Dr Dermot McCarthy
- 01202 968742
- dmccarthy at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Principal Academic
- Executive Business Centre EB401, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Copy and share the URL for this profile:
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr. Dermot McCarthy graduated from University of Limerick with a Bachelor of Business Studies in 2003, majoring in economics and finance and doing a minor in econometrics. He continued his studies at the University of Limerick, graduating with a PhD in 2007 and remained as a post-doctorate research fellow with the university until January 2010. Since that time, he has heled the positions of lecturer, senior lecturer, and principal lecturer in economics at Bournemouth University.
Dermot teaches a variety of units in economics across both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. His approach to teaching places a strong emphasis on active learning, problem-solving and critical thinking. He believes in applying innovative assessment strategies, that challenge students to apply economic theory and techniques in understanding contemporary economic and societal issues.
Dermot has been involved programme and curriculum development withing the Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics. He was Programme Leader for the department’s postgraduate courses from 2013 to 2020, overseeing two programme reviews... He has also been involved in the University’s Quality Assurance and Enhancement Group (QAEG) for many years, as well as being a member of the Business School’s AACSB AOL Group, University Senate and the Business School's Industry Advisory Board.
Dermot’s research interests are cross-disciplinary, encapsulating areas of economics and employee relations. More specifically, his research focuses on public-sector economics, theory of the firm, public-sector industrial relations, employee share-ownership, and employee psychology. In the past, Dermot has published several papers relating to the impact of privatisation and employee share-ownership on employee attitudes and commitment in the workplace. His more recent research has focused on employee motivation in public sector organisations, including local authorities, higher education, and the museums sector. At present, Dermot is working with colleagues on a research project focused on the role of government expenditure and political corruption in determining economic growth.
Dermot has been involved with several international research groups. These include an international research group on Public Service Motivation, which comprises colleagues from China, Canada and Italy. This group has been successful in attracting research funding from the National Natural Science Foundation of China and had produced several publications in the field. Dermot has also been part of the Public Private Partnerships and Privatisation (P4) research group with colleagues in the Republic of Ireland since 2007. This collaboration has attracted funding from the Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences and has produced several research articles on privatisation and employee share ownership in Ireland. At present, Dermot is working to establish a new international research group with colleagues in Vietnam, with a focus on corruption and the impact on economic growth. The group has already been successful in attracting internal seed funding and is working on producing several publications.more
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person's work contributes towards the following SDG:
Decent work and economic growth
"Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all"
- McCarthy, D., Alexander, P. and Jung, Y., 2022. Enhancing the organisational commitment of public sector accounting staff through the pursuit of CSR objectives. Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change, 18 (2), 304-324.
- McCarthy, D., Wei, P., Homberg, F. and Tabvuma, V., 2021. Public service motivation in the Chinese public and private sectors. Evidence-based HRM, 9 (1), 1-17.
- McCarthy, D. and Dragouni, M., 2021. Managerialism in UK business schools: capturing the interactions between academic job characteristics, behaviour and the ‘metrics’ culture. Studies in Higher Education, 46 (11), 2338-2354.
- Dragouni, M. and McCarthy, D., 2021. Museums as supportive workplaces: an empirical enquiry in the UK museum workforce. Museum Management and Curatorship, 36 (5), 485-503.
- Chu, T.T., Hölscher, J. and McCarthy, D., 2020. The impact of productive and non-productive government expenditure on economic growth: an empirical analysis in high-income versus low- to middle-income economies. Empirical Economics, 58 (5), 2403-2430.
- Homberg, F., McCarthy, D. and Tabvuma, V., 2015. A Meta-Analysis of the Relationship between Public Service Motivation and Job Satisfaction. Public Administration Review, 75 (5), 711-722.
- McCarthy, D., Bui, H. and Sum Chau, V., 2013. Assessing Performance Determinants of Higher Education Academics in Developed and Emerging Economies: UK vs. Vietnam. Strategic Change, 22, 371-385.
- McCarthy, D. and Palcic, D., 2012. The Impact of Large-scale Employee Share Ownership Plans on Labour Productivity: The Case of Eircom. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 23 (17), 3710-3724.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2011. Changing the Rules of the Game: The Impact of Privatization on Firm Industrial Relations. Public Management Review, 13 (6), 845-860.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. The impact of Privatisation and Employee Share-Ownership on Employee Commitment and Citizen Behaviour. Economic and Industrial Democracy: an international journal, 31, 307-326.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2010. Can Employee Share-Ownership Improve Employee Attitudes and Behaviour? Employee Relations, 32, 382-395.
- McCarthy, D., Reeves, E. and Turner, T., 2009. Sweetening privatisation with employee share-ownership: Good for unions and management? International Journal of Human Resource Management.
- McCarthy, D., 2015. Employees Financial Participation. In: Holscher, J. and Toman, H., eds. Palgrave Dictionary of Emerging Markets and Transition Economics. Springer.
- Mccarthy, D., 2017. Caring companies and their caring employees: an examination of the relationship between PSM and CSR. In: International Research Society For Public Management (IRSPM) Conference 1-3 April 2014 Birmingham.
- Tabvuma, V., Homberg, F. and McCarthy, D., 2014. National determinants of Public Service Motivation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-14 April 2014 Carleton University, Ottowa, Canada.
- McCarthy, D., Homberg, F., Wei, P. and Tabvuma, V., 2014. Comparing Public Service Motiviation in the Case of the Chinese Public and Private Sector. In: American Society for Public Administration 14-18 March 2013 Washington DC, USA.
- Homberg, F., Tabvuma, V. and McCarthy, D., 2013. Public Service Motivation: A meta-analytic investigation. In: International Research Society for Public Management Conference 9-12 April 2013 Prague, Czech Republic.
- Hanson, J., Crowley, E. and McCarthy, D., 2012. GROW@BU: A strategy to use professional coaching behaviours to support student retention and success. In: Higher Education Academy Annual Conference - Great Expectations: Are you ready? 3-4 July 2012 University of Manchester. London: Higher Education Academy.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Contemporary Economic Issues
- Business and Financial Economics
- Workshop on Research Methods - STATA
Profile of Teaching UG
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Microeconomics 2
- Macroeconomics 2
- Macroeconomics for Business 2
- Microeconomics for Business 2
- International Study on Public Sector Motivation (National Natural Science Foundation of China, 01 Jan 2013). Awarded
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (BU Fusion Fund, 20 Mar 2012). Completed
- Investigating Public Service Motivation Across Europe (British Academy, 01 Sep 2011). Completed
- Role of Employee Share Ownership in Privatisation: The Case of Aer Lingus (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 01 Sep 2008). Completed
- Privatisation and Employee Share Ownerhips: The Case of Eircom (Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 20 Oct 2005). Completed
- PhD in Economics (University of Limerick, 2008)
- P4 Research Group, Associate,