Dr Ala Yankouskaya
- 01202 961557
- ayankouskaya at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Psychology
- Poole House P119, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Having a medical background, I completed my second PhD in Cognitive Neuroscience at Birmingham University (School of Psychology) in 2012. Prior to coming to Bournemouth, I held post doc and senior post doc positions at The Centre of Cognitive Neuropsychology at Oxford University and lectureship position at Liverpool Hope University.
My research interest lies in social cognitive neuroscience and neuroimaging. I investigate the cognitive and brain mechanisms of human perception and attention. A major focus of my current research is how social factors modulate perceptual decision making and integrative processes in the brain. I am interested in the computational and neural basis of these processes, their reliability, and their uses in guiding social behaviour.
RESEARCH INTERESTS: fMRI, Neuropsychology, Face Perception, Facial expression, Self Representation, Uniltimodal Interaction, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Functional Connectivity
- Yankouskaya, A. and Sui, J., 2022. Self-prioritization is supported by interactions between large-scale brain networks. European Journal of Neuroscience, 55 (5), 1244-1261.
- Massey, H., Gorczynski, P., Harper, C.M., Sansom, L., McEwan, K., Yankouskaya, A. and Denton, H., 2022. Perceived Impact of Outdoor Swimming on Health: Web-Based Survey. Interact J Med Res, 11 (1), e25589.
- Aliche, C.J., Ifeagwazi, C.M., Yankouskaya, A., Comoretto, A., Wezyk, A., Ventouris, A. and Panourgia, C., 2021. Post-traumatic stress disorder and depressive symptoms following a Herdsmen attack: The role of life meaning in mediating trait mindfulness. Stress and Health, 37 (3), 528-537.
- Yankouskaya, A. and Sui, J., 2021. Self‐positivity or self‐negativity as a function of the medial prefrontal cortex. Brain Sciences, 11 (2), 1-17.
- Viviani, G., De Luca, F., Antonucci, G., Yankouskaya, A. and Pecchinenda, A., 2021. It is not always positive: emotional bias in young and older adults. Psychological Research.
- Panourgia, C., Wezyk, A., Ventouris, A., Comoretto, A., Taylor, Z. and Yankouskaya, A., 2021. Individual factors in the relationship between stress and resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Yankouskaya, A., Bührle, R., Lugt, E., Stolte, M. and Sui, J., 2020. Intertwining personal and reward relevance: evidence from the drift-diffusion model. Psychological Research, 84 (1), 32-50.
- Yankouskaya, A., Boughey, A., McCagh, J., Neal, A., de Bezenac, C. and Davies, S.J., 2019. Illness Perception Mediates the Relationship Between the Severity of Symptoms and Perceived Health Status in Patients With Behçet Disease. J Clin Rheumatol, 25 (8), 319-324.
- Yankouskaya, A., Palmer, D., Stolte, M., Sui, J. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. Self-bias modulates saccadic control. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (12), 2577-2585.
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G., Stolte, M., Stokes, M., Moradi, Z. and Sui, J., 2017. An anterior-posterior axis within the ventromedial prefrontal cortex separates self and reward. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 12 (12), 1859-1868.
- Moradi, Z., Mantini, D., Yankouskaya, A., Hewstone, M. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. Changes in intrinsic functional connectivity and group relevant salience: The case of sport rivalry. Behavioural Brain Research, 332, 126-135.
- Yankouskaya, A., Stolte, M., Moradi, Z., Rotshtein, P. and Humphreys, G., 2017. Integration of identity and emotion information in faces: fMRI evidence. Brain and Cognition, 116, 29-39.
- Stolte, M., Humphreys, G., Yankouskaya, A. and Sui, J., 2017. Dissociating biases towards the self and positive emotion. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 70 (6), 1011-1022.
- Moradi, Z., Duta, M., Hewstone, M., Yankouskaya, A., Enock, F. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. The rival doesn’t catch my eyes: In-group relevance modulates inhibitory control over anti-saccades. Visual Cognition, 25 (1-3), 366-380.
- Moradi, Z., Yankouskaya, A., Duta, M., Hewstone, M. and Humphreys, G.W., 2015. Coactive processing of sensory signals for in-group but not out-group stimuli. Visual Cognition, 23 (9-10), 1124-1149.
- Sui, J., Yankouskaya, A. and Humphreys, G.W., 2015. Super-capacity me! Super-capacity and violations of race independence for self-but not for reward-associated stimuli. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 41 (2), 441-452.
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G.W. and Rotshtein, P., 2014. The processing of facial identity and expression is interactive, but dependent on task and experience. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8 (November).
- Yankouskaya, A., Humphreys, G.W. and Rotshtein, P., 2014. Differential interactions between identity and emotional expression in own and other-race faces: Effects of familiarity revealed through redundancy gains. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning Memory and Cognition, 40 (4), 1025-1038.
- Yankouskaya, A., Rotshtein, P. and Humphreys, G.W., 2014. Interactions between identity and emotional expression in face processing across the lifespan: Evidence from redundancy gains. Journal of Aging Research, 2014 (1).
- Yankouskaya, A., Booth, D.A. and Humphreys, G., 2012. Interactions between facial emotion and identity in face processing: Evidence based on redundancy gains. Attention, Perception, and Psychophysics, 74 (8), 1692-1711.
- Yankouskaya, A., Sui, J., Moradi, Z., Rotshtein, P. and Humphreys, G.W., 2017. Applications of Capacity Analysis into Social Cognition Domain. Systems Factorial Technology: A Theory Driven Methodology for the Identification of Perceptual and Cognitive Mechanisms. 381-400.
- Ventouris, A., Wezyk, A., Panourgia, K., Comoretto, A. and Yankouskaya, A., 2021. Keep the bounce in your step: Developing resilience as a Mental Health Psychology Practitioner during Covid -19. In: 3rd International Conference on Psychology, Counselling and Education : Redefining Resilience 29-31 October 2021 virtual conference.
- Panourgia, K., Ventouris, A., Wezyk, A., Yankouskaya, A., Comoretto, A. and Taylor, Z., 2020. COVID-19: Vicarious traumatisation and resilience in Mental Health Psychology Practitioners. New Vistas.
- Ventouris, A., Comoretto, A., Panourgia, K., Wezyc, A., Yankouskaya, A. and Taylor, Z.. COVID-19: Vicarious traumatisation and resilience in Mental Health Psychology Practitioners. New Vistas.
- Understanding resilience in mental health workers during the COVID-19 pandemic (follow-up) (BU QR-fund, 01 Nov 2021). Completed
- Understanding resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic (BU QR-fund, 01 May 2020). Completed
- BPS Conference 2021: Positive Adaptations: Psychological Strengths, Risk and resilience in mental health psychology practitioners during the COVID-19 pandemic., 01 Jul 2021, virtual