Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:Close
My research interests centre on autism spectrum conditions (ASC). Previously, I've used neurometabolic (MRI, DTI) and electrophysiological (EEG, MEG) methods to investigate language, emotion and social processes in people with and without ASC. My doctoral research concerned the broad framework known as 'grounded' or 'embodied' cognition, and much of my research has considered how seemingly basic sensorimotor regions of the brain may contribute to 'higher order' thought; such that motor problems, in autism, could cause difficulties in other domains.
More recently, I have focused on llate diagnosis and the female profile of autism spectrum conditions. Girls and women with ASC are an understudied group and are commonly mis- or undiagnosed as they do not fit the traditional, male conceptualisation of autism. I also study self-injury, suicidality, mental and physical health and stress in autistic adults.
- Moseley, R., Gregory, N.J., Smith, P., Allison, C. and Baron-Cohen, S., 2019. A “choice”, an “addiction”, a way “out of the lost”; Exploring self-injury in autistic people without intellectual disability. Molecular Autism.
- Moseley, R., Hitchiner, R. and Kirkby, J.A., 2018. Self-reported sex differences in high-functioning adults with autism: a meta-analysis. Molecular Autism.
- Moseley, R. and Pulvermuller, F., 2018. What can autism teach us about the role of sensorimotor systems in higher cognition? New clues from studies on language, action semantics, and abstract emotional concept processing. Cortex.
- Ypma, R.J.F. et al., 2016. Default mode hypoconnectivity underlies a sex-related autism spectrum. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging.
- Moseley, R.L., Correia, M.C., Baron-Cohen, S., Shtyrov, Y., Pulvermuller, F. and Mohr, B., 2016. Reduced volume of the arcuate fasciculus in adults with high-functioning autism spectrum conditions. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- Moseley, R., Ypma, R.J.F., Holt, R.J., Floris, D., Chura, L.R., Spencer, M.D., Baron-Cohen, S., Suckling, J., Bullmore, E. and Rubinov, M., 2015. Whole-brain functional hypoconnectivity as an endophenotype of autism in adolescents. NeuroImage: Clinical, 9, 140-152.
- Moseley, R., Shtyrov, Y., Mohr, B., Lombardo, M.V., Baron-Cohen, S. and Pulvermuller, F., 2015. Lost for emotion words: what motor and limbic brain activity reveals about autism and semantic theory. Neuroimage, 104, 413-422.
- Moseley, R. and Pulvermuller, F., 2014. Nouns, verbs, objects, actions, and abstractions: Local fMRI activity indexes semantics, not lexical categories. Brain & Language, 132, 28-42.
- Moseley, R., Pulvermuller, F., Mohr, B., Lombardo, M.V., Baron-Cohen, S. and Shtyrov, Y., 2014. Brain Routes for Reading in Adults with and without Autism: EMEG Evidence. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 44 (1), 137-153.
- Pulvermuller, F., Moseley, R., Egorova, N., Shebani, Z. and Boulenger, V., 2014. Motor cognition–motor semantics: Action perception theory of cognition and communication. Neuropsychologia, 55, 71-84.
- Moseley, R., Pulvermuller, F. and Shtyrov, Y., 2013. Sensorimotor semantics on the spot: brain activity dissociates between conceptual categories within 150 ms. Scientific Reports, 3.
- Moseley, R., Mohr, B., Lombardo, M.V., Baron-Cohen, S., Hauk, O. and Pulvermuller, F., 2013. Brain and behavioral correlates of action semantic deficits in autism. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7 (725), 1-10.
- Moseley, R., Mohr, B., Lombardo, M.V., Baron-Cohen, S., Hauk, O. and Pulvermuller, F., 2013. Brain and behavioral correlates of action semantic deficits in autism. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 7.
- Moseley, R., Carota, F., Hauk, O., Mohr, B. and Pulvermuller, F., 2012. A role for the motor system in binding abstract emotional meaning. Cerebral Cortex, 22, 1634-1647.
- Carota, F., Moseley, R. and Pulvermuller, F., 2012. Body-part-specific Representations of Semantic Noun Categories. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 24 (6), 1492-1509.
- Moseley, R., 2018. The limbic system. In: Braaten, E.B., ed. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., 964-966.
- Moseley, R., 2018. The Extreme Male Brain theory of autism. In: Braaten, E.B., ed. The SAGE Encyclopedia of Intellectual and Developmental Disorders. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc., 979.
- Moseley, R., Kiefer, M. and Pulvermuller, F., 2016. Grounding and embodiment of concepts and meaning: a neurobiological perspective. In: Coello, Y. and Fischer, M., eds. Foundations of Embodied Cognition. Psychology Press.
- Turner-Cobb, J.M., Sinimeri, D., Moseley, R. and Gamble, T.R., 2019. Visualization of social support alters mood: clinical implications of a conceptual mapping tool. In: The American Psychosomatic Society (APS) Annual Scientific Meeting 6-10 March 2019 Vancouver, Canada.
- Moseley, R. and Kirkby, J., 2018. Autism screening tool may not detect the condition in some women. The Conversation. Available from: https://theconversation.com/autism-screening-tool-may-not-detect-the-condition-in-some-women-96488.
- Moseley, R., 2017. Ten Things I Wish People Knew About Autism. Soapbox Science. Available from: http://soapboxscience.org/ten-things-wish-people-knew-autism-meet-rachel-moseley/.
- Moseley, R., 2016. Autism is nothing to be A-shamed about: reflections on the muddled messages from the media. Soapbox Science. Available from: http://soapboxscience.org/?p=3330.
- Moseley, R., 2016. Figuring out the human brain and how being on the autism spectrum affects it. Womanthology. Available from: http://www.womanthology.co.uk/figuring-out-the-human-brain-and-how-being-on-the-autism-spectrum-affects-it-dr-rachel-moseley-lecturer-in-psychology-at-bournemouth/.
Profile of Teaching PG
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Clinical and Cognitive Neuropsychology
Profile of Teaching UG
- Experimental Methods and Statistical Analysis 2a
- Educational Psychology and Special Educational Needs
- Clinical and Developmental Psychology
- Programme Leader, Clinical and Developmental Neuropsychology, Psychology
- Placement coordinator (MSc), Psychology
- Unit Leader, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Department of Psychology
- Unit Leader, Clinical and Cognitive Neuropsychology, Department of Psychology
Public Engagement & Outreach Activities
- Talk given at Festival of Learning
- Talk given as part of Pint of Science Bournemouth
- Talk given at the local autism support group, Dorset Adult Asperger Support
- Helping out at BU's stall to talk to the public about the brain and brain injury. Talking to the public in the city centre.
- Bournemouth Air Festival 2017: an interactive presentation about the brain, autism and psychology
- Soapbox Science, 2017: Speaking to the public in Milton Keynes about the brain and about autism spectrum conditions.
- Festival of Learning, 2017: 'Neurodiversity is the spice of life', a talk on autism spectrum conditions
- Festival of Learning, 2017: Your Brilliant Brain. Interactive activity stand for families, to learn about the brain.
- Soapbox Science presentation: Amazing Brains and the Autism Spectrum
- Psychology 101: Presentation to secondary school students as part of BU Summer Breaks
- Autistica Autism Research Conference, Exploring self-injury in autistic people, 06 Sep 2018, City University of London
- International Meeting for Autism Research, Sex differences in autistic adults: a meta-analysis, 09 May 2018, Rotterdam
- Society for the Neurobiology of Language, Neurophysiological correlates of action word and sound processing in autism spectrum conditions and neurotypical controls: A mismatch negativity (MMN) study, 17 Aug 2016, University College London
- Building Resilience, 01 Jun 2018
- Understanding Boundaries, 25 May 2018
- Research Communication Day, 23 May 2018
- Bid Writing Retreat - British Academy Small Grants, 14 Mar 2018
- Supporting Students Health and Wellbeing, 09 Mar 2018
- Handling Loss Issues in Students, 01 Jan 2018
- Mental Health First Aid, 01 Sep 2017
- Doctoral Supervision Development, 01 Jan 2017
- Preparing Impact Case Studies, 01 Jan 2017
- Innovate: Teaching Large Groups, 01 Jan 2017
- PG Certificate in Education, 18 Sep 2016
External Media and Press
- Girls with autism show anomalies in 'daydreaming' network, Spectrum News, 18 Aug 2016. https://spectrumnews.org/news/girls-autism-show-anomalies-daydreaming-network/
- Autism screening tool may not detect the condition in some women, The Conversation, 23 May 2018. https://theconversation.com/autism-screening-tool-may-not-detect-the-condition-in-some-women-96488
- Aspergers and Me: Fixers video, ITV, 14 Mar 2018. http://www.fixers.org.uk/index.php?module_instance_id=11312&core_alternate_io_handler=view_fixer_news_video&data_ref_id=16859&news_data_ref_id=16858&video_no=1
- The Supporters: Experts talk about autism, Fixers, 21 Mar 2018. http://www.fixers.org.uk/feel-happy-fix/feel-happy-on-the-spectrum/the-supporters.php