is being carried out in conjunction with colleagues at the University of Southampton. MOVA: Mindfulness in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer - A Feasibility Study This project looks at the effects of a group-based mindfulness programme on mental health and wellbeing in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer.
- Bruton, A., Arden-Close, E. et al., 2018. Physiotherapy breathing retraining for asthma: a randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, 6 (1), 19-28.
- Arden-Close, E., Yardley, L., Kirby, S., Thomas, M. and Bruton, A., 2017. Patients' experiences of breathing retraining for asthma: A qualitative process analysis of participants in the intervention arms of the BREATHE trial. npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine, 27 (1).
- Miles, C., Arden-Close, E., Thomas, M., Bruton, A., Yardley, L., Hankins, M. and Kirby, S.E., 2017. Barriers and facilitators of effective self-management in asthma: Systematic review and thematic synthesis of patient and healthcare professional views. npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine, 27 (1).
- Thomas, M., Arden-Close, E. et al., 2017. A randomised controlled study of the effectiveness of breathing retraining exercises taught by a physiotherapist either by instructional DVD or in face-to-face sessions in the management of asthma in adults. Health Technology Assessment, 21 (53), 1-161.
- Arden-Close, E. and McGrath, N., 2017. Health behaviour change interventions for couples: A systematic review. British Journal of Health Psychology, 22 (2), 215-237.
- Morrison, L., Arden-Close, E., Bradbury, K., Smith, E., Michaelides, D., Hargood, C., Weal, M., Little, P. and Yardley, L., 2015. How does usage of a weight-management intervention vary by context? The story of POWeR. European Health Psychologist, 17 (S).
- Arden-Close, E., Smith, E., Bradbury, K., Morrison, L., Dennison, L., Michaelides, D. and Yardley, L., 2015. A visualisation tool to analyse usage of web-based interventions: The example of Positive Online Weight Reduction (POWeR). Journal of Medical Internet Research Human Factors.
- Yardley, L., Ainsworth, B., Arden-Close, E. and Muller, I., 2015. The person-based approach to enhancing the acceptability and feasibility of interventions. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 1 (1).
- Pacey, A.A., Merrick, H., Arden-Close, E., Morris, K., Tomlinson, M., Rowe, R. and Eiser, C., 2014. How do men in the United Kingdom decide to dispose of banked sperm following cancer treatment? Hum Fertil (Camb), 17 (4), 285-288.
- Eiser, C., Merrick, H., Arden-Close, E., Morris, K., Rowe, R. and Pacey, A.A., 2014. Why don't some men with banked sperm respond to letters about their stored samples? Hum Fertil (Camb), 17 (4), 278-284.
- Yardley, L., Arden-Close, E.J. et al., 2014. Randomised controlled feasibility trial of a web-based weight management intervention with nurse support for obese patients in primary care. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 11, 67.
- Bradbury, K., Watts, S., Arden-Close, E., Yardley, L. and Lewith, G., 2014. Developing digital interventions: a methodological guide. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2014, 561320.
- Arden-Close, E., Teasdale, E., Tonkin-Crine, S., Pitre, N., Stafford-Watson, M., Gibson, D., Bruton, A., Thomas, M. and Yardley, L., 2013. Patients' perceptions of the potential of breathing training for asthma: a qualitative study. Prim Care Respir J, 22 (4), 449-453.
- Yardley, L., Arden-Close, E. et al., 2013. Evaluation of a web-based intervention to reduce antibiotic prescribing for LRTI in six European countries: quantitative process analysis of the GRACE/INTRO randomised controlled trial. Implement Sci, 8, 134.
- Arden-Close, E., Gidron, Y., Bayne, L. and Moss-Morris, R., 2013. Written emotional disclosure for women with ovarian cancer and their partners: randomised controlled trial. Psychooncology, 22 (10), 2262-2269.
- Bruton, A., Arden-Close, E. et al., 2013. The BREATHE study: Breathing REtraining for Asthma--Trial of Home Exercises. a protocol summary of a randomised controlled trial. Prim Care Respir J, 22 (2), PS1-PS7.
- Pacey, A., Merrick, H., Arden-Close, E., Morris, K., Rowe, R., Stark, D. and Eiser, C., 2013. Implications of sperm banking for health-related quality of life up to 1 year after cancer diagnosis. Br J Cancer, 108 (5), 1004-1011.
- Pacey, A.A., Merrick, H., Arden-Close, E., Morris, K., Barton, L.C., Crook, A.J., Tomlinson, M.J., Wright, E., Rowe, R. and Eiser, C., 2012. Monitoring fertility (semen analysis) by cancer survivors who banked sperm prior to cancer treatment. Hum Reprod, 27 (11), 3132-3139.
- Arden-Close, E., Absolom, K., Greenfield, D.M., Hancock, B.W., Coleman, R.E., Eiser, C. and Late Effects Group Sheffield, 2011. Gender differences in self-reported late effects, quality of life and satisfaction with clinic in survivors of lymphoma. Psychooncology, 20 (11), 1202-1210.
- Eiser, C., Arden-Close, E., Morris, K. and Pacey, A.A., 2011. The legacy of sperm banking: how fertility monitoring and disposal of sperm are linked with views of cancer treatment. Hum Reprod, 26 (10), 2791-2798.
- Arden-Close, E., Eiser, C. and Pacey, A., 2011. Sexual functioning in male survivors of lymphoma: a systematic review (CME). J Sex Med, 8 (7), 1833-1841.
- Arden-Close, E., Moss-Morris, R., Dennison, L., Bayne, L. and Gidron, Y., 2010. The Couples' Illness Communication Scale (CICS): development and evaluation of a brief measure assessing illness-related couple communication. Br J Health Psychol, 15 (Pt 3), 543-559.
- Arden-Close, E., Pacey, A. and Eiser, C., 2010. Health-related quality of life in survivors of lymphoma: a systematic review and methodological critique. Leuk Lymphoma, 51 (4), 628-640.
- Arden-Close, E., Gidron, Y. and Moss-Morris, R., 2008. Psychological distress and its correlates in ovarian cancer: a systematic review. Psychooncology, 17 (11), 1061-1072.
- Arden-Close, E. and Eiser, C., 2010. Developmental and Family Factors. In: French, D., Vedhara, K., Kaptein, A.A. and Weinman, J., eds. Health Psychology. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell, 372-383.
- Bolat, E., Ali, R. and Arden-Close, E., 2018. Value co-creation as an open business model: the case of gambling industry. In: 7th International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainable Business (ICSR 2018) 12-13 October 2018 Oslo, Norway.
- Bolat, E., Ali, R. and Arden-Close, E., 2018. Description: fund, to travel to Portugal in May-June 2018. In: Bolat, E., Robson, J. and Kooli, K., eds. 17th International Congress on Nonprofit and public marketing 6-7 September 2018 Bournemouth, UK. Bournemouth, UK: Bournemouth University, 1.
- Drosatos, G., Arden-Close, E., Bolat, E., Vuillier, L., Kostoulas, T., McAlaney, J., Phalp, K., Ali, R. et al., 2018. Empowering responsible online gambling by real-time persuasive information systems. 1-11.
- Yeoh, C.C., Watts, S., Stuart, B., Davies, G., Arden-Close, E., Forsyth, R., Gibbs, R. and Lewith, G., 2018. Effects of mindfulness on wellbeing in ovarian cancer. 21.
- Arden-Close, E., Yeoh, C.C., Davies, G., Watts, S., Gibbs, R., Tarrant, R., Lewith, G. and Bell, L., 2018. Experiences of mindfulness for ovarian cancer: a focus group study. 15-16.
- Arden-Close, E., Watts, S., Lewith, G., Doe, J., Wilde, B. and Bayne, L., 2017. The supportive management of depression and anxiety in ovarian cancer patients experiencing a first recurrence: A qualitative investigation. 81.
- Lewith, G., Arden-Close, E. et al., 2016. PROACTIVE: PROSTATE Cancer Support Intervention for Active Surveillance: protocol for a multi-centre feasibility trial. 16.
- Drosatos, G., Nalmpantis, F., Baines, V., Bolat, E., Vuillier, L., Kostoulas, T., Arden-Close, E., McAlaney, J., Phalp, K. and Ali, R., 2018. A conceptual architecture for empowering responsible online gambling with predictive, real-time, persuasive and interactive intervention. In: The 13th International Conference on Persuasive Technology (Persuasive’18).
- Liliana Moyers Ruiz, 2016. Chemo Brain and Prospective Memory in Breast Cancer Patients: A Mixed-Methods Study
- Tessa Corner. Is it possible to map the disease of addiction as a spectrum disorder?
Profile of Teaching PG
- Advanced Research Methods (ARMS) - lecture on Randomized Controlled Trials
- Psychological Therapy - lecture on Psycho-Oncology
Profile of Teaching UG
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis 2b (EMSA 2b) - Unit Leader and teach Qualitative Research Methods
- Health Psychology (Level 6): Lecture on Psycho-Oncology
- 3rd year project: Currently supervising 10 projects
- MOVA: Mindfulness in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer – a feasibility study (NIHR National School for Primary Care Research, 01 Nov 2016). Awarded
- PROACTIVE: PROSTATE Cancer Support Intervention for Managing ACTIVE Surveillance: a multi-centre feasibility trial (Prostate Cancer UK, 01 Sep 2015). Awarded
- Managing Distress in Primary Care: a feasibility study into the design and evaluation of a novel psychological support intervention for managing distress in prostate cancer (NIHR National School for Primary Care Research, 01 Jun 2013). Completed
- Managing Distress in Primary Care: a feasibility study into the design and evaluation of a novel psychological support intervention for managing distress in prostate cancer (NIHR National School for Primary Care Research, 01 Jan 2013). Completed
- British Psychological Society, Continuing Professional Development Chair - DHP (2016-)
- Level 6 tutor, BSc Hons (Psychology) Year 3
- Member of the Athena SWAN Committee - Psychology, Psychology Department Athena SWAN Committee
- BPS Supervision Skills workshops (4 workshops), 17 Jul 2015, Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor - British Psychological Society
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (University of Warwick, 2001)
- MSc in Health Psychology (University of Southampton, 2005)
- PhD in Health Psychology Research & Professional Practice (University of Southampton, 2009)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Academic Practice (University of Southampton, 2014)
- British Psychological Society, Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow (2012-),
- Health Professions Council, Health Psychologist (2013-),
- Higher Education Academy, Fellow (2014-),