Dr Hany Elbardan
- 01202 968707
- helbardan at bournemouth dot ac dot uk
- Senior Lecturer In Accounting and Finance
- Executive Business Centre EB401, Bournemouth University, 89 Holdenhurst Road, Bournemouth, BH8 8EB
Use a QR Code reader on a mobile device to add this person as a contact:
Dr Hany Elbardan has a PhD in accounting (Brunel University), MSc and BSc (Hons) in accounting (Alexandria University). He is a Senior Lecturer in Accounting and Finance in the Business School within the Faculty of Management of Bournemouth University. Before joining Bournemouth University in 2017, Hany worked as an Assistant Professor at American University in Kuwait (2015-2016), a lecturer at Roehampton University (2013-2014), a part-time lecturer at Brunel University (2012-2015) and as a senior teaching assistant at Alexandria University, Egypt (1998-2009). In addition to his university work, he acted as a consultant at GHEM consultants, UK (2015-2017). Dr. Elbardan has served on different committees at the university, School, College, and departmental levels.
His research interests include accounting, accounting information systems, ERP systems, internal and external auditing, internal control, risk management, managerial accounting and Corporate Governance. He has published his research in refereed international journals such as Information Systems Management, Journal of Enterprise Information Management and Journal of applied accounting research... He has presented most of his research papers at international and regional conferences such as the Accounting and finance association of Australia and New Zealand, British Accounting and Finance Association, Americas Conference on Information Systems. Dr Elbardan is a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Management Science and Business Administration, Journal of Organizational Studies and Innovation and Organisational Studies and Innovation Review.
Hany teaches in a wide spectrum of both undergraduate and postgraduate levels as well as Executive MBA and PhD supervision. His teaching areas include financial accounting, accounting theory and practice, managerial accounting, auditing, environmental accounting and reporting and accounting information systems (ERP, Sage50).more
Dr Elbardan’s research interests range from Accounting, Corporate Governance, and Auditing, through to Information Systems and Social Sciences. He has gained experience in both quantitative and qualitative research methods across different research areas and theories such as institutional, agency and tournament theories. Over the last few years, his research focus was on the internal auditing adaptation, as a corporate governance mechanism, following the introduction of Enterprise resource planning systems. He is also interested in the associations between Executive Compensation and Firm Performance, divergence/convergence of corporate governance codes, auditor-to-client revolving door, and forensic accounting.
- Uyar, A., Elbardan, H. and Yamen, A., 2019. Drivers of convergence/divergence of corporate governance codes of MENA countries. International Journal of Business Governance and Ethics, 13 (3), 217-243.
- Elbardan, H., Kotb, A. and Halabi, H., 2018. The Auditor-to-Client Revolving Door: A Structured Literature Review. International Journal of Auditing, 22 (3), 464-485.
- Elsayed, N. and Elbardan, H., 2018. Investigating the associations between executive compensation and firm performance: Agency theory or tournament theory. Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 19 (2), 245-270.
- Ahmi, A., Rahim, S.A. and Elbardan, H., 2018. A global trend of the electronic supply chain management (e-SCM) research: A bibliometric analysis. International Journal of Supply Chain Management, 7 (5), 535-542.
- Elbardan, H., Ali, M. and Ghoneim, A., 2016. Enterprise Resource Planning Systems Introduction and Internal Auditing Legitimacy: An Institutional Analysis. Information Systems Management, 33 (3), 231-247.
- El-Sayed, N. and Elbardan, H., 2016. Executive Compensation, Corporate Governance and Corporate Performance: Evidence from the UK. JOURNAL OF ORGANISATIONAL STUDIES AND INNOVATION, 3 (2), 31-49.
- Abidi and Elbardan, H., 2015. Explaining Arab Manufacturing Exporters’ Preference for Western over MENA Markets: The Key Role of Information Availability and R&D Spillovers. Organisational Studies and Innovation Review, 1 (1), 108-114.
- Elbardan, H., Ali, M. and Ghoneim, A., 2015. The dilemma of internal audit function adaptation: The impact of ERP and corporate governance pressures. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, 28 (1), 93-106.
- Elbardan, H. and Rashwan Kholeif, A.O., 2017. Enterprise resource planning, corporate governance and internal auditing: An institutional perspective.
- Muzarurwi, S., Nordberg, D. and Elbardan, H., 2019. How UK local authorities control their subsidiaries: A conundrum in corporate and public governance. In: British Academy of Management 2-5 September 2019 Aston University, Birmingham.
- Elbardan, H. and Nordberg, D., 2019. Different marches of the machines: Institutional change and identity work of professionals. In: European Group for Organizational Studies 3-6 July 2019 Edinburgh.
- Elbardan, H., kotb, A. and Halabi, H., 2019. Mapping a Decade of Internal Auditing Research: A Post-Enron Literature Review. In: European Accounting association (EAA) Conference 29-31 May 2019 Paphos, Cyprus.
- Ahmi, A., Elbardan, H. and Raja Mohd Ali, R.H., 2019. Bibliometric analysis of published literature on industry 4.0.
- Ahmi, A., Elbardan, H. and Ali, R.H.R.M., 2019. Bibliometric Analysis of Published Literature on Industry 4.0. IEEE, 1-6.
- Kotb, A., Halabi, H. and Elbardan, H., 2018. The auditor-to-client revolving door: A structured literature review. 464-485.
- Elbardan, H. and Elsayed, N., 2018. ERP Systems and Accounting Research Trends - Profiling Paper. In: British Accounting and Finance Association Annual conference 9-11 April 2018 London, UK..
- Elsayed, N. and Elbardan, H., 2017. Does pay influence performance more or does performance influence pay more. In: Accounting and finance association of Australia and New Zealand reognices 2 July-4 December 2017 Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.
- Elbardan, H., 2013. Internal Auditing Legitimacy and ERP Systems Implementation: An Institutional Case Analysis of a Multinational Bank. In: British Accounting and Finance Association Annual Conference 9-11 April 2013 Newcastle, UK.
- Elbardan, H. and Ali, M., 2012. Internal audit function response to ERP systems implementation. 976-985.
- Elbardan, H. and Ali, M., 2011. Enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems implementation and internal audit function change.
- Simbarashe Muzarurwi. The extent of internal audit influence in enhancing corporate governance in UK local government organisations
- Murray Gladden. Governance of the family businesses: the case of Chaebol in South Korea
Profile of Teaching PG
- Environmental Reporting
- Advanced Accounting and Financial Analysis
- Corporate Governance and Ethics
Profile of Teaching UG
- Environmental reporting
- Financial reporting
- Advanced Accounting Theory and Practice
- Research Study
- Ulster University, External Examiner (2019-)
- Fully funded Sustainability and CSR Reporting Workshop sponsored by the British Council to build links between British and Russian academics at the University of Portsmouth, 18 Jul 2019
- Corporate Governance and the effectiveness of Boards summer school, University of Groningen, the Netherlands, 07 Jul 2018
- Doctoral Supervision: New Supervisors, 24 Jan 2018
- Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examination- West Virginia University (online), 02 Feb 2016
- Accounting Analytics - University of Pennsylvania (online), 11 Jan 2016
- PhD in Accounting (Brunel University, 2014)
- MSc in Accounting (Alexandria University, 2005)
- BSc (Hons) in Accounting (Alexandria university, 1997)
- The best paper award at the conference of the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, Australia, 2 - 4 July (2017). (Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, 2017)
- Higher Education Academy, Senior Fellow (2018-),
- Management and business academy, Associate (2014-),
- British Accounting and Finance Association, Member (2013-),