Dr Gizem Arabaci
- 01202 961463
- garabaci at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Lecturer In Psychology
- Poole House P120, Talbot Campus, Fern Barrow, Poole, BH12 5BB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
I completed BSc in Psychology and MSc in Clinical Child Psychology. I then completed my PhD and became a lecturer in Bournemouth University.
My PhD research concerned the role of cognitive mechanism (e.g., goal maintenance) and mind wandering on understanding trait level inattention. I am still interested in the link between failures in goal maintenance (e.g., goal neglect and mind wandering) and inattentive traits, with a further attempt to explore the role of cognitive load and motivation.
I have also recently become interested in exploring the link between inattentive traits and aspects of well-being such as anxiety and self-esteem.
- Hills, P.J., Arabacı, G., Fagg, J., Canter, L., Thompson, C. and Moseley, R., 2021. Low-frequency rTMS to the parietal lobe increases eye-movement carryover and decreases hazard rating. Neuropsychologia, 158.
- Parris, B.A., Wadsley, M.G., Arabaci, G., Hasshim, N., Augustinova, M. and Ferrand, L., 2021. The effect of high-frequency rTMS of the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex on the resolution of response, semantic and task conflict in the colour-word Stroop task. Brain Structure and Function, 226 (4), 1241-1252.
- Arabacı, G. and Parris, B.A., 2020. Inattention and task switching performance: the role of predictability, working memory load and goal neglect. Psychological Research, 84 (8), 2090-2110.
- Arabaci, G. and Parris, B.A., 2018. Probe-caught spontaneous and deliberate mind wandering in relation to self-reported inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive traits in adults. Scientific Reports, 8 (1).
- EPS Conference, Inattention and task switching performance: The Role of Predictability, Working Memory and Goal Neglect., 10 Jul 2019, Bournemouth
- SciTech Postgraduate Research conference of Bournemouth University, Inattention and Task Switching Performance: The role of predictability, interference, and working memory load., 09 May 2018, Bournemouth, UK
- 58th Annual Meeting of Psychonomic Society, The relationship between ADHD traits and daily-life and probe-caught spontaneous and deliberate mind wandering on sub-clinical levels., 09 Nov 2017, Vancouver, Canada
- EPS Conference, The relationship between ADHD symptoms and daily-life and probe-caught spontaneous and deliberate mind wandering in community samples., 12 Jul 2017, Reading
- Experimental Psychology Society, The relationship between N2, response inhibition and response conflict: The importance of task complexity., 08 Apr 2015, Leeds, UK
- Graduate Students Psychology Congress, Hemispheric Asymmetry in Colour-Name Matching Task, 01 Jun 2009, Istanbul, Turkey
- 15th. National Psychology Congress, Hemispheric Asymmetry in Colour-Name Matching Task., 01 Sep 2008, Istanbul, Turkey
- Introduction to Structural Equation Modelling, University of Reading by Dr Lars-Erik Malmberg, University of Oxford, 01 Mar 2018
- Perturbing and Enhancing Perception and Action using Oscillatory Neural Stimulation, Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, UK, 01 Jan 2018
- Introduction to R: workshop series, Bournemouth University, UK by Dr Claudia von Bastian and Dr Matt Green, Bournemouth Universiy, 01 Mar 2017
- Introduction to Bayesian Analysis by Prof Zoltan Dienes, Sussex University, 01 Mar 2016
- Bournemouth SPM Course for fMRI, Bournemouth University, UK by Dr Guillaume Flandin, University Collage London, 01 Mar 2016
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Basic Training (Turkey), 03 Jun 2013
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Training for Children with Anxiety Disorders, 04 Mar 2013
- Family Counselling Certificate Training, Turkey, 05 Feb 2012
- PGCE in PG Certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills (The Academy of Play and Child Psychotherapy & Leeds Beckett University, 2020)
- PhD in Psychology (Bournemouth University, 2018)
- MSc in Clinical Child Psychology (Anglia Ruskin University, 2014)
- BSc (Hons) in Psychology (Izmir University of Economics, 2011)
- Second Place in oral presentation (in SciTech Postgraduate Research conference, 2018)
- Third Place in Young Psychologists Research Competition (as the research group) (Turkish Psychological Association, 2010)
- Play Therapy UK & Play Therapy International, trainee member (2019-),
- British Psychological Society, Graduate Member (2015-2017),