Dr Dermot McCarthy
- 01202 968742
- dmccarthy at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Executive Business Centre EB401, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I was born in Kerry (Ireland) in 1980 and studied at the University of Limerick. I graduated with a bachelor of business studies in 2003, majoring in economics and finance and doing a minor in econometrics. I continued my studies at the University of Limerick, graduating with a PhD in 2007 and remaining as a post-doctorate research fellow with the university until January 2010. Since that time I have held the position of lecturer in economics at Bournemouth University.
My research interests are cross-disciplinary, encapsulating areas of economics and employee relations. More specifically, my research focuses on public-sector economics, theory of the firm, public-sector industrial relations, employee share-ownership, and employee psychology. I have published a number of papers relating to the impact of privatisation and employee share-ownership on employee attitudes and commitment in the workplace.
- McCarthy, D., Wei, P., Homberg, F. and Tabvuma, V., 2021. Public service motivation in the Chinese public and private sectors. Evidence-based HRM, 9 (1), 1-17.
- Dragouni, M. and McCarthy, D., 2021. Museums as supportive workplaces: an empirical enquiry in the UK museum workforce. Museum Management and Curatorship.
- McCarthy, D., Alexander, P. and Jung, Y., 2021. Enhancing the organisational commitment of public sector accounting staff through the pursuit of CSR objectives. Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change.
- Chu, T.T., Hölscher, J. and McCarthy, D., 2020. The impact of productive and non-productive government expenditure on economic growth: an empirical analysis in high-income versus low- to middle-income economies. Empirical Economics, 58 (5), 2403-2430.
- McCarthy, D. and Dragouni, M., 2020. Managerialism in UK business schools: capturing the interactions between academic job characteristics, behaviour and the ‘metrics’ culture. Studies in Higher Education.
- Homberg, F., McCarthy, D. and Tabvuma, V., 2015. A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Public Service Motivation and Job Satisfaction. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION REVIEW, 75 (5), 711-722.
- McCarthy, D., Bui, H. and Sum Chau, V., 2013. Assessing Performance Determinants of Higher Education Academics in Developed and Emerging Economies: UK vs. Vietnam. Strategic Change, 22, 371-385.
- McCarthy, D. and Palcic, D., 2012. The Impact of Large-scale Employee Share Ownership Plans on Labour Productivity: The Case of Eircom. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (17), 3710-3724.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2011. Changing the Rules of the Game: The Impact of Privatization on Firm Industrial Relations. Public Management Review, 13 (6), 845-860.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. The impact of Privatisation and Employee Share-Ownership on Employee Commitment and Citizen Behaviour. Economic and Industrial Democracy: an international journal, 31, 307-326.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. Can Employee Share-Ownership Improve Employee Attitudes and Behaviour? Employee Relations, 32, 382-395.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2009. Sweetening privatisation with employee share-ownership: Good for unions and management? International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- McCarthy, D., 2015. Employees Financial Participation. In: Holscher, J. and Toman, H., eds. Palgrave Dictionary of Emerging Markets and Transition Economics. Springer.
- Mccarthy, D., 2017. Caring companies and their caring employees: an examination of the relationship between PSM and CSR. In: International Research Society For Public Management (IRSPM) Conference 1-3 April 2014 Birmingham.
- Tabvuma, V., Homberg, F. and McCarthy, D., 2014. National determinants of Public Service Motivation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-14 April 2014 Carleton University, Ottowa, Canada.
- McCarthy, D., Homberg, F., Wei, P. and Tabvuma, V., 2014. Comparing Public Service Motiviation in the Case of the Chinese Public and Private Sector. In: American Society for Public Administration 14-18 March 2013 Washington DC, USA.
- Homberg, F., Tabvuma, V. and McCarthy, D., 2013. Public Service Motivation: A meta-analytic investigation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-12 April 2013 Prague, Czech Republic.
- Hanson, J., Crowley, E. and McCarthy, D., 2012. GROW@BU: A strategy to use professional coaching behaviours to support student retention and success. In: Higher Education Academy Annual Conference - Great Expectations: Are you ready? 3-4 July 2012 University of Manchester. London: Higher Education Academy.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Economic Issues
- Business and Financial Economics
- Workshop on Research Methods - STATA
- International Study on Public Sector Motivation (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 01 Jan 2013). Awarded
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (BU Fusion Fund, 20 Mar 2012). Completed
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (British Academy, 01 Sep 2011). Completed
- Role of Employee Share Ownership in Privatisation: The Case of Aer Lingus (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 01 Sep 2008). Completed
- Privatisation and Employee Share Ownerhips: The Case of Eircom (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 20 Oct 2005). Completed
- PhD in Economics (University of Limerick, 2008)
- P4 Research Group, Associate,