Dr Ala Yankouskaya
- 01202 961557
- ayankouskaya at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Psychology
- Poole House P119, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Having a medical background, I completed my second PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience at Birmingham University (School of Psychology) in 2012. Prior to coming to Bournemouth, I held post doc and senior post doc positions at The Centre of Cognitive Neuropsychology at Oxford University and lectureship position at Liverpool Hope University.
My research interest lies in social cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging. I investigate the cognitive and brain mechanisms of human perception and attention. A major focus of my current research is how social factors modulate perceptual decision making and integrative processes in the brain. I am interested in the computational and neural basis of these processes, their reliability, and their uses in guiding social behaviour.
RESEARCH INTERESTS: fMRI, Neuropsychology, Face Perception, Facial expression, Self Representation, Uniltimodal Interaction, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Functional Connectivity
- Yankouskaya, A., Bührle, R., Lugt, E., Stolte, M. and Sui, J., 2020. Intertwining personal and reward relevance: evidence from the drift-diffusion model. Psychological Research, 84 (1), 32-50.
- Yankouskaya, A., Boughey, A., McCagh, J., Neal, A., De Bezenac, C. and Davies, S.J., 2019. Illness Perception Mediates the Relationship between the Severity of Symptoms and Perceived Health Status in Patients with Behçet Disease. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, 25 (8), 319-324.
- Yankouskaya, A., Palmer, D., Stolte, M., Sui, J. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. Self-bias modulates saccadic control. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (12), 2577-2585.
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G., Stolte, M., Stokes, M., Moradi, Z. and Sui, J., 2017. An anterior-posterior axis within the ventromedial prefrontal cortex separates self and reward. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 12 (12), 1859-1868.
- Moradi, Z., Mantini, D., Yankouskaya, A., Hewstone, M. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. Changes in intrinsic functional connectivity and group relevant salience: The case of sport rivalry. Behavioural Brain Research, 332, 126-135.
- Yankouskaya, A., Stolte, M., Moradi, Z., Rotshtein, P. and Humphreys, G., 2017. Integration of identity and emotion information in faces: fMRI evidence. Brain and Cognition, 116, 29-39.
- Stolte, M., Humphreys, G., Yankouskaya, A. and Sui, J., 2017. Dissociating biases towards the self and positive emotion. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (6), 1011-1022.
- Moradi, Z., Duta, M., Hewstone, M., Yankouskaya, A., Enock, F. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. The rival doesn’t catch my eyes: In-group relevance modulates inhibitory control over anti-saccades. Visual Cognition, 25 (1-3), 366-380.
- Moradi, Z., Yankouskaya, A., Duta, M., Hewstone, M. and Humphreys, G.W., 2015. Coactive processing of sensory signals for in-group but not out-group stimuli. Visual Cognition, 23 (9-10), 1124-1149.
- Sui, J., Yankouskaya, A. and Humphreys, G.W., 2015. Super-capacity me! Super-capacity and violations of race independence for self-but not for reward-associated stimuli. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 41 (2), 441-452.
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G.W. and Rotshtein, P., 2014. The processing of facial identity and expression is interactive, but dependent on task and experience. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8 (November).
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G.W. and Rotshtein, P., 2014. Differential interactions between identity and emotional expression in own and other-race faces: Effects of familiarity revealed through redundancy gains. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning Memory and Cognition, 40 (4), 1025-1038.
- Yankouskaya, A., Rotshtein, P. and Humphreys, G.W., 2014. Interactions between identity and emotional expression in face processing across the lifespan: Evidence from redundancy gains. Journal of Aging Research, 2014 (1).
- Yankouskaya, A., Booth, D.A. and Humphreys, G., 2012. Interactions between facial emotion and identity in face processing: Evidence based on redundancy gains. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics, 74 (8), 1692-1711.